03/06/18 06:56 PM
03/06/18 06:56 PM
my own world
theraif Offline OP
master
theraif  Offline OP
master

my own world

There is no shortage of good news of packed dragstrips based on recent events varying from NHRA national events, to this past weekend’s March Meet, to any number of heads-up outlaw events.

But one recent example of success gone awry is the recent Discovery Channel No Prep event held at the brand new South Carolina Motorplex (SCM), formerly Orangeburg Dragstrip. Kudos are due to SCM for the hard work invested into the track including new guardrails, timing system, refurbished race tower, PA/sound system, and approximately 15 acres of expanded parking.

But even the shiniest of towers does not keep the current state of rampant social media buffs from placing any track on the highest pedestal or blasting the harshest criticisms. Agent 1320 received numerous calls from racers who reported the debacle of hosting the reported 10,000+ spectators who came for this grand opening event.

The first ingredient for failure reported to the Agent was the unprepared entry gate causing long backups on the county roads leading to the track. One specific report spoke about the single entry gate utilizing ONE cell phone to attempt to process charge cards and handle event phone calls at the same time.

South Carolina Motorplex had sold a considerable amount of VIP passes that included reserved parking and seating. That should have been the first indicator to track operators of the need to prepare for success. Many of those holding VIP passes arrived to find no remaining VIP parking, no provided grandstand seating, or were even refused entry to the strip by law enforcement that shut down the gate.

An example of the plethora of negative day-after Facebook reviews to SCM came from Tim Rahl who stated, “We bought five tickets over a month in advance. Drove almost 4 hours and waited in line for an hour to get up and have the police tell us we can't go in because it's full. Now we try and battle to get a refund. Glad you guys let us disappoint our kids.”

The moral of the story is that with the success of these drag racing events comes the two-edged sword of today’s social media. If you read the number of scathing reviews following the Orangeburg event, you can't help but consider who will risk attending the next large-scale race the track will host. That is a black eye for drag racing overall. [03/05/18]

Re: i guess South Carolina Motorplex was a cluster f*** [Re: theraif] #2462153
03/06/18 07:32 PM
03/06/18 07:32 PM
Cochise Co, Az, From Detroit
moetown Offline
enthusiast
moetown  Offline
enthusiast

Cochise Co, Az, From Detroit
Originally Posted By theraif

There is no shortage of good news of packed dragstrips based on recent events varying from NHRA national events, to this past weekend’s March Meet, to any number of heads-up outlaw events.

But one recent example of success gone awry is the recent Discovery Channel No Prep event held at the brand new South Carolina Motorplex (SCM), formerly Orangeburg Dragstrip. Kudos are due to SCM for the hard work invested into the track including new guardrails, timing system, refurbished race tower, PA/sound system, and approximately 15 acres of expanded parking.

But even the shiniest of towers does not keep the current state of rampant social media buffs from placing any track on the highest pedestal or blasting the harshest criticisms. Agent 1320 received numerous calls from racers who reported the debacle of hosting the reported 10,000+ spectators who came for this grand opening event.

The first ingredient for failure reported to the Agent was the unprepared entry gate causing long backups on the county roads leading to the track. One specific report spoke about the single entry gate utilizing ONE cell phone to attempt to process charge cards and handle event phone calls at the same time.

South Carolina Motorplex had sold a considerable amount of VIP passes that included reserved parking and seating. That should have been the first indicator to track operators of the need to prepare for success. Many of those holding VIP passes arrived to find no remaining VIP parking, no provided grandstand seating, or were even refused entry to the strip by law enforcement that shut down the gate.

An example of the plethora of negative day-after Facebook reviews to SCM came from Tim Rahl who stated, “We bought five tickets over a month in advance. Drove almost 4 hours and waited in line for an hour to get up and have the police tell us we can't go in because it's full. Now we try and battle to get a refund. Glad you guys let us disappoint our kids.”

The moral of the story is that with the success of these drag racing events comes the two-edged sword of today’s social media. If you read the number of scathing reviews following the Orangeburg event, you can't help but consider who will risk attending the next large-scale race the track will host. That is a black eye for drag racing overall. [03/05/18]

That's how Tucson dragway was for the outlaws event minus the vip parking issues.
Tucson even ran out of food and water. panic

Last edited by moetown; 03/06/18 07:32 PM.
Re: i guess South Carolina Motorplex was a cluster f*** [Re: theraif] #2462154
03/06/18 07:33 PM
03/06/18 07:33 PM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
Preparation and planning.

When they said 'no prep' I guess that meant no prep on anything....

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Re: i guess South Carolina Motorplex was a cluster f*** [Re: theraif] #2462204
03/06/18 08:55 PM
03/06/18 08:55 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Well...SGMP should be as prepared as any, and it still sounds like it's always chaos down there. Seems like it comes with the territory.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: i guess South Carolina Motorplex was a cluster f*** [Re: theraif] #2462206
03/06/18 08:58 PM
03/06/18 08:58 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Bring cash to the gate. A debit card for that is stupid.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: i guess South Carolina Motorplex was a cluster f*** [Re: madscientist] #2462270
03/06/18 10:19 PM
03/06/18 10:19 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted By madscientist
Bring cash to the gate. A debit card for that is stupid.

What I thought. National event maybe, but I've never seen it at a local track.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: i guess South Carolina Motorplex was a cluster f*** [Re: theraif] #2462311
03/06/18 11:11 PM
03/06/18 11:11 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Uh, apparently whomever wrote that the March Meet was a shining example of success...hasn't attended one. Compared to Nationals and Divisionals I've raced at (and they have issues) The March Meet was a mess. I enjoyed it, but still a mess.

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: i guess South Carolina Motorplex was a cluster f*** [Re: moetown] #2462416
03/07/18 03:02 AM
03/07/18 03:02 AM
KY
65pacecar Offline
master
65pacecar  Offline
master

KY
Originally Posted By moetown
Originally Posted By theraif

That's how Tucson dragway was for the outlaws event minus the vip parking issues.
Tucson even ran out of food and water. panic

Who needs water in the desert anyway?

Re: i guess South Carolina Motorplex was a cluster f*** [Re: theraif] #2462458
03/07/18 10:42 AM
03/07/18 10:42 AM
nj
J
JAMESDART Offline
mopar
JAMESDART  Offline
mopar
J

nj
Sounds better than shutting down drag racing.

Re: i guess South Carolina Motorplex was a cluster f*** [Re: theraif] #2463075
03/08/18 01:37 PM
03/08/18 01:37 PM
Marion, South Carolina [><]
an8sec70cuda Offline
I Live Here
an8sec70cuda  Offline
I Live Here

Marion, South Carolina [><]
Was their own dumba$$ fault for having such a big draw event at a little track like that. The name sounds fancy, but it's still just Orangeburg dragstrip. It is a nice track, but it is a small venue.

Should have had it at Darlington.

CHIP
'70 hemicuda, 575" Hemi, 727, Dana 60
'69 road runner, 440-6, 18 spline 4 speed, Dana 60
'71 Demon, 340, low gear 904, 8.75
'73 Chrysler New Yorker, 440, 727, 8.75
'90 Chevy 454SS Silverado, 476" BBC, TH400, 14 bolt
'06 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax
Re: i guess South Carolina Motorplex was a cluster f*** [Re: theraif] #2463138
03/08/18 03:54 PM
03/08/18 03:54 PM
Bowling Green, KY
C
cudaboy Offline
master
cudaboy  Offline
master
C

Bowling Green, KY
Beech Bend is a fairly large facility that has a few large events. Even with multiple gates open, we were still in line for over an hour to get in the gate.

Concession lines were even worse.

Dennis

Re: i guess South Carolina Motorplex was a cluster f*** [Re: cudaboy] #2463216
03/08/18 06:14 PM
03/08/18 06:14 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
That is why I camp at Bowling Green and bring my own food, never had a bad event there except of course for the heat and the monsoons... runaway

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!