Topic Options
#2459551 - 03/01/18 04:34 PM Chipper / shredder options
MoparKansas Offline
super stock

Loc: KS
Hi all. I bought a house last fall that has some woods behind and they have begun encroaching on the yard. I have been thinking about getting a chipper/shredder to deal with some of the little trees and branches that I cut off. There are some Sears ones that also have a vacuum function and are self propelled that would probably come in handy.

Does the vacuum and self propel function add more complexity that is not needed or should I stick to a standard chipper shredder? Are there any brands that should be avoided for either style? I'll be buying used and probably in the 8 - 10 HP range. Seems like you can pick them up for about $200.

#2459701 - 03/01/18 09:40 PM Re: Chipper / shredder options [Re: MoparKansas]
Paul_B Offline
pro stock

Loc: Tallmadge, Ohio
I’ve use a Troybilt chipper vac that’s 5hp and self propelled mostly as a chipper. It’s one of the heavier duty units at least for troybilt. The vacuum function works, but I don’t use it much as my bagging mower does a much better job picking up leaves.

5hp gets the job done, but it’s slow when dealing with anything above about an inch. I’d love to have an 8hp or larger one. Self propelled is nice to get the chipper to where I need it in my yard.

The nice part with the chipper vacs is they can bag the chipped material as you go which makes it handy if you want to dispose of your chipped brush in a different spot than where it’s at.

Finally watch your feed chute size on whatever chipper you buy. Some models have such a small opening it complicates throwing brush into it.

#2459959 - 03/02/18 01:12 PM Re: Chipper / shredder options [Re: MoparKansas]
therocks Offline
Its Lost

Loc: Niles , Ohio
I have a Troy also.Mines the big one at 10 horse.Used it a lot when we bought it like 12 years ago.Works well.Rocky

#2459983 - 03/02/18 01:48 PM Re: Chipper / shredder options [Re: MoparKansas]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Mass
Originally Posted By MoparKansas
Hi all. Are there any brands that should be avoided

Only the ones that the misses or Ex can't be fitted into

#2460128 - 03/02/18 05:50 PM Re: Chipper / shredder options [Re: MoparKansas]
bboogieart Offline
master

Loc: Lost and Spaced
Originally Posted By MoparKansas
Hi all. I bought a house last fall that has some woods behind and they have begun encroaching on the yard.

Not sure how much woods you have.
I have a similar situation here.
I simply haul the cuttings into the woods and make a brush pile out of sight. The wild life loves it. No money or gas spent, little effort spent, and it goes back to nature.

#2460322 - 03/02/18 11:25 PM Re: Chipper / shredder options [Re: bboogieart]
rhad Offline
super stock

Loc: garnett kansas
my father in law had a chipper,he put the chipped stuff on/in his garden,made for a better soil,or so he said?

#2492087 - 05/04/18 03:01 PM Re: Chipper / shredder options [Re: rhad]
MoparKansas Offline
super stock

Just to follow up on this, I found one on the facebook marketplace the guy wanted $50 for. 9 HP and it had the vacuum function and was self propelled. He said he didn't know if it ran or not, but I got it home unhooked the safety wire for the vacuum nozzle and it fired right up. Warmed it for a minute and changed the oil and it has been humming along ever since. Does leak gas out of the carb when not running so I'll need to rebuild it at some point or put a gas shut off. I spent another couple of hundred bucks getting the missing bag and a vacuum hose for it after I determined it was going to run OK.

As mentioned before, the big thing on these is the throat size. I wouldn't get anything smaller than 3" which is what this has. It would never chip a 3 inch log on it's best day - probably about an inch and a half its it's working limit or you would stand there all day for one branch. Also every branch has a fork and you need to trim most of them to get the fork through the throat of the machine so have a good limb trimmer nearby when feeding it. I had a guy come by last week and cut down two honey locust (thorny type) trees (one was probably 60') and I have been feeding those in for an hour or two each night. It is gonna take a while, but I'll get through it.

#2492207 - 05/04/18 08:41 PM Re: Chipper / shredder options [Re: MoparKansas]
SteveS Offline
top fuel

Loc: Groveland, MA
Mine is an older Craftsman self-propelled that I bought used, and I took that wire off the first week. What a PITA it was!

Someday I'll have another C-body.

#2492564 - 05/05/18 08:12 PM Re: Chipper / shredder options [Re: MoparKansas]
SKR8PN Offline

Loc: The Grand State of Confusion-O...
Just my experience with chipper/shredders. I have had three over the years. A small one and two larger ones, the last one ran off the PTO of my Kubota tractor. They are dangerous and time consuming for the minuscule amount of chips you end up with. Save your money and either pile it up in the woods or have a yearly bonfire. You will work our keester off feeding the shredder with both fuel AND tree limbs. You yourself just mentioned how long you have worked to do a few limbs with the one you have......

Edited by SKR8PN (05/05/18 08:13 PM)

#2492617 - 05/05/18 10:20 PM Re: Chipper / shredder options [Re: MoparKansas]
finn Offline
mopar

Loc: UP
I have one tha I bought probably 12 or 14 years ago.

I’ve used it maybe five times.

It beats you up and takes forever to chew up small branches.

Much quicker to load the branches into the back of the truck, take them to the shop, and dump them in the woods to let them rot naturally.

The only reason I still have the chipper is that it has a good Briggs engine that will bolt on the splitter when that one eventually dies .

#2492631 - 05/05/18 11:07 PM Re: Chipper / shredder options [Re: MoparKansas]
rowin4 Offline
master

Loc: gulfport, ms, west mi
I bought one years ago just for leaves , did a great job of chewing them up. As I was dumping more into the hopper something came flying out hit me right between the eyes , lucky for me I had glasses on, unlucky for me they were my only prescription glasses. They proceeded to drop into the hopper , yes they shredded just like the leaves. It was never used again.

#2493287 - 05/07/18 03:30 PM Re: Chipper / shredder options [Re: SKR8PN]
MoparKansas Offline
super stock

I live in town where open burning is only allowed twice a year for a month at a time (April and Oct 15 - Nov 15, so the bonfire idea won't work. Some people have firepits, don't know if they are regulated or not.

I think I would also just as soon burn them if I could as it is fairly time consuming. They sure look like a good idea until you're the guy standing there feeding it!

#2493439 - 05/07/18 10:14 PM Re: Chipper / shredder options [Re: MoparKansas]
rowin4 Offline
master

Loc: gulfport, ms, west mi
That is rare to have open burn in a town nowadays. We used to burn in town 50 years ago but that stopped also. Now if you don't have a approved fire pit you get a ticket for illegal burn. Or if someone complains about the smoke the fire department comes out and puts the fire out even if it is in a approved pit and gives you a ticket

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,624 Registered Members
32 Forums
195,530 Topics
2,287,253 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Gremmy to ya!
by RoadRunnerLuva
19 minutes 11 seconds ago
Big block oil pump/distributor drives