02/16/18 02:33 PM
PA
J
Jerry Yarbrough Offline OP
Jerry Yarbrough  Offline OP
J

PA
Hello,
I just joined have been a Mustang guys for years but love Mopars and now at 71 want to try a Mopar. So here is what I am thinking and I can use any and all advise. I am looking a nice 55 Dodge truck but want to go modern with it. Who sells updated chassis that would that the Body of 55 Dodge truck and then I want to go modern Hemi and dr up ive line so need help there also.

That is my problem so I know I am not the first to ask so give me thoughts.
Thank you in advance.
Jerry in PA

Re: 55 Doge Pickup conversion to modern chassis and drive train [Re: Jerry Yarbrough] #2452690
02/16/18 06:36 PM
02/16/18 06:36 PM
colorado
S
savoy64 Offline
top fuel
savoy64  Offline
top fuel
S

colorado
there are several similar trucks here where the dakota front frame clip is used-----if you use the whole frame the rear frame kicks up into the pickup box---there are plenty of new hemi conversions detailed here as well....

Re: 55 Doge Pickup conversion to modern chassis and drive train [Re: Jerry Yarbrough] #2452702
02/16/18 06:52 PM
02/16/18 06:52 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
If you want a modern Hemi, I think I would start out with a running, driving Hemi Durango. Then modify the 55 sheet metal to fit. You would be way ahead of the game if you use the firewall and the front floor pan from the Durango. The box is going to end up being about 10" deep, so I hope your not intending on hauling much.
Its not a simple nor an easy job, but makes a fun truck in the end.

The next option is to use a Dakota front clip, (joined behind the Dakota trans crossmember). Then pick up a Hemi & its trans. www.hotwireauto.com makes a stand alone harness (you need to connect to 4 wires from your ride's harness) to make the Hemi run with the EFI, its not cheap, but it works well. Gene

Re: 55 Doge Pickup conversion to modern chassis and drive train [Re: Jerry Yarbrough] #2452988
02/17/18 12:03 PM
02/17/18 12:03 PM
Oregon
E
earlymopar Offline
pro stock
earlymopar  Offline
pro stock
E

Oregon
You asked specifically on aftermarket frames to fit your truck and don't sound like your interested in modifying something else to fit. With that in mind there likely is nothing immediately available but there are companies like Art Morrison who can design and fabricate a frame made to fit your truck and that would have modern suspension, ride height of your choice and that has all of the stock mountings, etc. They are state of the art frames but are expensive.

- EM

Re: 55 Doge Pickup conversion to modern chassis and drive train [Re: Jerry Yarbrough] #2453300
02/18/18 01:18 AM
02/18/18 01:18 AM
PA
J
Jerry Yarbrough Offline OP
Jerry Yarbrough  Offline OP
J

PA
earlymopar,
yes I would be one the falls more into your mentioned category. not into modifying and end up with a mistake that is costly and time consuming.
Chevy and Ford trucks have the modern chassis ready to go bakes suspension and body fits for the most part right on.
Thank you guys for your experience and knowledge. If I find the right truck I will be back to have a go at it.
THANKS Jerry

Re: 55 Doge Pickup conversion to modern chassis and drive train [Re: Jerry Yarbrough] #2453792
02/19/18 04:22 AM
02/19/18 04:22 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Jerry, How much of a build are you interested in doing yourself? I would consider building a new frame, or modifying the existing original frame for your truck up to whatever level you might want to finish it. We would have to see what your state would allow or require. PA and get pretty picky about to how stuff gets titled. We may have to build off the original truck's frame. PM me here if your interested. Gene

Re: 55 Doge Pickup conversion to modern chassis and drive train [Re: Jerry Yarbrough] #2454772
02/20/18 09:32 PM
02/20/18 09:32 PM
Santa Cruz, Ca
4woody Offline
4woody  Offline

Santa Cruz, Ca
They don't show exactly what you are looking for on their site, but I'd at least call Industrial Chassis.
They specialize in Dakota-based suspension:
http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/

Re: 55 Doge Pickup conversion to modern chassis and drive train [Re: 4woody] #2468645
03/19/18 04:34 PM
03/19/18 04:34 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

Pick up the last issue of Street Rodder. There will be tons of ads and one or more of them will get you exactly what you want.

I would seriously consider using the original frame unless it is rusted beyond repair. But to do it most easily the frame needs to be bare. Another thing I would consider is using an aftermarket "Mustang II" independent front end which is welded onto the existing frame and can also include rack and pinion steering, which will help[ get that gearbox off the frame right where the Hemi wants to go.

In the street rod world the MII suspension is very common and is capable of supporting a half ton pickup. There is a world of parts available. The stock components are ugly but they're mostly gone now, and tubular steel A-Arms are the replacement. Heidt's and Fatman Fabrications are where I'd go to look first, to see what they are doing.

Your existing frame is probably a lot like my '64 in that it has a beefy crossmember right behind the engine. This gets in the way of everything. It will have to go but should be replaced in function.

Fitting the Hemi and transmission is much easier with the frame out in the open.

R.