02/20/18 05:15 PM
02/20/18 05:15 PM
Keymar, MD
DusterKid Offline OP
top fuel
DusterKid  Offline OP
top fuel

Keymar, MD
Anyone know the size different in a A body vs a C body transmission tunnel size? I'm assuming that since C body's came with Big Blocks their tunnel would be quite a bit larger.

Reason for asking:

Have a A body with a Big block and use a trans sheild which is pretty darn tight with the tunnel. Would like to increase the size of the tunnel, but don't want a flimsy tin tunnel and would like to keep the floor all in tack. Have a 71 Fury I'm scraping thought of cutting the tunnel out of it and installing it in my A body if it would increase the trans tunnel size. I know it's alot of work, and prob easier way to do it, but I have all the parts, just would be time which I have.

Re: Tranmission tunnels [Re: DusterKid] #2454812
02/20/18 10:41 PM
02/20/18 10:41 PM
Houston
I
it's Bob Offline
enthusiast
it's Bob  Offline
enthusiast
I

Houston
Actually just the opposite! Since the C's were larger cars, taller firewall, higher roof lines, the seats sat up much higher than the A, B/E seats. To make the C's more luxurious and roomy the tunnel in the C was made as small as it could be. Right up at the firewall the tunnel is going to be lower and probably no wider than your A tunnel. Since you have a C there really take a look at it and measure it, height/width and see for yourself.

What you could do is cut out the C trans hump and DS tunnel as much as you need and section it into your A body. It would take a bit of planning to make the cuts in the right shapes, wedges/triangles and tapered rectangles to fill in where you raised/widened your A tunnel but you would have the correct gauge metal. You could maybe just cut the top off you A tunnel and weld the C tunnel on top, spreading the A metal to get you extra height/width.

If you only need more room at the firewall, which it sounds like, you may only need to modify the firewall and a few inches back. JMHO

Re: Tranmission tunnels [Re: DusterKid] #2454924
02/21/18 02:25 AM
02/21/18 02:25 AM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Be sure to pay attention to the gas pedal clearance.

Re: Tranmission tunnels [Re: DusterKid] #2454978
02/21/18 08:16 AM
02/21/18 08:16 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Cut the hole. Then Roll a piece of sheet metal over large PCV pipe Sticck it in from the bottom. Leave it long. Tack weld around the inside of the car with 1" welds. Go underneath and trim the excess. I welded mine from both sides completely so it could be metal finished. This is a B-Body but the same principle. Measure to the gas pedal first to leave room. The pice I used was small , thus the side seam. Works out great.
Doug

B85.jpgB86.jpgB88.jpg
Re: Tranmission tunnels [Re: it's Bob] #2455014
02/21/18 11:38 AM
Keymar, MD
DusterKid Offline OP
top fuel
DusterKid  Offline OP
top fuel

Keymar, MD
Originally Posted By it's Bob
Actually just the opposite! Since the C's were larger cars, taller firewall, higher roof lines, the seats sat up much higher than the A, B/E seats. To make the C's more luxurious and roomy the tunnel in the C was made as small as it could be. Right up at the firewall the tunnel is going to be lower and probably no wider than your A tunnel. Since you have a C there really take a look at it and measure it, height/width and see for yourself.

What you could do is cut out the C trans hump and DS tunnel as much as you need and section it into your A body. It would take a bit of planning to make the cuts in the right shapes, wedges/triangles and tapered rectangles to fill in where you raised/widened your A tunnel but you would have the correct gauge metal. You could maybe just cut the top off you A tunnel and weld the C tunnel on top, spreading the A metal to get you extra height/width.

If you only need more room at the firewall, which it sounds like, you may only need to modify the firewall and a few inches back. JMHO

Thanks for the info, never really thought of it that way, but makes sense.

Re: Tranmission tunnels [Re: dvw] #2455015
Keymar, MD
DusterKid Offline OP
top fuel
DusterKid  Offline OP
top fuel

Keymar, MD
Originally Posted By dvw
Cut the hole. Then Roll a piece of sheet metal over large PCV pipe Sticck it in from the bottom. Leave it long. Tack weld around the inside of the car with 1" welds. Go underneath and trim the excess. I welded mine from both sides completely so it could be metal finished. This is a B-Body but the same principle. Measure to the gas pedal first to leave room. The pice I used was small , thus the side seam. Works out great.
Doug

That's nicely done. I may end up doing that instead.