02/08/18 05:02 PM
02/08/18 05:02 PM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
There is no magical EFI that automatically tunes itself to exactly what your engine needs to make peak power. Can you find something that will run "good enough" with no adjustments or "tuning" yeah, but it won't make peak power. Its just like a carb out of the box, they usually are not right and require some work.

Quote:
Fi=People who can’t tune and can’t use a screwdriver.

I can tune, and use a screw driver. But that sucks, why mess with changing jets and air bleeds, when you can stroke a few keys and jump right back in the lanes. I can usually make needed changes in less time than it takes my water pump and fan to shut off. Should I choose I can do it while belted in. With EFI I actually put more effort into tuning because its so easy, and I have more time to make more passes.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
87 "Chrysler" Conquest
Re: thumperdart vs andy's fi [Re: Bad340fish] #2448630
02/08/18 06:14 PM
02/08/18 06:14 PM
Metro Detroit
OUTLAWD Offline
top fuel
OUTLAWD  Offline
top fuel

Metro Detroit
Originally Posted By Bad340fish

Quote:
Fi=People who can’t tune and can’t use a screwdriver.

I can tune, and use a screw driver. But that sucks, why mess with changing jets and air bleeds, when you can stroke a few keys and jump right back in the lanes. I can usually make needed changes in less time than it takes my water pump and fan to shut off. Should I choose I can do it while belted in. With EFI I actually put more effort into tuning because its so easy, and I have more time to make more passes.

This.

I drive my cars, a lot. I got my old 950 HP dialed in pretty well, but every time I would go for a drive, I would come home and pull the bowls off making PVR and IFR changes and smelling like gas chasing a perfect tune up. Well, it was perfect in the heat of the summer, but then in cooled off in the fall and the car would lean surge down the road...

Now, to see if the car would like more fuel, I click a few buttons and make a pass.

You still have to tune EFI, dropping a self-learning system on is the equivalent of dropping 750 Holley on out of the box and expecting it to be great.

Regarding injector placement. Most OEMS make decisions based on (1) emissions (2) packaging. Having the injectors point directly at the valve helps both of these. Moving them up in the runner will improve mixture preparation and charge cooling, i.e. moar power.

Faster, Faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...

71 Swinger - slowly collecting dust/parts
66 Belv. II - just a streetcar
88 Mustang - turbo LS beater
Re: thumperdart vs andy's fi [Re: OUTLAWD] #2448639
02/08/18 06:37 PM
02/08/18 06:37 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
I do like the idea of EFI on my junk, but "kind of / sort of" know how to tune a carb... and own a bunch of them that I still want to test.

Other than the $$$ (yeah, if I sold the carbs I'm sure I'd have the cash to go EFI), it's also the expectation that I'd be back to Ground Zero on my tune. Plus, it sure seems like a lot of people who switch to EFI encounter unexpected glitches, etc., that make the conversion effort harder than I think it should be.

I find it amusing that both Braswell and Pro Systems have used expressions like "EFI Headache Cure" on their FB pages. I'm guessing lots of people are expecting today's EFI systems should be sorted out well enough to be almost plug-n-play, then get all wrapped around a telephone pole when the reality hits home that it's a whole new set of challenges (especially if their stuff still isn't running as well as it did w/ their old carb). I don't have the time or patience to be one of those people, if it's going to be so problematic.

Re: thumperdart vs andy's fi [Re: dodger mope] #2448695
02/08/18 08:48 PM
02/08/18 08:48 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Brad your car would be perfect for EFI. One of the good throttle body kits would go on there fairly quickly and you would enjoy the tuning process. If you already have a MSD distributor and a return style fuel system then a throttle body kit drops on very quickly.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4