02/27/18 03:08 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By topside
In the 2nd photo, it looks as though there's what's called an "open blend" in the sail panel (C-pillar). It may be possible to polish that back so any further repair can avoid re-shooting the roof; if not, should be able to backtape that contour.
The flaking on the quarter could be from a lacquer primer and/or paint that began cracking and over time allowed moisture intrusion.
Repair will involve expanding that area to clean it up, but at least you have good contours for back-taping.
Check around at local paint suppliers to see if there's a painter in your area who's skilled at solving these types of problems; it also requires an enthusiasm for the task.

Agreed, chances are the repair area was lacquer based, as that was SOP back in day for blended collision repair, you'll need an experienced painter/mixer to achieve an acceptable blended repaint, IMHO knowing what limited paint choices that are available in single stage, Dupont Centari Acyrlic Enamel is perhaps the best choice for an "old school" blend, you do have a good roof line edge above the gutter to backtape, and to take the blend further along and hide it into the roof...

before repaint though the entire car should be properly paint detailed so the blended repair actually "blends in" from an aesthetics point of view...

be prepared for lots of spray outs and material costs before the repaint even takes place, color match won't be your biggest hurdle, the metallic shape/content/brilliance will be...

AFAIK Centari Acrylic Enamel is still available in NY as I had purchased some just about 2 yrs ago from a NY mixer, but supplies of single stage are drying up or being discontinued because of VOC compliance, so don't dwell on this project, or a entire VOC friendly repaint could be in your future

Re: Need painting advice for a survivor paint car. [Re: DAYCLONA] #2458457
02/27/18 04:29 PM
02/27/18 04:29 PM
pa.
D
dan9 Offline
super stock
dan9  Offline
super stock
D

pa.
Do you mean you can still find what we used to call “factory pack” paint ? If so that would be the way to get the best chance for a match of the flake and color. It looks to me that the repaint did not match very well comparing the door to the quarter panel. Matching the panels is going to be tough without blending into the door. Even when those cars were new and with factory packaged paint you could see the repaint comparing panel to panel. Mopars with their acrylic enamel were not the best finishes in their day. Especially the metallics.

Last edited by dan9; 02/27/18 11:59 PM.
Re: Need painting advice for a survivor paint car. [Re: rarefish] #2458477
02/27/18 05:15 PM
02/27/18 05:15 PM
So Near, Yet So Far
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Near, Yet So Far
"Specialty coatings" is the term for VOC-non-compliant paint; some places put a cap on how much you can use.

Something else to consider is whether the replacement quarter was belt-cut or replaced in full: check inside the trunk and up the inside of the pillar, and for that matter around the perimeter. Might have to fix the sound deadener, too, if an OEM-original appearance is the goal.

Re: Need painting advice for a survivor paint car. [Re: rarefish] #2458508
02/27/18 06:19 PM
02/27/18 06:19 PM
Connecticut
jeff968 Offline
master
jeff968  Offline
master

Connecticut
Originally Posted By rarefish
I'm thinking that they should shoot the panel with single stage enamel and blend it only at the C-pillar.
I'm not expecting a miracle here as I know matching old paint is really hard to do. I just don't think using a clear coat is the way to go when just re-shooting part of a car that still has it's original paint.

I totally agree. Don't let them touch the original paint in any way. The quarter and C-pillar blend are already non-original so nothing to lose there. And the choice of single stage enamel is also a good one, just like what the factory used. Now, to find the paint and the person with the expertise to do the job.... Good luck

Last edited by jeff968; 02/27/18 06:19 PM.

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A

Re: Need painting advice for a survivor paint car. [Re: jeff968] #2458675
02/28/18 01:15 AM
02/28/18 01:15 AM
New York
rarefish Offline OP
top fuel
rarefish  Offline OP
top fuel

New York
The quarter that was hung by the body shop was "belt cut". I assuming they did it that way to avoid having the remove the rear window.
The job was poorly done by today's standard. All of the welding was done using a brazing torch. The top of the quarter is in a little too much where it meets the driver's door gap.
What I got now is not pretty. I know getting a color match with a metallic paint is going to be a problem. I'm just hoping to make the car more presentable and avoid dropping big money getting it that way. Being that it is a A-body. It is real easy to get upside down money wise in one.

100_3911.JPG100_3902.JPG
Re: Need painting advice for a survivor paint car. [Re: rarefish] #2458730
02/28/18 07:38 AM
02/28/18 07:38 AM
B
BLACKHEMIRR Offline
mopar
BLACKHEMIRR  Offline
mopar
B

I worked for a body shop supply store for several years after high school in the 80's. One time I had one of the painters actually bring the Mustang he had just painted the quarter on to the store to show me my mistake. I had mixed him Centari acrylic enamel for this silver Mustang, but wrote the formula down wrong, and added a couple parts of green rather than black. He was a great guy, but mad that day. It was a green quarter against a silver door, but you could not see the blend on the sail panel at all! It can be done, and there are a couple jobbers that still have PPG Delstar mixing tints. I'm kicking around painting my B7 car in single stage so the color would be right.

Re: Need painting advice for a survivor paint car. [Re: BLACKHEMIRR] #2458763
02/28/18 11:21 AM
02/28/18 11:21 AM
WV
L
Little Detroit Offline
super stock
Little Detroit  Offline
super stock
L

WV

IMO, seems you are getting a lot of well intended advise, but none that suit your needs, from what I can see from a few photos on the net.
I myself do my own Painting and I may not be the best there is, but im definitely no where near the worst either.
Blending was and is best done with lacquer paints, enamels will not melt into your original paint to your expectations if you are looking for a perfect match. First enamels have a natural " orange peel" effect no matter how good you are with the spray gun, there will a degree of orange peel that will need to be wet sanded and buffed to match your original paint. However if you are able to paint the entire panel edge to edge with enamel you may be able to get good texture match. from what I see IMO with the repairs that were done and the bad prep work , I don't believe your 1/4 panel is a candidate for blending. the idea of blending is to save from the cost of a repaint or for minor repairs.
on the other hand you may be able to find someone that says they can do it, but at what cost, and how far away from you will you have go the get the repair done. as others said you will have to find a very talented individual and that usually means more higher pricing.
now for the part that others forgot to tell you, if the previous repair was done with lacquer ,you will need to strip it regardless of the type paint you choose.(lifting problems and or the lacquer "hazing" ) do not put a catalyzed material over top of lacquer. of course it depends on the type finish you desire. just my opinion .

Re: Need painting advice for a survivor paint car. [Re: rarefish] #2458807
02/28/18 01:08 PM
02/28/18 01:08 PM
Long Island, NY
70plymA34 Offline
super stock
70plymA34  Offline
super stock

Long Island, NY
not sure if this will help. Chroma Paint in Hicksville NY was mixing Dupont Centauri. As far as i know they still do it. Southern Auto Color might have Delstar still. Regulations in the south seemed slightly lax in comparison to the north. LOL... Both places are old school and customer service is very good.

On small projects, I found the centauri easier to spray out than the ppg equivalents.

Super Commando
Re: Need painting advice for a survivor paint car. [Re: rarefish] #2458879
02/28/18 02:27 PM
02/28/18 02:27 PM
Canada
D
demon Offline
super stock
demon  Offline
super stock
D

Canada
The quarter panel was replaced and repainted, so that paint is not original on that particular panel. Either have someone who is experienced with /restoration/survivor type cars repaint the quarter with single stage paint to match the door, trunk lid, or if the majority of paint on that quarter is decent and a good colour match, have it spotted in along the top surface and call it done.

Hard to see from a photo, but I'd be inclined to spot in the top and leave the 40 year old repainted quarter as is unless the paint is failing on the rest of the quarter badly.

Buff the two scuffs off the side and leave the side as is

Awesome Dart by the way!

Last edited by demon; 02/28/18 02:29 PM.
Re: Need painting advice for a survivor paint car. [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #2458971
02/28/18 05:23 PM
02/28/18 05:23 PM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
Get a hold of Frank Badalson and ask him, he's repaired a number of survivor paint jobs, he knows some talented guys who can do it in single stage (properly). sixpackfrank@aol.com

iagree

Better to go with someone experienced like Badalson. You could end up with a big mess by having someone that professes to know how to do it.

Say, what color are your seat belts?

Nice Dart.

Last edited by dart4forte; 02/28/18 05:23 PM.

“So if it’s on the internet it must be true”

Abe Lincoln
Re: Need painting advice for a survivor paint car. [Re: rarefish] #2458981
02/28/18 05:43 PM
02/28/18 05:43 PM
-
R
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
RSNOMO  Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
R

-
Originally Posted By rarefish
I'm wondering if I can find a shop locally that can do it right.

That's the way I'd approach it...

We got a coupla' old-timers in these parts that are wizards when it comes to color match...

There's got to be somebody your way...

Trick's gonna be finding 'em...

Tread lightly...

Re: Need painting advice for a survivor paint car. [Re: dart4forte] #2459361
03/01/18 01:03 PM
03/01/18 01:03 PM
New York
rarefish Offline OP
top fuel
rarefish  Offline OP
top fuel

New York
Originally Posted By dart4forte
Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
Get a hold of Frank Badalson and ask him, he's repaired a number of survivor paint jobs, he knows some talented guys who can do it in single stage (properly). sixpackfrank@aol.com

iagree

Better to go with someone experienced like Badalson. You could end up with a big mess by having someone that professes to know how to do it.

Say, what color are your seat belts?

Nice Dart.

It has blue seat belts with black carpets....

105_4543.JPG
Re: Need painting advice for a survivor paint car. [Re: rarefish] #2461876
03/06/18 03:59 AM
03/06/18 03:59 AM
Ohio
P
PDR Dude Offline
PDR Dude  Offline
P

Ohio
Try talking to a couple local Paint Reps. The guys that sell the body shops the paint. There in and out of the shops dealing with the painters, problem cars, color match etc. Likely they would know the best painter in your area. Someone that knows how to shoot single stage and "melt it in" blend it. Reps. typically have the computer color eye equipment too...

Page 2 of 2 1 2