Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2459692 - 03/01/18 09:24 PM Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars?
EV2Bird Offline
No more politics

Loc: Kansas Roads Between 0 and 140...
Of course other then resale and option costs when new and maybe even being a bit biased here but I see the majority of mopar folks give a huge thumbs down on these type cars regardless of the power train.

So what gives, ive never been out shifted or tossed out of a bench seat by not having buckets and a floor shifter.

To me the mopar buckets are not really any more comfortable then a relaxing bench and you can do so much more with the bench seat.

The last car I sold was a V code runner with a bench and auto on the column and it was bought by a non mopar guy who didnt even mention the bench/auto setup as it was.

So what gives? So many want the bare bones no options but take huge exception to this.

#2459699 - 03/01/18 09:36 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
E-Ticket Offline
top fuel

Loc: Louisville, KY
Not the most desirable options in a lot of peoples eyes but still cool in a V-code like you said or a hemi car.

I bought a column shifted, bench seat, drag car from some very sharp racers around here about 30 years ago that had disassembled the shift assembly of the column and had massaged the column shifter to the point where that car was incredibly firm on each and every shift. Would have never believed it but these guys were old school racers and very sharp so I'm not putting the column shift down at all....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK-Dqj4fHmM

#2459704 - 03/01/18 09:43 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: E-Ticket]
Neil Online   content
I Live Here

Loc: Eagle, Idaho
I don't mind auto on the column and bench seats in B-Body cars for example.

Auto on the column with buckets seems odd. Doesn't necessarily mean I would change it if I had such a car. I just would not have ordered one that way when new.

#2459707 - 03/01/18 09:45 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: E-Ticket]
buildanother Offline
I Live Here

Loc: chicagoland,usa
I modified the column "steps" on a volare I have now for 727 w/reverse man body. Works good, and I DO have now a floor shifter column for later date.

#2459727 - 03/01/18 10:08 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
paironines Offline
super stock

I had a 69 Charger in high school with column shift and buckets/ buddy seat combo and I remember liking leaning on the buddy seat in the down position. Pretty comfortable. I actually did switch it over to floor shift and console because I had the parts with correct column plus floor shift was cooler back then. Would I switch it now? Idk.
I know a guy with a high impact colored e body with a bench and column shift and I personally like the combo and wouldnt change it.

#2459753 - 03/01/18 11:06 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
RMCHRGR Offline
pro stock

Loc: Spahn Ranch
Funny this was brought up. Been looking for a car and If I come across something I like but then see it's a column shift bench seat car it's kinda like wah wah waaah.

IMO bucket seats and a floor shift actually give you a better feel for the car and ostensibly put you in a more relaxed and natural driving position.

With a column shift you tend to lean forward a bit more which can change your hand position on the wheel; I tend to hold the wheel upside down with my left hand instead over the top so you're almost pulling the wheel instead of pushing. That's generally with your hand on the selector though, any other time your hand is probably on top.

Conversely, my truck has a bench seat with a four speed. With one hand on the wheel and one hand shifting I do slide around a little which can be annoying.

Hate to say it but a column shifted automatic has to be the most boring method of shifting regardless of the car. I mean if you had a hemi or some such thing why would you choose a column shift? I get the sleeper aspect but how often does that apply anymore? Just my 2 cents...
'17 Ram 1500

#2459754 - 03/01/18 11:06 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
340wedge Offline
master

Loc: Myrtle Beach, SC formerly the ...
My 71 Duster 340 has a split bench with arm rest and auto on the column. I am happy with it and love the oddity of the interior. Whoever ordered it I think did so to save weight. Bench seat, the column shift, no radio and rubber floor instead of carpeting, but they ordered the interior décor package! eek I will say it is really comfortable to ride in.

Attachments
20170918_134451.jpg

Edited by 340wedge (03/01/18 11:11 PM)

#2459755 - 03/01/18 11:12 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
AARCONV Offline

Loc: NEW JERSEY
Bench and column shifted cuda...with a shaker....Priceless...

#2459762 - 03/01/18 11:41 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
Not_A_Duster Offline
master

Loc: SK. Canada
I have a high back bench with the folding center armrest in the Demon. Just as comfy as buckets, plus a higher seating position, which I like.

I searched through many wrecking yards to find the seat, then recovered it myself.

Column shift automatic had to go when I converted the car to a 4 speed.

Edited by Not_A_Duster (03/01/18 11:49 PM)

#2459766 - 03/01/18 11:59 PM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Loc: Mt.Gilead, Ohio
Anything I ever saw performance related as a kid had buckets and a floor shifter. Every daily driver grandma mobile I encountered was a bench seat, column shift. Anyone driving hard on a tv show seemed to be doing it with a hand on a shifter, not dropping it in drive and letting the valve body do the work for you. That's probably where my particular bias came from. Maybe it was the scowl on my dad's face when he got in our Dodge Crestwood wagon after mom drove it and had to pull on the adjuster knob extra hard to get that whole long seat to move back into the position he needed it to be. Maybe it was being uncomfortable in the passenger side of the seat as I got older because there was no adjusting for anyone else's comfort up there. Just whoever was driving. Lol. Hard to tell, really, but bench/column shift always screamed "grandma's car" or "taxi cab" to me. Then there is the crowd that loves column shifts because they take the least amount of talent to go fast in, but that is a debate for another day.

Looking for my original 383 block. Last seen around the Atlanta area. 7449 are the last 4 of the VIN.

#2459770 - 03/02/18 12:05 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: RMCHRGR]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

Loc: N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted By RMCHRGR
Funny this was brought up. Been looking for a car and If I come across something I like but then see it's a column shift bench seat car it's kinda like wah wah waaah.

IMO bucket seats and a floor shift actually give you a better feel for the car and ostensibly put you in a more relaxed and natural driving position.

With a column shift you tend to lean forward a bit more which can change your hand position on the wheel; I tend to hold the wheel upside down with my left hand instead over the top so you're almost pulling the wheel instead of pushing. That's generally with your hand on the selector though, any other time your hand is probably on top.

Conversely, my truck has a bench seat with a four speed. With one hand on the wheel and one hand shifting I do slide around a little which can be annoying.

Hate to say it but a column shifted automatic has to be the most boring method of shifting regardless of the car. I mean if you had a hemi or some such thing why would you choose a column shift? I get the sleeper aspect but how often does that apply anymore? Just my 2 cents...

Because in 1968 model year if you ordered your '68 Hemi Road Runner with the best automatic transmission ever to that point and quicker than most 4-speed racers could get a car off of the line with 7" wide bias ply wide oval tires or even 7' wide slicks down the quarter mile, that's all that you could get; A bench seat, column shifted 727 Torqueflite automatic. Then go back to the original idea behind the ('68) Road Runner of being a no frills, bare bones medium body with a big block with performance as the key sales feature. When you started to add carpet, a console, (even for a 4-speed) and bright trim, and interior bling then a column shift automatic was pretty much more of a performance way to control an automatic transmission. No useless console with an extra "glove box" chrome fake vent and floor lights. I asked the question on here a while back of which was lighter a bench seat or two bucket seats and the majority of replies came back that the bench seat was lighter. So we add to the already lighter column shifter without a console and the lighter bench seat and that adds up to lighter more performance. I ordered my '69 Road Runner in 1969 with a Torqueflite, bucket seats and a console only because it looked sportier and cooler. When ever I drag raced I sometimes found myself looking down at the console auto shift lever for no real reason but it took more than the time it took to look than at a column shift PRND21. My '68 Road Runner of late had a column shift 727 and I didn't mind it and didn't care what anyone thought. My current '69 GTX is a console mounted 4-speed and the only time I like it better than the automatic RR's I've owned is a few times going through the gears or when some "car guy" looks in and says "yeah man it's a 4-speed"........if they only knew that a column automatic will kick its butt almost every time. And don't forget the current "paddle" shifters are basically COLUMN shifted automatics.....tell the Demon and Hellcat owners that the next time they make fun of your column automatic Hemi or 440 SIX PACK/6BBL. tonguue

MikeR

My girlymatic on the column, I handed in my man card every time I drove it and was so embarrassed. And to add insult to injury it's GREEEEEEEEN blush

Attachments
DSC02321rs.jpg

Edited by A12 (03/02/18 12:24 AM)

#2459773 - 03/02/18 12:19 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
hemicar1971 Offline
master

Loc: Chicago Blackhawks
Use to drive a Car for a guy at the Drag Strip. 1969 A12 Super Bee column shift automatic with reverse manual. It originally was a bench seat car but had two Race Buckets. Car ran tens and was so calm from start to finish at the drag strip. It was nothing like running my Challenger with the four speed that was a violent pass every time. I would not hesitate to buy a column shift car if I like everything else and yes it could be a Hemi on the column auto with a shaker.

#2459792 - 03/02/18 03:00 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much

Loc: the frozen wastes...

Nothing WRONG with them... they're just not... sporty... is all. Bench/column screams grampa's car. That will never change. It took me 10 cars before i ever got into my first Mopar... 8 GM A-bodies and 2 Cadillacs. Every single one, save one 70 Skylark, had bench/column. The first Mopar i bought was a 73 Rallye Challenger, buckets, pistol grip... and that thing, although slower than my Stage 1, just screamed race car. Maybe if you're building a more plebian-bodied sleeper, like a square-bodied A or B-body... it'd fit, but if its a true muscle car, or any E-body... then i think it should be floor shifted and bucket seats. Why the hell they ever put a column shift in an E-body i dont know. Chevy never column-shifted a Corvette...

#2459806 - 03/02/18 05:49 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
dfsmopars Offline
top fuel

Loc: Kentucky
I am just now getting rid of the column shift on my ‘72 Charger. Drove it a long to me but for me it was just too sedate. Converted from bench to bucket years ago. However, a bench four speed would be great put IMO also just not a 318/column shift/bench.

#2459808 - 03/02/18 06:05 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
Spaceman Spiff Online   penguin-006
master

Loc: jersey
All this talk of column or floor shifters.
And here I am pushing buttons.
With a RMVB.

#2459815 - 03/02/18 07:02 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: A12]
RMCHRGR Offline
pro stock

Loc: Spahn Ranch
Originally Posted By A12
I asked the question on here a while back of which was lighter a bench seat or two bucket seats and the majority of replies came back that the bench seat was lighter. So we add to the already lighter column shifter without a console and the lighter bench seat and that adds up to lighter more performance.

Bench seat lighter than buckets? In what universe? I yanked the bench out of my Duster and it was literally 100 lbs. (I weighed it). Though they are not stock/OE seats, the high back buckets that replaced it are 22 lbs each.

Column shifter can't really be that much lighter when you start to include the associated parts like the shift tube, longer linkage, the column collar and shifter itself. Lightest auto linkage would have to be the floor shifter, it's just a couple short rods, no? And think about it - are there any aftermarket column shifters? Wonder why?

In regards to choosing a bench/column combo - I just asked why a performance buyer in particular would make that choice over a floor shifted auto or 4 speed, extra cost or not. I wasn't of car buying age at the time (I was born in 1970) but didn't most of the 'youth market' want a 4 speed with their sporty muscle car?

'17 Ram 1500

#2459818 - 03/02/18 07:08 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer

Loc: Moredoor, PA
I have two column shift cars, one with buckets & buddy seat & one with bench.

For E-body automatic cars, regardless of seat, I would rather have the shifter on the column.

No console that way, (they look goofy to me) & if it is not there, no rattles.

Buy hey, I love green too. All my cars have either green interior, top, paint or combinations thereof.

#2459823 - 03/02/18 07:27 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
EV2Bird Offline
No more politics

Loc: Kansas Roads Between 0 and 140...
I wonder if ma mopar had thoughts on this when building cars way back then.

Growing up my pops had only olf ford trucks inline 6-s with 3 on the tree so although I just missed being able to buy our old classics new in the late 70-s early 80-s I had no issues with buying six pack cars and even a hemi car with a column shift.

Really a column shifter in good working order had zero advantage over the floor shift, its not like the linkage ratio or goofy stuff like that was a factor although some of mopars inland shifters and then some of the hockey stick length long handle p grip shifters made one wonder at times.

And I will admit one factor was the cruise with or cruise for chicks factor, the bench seat 4 speed made for some interesting times but the console deal just didnt get it.

One big factor I can understand is/was header clearance on the column shift linkage.

#2459836 - 03/02/18 08:04 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
QuickDodge Offline
super stock

Loc: Cruising!
A bench seat is bad when two people of considerably different heights ride on it. I'm tall and HATE to ride in a car with a bench seat and a short driver!! In order for them to reach the pedals, my knees have to be jammed into the dash.

A split bench seat is good, especially for a daily driver. On a long drive, I like to move around a little bit and change seating positions slightly. A big, comfortable seat with no console can be perfect for longer drives.

In a performance car that is set up for cornering, a bucket seat that holds the driver in place behind the steering wheel is very important. Most of the 1960's and early 1970's factory seats were not primarily designed to hold the driver in place. These seats may have been better than the bench seats, but only a little better. Of course, with stock tires and suspensions, many of the muscle cars did not need real performance seats.

#2459856 - 03/02/18 09:08 AM Re: Whats so bad about auto on col. and bench seat cars? [Re: EV2Bird]
68Cbarge Online   content
master

Loc: Canuckville
I know of a 72 Charger Ralleye one of 289 built 340 4 speed that was built in Windsor with a bench seat...

Me? I own a 73 Satellite wagon bench seat column shift 3 ON DA TREE
The wagon is so PLAIN JANE that today it is very cool!
When people hear me upshift or down shift and hear the snap,crack and cackle of the Super Turbo mufflers they are surprised to see no shifter on the floor.
Of course,I have to put the column shifter in REVERSE to get the keys out.That makes it look like an automatic with the stick in the up position.When people see the third pedal they are surprised.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,637 Registered Members
32 Forums
195,750 Topics
2,290,484 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Fun (?) with oil rebates and buying online
by ZIPPY
12/18/18 01:56 PM