Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2459692 - 03/01/18 09:24 PM Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars?
EV2Bird Offline
No more politics

Loc: Kansas Roads Between 0 and 140...
Of course other then resale and option costs when new and maybe even being a bit biased here but I see the majority of mopar folks give a huge thumbs down on these type cars regardless of the power train.

So what gives, ive never been out shifted or tossed out of a bench seat by not having buckets and a floor shifter.

To me the mopar buckets are not really any more comfortable then a relaxing bench and you can do so much more with the bench seat.

The last car I sold was a V code runner with a bench and auto on the column and it was bought by a non mopar guy who didnt even mention the bench/auto setup as it was.

So what gives? So many want the bare bones no options but take huge exception to this.

#2459699 - 03/01/18 09:36 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
E-Ticket Offline
top fuel

Loc: Louisville, KY
Not the most desirable options in a lot of peoples eyes but still cool in a V-code like you said or a hemi car.

I bought a column shifted, bench seat, drag car from some very sharp racers around here about 30 years ago that had disassembled the shift assembly of the column and had massaged the column shifter to the point where that car was incredibly firm on each and every shift. Would have never believed it but these guys were old school racers and very sharp so I'm not putting the column shift down at all....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK-Dqj4fHmM

#2459704 - 03/01/18 09:43 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: E-Ticket]
Neil Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Eagle, Idaho
I don't mind auto on the column and bench seats in B-Body cars for example.

Auto on the column with buckets seems odd. Doesn't necessarily mean I would change it if I had such a car. I just would not have ordered one that way when new.

#2459707 - 03/01/18 09:45 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: E-Ticket]
buildanother Offline
I Live Here

Loc: chicagoland,usa
I modified the column "steps" on a volare I have now for 727 w/reverse man body. Works good, and I DO have now a floor shifter column for later date.

#2459727 - 03/01/18 10:08 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
paironines Offline
super stock

I had a 69 Charger in high school with column shift and buckets/ buddy seat combo and I remember liking leaning on the buddy seat in the down position. Pretty comfortable. I actually did switch it over to floor shift and console because I had the parts with correct column plus floor shift was cooler back then. Would I switch it now? Idk.
I know a guy with a high impact colored e body with a bench and column shift and I personally like the combo and wouldnt change it.

#2459753 - 03/01/18 11:06 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
RMCHRGR Offline
pro stock

Loc: Spahn Ranch
Funny this was brought up. Been looking for a car and If I come across something I like but then see it's a column shift bench seat car it's kinda like wah wah waaah.

IMO bucket seats and a floor shift actually give you a better feel for the car and ostensibly put you in a more relaxed and natural driving position.

With a column shift you tend to lean forward a bit more which can change your hand position on the wheel; I tend to hold the wheel upside down with my left hand instead over the top so you're almost pulling the wheel instead of pushing. That's generally with your hand on the selector though, any other time your hand is probably on top.

Conversely, my truck has a bench seat with a four speed. With one hand on the wheel and one hand shifting I do slide around a little which can be annoying.

Hate to say it but a column shifted automatic has to be the most boring method of shifting regardless of the car. I mean if you had a hemi or some such thing why would you choose a column shift? I get the sleeper aspect but how often does that apply anymore? Just my 2 cents...
'17 Ram 1500

#2459754 - 03/01/18 11:06 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
340wedge Offline
master

Loc: Myrtle Beach, SC formerly the ...
My 71 Duster 340 has a split bench with arm rest and auto on the column. I am happy with it and love the oddity of the interior. Whoever ordered it I think did so to save weight. Bench seat, the column shift, no radio and rubber floor instead of carpeting, but they ordered the interior décor package! eek I will say it is really comfortable to ride in.

Attachments
20170918_134451.jpg

Edited by 340wedge (03/01/18 11:11 PM)

#2459755 - 03/01/18 11:12 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
AARCONV Offline

Loc: NEW JERSEY
Bench and column shifted cuda...with a shaker....Priceless...

#2459762 - 03/01/18 11:41 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
Not_A_Duster Offline
master

Loc: SK. Canada
I have a high back bench with the folding center armrest in the Demon. Just as comfy as buckets, plus a higher seating position, which I like.

I searched through many wrecking yards to find the seat, then recovered it myself.

Column shift automatic had to go when I converted the car to a 4 speed.

Edited by Not_A_Duster (03/01/18 11:49 PM)

#2459766 - 03/01/18 11:59 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Loc: Mt.Gilead, Ohio
Anything I ever saw performance related as a kid had buckets and a floor shifter. Every daily driver grandma mobile I encountered was a bench seat, column shift. Anyone driving hard on a tv show seemed to be doing it with a hand on a shifter, not dropping it in drive and letting the valve body do the work for you. That's probably where my particular bias came from. Maybe it was the scowl on my dad's face when he got in our Dodge Crestwood wagon after mom drove it and had to pull on the adjuster knob extra hard to get that whole long seat to move back into the position he needed it to be. Maybe it was being uncomfortable in the passenger side of the seat as I got older because there was no adjusting for anyone else's comfort up there. Just whoever was driving. Lol. Hard to tell, really, but bench/column shift always screamed "grandma's car" or "taxi cab" to me. Then there is the crowd that loves column shifts because they take the least amount of talent to go fast in, but that is a debate for another day.

Looking for my original 383 block. Last seen around the Atlanta area. 7449 are the last 4 of the VIN.

#2459770 - 03/02/18 12:05 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RMCHRGR]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

Loc: N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted By RMCHRGR
Funny this was brought up. Been looking for a car and If I come across something I like but then see it's a column shift bench seat car it's kinda like wah wah waaah.

IMO bucket seats and a floor shift actually give you a better feel for the car and ostensibly put you in a more relaxed and natural driving position.

With a column shift you tend to lean forward a bit more which can change your hand position on the wheel; I tend to hold the wheel upside down with my left hand instead over the top so you're almost pulling the wheel instead of pushing. That's generally with your hand on the selector though, any other time your hand is probably on top.

Conversely, my truck has a bench seat with a four speed. With one hand on the wheel and one hand shifting I do slide around a little which can be annoying.

Hate to say it but a column shifted automatic has to be the most boring method of shifting regardless of the car. I mean if you had a hemi or some such thing why would you choose a column shift? I get the sleeper aspect but how often does that apply anymore? Just my 2 cents...

Because in 1968 model year if you ordered your '68 Hemi Road Runner with the best automatic transmission ever to that point and quicker than most 4-speed racers could get a car off of the line with 7" wide bias ply wide oval tires or even 7' wide slicks down the quarter mile, that's all that you could get; A bench seat, column shifted 727 Torqueflite automatic. Then go back to the original idea behind the ('68) Road Runner of being a no frills, bare bones medium body with a big block with performance as the key sales feature. When you started to add carpet, a console, (even for a 4-speed) and bright trim, and interior bling then a column shift automatic was pretty much more of a performance way to control an automatic transmission. No useless console with an extra "glove box" chrome fake vent and floor lights. I asked the question on here a while back of which was lighter a bench seat or two bucket seats and the majority of replies came back that the bench seat was lighter. So we add to the already lighter column shifter without a console and the lighter bench seat and that adds up to lighter more performance. I ordered my '69 Road Runner in 1969 with a Torqueflite, bucket seats and a console only because it looked sportier and cooler. When ever I drag raced I sometimes found myself looking down at the console auto shift lever for no real reason but it took more than the time it took to look than at a column shift PRND21. My '68 Road Runner of late had a column shift 727 and I didn't mind it and didn't care what anyone thought. My current '69 GTX is a console mounted 4-speed and the only time I like it better than the automatic RR's I've owned is a few times going through the gears or when some "car guy" looks in and says "yeah man it's a 4-speed"........if they only knew that a column automatic will kick its butt almost every time. And don't forget the current "paddle" shifters are basically COLUMN shifted automatics.....tell the Demon and Hellcat owners that the next time they make fun of your column automatic Hemi or 440 SIX PACK/6BBL. tonguue

MikeR

My girlymatic on the column, I handed in my man card every time I drove it and was so embarrassed. And to add insult to injury it's GREEEEEEEEN blush

Attachments
DSC02321rs.jpg

Edited by A12 (03/02/18 12:24 AM)

#2459773 - 03/02/18 12:19 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
hemicar1971 Offline
master

Loc: Chicago Blackhawks
Use to drive a Car for a guy at the Drag Strip. 1969 A12 Super Bee column shift automatic with reverse manual. It originally was a bench seat car but had two Race Buckets. Car ran tens and was so calm from start to finish at the drag strip. It was nothing like running my Challenger with the four speed that was a violent pass every time. I would not hesitate to buy a column shift car if I like everything else and yes it could be a Hemi on the column auto with a shaker.

#2459792 - 03/02/18 03:00 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
Pale_Roader Offline
master

Loc: the frozen wastes...

Nothing WRONG with them... they're just not... sporty... is all. Bench/column screams grampa's car. That will never change. It took me 10 cars before i ever got into my first Mopar... 8 GM A-bodies and 2 Cadillacs. Every single one, save one 70 Skylark, had bench/column. The first Mopar i bought was a 73 Rallye Challenger, buckets, pistol grip... and that thing, although slower than my Stage 1, just screamed race car. Maybe if you're building a more plebian-bodied sleeper, like a square-bodied A or B-body... it'd fit, but if its a true muscle car, or any E-body... then i think it should be floor shifted and bucket seats. Why the hell they ever put a column shift in an E-body i dont know. Chevy never column-shifted a Corvette...

#2459806 - 03/02/18 05:49 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
dfsmopars Offline
top fuel

Loc: Kentucky
I am just now getting rid of the column shift on my ‘72 Charger. Drove it a long to me but for me it was just too sedate. Converted from bench to bucket years ago. However, a bench four speed would be great put IMO also just not a 318/column shift/bench.

#2459808 - 03/02/18 06:05 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master

Loc: jersey
All this talk of column or floor shifters.
And here I am pushing buttons.
With a RMVB.

#2459815 - 03/02/18 07:02 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
RMCHRGR Offline
pro stock

Originally Posted By A12
I asked the question on here a while back of which was lighter a bench seat or two bucket seats and the majority of replies came back that the bench seat was lighter. So we add to the already lighter column shifter without a console and the lighter bench seat and that adds up to lighter more performance.

Bench seat lighter than buckets? In what universe? I yanked the bench out of my Duster and it was literally 100 lbs. (I weighed it). Though they are not stock/OE seats, the high back buckets that replaced it are 22 lbs each.

Column shifter can't really be that much lighter when you start to include the associated parts like the shift tube, longer linkage, the column collar and shifter itself. Lightest auto linkage would have to be the floor shifter, it's just a couple short rods, no? And think about it - are there any aftermarket column shifters? Wonder why?

In regards to choosing a bench/column combo - I just asked why a performance buyer in particular would make that choice over a floor shifted auto or 4 speed, extra cost or not. I wasn't of car buying age at the time (I was born in 1970) but didn't most of the 'youth market' want a 4 speed with their sporty muscle car?

'17 Ram 1500

#2459818 - 03/02/18 07:08 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer

Loc: Moredoor, PA
I have two column shift cars, one with buckets & buddy seat & one with bench.

For E-body automatic cars, regardless of seat, I would rather have the shifter on the column.

No console that way, (they look goofy to me) & if it is not there, no rattles.

Buy hey, I love green too. All my cars have either green interior, top, paint or combinations thereof.

#2459823 - 03/02/18 07:27 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
EV2Bird Offline
No more politics

I wonder if ma mopar had thoughts on this when building cars way back then.

Growing up my pops had only olf ford trucks inline 6-s with 3 on the tree so although I just missed being able to buy our old classics new in the late 70-s early 80-s I had no issues with buying six pack cars and even a hemi car with a column shift.

Really a column shifter in good working order had zero advantage over the floor shift, its not like the linkage ratio or goofy stuff like that was a factor although some of mopars inland shifters and then some of the hockey stick length long handle p grip shifters made one wonder at times.

And I will admit one factor was the cruise with or cruise for chicks factor, the bench seat 4 speed made for some interesting times but the console deal just didnt get it.

One big factor I can understand is/was header clearance on the column shift linkage.

#2459836 - 03/02/18 08:04 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
QuickDodge Offline
super stock

Loc: Cruising!
A bench seat is bad when two people of considerably different heights ride on it. I'm tall and HATE to ride in a car with a bench seat and a short driver!! In order for them to reach the pedals, my knees have to be jammed into the dash.

A split bench seat is good, especially for a daily driver. On a long drive, I like to move around a little bit and change seating positions slightly. A big, comfortable seat with no console can be perfect for longer drives.

In a performance car that is set up for cornering, a bucket seat that holds the driver in place behind the steering wheel is very important. Most of the 1960's and early 1970's factory seats were not primarily designed to hold the driver in place. These seats may have been better than the bench seats, but only a little better. Of course, with stock tires and suspensions, many of the muscle cars did not need real performance seats.

#2459856 - 03/02/18 09:08 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
68Cbarge Offline
master

Loc: Canuckville
I know of a 72 Charger Ralleye one of 289 built 340 4 speed that was built in Windsor with a bench seat...

Me? I own a 73 Satellite wagon bench seat column shift 3 ON DA TREE
The wagon is so PLAIN JANE that today it is very cool!
When people hear me upshift or down shift and hear the snap,crack and cackle of the Super Turbo mufflers they are surprised to see no shifter on the floor.
Of course,I have to put the column shifter in REVERSE to get the keys out.That makes it look like an automatic with the stick in the up position.When people see the third pedal they are surprised.

#2459865 - 03/02/18 09:24 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
DaytonaTurbo Offline

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
The column shifter isn't the problem, the automatic transmission is. 3 on the tree cars and trucks are cool! The console shift auto is a little more sporty than the column shift auto like grandmas car had but still a far cry from a stick. Now that all modern automatic cars have gone to console shift, because they too want to look sporty, I have a renewed appreciation for the old column shift mopars. Some of them look quite nice with nicely upholstered bench seats. I don't buy automatics and neither does my wife so I guess for me the point is moot.

#2459901 - 03/02/18 10:48 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: DaytonaTurbo]
68Cbarge Offline
master

Originally Posted By DaytonaTurbo
Now that all modern automatic cars have gone to console shift...I have a renewed appreciation for the old column shift mopars.... Some of them look quite nice with nicely upholstered bench seats.

iagree

What was once the undesirable norm back in the day is now a novelty.

Heck even some newer trucks/SUV's that have full consoles with shifters in them.

There is a generation or two that do not know what three on the tree is!!

#2459964 - 03/02/18 01:17 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RMCHRGR]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

I mean if you had a hemi or some such thing why would you choose a column shift? I get the sleeper aspect but how often does that apply anymore? Just my 2 cents...

So you would pass on a nice or good deal on a '68 Hemi Road Runner, 727 Hemi automatic that was only available with a column shift??......or even a '68 383 Road Runner for that matter?

#2459973 - 03/02/18 01:29 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Mass
Originally Posted By A12

I mean if you had a hemi or some such thing why would you choose a column shift? I get the sleeper aspect but how often does that apply anymore? Just my 2 cents...

So you would pass on a nice or good deal on a '68 Hemi Road Runner, 727 Hemi automatic that was only available with a column shift??......or even a '68 383 Road Runner for that matter?

Column shifted cars to me (auto or manual) were and still are undesirable, and while I never passed on any in the past because they were in default because of this defect, my only concern was how much work, and what parts would be needed to correct the factory defect and get the shifter on the floor where it belongs...my 70 Charger and 71 Cuda use to suffer from the bench seat/column shifter syndrome, but it was eradicated shorty after purchase...

#2459975 - 03/02/18 01:37 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
kcarfanatic Offline

Loc: new haven ct

Column shifted cars to me (auto or manual) were and still are undesirable,

X2

An appraiser told me many years ago column shifted cars are "highly undesirable".

#2459986 - 03/02/18 01:52 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: kcarfanatic]
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer

Loc: -
Originally Posted By kcarfanatic
An appraiser told me many years ago column shifted cars are "highly undesirable".

In the world of Mopar, you cannot make a blanket statement like that...

There are exceptions...

Here's one...

Attachments
sc0509-79426_2.jpg

#2459990 - 03/02/18 01:59 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
wylde8 Offline
top fuel

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I also think a column shift and a bench seat is cool. I wasn't born yet when these cars were new, so the opinions of that time period are irrelevant to me. I think its cool because you never see it anymore. If its the same setup that something like a Toyota Camry has, it makes me think that the console and buckets are the uncool setup, not the other way around. Again, I understand why people who lived through the era think differently, but that's not my perspective on it.

At Moparts, the concensus is there is no consensus.

#2459997 - 03/02/18 02:15 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RSNOMO]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By RS23U1G

In the world of Mopar, you cannot make a blanket statement like that...

There are exceptions...

Here's one...

Try as you might, There's not ONE exception that you could sell me on, that would want me desiring a column shift equipped vehicle

#2460002 - 03/02/18 02:24 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: DAYCLONA]
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer

Wouldn't even try...

'65 A-990 Torqueflite...

A thing of beauty...

The ONLY view I want to see...

Attachments
s-l225.jpg

1965-dodge-coronet-hemi-charger-steering-column.jpg

#2460006 - 03/02/18 02:36 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
68Cbarge Offline
master

Push button Auto has got everybody beat for the cool factor
Works well with either bench or buckets.... stirthepot

#2460008 - 03/02/18 02:38 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
RMCHRGR Offline
pro stock

Originally Posted By A12

I might. I try to keep an open mind when I look but if the price is on the higher end of what I have in mind for a particular car then I generally move onto something else because A) I know I won't be happy with it and B) I may not have enough money/time to buy the car then swap in a 4 speed/floor shift immediately after. Then I'm stuck with a car I don't like. What's the point in that? Bench seat would bother me less than a column shift but if I have the choice, I prefer bucket seats. I've had enough column shift/bench seat cars to know I don't like or want them.

As far as bench seat 'usefulness' - I'm 47, married with two kids. In general, it's not the greatest to have my wife with me when I'm in my car. I have little interest in snuggling up with her when she's yelling at me to slow down or stop driving aggressively.
'17 Ram 1500

#2460010 - 03/02/18 02:42 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RMCHRGR]
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer

In general, it's not the greatest to have my wife with me when I'm in my car. I have little interest in snuggling up with her when she's yelling at me to slow down or stop driving aggressively.

Have you tried wearing something in purple???

#2460017 - 03/02/18 03:06 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
Orange_Crush Offline
Belieber!

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I'm ambivalent about them.

When it comes down to it, I'd rather have a 4-speed floor shifted car, but it doesn't mean I'd turn my nose up at a column shifted auto.

Now, a column shifted 3-speed is awesome.

#2460029 - 03/02/18 03:34 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RSNOMO]
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master

Wouldn't even try...

'65 A-990 Torqueflite...

A thing of beauty...

The ONLY view I want to see...

Can we see pictures of yours?

#2460037 - 03/02/18 03:54 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: 68Cbarge]
ChryCoGuy Offline
master

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By 68Cbarge
Now that all modern automatic cars have gone to console shift...I have a renewed appreciation for the old column shift mopars.... Some of them look quite nice with nicely upholstered bench seats.

iagree

What was once the undesirable norm back in the day is now a novelty.

Heck even some newer trucks/SUV's that have full consoles with shifters in them.

There is a generation or two that do not know what three on the tree is!!

Yeah, I'm with that. I used to hate them, now I've learned to appreciate them more just because they are no longer the norm.

Either that or I'm getting old... grin

#2460039 - 03/02/18 03:57 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Pale_Roader]
ChryCoGuy Offline
master

Originally Posted By Pale_Roader
Chevy never column-shifted a Corvette...

No, but they did with Camaro, the competition of E-bodies...

'67 with bench and column:

'71 with buckets and column:

#2460049 - 03/02/18 04:22 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: OhioMopar]
bboogieart Offline
master

Loc: Lost and Spaced
Here is your answer.
Originally Posted By OhioMopar
Anything I ever saw performance related
as a kid
had buckets and a floor shifter.

It was simply considered cooler back then to have had the buckets and floor shifter.
The stigma stuck.

My first "Hot Rod" was a 69 bee with the bench and column automatic. Wish I still had it.
I had plenty of both set-ups over the years.
I like the bench and column shift better for my personal comfort.
Though I wouldn't hesitate to get another bucket seat floor shift car either.

#2460056 - 03/02/18 04:34 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Spaceman Spiff]
bboogieart Offline
master

Originally Posted By Spaceman Spiff
All this talk of column or floor shifters.
And here I am pushing buttons.
With a RMVB.

Ahhh!
The Old type writers.
Just push R for race! grin

#2460061 - 03/02/18 04:41 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

whistling

Attachments
4speed auto stick buckets best of everything .jpg

#2460073 - 03/02/18 04:53 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
jeff968 Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Along with muscle car performance you wanted muscle car looks and style to go with your new muscle car. Back in the day you would find column shift on Dad's utility family wagon. Not exactly the performance image that you would want with your hot new ride.

I've owned many muscle cars. I prefer a stick but if they were automatics they had to have buckets and a console. And the slapstick automatic shifter was cool too.

#2460096 - 03/02/18 05:19 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: jeff968]
68Cbarge Offline
master

Originally Posted By jeff968
....And the slapstick automatic shifter was cool too.

Worked in the same principle as the Pontiac Rally Sport Shifter...You can upshift agressively without the fear of going into neutral.
Put her down to "1" (or L in Poncho's) and bang away.

I had a few Ponch's before becoming a hard core Mopar fan..

#2460105 - 03/02/18 05:25 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: 68Cbarge]
bboogieart Offline
master

I had a few Ponch's before becoming a hard core Mopar fan..

We wont hold it against ya. up

I had a few fun ferds back in the 70's. whistling

#2460210 - 03/02/18 07:37 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RSNOMO]
RMCHRGR Offline
pro stock

Have you tried wearing something in purple???

Always with the negative waves... she likes green.
'17 Ram 1500

#2460264 - 03/02/18 09:40 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RMCHRGR]
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer

Always with the negative waves...

Only in your world...

Trust me, The Color Purple has its fan-base...

Be it Slap-Stik, or column auto...

Attachments
629e00e6950cf48fc4ebb2512547ab5c.jpg

#2460284 - 03/02/18 10:19 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
parksr5 Offline
mopar

Loc: Oh
My Dad was born in 55. When he medically retired, he bought himself a 69 Road Runner column shift, bench seat project car. While restoring it, he picked up an original set of buckets, the console and shifter out of a 69 GTX and converted his 69 Road Runner.

My Dad passed away in 2005 and the car went to my middle brother. 3 years later, my brother gives me the car and within another 3 years, the bench and column shift are back in it.

I did like the buckets, console and floor shifter but, couldn't do it because, it was not original to the car.

Took me awhile to find a bench seat at the time. All the guys I spoke with from the era said the same thing; we ripped them out, threw them away and puts buckets in them back in the day.

#2460303 - 03/02/18 10:56 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: parksr5]
SALEM1912 Offline
mopar

Loc: Southeast Pa.
Have a reason for column shift bench car,mom said so! Old fellow I brought my GTO from said he was 17 and needed mom to co-sign for the car. She said ok but no stick and no buckets. He said she never drove the car anyway.

Attachments
gto june 016.JPG

#2460309 - 03/02/18 11:04 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
Xgoldfish Offline

Loc: Toledo
If you are going to have a column shift, need to have something else make up for it. This would work.

Attachments
18522656-770-0@2X.jpg

#2460377 - 03/03/18 06:59 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
TimS Offline
top fuel

Loc: Walton, Indiana
Not a thing wrong with Column Auto Bench car. I've got examples of all styles and personally I could do without the console cars. Waste of space. That's what a glove box is for. If you have an automatic it my as well be on the column. IMO.
1971 Cuda 340 4spd 3.91SG Curious Yellow
1972 Barracuda 318 AT Tor Red/White Vinyl Top
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi AT Patriot Blue
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T CLassic 5.7 Hemi 6spd Plum Crazy

All #'s matching,driving originals.

#2460408 - 03/03/18 08:37 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: 68Cbarge]
moparx Online   content
Dreaming of implants

Loc: north of coder
Push button Auto has got everybody beat for the cool factor
Works well with either bench or buckets.... stirthepot

the ONLY way to shift ! especially if it's on the floor !
beer

#2460418 - 03/03/18 09:19 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
benny70hemibird Offline
super stock

Loc: KY
1969 Hemi Road runner, hardtop, black in and out, bench seat, column shift, etc. I like those really well. I've had mine sitting in my shop since 1977 smile

#2460420 - 03/03/18 09:23 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Pale_Roader]
kowalski440 Offline

Loc: SE Indiana
Originally Posted By Pale_Roader

Nothing WRONG with them... they're just not... sporty... is all. Bench/column screams grampa's car. That will never change. It took me 10 cars before i ever got into my first Mopar... 8 GM A-bodies and 2 Cadillacs. Every single one, save one 70 Skylark, had bench/column. The first Mopar i bought was a 73 Rallye Challenger, buckets, pistol grip... and that thing, although slower than my Stage 1, just screamed race car. Maybe if you're building a more plebian-bodied sleeper, like a square-bodied A or B-body... it'd fit, but if its a true muscle car, or any E-body... then i think it should be floor shifted and bucket seats. Why the hell they ever put a column shift in an E-body i dont know. Chevy never column-shifted a Corvette...

And in a weird twist, my '91 Dodge Dakota SPORT is a regular cab, bucket with console/buddy seat , auto on column! Been driving it since '94, 267k miles, very comfy. My toy is a '69 Cnet440. It's basically a Dodge Roadrunner. 2dr post, horizontal dash, bench seat, auto on column, previously swapped in 440/727/ 3.55 8.75. Very fun and comfy for a cruiser type deal, though curves don't seem to be a problem.

#2460440 - 03/03/18 09:53 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
gtx6970 Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Land of Booze and Horses
My preference when the time comes is to buy a column shift car.
The cars I'm interested in came standard with bucket seats ( 1967 GTX or 1966 Satellite ) but a bench seat car would not stop me

#2460442 - 03/03/18 09:55 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RSNOMO]
kowalski440 Offline

Is that Vicky Vette? MMMM!

#2460444 - 03/03/18 09:56 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: kowalski440]
biggE Offline
super stock

Loc: California
I don't mind column shift in certain cars but do prefer the sportier look of buckets with the console. The one that I just don't get is the AAR's and T/A's with the column shift. I believe that the 1969 Z28 and Boss 302 were four speed only which makes more sense with the road racer theme.

#2460453 - 03/03/18 10:07 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Xgoldfish]
kcarfanatic Offline

Loc: new haven ct
Originally Posted By Xgoldfish
If you are going to have a column shift, need to have something else make up for it. This would work.

And the GREEN down totally wipes out everything else.

#2460504 - 03/03/18 12:06 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: kcarfanatic]
MuscleMopars Offline
master

Loc: North Central USA (MN-WI area)

X2

How about a bench seat column auto Bronze Fire Metallic A12 '69 1/2 Road Runner post car. Doesn't even have chrome on the post!

Attachments
IMG_0245.JPG

Edited by MuscleMopars (03/03/18 12:13 PM)
715-426-HEMI
612-669-CARS

Go to my Moparts "Profile" to see my web site

#2460512 - 03/03/18 12:27 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: kowalski440]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By kowalski440

At a quick glance it looks like her, but VickyVette has bigger "VV"

#2460513 - 03/03/18 12:30 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
65pacecar Offline
master

Loc: KY
I always liked the 68-69 Road runner bench with Column autos fun cars to drive.

#2460516 - 03/03/18 12:32 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: MuscleMopars]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By MuscleMopars

X2

How about a bench seat column auto Bronze Fire Metallic A12 '69 1/2 Road Runner post car. Doesn't even have chrome on the post!

Still dosen't pass muster, nice candidate for a 4/5 spd manual conversion though

#2460524 - 03/03/18 12:53 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: DAYCLONA]
MuscleMopars Offline
master

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA

X2

Still dosen't pass muster, nice candidate for a 4/5 spd manual conversion though

It's a one owner, 21K miles, one of 3 built this color and probably the lowest priced A12 from the factory built.
715-426-HEMI
612-669-CARS

#2460525 - 03/03/18 12:56 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: DAYCLONA]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

X2

Yeah that would slow it down in the 1/4-mile, just what you want rolleyes rolleyes

#2460529 - 03/03/18 01:02 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer

There's one just like this sitting downtown in Cobo this weekend...

Column-shift buddy-seat...

What a slap in the face to a top-end trim level...

Attachments
maxresdefault.jpg

#2460532 - 03/03/18 01:09 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RSNOMO]
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer

Mucho better...

Attachments
$_5762MFC0JZ.jpg

#2460539 - 03/03/18 01:26 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: MuscleMopars]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

X2

It's a one owner, 21K miles, one of 3 built this color and probably the lowest priced A12 from the factory built.

My A12 Road Runner (<-over there) is Y4 Spanish Gold and a column auto with a black interior bench seat. But it is optioned with power brakes, power steering, belt molding, all tinted glass, AM/FM radio, rear speaker, body line pin striping, and a clock confused I guess because most racers put a Sun TACH right behind the column PRND21 so you didn't have to look in two places to shift and read the TACH.....now a column shift 727 makes more sense and probably why back in the day few thought it wasn't "manly" tonguue I keep forgetting there are few of the back in the day members left on here.

MikeR

Edited by A12 (03/03/18 01:28 PM)

#2460561 - 03/03/18 02:48 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
RoadRunnerLuva Offline
master

Loc: Michigan
I don't mind column shift/bench seat cars at all, even though both my cars
have factory buckets and floor shifters (the Charger has the Slap-Stik,
and Duster has a B&M Pro Ratchet)...I like the sleeper look of column shift cars. That was the whole point after all of the OG Road Runner...
Use a sparce taxi-cab like interior, and put expenses into the part that
REALLY mattered like the drivetrain/suspension..etc..MEEP MEEP!!!

1972 Plymouth Duster...418ci Stroker Small Block
1973 Dodge Charger SE Brougham...400ci Big Block (SOLD)
1971 Plymouth Duster...360 4bbl (SOLD)
1970 Dodge Challenger...340 4bbl (SOLD)
1969 Dodge Dart...440 Big Block (SOLD)
1969 Chrysler 300 Convertible...440 Big Block (SOLD)
1968 Dodge Dart Custom...318 4bbl (SOLD)
1998 Dodge Dakota R/T 5.9 Magnum
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0

#2460687 - 03/03/18 09:54 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
Adam71Charger Offline
pro stock

Loc: Tacoma, Washington USA
I began minding them when I took a hard corner and ended up in the passenger seat

#2460693 - 03/03/18 10:20 PM Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? Nothing [Re: EV2Bird]
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer

Seat belts.

Regardless of seat type. twocents

#2460697 - 03/03/18 10:36 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? Nothing [Re: Alaskan_TA]
chargervert Offline
master

Loc: RI Deep in the rust belt
I have converted about 40 column shift cars to floor shift console. I have two of them I am doing right now.
70 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi 70 Charger R/T convertible 70 Charger R/T V Code Sixpack 69 Charger R/T SE Sunroofcar 68 Charger 383 68 Charger 318 71 Charger R/T 70 Challenger convertible 71 Challenger convertible 71 Cuda 340 09 Challenger R/T Classic

#2460714 - 03/03/18 11:09 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By A12

X2

Yeah that would slow it down in the 1/4-mile, just what you want rolleyes rolleyes

I don't remember Ronnie Sox column shifting down the 1/4?

#2460750 - 03/04/18 02:52 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: DAYCLONA]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

Quote:
I'll give you that one....but then again are you sure about that wink On the other hand I don't think that any of the Sox and Martin cars ever hand a console automatic or 4-speed. Very few to this day could shift a manual like Ronnie Sox, Herb McCandless, Dick Landy or any of those pros/stars of the day. Tom Hoover said that once the Torqueflite came into play with the 7" slicks they were running few could beat the Mopars even on a bad day. Bucket seats were extra cost in the Road Runner and a few other cars of that era or baked into the cost of higher base price models. A friend that tuned my '69 Road Runner back then had a '68 RR coupe, rubber floor mats, bench seat, column automatic, no radio, no power steering, 3.23 open rear, no décor, nothing but a Hemi. Bought it to street and drag race. I got to use it for a day and that's when I found out to my surprise it didn't have Suregrip shock shock He later put in a deep gear Dana as he planned from the day he ordered it. But he kept the column 727.....he was no Ronnie Sox or Herb McCandless either grin

Edited by A12 (03/04/18 01:36 PM)

#2460767 - 03/04/18 07:11 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: DAYCLONA]
kowalski440 Offline

Originally Posted By kowalski440

At a quick glance it looks like her, but VickyVette has bigger "VV"

You're right! But she could be her stunt double on her day off!

#2460779 - 03/04/18 07:53 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: kowalski440]
chargervert Offline
master

That Challenger with the 50 shades of green interior makes me vomit into the back of my mouth,and while I was trying to hold it in,the plad seat inserts and column shift made me go into full blown projectile vomit mode! A full interior gutting is in order for that one!
70 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi 70 Charger R/T convertible 70 Charger R/T V Code Sixpack 69 Charger R/T SE Sunroofcar 68 Charger 383 68 Charger 318 71 Charger R/T 70 Challenger convertible 71 Challenger convertible 71 Cuda 340 09 Challenger R/T Classic

#2460787 - 03/04/18 08:39 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: chargervert]
I_bleed_MOPAR Offline
master

Loc: Dacula, GA
Personal preference is a non-console 4 spd. and buckets but I would drive a column-shift auto with buckets or bench. up First '70 Challenger R/T was a column-auto w/ buckets. 2nd was a non-console 4 spd. Never had a console auto till after I got married. Female companions (including my wife) didn't mind sitting on a cushion between the buckets but probably would not have sat on a console. wink

Tim

#2460798 - 03/04/18 08:54 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
Blusmbl Offline

Loc: Plymouth, MI
I dig that green plaid/houndstooth Challenger interior. Can definitely live with a column auto for that one.

Do prefer 4 speeds, but for autos I don't have a major preference on the shifter location. Back in the early 90's Nick Scavo had a black '65 Impala that ran mid 8's with a column shifter and bench seat. Always thought it was cool.

#2460823 - 03/04/18 09:26 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
finn Offline
mopar

Loc: UP
If it’s an automatic, I go for the column shift, unless it’s a car which has an unresolveable header clearance issue. Bench or buckets is a tossup, but I hate center consoles with a passion.

My Roadrunner came with a bench and column shifter. My old Aerostar had buckets and a floor shifted automatic.

Which is sportier?

#2460828 - 03/04/18 09:31 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
RalphsRapidTrnst Offline
top fuel

Loc: Bristol, CT
IMO A Column Auto in a RR or Bee is right at home, LOVE IT! It goes with the whole RR, Bee theme. In a GTX R/T or Charger I just can't get use to the idea of a column auto.

Stock Appearing MuscleCar Racing
www.SuperCarRaces.com

#2460845 - 03/04/18 10:02 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
biggE Offline
super stock

Loc: California
Here's a 3.55 axle package road runner with power steering and power disc brakes. Bench seat and column shift. It's nice to drive.

Attachments
20161219_174951.jpg

#2460893 - 03/04/18 11:16 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
Silver70 Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Rust Belt, SW PA
My 68 rr is bench with column shift. My 72 340 barracuda was buckets and column shift. Seems odd someone would get a triple black 340 and go with auto on the column vs a floor shift/console.

#2460908 - 03/04/18 11:50 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer

I love to see original cars regardless of engine /
transmission combination from /6 up.

I love the greens too.

There will always be 'haters', color haters, column shift haters, etc.

I try to avoid the hater mentality types in real life as much as possible.

#2460927 - 03/04/18 12:15 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Alaskan_TA]
6PKRTSE Offline
master

Loc: Motor City
My 383 70'Road Runner is a bench seat column auto car. I plan on leaving it this was to have something different since I never see many these days. My other cars are all console bucket seat cars.
1970 Plymouth Road Runner.
1996 2500 RAM 488 V-10 4X4.
2012 Challenger R/T Classic.

#2460937 - 03/04/18 12:44 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
topside Offline
I Live Here

Loc: So Near, Yet So Far
This is amusing to read through. I've owned several column auto Mopars, even a couple with bucket seats. Not as visually sporty as floor shifts, but I liked 'em. And horror of horrors, some were double or triple green!

A buddy of mine has a 12-sec '57 Chevy 3-speed column stick toy that he drag races, and after doing some linkage work he's deadly with it. Freaks people out when they look inside, and it's a never-ending source of amusement.
No worries about his man card, he's an old A/FX racer who ran a Hemi AWB car running nitro.

#2460945 - 03/04/18 12:55 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
Dave Hall Offline
top fuel

Loc: Cotati, CA
You're missing a pedal? Please tell me it's not in "P" as shown?

#2460953 - 03/04/18 01:13 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: chargervert]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By chargervert
That Challenger with the 50 shades of green interior makes me vomit into the back of my mouth,and while I was trying to hold it in,the plad seat inserts and column shift made me go into full blown projectile vomit mode! A full interior gutting is in order for that one!

I thought the same thing, just didn't say it..lol!...any color but GREEN!

#2460956 - 03/04/18 01:19 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By A12
Quote:
I'll give you that one....but then again are you sure about that wink On the other hand I don't think that any of the Sox and Martin cars ever hand a console automatic or 4-speed. Very few to this day could shift a manual like Ronnie Sox, Herb McCandless, Dick Landry or any of those pros/stars of the day. Tom Hoover said that once the Torqueflite came into play with the 7" slicks they were running few could beat the Mopars even on a bad day. Bucket seats were extra cost in the Road Runner and a few other cars of that era or baked into the cost of higher base price models. A friend that tuned my '69 Road Runner back then had a '68 RR coupe, rubber floor mats, bench seat, column automatic, no radio, no power steering, 3.23 open rear, no décor, nothing but a Hemi. Bought it to street and drag race. I got to use it for a day and that's when I found out to my surprise it didn't have Suregrip shock shock He later put in a deep gear Dana as he planned from the day he ordered it. But he kept the column 727.....he was no Ronnie Sox or Herb McCandless either grin

Personally I'm very biased when it comes to automobiles, esp Mopars, and esp interior choice, while I can't stomach a column shift car manual or auto, even a floor mounted shifter and or console equipped car can IMHO only be a manual, NO automatics, and even then I'm partial to pistol grip shifters, have no love at all for ball or T handle shifters either

Attachments
automatics.JPG

#2460960 - 03/04/18 01:26 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Dave Hall]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By Dave Hall
You're missing a pedal? Please tell me it's not in "P" as shown?

Dave bow I was wondering when someone would finally figure it out. whistling Good way to retain a partial man card and still have the best of both. Would be even better to put a fake third pedal in there but would miss out on the shock confused grin wink

Oh and not in "P" just there for effect.

MikeR

Edited by A12 (03/04/18 01:28 PM)

#2460967 - 03/04/18 01:34 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: DAYCLONA]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

Is the Demon available in a stick or is it just available with the column shift (paddle) AUTOMATIC because it is QUICKER!! tonguue How many '68 Road Runner automatics have you converted to bucket seat floor shifts????

#2460972 - 03/04/18 02:07 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

One of Dick Landy's race cars a '70 Charger

shock shock

#2461111 - 03/04/18 05:35 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: DAYCLONA]
RoadRunnerLuva Offline
master

This coming from a guy who has a two-tone GREEN Daytona as his own avatar...LOL!!!! laugh2 laugh2

#2461138 - 03/04/18 06:11 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RoadRunnerLuva]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By RoadRunnerLuva

This coming from a guy who has a two-tone GREEN Daytona as his own avatar...LOL!!!! laugh2 laugh2

Unfortunately I had no choice in the matter, green was what it was, so green it was going to be...at least it ain't Fugly8 (F8)

Attachments
1838029-DSC03460.jpg

#2461140 - 03/04/18 06:14 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
BleedDodge Offline
super stock

Loc: manitoba canada
Watermelon as a wheel chock ?

#2461142 - 03/04/18 06:16 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: DAYCLONA]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

and it's properly equipped....

Attachments
notanautomatic.JPG

#2461159 - 03/04/18 06:52 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: BleedDodge]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By BleedDodge
Watermelon as a wheel chock ?

What else would one use on a 4 wheeled watermellon?...

#2461292 - 03/04/18 10:52 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: 6PKRTSE]
MuscleMopars Offline
master

Originally Posted By 6PKRTSE
My 383 70'Road Runner is a bench seat column auto car. I plan on leaving it this was to have something different since I never see many these days. My other cars are all console bucket seat cars.

My '70 Road Runner survivor is AT column bench seat too!

Attachments
70 RR survivor in shop.jpg

715-426-HEMI
612-669-CARS

#2461307 - 03/04/18 11:08 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: MuscleMopars]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

My '70 Road Runner survivor is AT column bench seat too!

Now that's pretty cool up

#2461317 - 03/04/18 11:23 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
chargervert Offline
master

Originally Posted By A12

shock shock

Where is the shifter handle? Not there is it,because Landy converted it to a floor shifter on day two of its existance.

#2461335 - 03/05/18 01:13 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: chargervert]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

Absolutely, but for sure it wasn't sticking out of a fake wood grain and plastic console laugh2 Not everyone cut a hole in the floor and put a competition shifter in their car to go drag racing. Here's a column auto with a bench seat that spent 95% of its life drag racing by the original owner. When I took this photo it had less than 7,000 miles on the working odometer. The owner had no shame with his column Hemi 727 and bench seat....a no frills (re; options) bench seat, stripe delete Hemi Bee. Man I hope this cabin fever weather breaks soon laugh2 laugh2

Attachments
DSC00034blrcrp.jpg

#2461389 - 03/05/18 08:18 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Alaskan_TA]
Tempest Offline
mopar

Loc: Nashville, Tennessee
Originally Posted By Alaskan_TA

I love the greens too.

Ditto.

#2461394 - 03/05/18 08:30 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Tempest]
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck

Loc: Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
No reason for an automatic in anything! tonguue Besides, what is better than a bench seat 4-speed with the old lady in the middle, second and fourth goes to heaven... drive

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!

#2461431 - 03/05/18 09:53 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
RMCHRGR Offline
pro stock

Originally Posted By A12
Here's a column auto with a bench seat that spent 95% of its life drag racing by the original owner.

That's all fine and good but that car deserves a floor shift whether it be an auto or 4 speed.

Call me a hater but I don't get some of you guys with the column shift love, it's the epitome of boring. Whether it's in an A990, Hemi Bee or 6 pack RR, I don't think I will ever be convinced a column shift car is cool.
'17 Ram 1500

#2461432 - 03/05/18 09:53 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Rhinodart]
moparx Online   content
Dreaming of implants

Loc: north of coder
Originally Posted By Rhinodart
No reason for an automatic in anything! tonguue

i don't have any coordination, so i like [have to be] pushing buttons !.... biggrin
beer

#2461484 - 03/05/18 11:36 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Tempest]
MuscleMopars Offline
master

Originally Posted By Tempest

I love the greens too.

Ditto.

Ditto Ditto
715-426-HEMI
612-669-CARS

#2461512 - 03/05/18 12:27 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RMCHRGR]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By A12
Here's a column auto with a bench seat that spent 95% of its life drag racing by the original owner.

That's all fine and good but that car deserves a floor shift whether it be an auto or 4 speed.

Call me a hater but I don't get some of you guys with the column shift love, it's the epitome of boring. Whether it's in an A990, Hemi Bee or 6 pack RR, I don't think I will ever be convinced a column shift car is cool.

agreed! ...back in the day having a vehicle with a column shift it was known as being equipped with a "dork stalk", it was about as cool as having mag wheels and side pipes on a 4dr granny car

#2461517 - 03/05/18 12:35 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: DAYCLONA]
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck

And talked about her for decades as a GirlyMatic... stirthepot

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!

#2461558 - 03/05/18 02:05 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Rhinodart]
I_bleed_MOPAR Offline
master

Loc: Dacula, GA
No reason for an automatic in anything! tonguue Besides, what is better than a bench seat 4-speed with the old lady in the middle, second and fourth goes to heaven... drive

thumbs boogie

Forgot but my '69 RR M-code was a bench/column auto. Unknown if it was an A12 as back then I didn't know what an M-code was. blush I do know it was EV2 with an R4 hood and hinges. work Did have a 440 but have no idea if it was the original engine (headers, cam, Eddy intake, 850 Holley, etc.)

Tim

#2461561 - 03/05/18 02:12 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: DAYCLONA]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By A12

agreed! ...back in the day having a vehicle with a column shift it was known as being equipped with a "dork stalk", it was about as cool as having mag wheels and side pipes on a 4dr granny car

So how many of you bought, ordered or owned a muscle car back in the '60's and very early '70's ('70-'72) and a Mopar for that matter??????? Those that did to me would have opinions that hold more value knowing the times and what was going on. That includes GREEN cars too laugh2 But everyone is entitled to their opinion............just think 40 or 50 years from now 2018 Demon owners will get railed for having an automatic column (paddle) shift and not a 6-speed manual laugh2

Column shift, at least it's not this:

Edited by A12 (03/05/18 02:15 PM)

#2461567 - 03/05/18 02:22 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Rhinodart]
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer

Ah, c'mon Jim...

Drove more than one Hemi RR over the years that looked like this from the cockpit...

Smoked many a 'rower'...

Me likey a well dialed-in Hemi torqueflite...

A clutch pedal is fading into history...

A good running auto beats it in every way...

Faster, more consistent, easier on parts, easier in traffic(like say Woodward...

AND, without having to fool with a shifter, you can devote more time to the trinket in the pass seat...

Attachments
138932_Interior_Web.jpg

#2461568 - 03/05/18 02:23 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Rhinodart]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

Yeah, and how about all of those '69 M-Code girlymatic Darts and Cudas down Just like the '68 Road Runners when you ordered a 727 Torqueflite you could only get it as a column shift and only with a bench seat and only as an automatic if you bought a '69 M-Code Dart/Cuda.

#2461572 - 03/05/18 02:26 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RSNOMO]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

Ah, c'mon Jim...

Drove more than one Hemi RR over the years that looked like this from the cockpit...

Smoked many a 'rower'...

Me likey a well dialed-in Hemi torqueflite...

Faster, more consistent, easier on parts, easier in traffic(like say Woodward... OR IN HILLY PLACES LIKE PITTSBURGH,ETC., shock

AND, without having to fool with a shifter, you can devote more time to the trinket in the pass seat...

#2461577 - 03/05/18 02:36 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
chargervert Offline
master

I got a whole pile of column shift steering columns if you column shift huggers need them. I should have two more to add to the pile soon!

#2461579 - 03/05/18 02:42 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RSNOMO]
RMCHRGR Offline
pro stock

Which is really unfortunate in a lot of ways.

Faster, more consistent, easier on parts, easier in traffic

For drag racing, of course, at least in the modern age. Not many can row a stick and be as consistent or faster than an auto anymore, definitely a lost art.

But on the street in 'normal' or even 'spirited' driving, a floor shifted stick is way more fun.

Didn't Rick Ehrenberg once say something like "happiness is a manually shifted, firmly sprung Mopar?" And he wasn't talking about a MVB auto...
'17 Ram 1500

#2461582 - 03/05/18 02:47 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted By A12

Yeah, and how about all of those '69 M-Code girlymatic Darts and Cudas down Just like the '68 Road Runners when you ordered a 727 Torqueflite you could only get it as a column shift and only with a bench seat and only as an automatic if you bought a '69 M-Code Dart/Cuda.

Not my fault Chrysler bean counters were wimps and wouldn't let them put a 4-speed in an M-Code. I had a 68 Dart GTS that had a Mr. Norms motor mount in it and a 440 with 4-speed, I ended up cutting that car up as it was found in a field in northern Indiana, always wondered if it was factory, had an H-Code VIN but was one that fit around the time of the GSS's... work

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!

#2461600 - 03/05/18 03:17 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RalphsRapidTrnst]
DaytonaTurbo Offline

Originally Posted By RalphsRapidTrnst
IMO A Column Auto in a RR or Bee is right at home, LOVE IT! It goes with the whole RR, Bee theme. In a GTX R/T or Charger I just can't get use to the idea of a column auto.

I agree with you there. The RR and Bee was supposed to be the bare bones performance car. A luxury item like a console makes more sense in a Charger or GTX.

But on the street in 'normal' or even 'spirited' driving, a floor shifted stick is way more fun.

x2. The autos are boring to drive. Even my wife daily drives a stick yet some of the tough guys on here complain about them!

#2461613 - 03/05/18 03:39 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RMCHRGR]
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer

Didn't Rick Ehrenberg once say something like "happiness is a manually shifted, firmly sprung Mopar?" And he wasn't talking about a MVB auto...

I'll bet Booger would change his mind real quick if he was ever here at 94 and 696 at four in the afternoon...

With the amount of congestion on the roads today, and the condition, combined with the 'quality' of driver's, rowing don't sound like too much fun...

Play time is there if you want it in the auto world, especially late-model...

Far less hassle out there with the idiot's when you don't...

The 'auto' has a LONG history of kicking a$$ in these parts...

And not just on the strip...

Attachments
2_3_low_res.jpg

#2461625 - 03/05/18 04:10 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RSNOMO]
RMCHRGR Offline
pro stock

I'll bet Booger would change his mind real quick if he was ever here at 94 and 696 at four in the afternoon...

With the amount of congestion on the roads today, and the condition, combined with the 'quality' of driver's, rowing don't sound like too much fun...

Ehrenberg is from Queens, he knows what its like around here.

I daily drove a 6 speed stick for years between Long Island and Westchester County, NY (55 miles each way). Trust me, it's a very short list of places that are more congested than those roads at any time of day, let alone rush hour. There were days it literally took 3 hours to get home. I've done my time with a stick.

Did it get tiring after a while? Sure. There were plenty of times when I got out of the car and felt totally drained. But, I wouldn't have changed it. Kept me on my toes and engaged. Better road feel and more control in every situation.

Conversely, driving my Ram is like driving a couch on wheels. There are times I find myself barely paying attention. Recently, my commute changed dramatically for the better but if I had the choice, I still would have opted for a stick.

If there is something that's worse than a column shifter in a muscle car, it's a rotary shift knob in a truck.
'17 Ram 1500

#2461631 - 03/05/18 04:29 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RMCHRGR]
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer

Kept me on my toes and engaged.

Tell you what, you bring that orange bomb here for the Woodward cruise...

To do a complete loop, at the peak, takes a good 8 hours...

Of non-stop bumper to bumper...

Come row it and tell me how 'engaged' you are...

Hours upon hours of traffic...

All kinds of purple...

Can you hang???

#2461642 - 03/05/18 05:06 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
chargervert Offline
master

Originally Posted By A12

shock shock

I was the guy who suggested that the owner of this car bring it to Carlisle and have Dick Landy authenticate it,Landy died a few months after Carlisle. He did authenticate that it was his car.

#2461651 - 03/05/18 05:29 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Alaskan_TA]
Morty426 Offline
master

Loc: Sacramento CA

I love the greens too.

Since Barry loves Green and 70 Coronets

Column shift SIXPACK coupe

Attachments
IMG_1148.jpg

#2461657 - 03/05/18 05:47 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By A12
[quote=DAYCLONA][quote=RMCHRGR][quote=A12]

So how many of you bought, ordered or owned a muscle car back in the '60's and very early '70's ('70-'72) and a Mopar for that matter??????? Those that did to me would have opinions that hold more value knowing the times and what was going on. That includes GREEN cars too laugh2 But everyone is entitled to their opinion...

I've had my Challenger T/A since the mid 70's, along with my other E bodies, and assorted B bodies, all which I still own...before that it was Pontiacs

Green/brown/gold cars were plentiful, but not desired among the motorheads, column shiftered cars were for mom/pops and granny as where automatics regardless of where the shifter was located, My Challenger T/A was my first Mopar, first thing it got was a set of headers, the second was a 4sp pistol grip conversion, then a repaint from Plum Crazy to Hemi Orange before it even hit the road, it was my daily driver on nice days...my winter beaters were disposable C bodies, with those I didn't care if it was a column shift(dork stalk)

But it dosen't matter how long you've been in the hobby, what marques you've owned, we all have preferences, and different desires, dislikes, and agendas for our toys...

Attachments
mancard.JPG

#2461658 - 03/05/18 05:53 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: DAYCLONA]
chargervert Offline
master

There were two orange 4 speed Challengers in the area back then! We kept the local cops busy ! Then my friend Jim and I painted our 70 Charger R/Ts identical,to continue to mess with the cops! Those were the days! LOl

#2461660 - 03/05/18 05:58 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer

I'd wager that......

The haters 'back in the day' are the same haters here now.

When I was a wee lad, we looked at all Mopars, regardless of color, transmission type & the number of doors.

They were all cool then & they still are today.

#2461661 - 03/05/18 06:01 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Morty426]
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer

Originally Posted By Morty426
Since Barry loves Green and 70 Coronets

Column shift SIXPACK coupe

Nice!

(my birthday is in June..... whistling )

#2461670 - 03/05/18 06:12 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RSNOMO]
RoadRunnerLuva Offline
master

Kept me on my toes and engaged.

Tell you what, you bring that orange bomb here for the Woodward cruise...

To do a complete loop, at the peak, takes a good 8 hours...

Of non-stop bumper to bumper...

Come row it and tell me how 'engaged' you are...

Hours upon hours of traffic...

All kinds of purple...

Can you hang???

And.....don't forget to to have a top shelf cooling system in your ride, as you will DEFINATELY need one. Also, lotsa bottled cold water
for your "loop" from Pontiac to I-696 and back again... wave

1972 Plymouth Duster...418ci Stroker Small Block
1973 Dodge Charger SE Brougham...400ci Big Block (SOLD)
1971 Plymouth Duster...360 4bbl (SOLD)
1970 Dodge Challenger...340 4bbl (SOLD)
1969 Dodge Dart...440 Big Block (SOLD)
1969 Chrysler 300 Convertible...440 Big Block (SOLD)
1968 Dodge Dart Custom...318 4bbl (SOLD)
1998 Dodge Dakota R/T 5.9 Magnum
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0

#2461674 - 03/05/18 06:16 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Rhinodart]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By A12

Not my fault Chrysler bean counters were wimps and wouldn't let them put a 4-speed in an M-Code. I had a 68 Dart GTS that had a Mr. Norms motor mount in it and a 440 with 4-speed, I ended up cutting that car up as it was found in a field in northern Indiana, always wondered if it was factory, had an H-Code VIN but was one that fit around the time of the GSS's... work

Real reason was not the bean counters I was told, Chrysler didn't have a Dana at the time for the Dart/Cuda 440 4-speed so it had to be an automatic or nothing. My '69 M-Code Dart has the floor cut out and was a 4-speed with the stock 3.91 8-3/4 rear. Also the inner fenders are cut out for headers....must have been one of those "racecars" grin

#2461688 - 03/05/18 06:37 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By A12
just think 40 or 50 years from now 2018 Demon owners will get railed for having an automatic column (paddle) shift and not a 6-speed manual :laugh2

I think in 50-80 years from now most Hellcats/Demons if they aren't rendered useless because their HAL9000 OB puter fried and replacement are NSI...they'll be transplanted with Tesla "motors", all you have is a go pedal...

#2461710 - 03/05/18 07:21 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RoadRunnerLuva]
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer

Originally Posted By RoadRunnerLuva
And.....don't forget to to have a top shelf cooling system in your ride

Always amazes me how many are on the side with the hood up...

I've been out there every year since '95...

Made the run in 90+ degree heat many times...

Never a lick of trouble...

Nothing exotic, just an OEM cooling system built to A/C specs...

No aluminum, no electric fans, no 'flex'...

(And three pedals...

Accelerator, brake, and parking brake...

Oh, and this...

Re-bushed, re-worked, and dialed-in to OEM splendor...

Attachments
26332040006_large.jpg

#2461719 - 03/05/18 07:36 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RSNOMO]
ChryCoGuy Offline
master

Can't we all just get along... laugh2

#2461738 - 03/05/18 07:52 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: ChryCoGuy]
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer

Originally Posted By ChryCoGuy

Music may help?

With a Chrysler, or course;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SOryJvTAGs

Haters may hate music too though.....

#2461744 - 03/05/18 08:17 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: ChryCoGuy]
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer

Originally Posted By ChryCoGuy

LMAO...

You DO know where you are???

#2461869 - 03/06/18 12:03 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RSNOMO]
E-Ticket Offline
top fuel

Loc: Louisville, KY

You got that right.... Especially when you get older and after a couple of hernia surgeries...lmao.... up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK-Dqj4fHmM

#2461880 - 03/06/18 01:13 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By A12
whistling

Almost perfect. Needs the pedal put back. I was hunting a non-console car when I found my Bee. Still buckets, though.

Looking for my original 383 block. Last seen around the Atlanta area. 7449 are the last 4 of the VIN.

#2461888 - 03/06/18 04:29 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By A12
Is the Demon available in a stick or is it just available with the column shift (paddle) AUTOMATIC because it is QUICKER!!

I've always been confused by those proud that they took the easiest way to go fast. Let a computer and technology take the skill right out of it. The three easiest things to do in the car world: go fast with an automatic, put an LS in it, and bracket race a Tesla. No great skill involved. Put it in drive, buy a kit from Kroger or pay your $120,000. Sure, you can use the paddle shifters, but for the most part they go faster shifting on their own. (Fastest Hellcat in the world at 9.04 has a stick...) whistling

#2461896 - 03/06/18 06:03 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: OhioMopar]
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master

Originally Posted By A12
Is the Demon available in a stick or is it just available with the column shift (paddle) AUTOMATIC because it is QUICKER!!

I've always been confused by those proud that they took the easiest way to go fast. Let a computer and technology take the skill right out of it. The three easiest things to do in the car world: go fast with an automatic, put an LS in it, and bracket race a Tesla. No great skill involved. Put it in drive, buy a kit from Kroger or pay your $120,000. Sure, you can use the paddle shifters, but for the most part they go faster shifting on their own. (Fastest Hellcat in the world at 9.04 has a stick...) whistling

You think it’s easy to drive a car that will go 3’s at over 200mph, in the 1/8th, because it’s an automatic?

#2461913 - 03/06/18 07:43 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Spaceman Spiff]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By A12

You think it’s easy to drive a car that will go 3’s at over 200mph, in the 1/8th, because it’s an automatic?

I missed where anyone in this thread showed or even mentioned a car that runs 200 mph in the 1/8, making that a relevant question. It must be crazy keeping them on the track since they generally put a transmission in that had LESS gears than any mentioned in the thread, and an air shifter to shift them. You must have been talking about all the 3 second rides with column shifts and bench seats? Or the ones with the A-833 or Tremec 6 speeds?
But to your question, I guess Tim Mcamis thinks it's pretty easy anymore. I don't have any illusions that it is. But enjoy.
https://youtu.be/EAJ9PMf_aYY

#2461956 - 03/06/18 09:35 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
EV2Bird Offline
No more politics

#2462019 - 03/06/18 11:54 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer

In the 'modern' world, ain't no foot out there gonna compete with a microprocessor...

Here's some 'modern' vintage...

From Stanton last year...

Damn if the top five ain't ALL autos...

A clutch pedal is fast becoming 'nostalgic'...

Attachments
Scan0008.jpg

#2462074 - 03/06/18 02:04 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RSNOMO]
RMCHRGR Offline
pro stock

From Stanton last year...

Damn if the top five ain't ALL autos...

I hung out with a F.A.S.T. racer last year who rows a stick and he admits it's tough to be competitive. Not sure it's really a fair comparison though since converter tech has improved dramatically over the last 45 years but a clutch is essentially still just a clutch.

If you want to launch a stick car you have to have some RPMS before you side step the clutch. Then you start getting into scatter shield territory and parts breakage is a more frequent occurrence. And try getting any traction with an OE suspension and skinny bias tire - forget it.

Is it fun to row gears? Yeah but unless you have the associated equipment to support it it's not the easiest route to the winners circle.

But again, that's drag racing and not typical street driving. I still maintain a 4 speed is way more fun in just about every other circumstance. I just don't see the joy quotient being as high with a column shifter.
'17 Ram 1500

#2462097 - 03/06/18 02:59 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RMCHRGR]
MuscleMopars Offline
master

Hey, I used to only want 4 speed cars but as I get older and my arthritis gets worse the automatic cars have become my preference. It gets very painful to continue to clutch and shift a 4 speed car. I don't think I'm the only one with that problem... and I get just as good of a thrill driving a column AT today. And when the day comes "they" say I shouldn't be driving anymore and they take my keys away...well I'm hiding spare keys now. Hopefully I can remember where I hide them...
715-426-HEMI
612-669-CARS

#2462151 - 03/06/18 04:27 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
CompSyn Offline
super stock

Loc: Pacific NW USA
My first Mopar was a plane-jane 68 Charger, column shift auto and bucket seats with a center buddy seat. So not exactly a bench seat but close to it. I was younger and didn't appreciate this combo. So I swapped it out to the sportier center console and a manual valve body in the trans.

In many ways I missed the fold down buddy seat arm rest. It was so comfortable to simply put the car in drive and rest my arm on the arm rest; more leg room too. Also, the hot honey sitting next to me could scoot on over and cuddle up; a nice plus. In my mind, this is the ultimate and most comfortable in a cruising machine.

Now, many years later, I still have the buddy seat I removed from my first Mopar. I plan on installing it in my column shifted 69 Road Runner. And oh yes, IT IS GREEN smoke

#2462152 - 03/06/18 04:31 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RMCHRGR]
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer

But again, that's drag racing and not typical street driving. I still maintain a 4 speed is way more fun in just about every other circumstance.

You can maintain whatever you want...

Technology, and the driving 'challenges' of 2018 say different...

1) The page I posted from Stanton was Pure Stock, not F.A.S.T.

Every one of those cars would have absolutely no problem on the street...

2) The photo I posted of the SB was from the street-where it lived 99% of the time...

Damn near 50 years ago...

The auto killing it out there on the street ain't nothing new...

40 years ago, my street car had three pedals...

I was zinging it out there...

Today??? Wouldn't even THINK about a clutch...

The clutch is an anachronism...

#2462180 - 03/06/18 05:21 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
RMCHRGR Offline
pro stock

Ok you win.

Congratulations.
'17 Ram 1500

#2462194 - 03/06/18 05:43 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
340wedge Offline
master

Loc: Myrtle Beach, SC formerly the ...
I had always heard that Chrysler's torqueflite was the first automatic transmission that could shift as fast as a manual.

#2462228 - 03/06/18 06:29 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: 340wedge]
CompSyn Offline
super stock

Loc: Pacific NW USA
Originally Posted By 340wedge
I had always heard that Chrysler's torqueflite was the first automatic transmission that could shift as fast as a manual.

Jim Thornton of the Ramchargers comments in this interview how traction was the weak link back in the day. Automatics helped in overcoming this.

"... and you could race any Ford or Chevy or Pontiac and usaully beat them, uh, and if you're running the automatic transmission you surly beat them because the traction was so poor at that time. - 11:10

Watch here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2xuact

#2462233 - 03/06/18 06:39 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: E-Ticket]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By E-Ticket

You got that right.... Especially when you get older and after a couple of hernia surgeries...lmao.... up

I'll be the first to agree with you that rowing a manual sucks in stop and go traffic, BUT, that's if your rowing an old school 833 and linkaged TOB, upgrade the vehicle to a Tremec TKO600 or Tremec T56 along with a modern hyd TOB, and a 2800-3200 lb pressure plate requires no more effort than power brakes, and at low speed a TKO or T56 can be nudged out of gear without the clutch if need be, I recall sitting in line for HOURS waiting to get in the fairgrounds, wasting my time to attend the Mopar Nationals, something I would never do with an old school 833 4spd set up, with a Tremec/hyd TOB no more added effort than an automatic... something to consider when we're comparing auto to manual attributes, some of us are running modern manual transmissions and accompanying support system

#2462260 - 03/06/18 07:10 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: DAYCLONA]
fourgearsavoy Offline

Loc: Rittman Ohio
I run a stick car because it's fun and not boring like a glide in the 1/8th mile shruggy I have used all the heavy clutches and the Centerforce II that I have in the car right now is very light pedal but surprisingly good holding pressure. I would never install an automatic in my car even when I needed a new left hip replacement. I've had 4 speeds and 5 speeds in my car with and without syncronizers and my current box is a syncronized HEMI box with the diaphragm clutch and I love it. thumbs
There is a reason it costs more to have a stick car, IT'S WORTH IT !!!

Gus drive
Dana 60

#2462290 - 03/06/18 07:42 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Spaceman Spiff]
fourgearsavoy Offline

Originally Posted By A12

It's probably hard when you have high heels and a skirt on to go with the automatic whistling

Attachments
IMG_0023-1.JPG

Edited by fourgearsavoy (03/06/18 07:44 PM)
Dana 60

#2462489 - 03/07/18 08:38 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
EV2Bird Offline
No more politics

Thats a crazy old but cool long shifter, ive a GF101 in my street racer with the modern version of that shifter.

#2462543 - 03/07/18 10:33 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
6PKRTSE Offline
master

Loc: Motor City
Absolutely amazing that such a disliked option has made so many pages worth of entertainment. It appears all of us would settle for any old cool optioned Mopar but many prefer the console & bucket seats for the true muscle car feel.
1970 Plymouth Road Runner.
1996 2500 RAM 488 V-10 4X4.
2012 Challenger R/T Classic.

#2462553 - 03/07/18 10:56 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: 6PKRTSE]
fourgearsavoy Offline

Absolutely amazing that such a disliked option has made so many pages worth of entertainment. It appears all of us would settle for any old cool optioned Mopar but many prefer the console & bucket seats for the true muscle car feel.

FWIW I'm putting a bench back in my car with the big curved handle and white ball on top shruggy
Dana 60

#2462555 - 03/07/18 10:58 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
fourgearsavoy Offline

Originally Posted By EV2Bird
Thats a crazy old but cool long shifter, ive a GF101 in my street racer with the modern version of that shifter.

Yeah that thing has seen some laps down the track and a few thousand street miles too biggrin

Gus beer
Dana 60

#2462558 - 03/07/18 11:06 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RSNOMO]
DaytonaTurbo Offline

The clutch is an anachronism...

So are these old cars we fawn over. Maybe you should sell yours and buy a new challenger with an automatic that can be driven by a soccer mom while texting wearing heels. spank laugh2

#2462708 - 03/07/18 03:27 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: DaytonaTurbo]
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer

So are these old cars we fawn over.

Wrong...

There's a dedicated group here that show-up at Stanton every year...

With cars produced 45+ years ago, but dialed-in with surgical precision...

Looking and running better NOW than when they were new...

Above and beyond that, there's a whole bunch more here...

You can see 'em the third Sat of Aug every year...

You've demonstrated you know how to post high school gibberish...

Now, why don't you come down here and show 'em how its done???

And make sure you tell 'em all about their 'feminine' auto's...

#2462844 - 03/07/18 07:46 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RSNOMO]
fourgearsavoy Offline

There are advantages to driving an automatic in in big money classes there is no doubt about that. There are a few guys that can drive a GOOD manual transmission and go rounds (personally I have gone 11 rounds for the win) without missing a gear.

When is the last time you seen a thread about switching from a manual to an auto? Most of the swaps go the other way from auto to manual for some reason whistling
Stick cars are expensive to build but they are enjoyable to drive and most muscle car guys would agree while racers think it's just a novelty.
That's why they make both kinds of transmissions,stick for people that are coordinated and automatic for people that can only step on the gas shruggy

Gus beer

Attachments
23231224_1750435168331817_8297307229037431265_n.jpg

Dana 60

#2462972 - 03/08/18 12:33 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
AARCONV Offline

Loc: NEW JERSEY
I love my bench..might put back my column shifter handle just for fun

Attachments
2018-03-08 00.31.37.png

#2462973 - 03/08/18 12:39 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RSNOMO]
John Brown Offline
super stock

Loc: South Bend

Wrong...

The PSMCDR drivers at Stanton are all about consistency and going faster with what they have. Many of them have raced the same car for years. Auto on the column doesn't bother them one bit. Hats off to all of em.

#2462974 - 03/08/18 12:49 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: John Brown]
RamblerMan Offline
master

Loc: Castlegar, BC, Canada
Yeah, I don't know what the big deal against them is either. I see them as a quaint, sign of the times. Wanna feel like it's 1974 again? Hop in a car with a bench and column shift. Even better if the car has a COLORED interior!! Remember Red Interiors? Green? Blue? Tan???? Gold?!?!

Those were the days, indeed.

I miss my blue Hornet. Suzie the little blue coupe. Six cylinder, Bench Seat, Column Shift, Power Drum brakes. Such a sweet little car.

Attachments
100_2110.JPG

#2462992 - 03/08/18 06:05 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RSNOMO]
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master

Wrong...

Will YOU be racing YOUR car....
Or just on the sidelines....
With your Pom-Poms....

#2463147 - 03/08/18 01:10 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: fourgearsavoy]
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer

Originally Posted By fourgearsavoy
When is the last time you seen a thread about switching from a manual to an auto? Most of the swaps go the other way from auto to manual for some reason

Here's one now...

And like many others in these parts, it's left its mark...

I've been up close and personal with this car, and it is mind-blowing...

Just a sterling example of an extraordinary Mopar...

10.90's on a bias-ply...

Column auto, and all...

And can still putt-putt into the local McPuke, and dazzle all in attendance...

Attachments
Scan0009.jpg

#2463172 - 03/08/18 01:57 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RSNOMO]
feets Offline
Senior Management

Loc: Irving, TX
My 65 Belvedere was a column shift car that had been converted to a floor shift. I swapped the auto for an 18 spline 833.
The 18 spline box was later replaced with a 833 OD box.
After the engine relocation and power increase I tossed the 833 and stuffed a 727 back in the car.

As for my current car, I won't argue with my column shifted split power bench seat. I can guarantee that I'll spend more time in this seat than I did in the 65.

Attachments
imperial seats.jpg

#2463178 - 03/08/18 02:08 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RSNOMO]
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master

Originally Posted By fourgearsavoy
When is the last time you seen a thread about switching from a manual to an auto? Most of the swaps go the other way from auto to manual for some reason

Here's one now...

And like many others in these parts, it's left its mark...

I've been up close and personal with this car, and it is mind-blowing...

Just a sterling example of an extraordinary Mopar...

10.90's on a bias-ply...

Column auto, and all...

And can still putt-putt into the local McPuke, and dazzle all in attendance...

Still waiting for pictures of your Hemi car....
The one that you race....

#2463184 - 03/08/18 02:19 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Spaceman Spiff]
tboomer Online   happy

Loc: The frozen wasteland of Iowa
You won't see one....I don't think one exists whistling

#2463191 - 03/08/18 02:34 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

[u]"What's so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars?"

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! And few if anyone, back in the day, got their panties in a bunch like some do today about it. Most of the time you got your butt kicked by that granny, girlymatic combo so you had little bad to say about it. Less option costs and to the point for a street racer. Bad enough that the Hemi option was almost 1/3 of the cost of the base car price and then adding options only for bling like a fake wood grain console and high grade interior with chrome armrest bases with ashtrays, etc., that added no performance. The barebones mid-size, low cost, big block Mopar muscle cars are what put Mopar on the youth map back in the day and there were thousands of column shift, bench seats that helped that and I'm grateful for all of them. Mopar or no car regardless of options IMO.

Mike

Edited by A12 (03/08/18 02:35 PM)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,495 Registered Members
32 Forums
193,122 Topics
2,254,434 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Amsoil 69 dodge charger commercial
by rdrnr6970
09/25/18 08:21 AM
Something odd happened this morning
by 70HemiGTX
09/25/18 08:12 AM
Gear Vendors Overdrive Tames This Insane 1,200HP Dart
by Rustymuscle
09/25/18 06:32 AM
1970 Dodge Monaco Production Figure Source??
by DeMopuar
09/24/18 10:40 PM