Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2461484 - 03/05/18 11:36 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Tempest]
MuscleMopars Offline
master

Loc: North Central USA (MN-WI area)
Originally Posted By Tempest
Originally Posted By Alaskan_TA
I love to see original cars regardless of engine /
transmission combination from /6 up.

I love the greens too.

There will always be 'haters', color haters, column shift haters, etc.

I try to avoid the hater mentality types in real life as much as possible.

Ditto.

Ditto Ditto
715-426-HEMI
612-669-CARS

Go to my Moparts "Profile" to see my web site

#2461512 - 03/05/18 12:27 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RMCHRGR]
DAYCLONA Online   content
I Live Here

Loc: Mass
Originally Posted By RMCHRGR
Originally Posted By A12
Here's a column auto with a bench seat that spent 95% of its life drag racing by the original owner.

That's all fine and good but that car deserves a floor shift whether it be an auto or 4 speed.

Call me a hater but I don't get some of you guys with the column shift love, it's the epitome of boring. Whether it's in an A990, Hemi Bee or 6 pack RR, I don't think I will ever be convinced a column shift car is cool.

agreed! ...back in the day having a vehicle with a column shift it was known as being equipped with a "dork stalk", it was about as cool as having mag wheels and side pipes on a 4dr granny car

#2461517 - 03/05/18 12:35 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: DAYCLONA]
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck

Loc: Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
And talked about her for decades as a GirlyMatic... stirthepot

JB Rhinehart, Realist

2018 Carlisle All-Chrysler Nationals July 13-14
Hurst Nationals held in conjunction includes
1968 Dodge Dart and Barracuda Hemi Super Stock Reunion!
Expo Center across from the main gate, register online!

#2461558 - 03/05/18 02:05 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Rhinodart]
I_bleed_MOPAR Offline
master

Loc: Dacula, GA
Originally Posted By Rhinodart
No reason for an automatic in anything! tonguue Besides, what is better than a bench seat 4-speed with the old lady in the middle, second and fourth goes to heaven... drive

thumbs boogie

Forgot but my '69 RR M-code was a bench/column auto. Unknown if it was an A12 as back then I didn't know what an M-code was. blush I do know it was EV2 with an R4 hood and hinges. work Did have a 440 but have no idea if it was the original engine (headers, cam, Eddy intake, 850 Holley, etc.)

Tim

#2461561 - 03/05/18 02:12 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: DAYCLONA]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

Loc: N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By A12
Here's a column auto with a bench seat that spent 95% of its life drag racing by the original owner.

That's all fine and good but that car deserves a floor shift whether it be an auto or 4 speed.

Call me a hater but I don't get some of you guys with the column shift love, it's the epitome of boring. Whether it's in an A990, Hemi Bee or 6 pack RR, I don't think I will ever be convinced a column shift car is cool.

agreed! ...back in the day having a vehicle with a column shift it was known as being equipped with a "dork stalk", it was about as cool as having mag wheels and side pipes on a 4dr granny car

So how many of you bought, ordered or owned a muscle car back in the '60's and very early '70's ('70-'72) and a Mopar for that matter??????? Those that did to me would have opinions that hold more value knowing the times and what was going on. That includes GREEN cars too laugh2 But everyone is entitled to their opinion............just think 40 or 50 years from now 2018 Demon owners will get railed for having an automatic column (paddle) shift and not a 6-speed manual laugh2

Column shift, at least it's not this:

Edited by A12 (03/05/18 02:15 PM)

#2461567 - 03/05/18 02:22 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Rhinodart]
RS23U1G Online   rolleyes
Moparts Torchbearer

Loc: Detroit
No reason for an automatic in anything! tonguue Besides, what is better than a bench seat 4-speed with the old lady in the middle, second and fourth goes to heaven... drive

Ah, c'mon Jim...

Drove more than one Hemi RR over the years that looked like this from the cockpit...

Smoked many a 'rower'...

Me likey a well dialed-in Hemi torqueflite...

A clutch pedal is fading into history...

A good running auto beats it in every way...

Faster, more consistent, easier on parts, easier in traffic(like say Woodward...

AND, without having to fool with a shifter, you can devote more time to the trinket in the pass seat...

Attachments
138932_Interior_Web.jpg

#2461568 - 03/05/18 02:23 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Rhinodart]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

Yeah, and how about all of those '69 M-Code girlymatic Darts and Cudas down Just like the '68 Road Runners when you ordered a 727 Torqueflite you could only get it as a column shift and only with a bench seat and only as an automatic if you bought a '69 M-Code Dart/Cuda.

#2461572 - 03/05/18 02:26 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RS23U1G]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By RS23U1G

Ah, c'mon Jim...

Drove more than one Hemi RR over the years that looked like this from the cockpit...

Smoked many a 'rower'...

Me likey a well dialed-in Hemi torqueflite...

Faster, more consistent, easier on parts, easier in traffic(like say Woodward... OR IN HILLY PLACES LIKE PITTSBURGH,ETC., shock

AND, without having to fool with a shifter, you can devote more time to the trinket in the pass seat...

#2461577 - 03/05/18 02:36 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
chargervert Online   content
master

Loc: RI Deep in the rust belt
I got a whole pile of column shift steering columns if you column shift huggers need them. I should have two more to add to the pile soon!
70 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi 70 Charger R/T convertible 70 Charger R/T V Code Sixpack 69 Charger R/T SE Sunroofcar 68 Charger 383 68 Charger 318 71 Charger R/T 70 Challenger convertible 71 Challenger convertible 71 Cuda 340 09 Challenger R/T Classic

#2461579 - 03/05/18 02:42 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RS23U1G]
RMCHRGR Offline
pro stock

Loc: Spahn Ranch

Which is really unfortunate in a lot of ways.

Faster, more consistent, easier on parts, easier in traffic

For drag racing, of course, at least in the modern age. Not many can row a stick and be as consistent or faster than an auto anymore, definitely a lost art.

But on the street in 'normal' or even 'spirited' driving, a floor shifted stick is way more fun.

Didn't Rick Ehrenberg once say something like "happiness is a manually shifted, firmly sprung Mopar?" And he wasn't talking about a MVB auto...
'17 Ram 1500

#2461582 - 03/05/18 02:47 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck

Loc: Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Originally Posted By A12

Yeah, and how about all of those '69 M-Code girlymatic Darts and Cudas down Just like the '68 Road Runners when you ordered a 727 Torqueflite you could only get it as a column shift and only with a bench seat and only as an automatic if you bought a '69 M-Code Dart/Cuda.

Not my fault Chrysler bean counters were wimps and wouldn't let them put a 4-speed in an M-Code. I had a 68 Dart GTS that had a Mr. Norms motor mount in it and a 440 with 4-speed, I ended up cutting that car up as it was found in a field in northern Indiana, always wondered if it was factory, had an H-Code VIN but was one that fit around the time of the GSS's... work

JB Rhinehart, Realist

2018 Carlisle All-Chrysler Nationals July 13-14
Hurst Nationals held in conjunction includes
1968 Dodge Dart and Barracuda Hemi Super Stock Reunion!
Expo Center across from the main gate, register online!

#2461600 - 03/05/18 03:17 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RalphsRapidTrnst]
DaytonaTurbo Offline

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted By RalphsRapidTrnst
IMO A Column Auto in a RR or Bee is right at home, LOVE IT! It goes with the whole RR, Bee theme. In a GTX R/T or Charger I just can't get use to the idea of a column auto.

I agree with you there. The RR and Bee was supposed to be the bare bones performance car. A luxury item like a console makes more sense in a Charger or GTX.

But on the street in 'normal' or even 'spirited' driving, a floor shifted stick is way more fun.

x2. The autos are boring to drive. Even my wife daily drives a stick yet some of the tough guys on here complain about them!

#2461613 - 03/05/18 03:39 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RMCHRGR]
Moparts Torchbearer

Didn't Rick Ehrenberg once say something like "happiness is a manually shifted, firmly sprung Mopar?" And he wasn't talking about a MVB auto...

I'll bet Booger would change his mind real quick if he was ever here at 94 and 696 at four in the afternoon...

With the amount of congestion on the roads today, and the condition, combined with the 'quality' of driver's, rowing don't sound like too much fun...

Play time is there if you want it in the auto world, especially late-model...

Far less hassle out there with the idiot's when you don't...

The 'auto' has a LONG history of kicking a$$ in these parts...

And not just on the strip...

Attachments
2_3_low_res.jpg

#2461625 - 03/05/18 04:10 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RS23U1G]
RMCHRGR Offline
pro stock

Loc: Spahn Ranch
I'll bet Booger would change his mind real quick if he was ever here at 94 and 696 at four in the afternoon...

With the amount of congestion on the roads today, and the condition, combined with the 'quality' of driver's, rowing don't sound like too much fun...

Ehrenberg is from Queens, he knows what its like around here.

I daily drove a 6 speed stick for years between Long Island and Westchester County, NY (55 miles each way). Trust me, it's a very short list of places that are more congested than those roads at any time of day, let alone rush hour. There were days it literally took 3 hours to get home. I've done my time with a stick.

Did it get tiring after a while? Sure. There were plenty of times when I got out of the car and felt totally drained. But, I wouldn't have changed it. Kept me on my toes and engaged. Better road feel and more control in every situation.

Conversely, driving my Ram is like driving a couch on wheels. There are times I find myself barely paying attention. Recently, my commute changed dramatically for the better but if I had the choice, I still would have opted for a stick.

If there is something that's worse than a column shifter in a muscle car, it's a rotary shift knob in a truck.
'17 Ram 1500

#2461631 - 03/05/18 04:29 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RMCHRGR]
Moparts Torchbearer

Kept me on my toes and engaged.

Tell you what, you bring that orange bomb here for the Woodward cruise...

To do a complete loop, at the peak, takes a good 8 hours...

Of non-stop bumper to bumper...

Come row it and tell me how 'engaged' you are...

Hours upon hours of traffic...

All kinds of purple...

Can you hang???

#2461642 - 03/05/18 05:06 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
master

Originally Posted By A12
One of Dick Landy's race cars a '70 Charger

shock shock

I was the guy who suggested that the owner of this car bring it to Carlisle and have Dick Landy authenticate it,Landy died a few months after Carlisle. He did authenticate that it was his car.
70 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi 70 Charger R/T convertible 70 Charger R/T V Code Sixpack 69 Charger R/T SE Sunroofcar 68 Charger 383 68 Charger 318 71 Charger R/T 70 Challenger convertible 71 Challenger convertible 71 Cuda 340 09 Challenger R/T Classic

#2461651 - 03/05/18 05:29 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: Alaskan_TA]
Morty426 Offline
master

Loc: Sacramento CA
Originally Posted By Alaskan_TA
I love to see original cars regardless of engine /
transmission combination from /6 up.

I love the greens too.

There will always be 'haters', color haters, column shift haters, etc.

I try to avoid the hater mentality types in real life as much as possible.

Since Barry loves Green and 70 Coronets

Column shift SIXPACK coupe

Attachments
IMG_1148.jpg

#2461657 - 03/05/18 05:47 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
DAYCLONA Online   content
I Live Here

Loc: Mass
Originally Posted By A12
[quote=DAYCLONA][quote=RMCHRGR][quote=A12]

So how many of you bought, ordered or owned a muscle car back in the '60's and very early '70's ('70-'72) and a Mopar for that matter??????? Those that did to me would have opinions that hold more value knowing the times and what was going on. That includes GREEN cars too laugh2 But everyone is entitled to their opinion...

I've had my Challenger T/A since the mid 70's, along with my other E bodies, and assorted B bodies, all which I still own...before that it was Pontiacs

Green/brown/gold cars were plentiful, but not desired among the motorheads, column shiftered cars were for mom/pops and granny as where automatics regardless of where the shifter was located, My Challenger T/A was my first Mopar, first thing it got was a set of headers, the second was a 4sp pistol grip conversion, then a repaint from Plum Crazy to Hemi Orange before it even hit the road, it was my daily driver on nice days...my winter beaters were disposable C bodies, with those I didn't care if it was a column shift(dork stalk)

But it dosen't matter how long you've been in the hobby, what marques you've owned, we all have preferences, and different desires, dislikes, and agendas for our toys...

Attachments
mancard.JPG

#2461658 - 03/05/18 05:53 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: DAYCLONA]
master

There were two orange 4 speed Challengers in the area back then! We kept the local cops busy ! Then my friend Jim and I painted our 70 Charger R/Ts identical,to continue to mess with the cops! Those were the days! LOl

#2461660 - 03/05/18 05:58 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer

Loc: Moredoor, PA
I'd wager that......

The haters 'back in the day' are the same haters here now.

When I was a wee lad, we looked at all Mopars, regardless of color, transmission type & the number of doors.

They were all cool then & they still are today.

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Forum Stats
25,338 Registered Members
32 Forums
190,103 Topics
2,217,838 Posts

Most users ever online: 882 @ 03/05/17 10:15 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Low Oil Pressure
by Stroker Scamp