03/16/09 11:54 AM
03/16/09 11:54 AM
Chicago, Illinois
donscuda Offline
top fuel
donscuda  Offline
top fuel

Chicago, Illinois
Yes, there is a body in white program, I went with Larry Griffith last week to pick his car up at the factory in Detroit. You have to fill out an application and be accepted by the factory in order to get one though....

Re: 09 Challenger - Body In White Build [Re: ZIPPY] #246195
03/16/09 06:58 PM
03/16/09 06:58 PM
NC
440Jim Offline
I Live Here
440Jim  Offline
I Live Here

NC
Quote:

$4990
There is no BIW program yet but Mopar Performance is working on it.

If they can supply them at that price, I think they could sell a bunch.

I thought they were only going to supply them to stock class race teams. Good to see they are trying to supply to a wider market.

1993 Daytona, 5.50 at 130mph (1/8) 1.19 sixty ft (PG). Link to 572 B1 - Part 1
Re: 09 Challenger - Body In White Build [Re: 440Jim] #246196
03/18/09 10:30 AM
03/18/09 10:30 AM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Quote:

Quote:

$4990
There is no BIW program yet but Mopar Performance is working on it.

If they can supply them at that price, I think they could sell a bunch.

I thought they were only going to supply them to stock class race teams. Good to see they are trying to supply to a wider market.

Thanks Jim. There are alot of positive things like that going on at MP these days but with so few people left it's a struggle. The desire is definitely there to make a real program happen.

Again, there is no BIW program yet and if anyone believes there is...sorry, they are mistaken. The build seen here is a one shot deal that was sold because it had a moonroof, no other reason.

It's a little more difficult than stated above to create a BIW program, due to the different divisions of Chrysler being operated separate from one another. For example Mopar Performance can not just tell the assembly plant what to do...it doesn't work that way.

It's going to take someone at or near the very top of the entire corporation....someone that has direct influence over everyone to make it happen. The business case needs to be built and presented properly, which is time consuming.

I don't think anyone would want an actual scrap body because it can literally be anything. It might be perfect other than a few runs in the paint, or it might be welded together 8 inches out of square. I'm pretty sure folks would be unhappy if they paid nearly 5 grand for something that wasn't welded together properly.

For $4990, the least somebody could expect is something that's been put together right....OK the paint may not need to be perfect but that's about as far as I'd go with that idea.

Re: 09 Challenger - Body In White Build [Re: ZIPPY] #246197
03/18/09 08:52 PM
03/18/09 08:52 PM
Home
S
SRT6776 Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
SRT6776  Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
S

Home
Quote:

due to the different divisions of Chrysler being operated separate from one another. For example Mopar Performance can not just tell the assembly plant what to do...it doesn't work that way.

It's going to take someone at or near the very top of the entire corporation....someone that has direct influence over everyone to make it happen. The business case needs to be built and presented properly, which is time consuming.

I don't think anyone would want an actual scrap body because it can literally be anything. It might be perfect other than a few runs in the paint, or it might be welded together 8 inches out of square. I'm pretty sure folks would be unhappy if they paid nearly 5 grand for something that wasn't welded together properly.

For $4990, the least somebody could expect is something that's been put together right....OK the paint may not need to be perfect but that's about as far as I'd go with that idea.

This kind of reminds me of how SRT was apparently started. A dude (forget his name, sorry) went up to Wolfgang Bernard and asked if they could make the SRT4. Wolfgang said go for it, as long as it is a profit center and then told the dude he use to run AMG back in Germany.....

Re: 09 Challenger - Body In White Build [Re: prochargedhemi] #246198
03/24/09 10:10 AM
03/24/09 10:10 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

$4990 and Click here to see how he got it.

There is no BIW program yet but Mopar Performance is working on it. The trick to making bodies available is going to be figuring out how to offer them without shorting the drag pak program.....

it would actually be rather easy, just put all defect shells to the side. theres your BIW program (i can tell you they WILL scrap a bunch of shells)

That is how Ford does it. If a Mustang comes down teh assembly line, and a line worker bumps into a body and scratches/dings the car, they pull it off, and bam, BIW. Same thing with a paint defect, if does not pass Ford standards, has a flaw of some sort, gets pulled, and bam, a BIW. Obviously a little more complicated than that, but you get the idea.

OK, we got any updates on the car? How is it coming Jimmy?

Re: 09 Challenger - Body In White Build #246199
03/24/09 01:31 PM
03/24/09 01:31 PM
back home in georgia ,lake sid...
105630 Offline
enthusiast
105630  Offline
enthusiast

The car is being stripped this week,we have a composite shop going to make the hood ,doors and fender and deck lid molds off the car and supply us with lite weigth body parts.As of right now I'm trying to get the front suspenion parts we need to set ride height and the engine cradle that holds the suspenion pieces .Its going to take a while to get this stuff together by the mopar shop ,also they are trying to get the dash and door panels for the car ,they are required in my class .Later this week we are starting to drill out the spot welds so we can drop the floor pan out in one piece as they also must go back in to the car once finished.e are also working with a couple of people on suspenion piece for this car so that it will also be legal in most racing classes.Things should start rolling good by June and will post as soon as there is something to show.But understand this ,right now there is a lot of stuff that will be needed to build a body in white and unless you are willing to chase stuff for a while until parts come more avaible you will be spending lots of money.I have friends in the paint and body business and dealership people and just to give an example to you The parts for the car to get the front rolling and some front end pieces was $6000.00 BEFORE TAX,AND their cost .Im very happy with the car and look forward to building it and hopefully help open the door to connections on getting parts for them,so if you really want one start saving today cause the parts do add up.

5115455-39f8_1.jpg (468 downloads)
Re: 09 Challenger - Body In White Build [Re: 105630] #246200
03/24/09 03:35 PM
03/24/09 03:35 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cool.
What DO you plan on for teh rear suspension? Ladder bar? Or stock type?

Got any color combos picked out, thinking about? Figure out which motor your gonna go with? Tranny?

Thanks for teh update.

Re: 09 Challenger - Body In White Build [Re: 105630] #246201
03/28/09 01:14 PM
03/28/09 01:14 PM
Norwich CT USA
Defbob Offline
master
Defbob  Offline
master

Norwich CT USA
I see your 99 Hemi is for sale. what will you be powering the car with?

Re: 09 Challenger - Body In White Build [Re: Defbob] #246202
03/28/09 08:45 PM
03/28/09 08:45 PM
105630 Offline
enthusiast
105630  Offline
enthusiast

Most likely a BAE hemi ,twin turbo ,we just are unsure about spenting thousands of dollars on an untried combination.The BAE has been tried and makes more raw power and there are tried and true combination out there.The 99 hemi is a bad piece and I would love to use it if it doesn't sell ,I will not say never right now,as of yesterday I spoke to a guy who is using the NHRA 99 hemi 4'9 bore blocks and is adding deck plates to them and builting 645 inch engines as we speak and we are keeping touch on his process and may let him do the custom work to my hemi later on.But right now we are looking at the BAE as the powerplant.

Re: 09 Challenger - Body In White Build [Re: 105630] #246203
03/29/09 06:59 AM
03/29/09 06:59 AM
Norwich CT USA
Defbob Offline
master
Defbob  Offline
master

Norwich CT USA
BAE Hemi

I had measured my friends Challenger and my Hemi back in October. my hemi is 29" wide and the engine bay between the shock towers is 30", tight fit but it will work. Go with the BAE Hemi.

save the 99 Hemi for a Drag Radial car

Page 2 of 2 1 2