05/30/06 03:30 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I'm having a little bit of an issue. I tried something on the hood, I quickly wetsanded with 2000 then went to the turtle wax polish and a little 6" random orbital buffer/polisher. The surface does come out nice and smooth, but the light shines on it, there is like a white haze. The same sort of light haze the paint has after wetsanding. Anyone know what the deal is with that?

Refer to my earlier post...I talked with a local 'pro', this paint has no hardener and you cannot buff without scratching...the finer the grit, the smaller the scratches but scratches non the less. I'm in the process of sanding mine down for a re-coat with BC/CC (and it's a b*tch to get off!). Good luck, Chuck

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24479
05/30/06 07:48 AM
05/30/06 07:48 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Finally got to experiment with the paint/process this weekend. I painted our front door and storm door with hunter green Rustoleum. Since the original surface wasn't smooth I was really just playing with the mixture and roller method for practice. I wasn't too worried about orange peel. I must admit I was impressed and can definitely see the potential in the process. I can't wait until I get my Sprite project ready for paint.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24480
05/30/06 09:02 AM
05/30/06 09:02 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Quote:

I'm having a little bit of an issue. I tried something on the hood, I quickly wetsanded with 2000 then went to the turtle wax polish and a little 6" random orbital buffer/polisher. The surface does come out nice and smooth, but the light shines on it, there is like a white haze. The same sort of light haze the paint has after wetsanding. Anyone know what the deal is with that?

Refer to my earlier post...I talked with a local 'pro', this paint has no hardener and you cannot buff without scratching...the finer the grit, the smaller the scratches but scratches non the less. I'm in the process of sanding mine down for a re-coat with BC/CC (and it's a b*tch to get off!). Good luck, Chuck

I remember you saying that. But I've seen pics of charger's car, and of admactanium's test piece.. they are not red, but they are orange and I didn't see any of this haze there so I'm not sure why I'm seeing it.

I would think the haze would show up in any dark colors, but other people seem to be doing OK. I'll try some more tonight, maybe I need to wetsand a bit more than I'm doing.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24481
05/30/06 06:27 PM
05/30/06 06:27 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA

In the worst case, I can always switch back to Canvas White.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24482
05/30/06 06:52 PM
05/30/06 06:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I just wetsanded with 1500 so there's not enough shine to take any pics, but I'll try again after the next coat. There really isn't any orange peel but here is another shot before the sanding.

Here are some other pictures after that 8th coat, they are top 4 pics on my photo page here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xit1965/

There isn't any difference applying it where there's bondo, except the bondo soaks up the 1st coat pretty good.

I need to play with polishing at this point, probably on the hood since I'm not going to use it. I remember the guy with the Z with the stripe (sorry, can't recall the name) had some issues with getting the red to shine.

That looks really fantastic.

Couple questions since you're doing a little better than I at this point...

Did you have any orange peel problems at all once you figured the process out, or does it go on 100% smooth?

How much time are you spending wetsanding between coats? For instance, how much time does the hood take to sand sufficiently?

Thanks.. you're doing some great stuff there!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24483
05/30/06 07:01 PM
05/30/06 07:01 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Quote:

I just wetsanded with 1500 so there's not enough shine to take any pics, but I'll try again after the next coat. There really isn't any orange peel but here is another shot before the sanding.

Here are some other pictures after that 8th coat, they are top 4 pics on my photo page here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xit1965/

There isn't any difference applying it where there's bondo, except the bondo soaks up the 1st coat pretty good.

I need to play with polishing at this point, probably on the hood since I'm not going to use it. I remember the guy with the Z with the stripe (sorry, can't recall the name) had some issues with getting the red to shine.

That looks really fantastic.

Couple questions since you're doing a little better than I at this point...

Did you have any orange peel problems at all once you figured the process out, or does it go on 100% smooth?

How much time are you spending wetsanding between coats? For instance, how much time does the hood take to sand sufficiently?

Thanks.. you're doing some great stuff there!

It goes on nice and smooth, if there's any orange peel its very hard to see. I do see a little orange peel on the flat surfaces though, Ive probably put on too much paint there but even then the peel isn't bad and a quick wetsand gets rid of it. I've been waiting about 24 hours before wetsanding just to be safe but that is partially due to the fact that it fits into my schedule that way.

Things arent going that great though in terms of how it looks after wetsanding even with 2000 grit.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24484
05/30/06 09:17 PM
05/30/06 09:17 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Things arent going that great though in terms of how it looks after wetsanding even with 2000 grit.

Hazy?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24485
05/30/06 09:26 PM
05/30/06 09:26 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Hazy?

Exactly. Here it is after wetsanding with 2000 grit after the 8th coat:

then after an attempt at polishing:

its a hazy orange red now. Anyone got ideas on this?

If not I'm going back to plan A which is Canvas White (sorry GTSDave ).

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24486
05/30/06 10:13 PM
05/30/06 10:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Exit it looks like you didn't polish it enough the turtle wax polish is not that aggressive and it takes longer to polish it. It took over 30 minutes and about 6-7 coats of polish on the small area I did. It might work faster to use some Meguiar's diamond cut polish.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24487
05/30/06 10:14 PM
05/30/06 10:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Man, it was looking good until that haze issue. I was expecting it to come out like a mirror after seeing the before wetsanding pics!!

As far as touchups? Man... kind of sucks.... after 800gt sanding when you do touchups the paint doesnt seem to match just right.. it is almost better just to sand down the entire panel and put the additional coats needed. It can be done I guess if you take your time.. I guess it would be like any other touch up job.. except you need to be able to feather the edges from the roller pretty good..

I have a major problem with sanding through my edges.. I just cant stop doing it. I touched up some stuff.. a lot.. and I can see where I did it. The reason is because I just dont have the time to spend to do it right. It sucks having to constantly look over my shoulder for the popo or someone that isn't happy with me painting on their property.

Anyway, I called it quits.. finished up with what I had. The paint job sucks but much better than how it orignally looked. It is just too hard trying to rush this process out in the elements and having to drive it everyday, too.

I'll post some images and maybe a video soon. Putting the car back together. Just dont mind the orange peel ^_^

Blah.. speaking of oranges.. I dripped some citrius paint stripper on my paint... stuff works really good.. had it for a second on there and it ate through the top coats. Screwed up one of the nicer parts of the car too! Anyway, should come out with buffing but I already waxed... so maybe in the next couple months I will get it worked out.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24488
05/30/06 10:17 PM
05/30/06 10:17 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

oh, and for polishing it took me about 10hrs to polish my car.. the sun cooked me. Then I went over with a less aggressive polisher.. but didnt put in enough time on it.. I think just 3hrs.. it looked good enough with the turtle wax - for me.. after waxing it looked stupid shiny.. I can see every drip, peel, thin paint, inconsistancy, etc.. [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean].. but _still_ looks ok, haha

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24489
05/30/06 10:58 PM
05/30/06 10:58 PM
Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
GTSDave Offline
master
GTSDave  Offline
master

Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
Exit it is the polisher you are using. Orbital has never worked good for me. I have one and if yours is the one I am thinking of, it is barely good enough for waxing a car.

You need to use the right machine. It WILL remove the haze you are seeing.

-Dave

PLEASE Pray for our brothers and sisters in harms way.

If you are the owner of a GTS us at the GTS Registry www.gtsregistry.com
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: GTSDave] #24490
05/30/06 11:55 PM
05/30/06 11:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Exit it is the polisher you are using. Orbital has never worked good for me. I have one and if yours is the one I am thinking of, it is barely good enough for waxing a car.

You need to use the right machine. It WILL remove the haze you are seeing.

-Dave

I used a 7" Variable Speed Polisher/Sander and it was just as bad if not worse...it's just not gonna buff out because the paint isn't hard and buffing it just adds more scratching and hazing effect.

Check out the item on this web page...if this stuff hardens on its own, why would they sell hardeners? Take one of your test pieces thats had a day or two or week or whatever and try to sand it with 80/100 grit sandpaper...the paint will not powder, it balls up ('cause it's gummy)...you remember the scratch test? Here's a variation: rub the tip of your fingernail or the side of a penny across the paint. Don't try to scratch off the paint, just apply hard pressure or roll back and forth...it will leave an indention. This will not happen with any other style of painting that has hardener...go roll your finger or penny across your family car - it's hard as concrete.

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but look up 'Alkyd Enamel' (what we're using) on google and do some research. When this stuff is used without hardener, its baked on and cannot be buffed...what you spray is what you get...and as far as wax, the local jobber here says your not even supposed to wax BC/CC for several weeks. The wax prohibits the drying of the paint which is an even BIGGER problem with this technique since we're not using hardener.

As far as everyones pictures looking good, my car looked good too (from 5-10 feet away). Digital pictures do not always show the finer details...

Don't take my word for it...Take some time and research 'Alkyd Enamel', 'hardener', etc right here on the 'net...go visit or call your local Body Shop Supply store. They're usually more than glad to answer questions for potential customers (they did for me)...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24491
05/31/06 12:10 AM
05/31/06 12:10 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
That was using evercoat medium cut compound followed by megiuar's scratch remover follwed by meguiar's hand glaze.

I'm painting it canvas white. It'll look just as nice but the imperfections in the paint wont be as noticeable. This counts other light-colored scratches that may occur after it's painted that red would highlight.

GTSDave- thanks for the tip, but I can see myself spending more and more money on this trying to get it right only to end up frustrated and having spent too much on a $50 paint job.

At some point, I'll think I've put so much time and money into it that starting it wasn't worth it all when I could have just paid a few hundred and have it shot. One thing I'm glad about is that I saw the bodywork I missed with this red paint on it and I had a chance to fix it. I know I can get satisfactory results with white, and that will only cost me another $15 after I return the unused red paint, so that's the route I'm going.

I'll post some pics when there's no more red..

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24492
05/31/06 01:01 PM
05/31/06 01:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Exit, before you give up on red and all the work you've done, remember you almost gave up on the whole process once before as you were learning. You might want to work with the polishing some more before changing directions. The paint you've laid down so far is incredible, I'm betting you can work it out and get the shine you're after.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24493
05/31/06 01:24 PM
05/31/06 01:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Exit, before you give up on red and all the work you've done, remember you almost gave up on the whole process once before as you were learning. You might want to work with the polishing some more before changing directions. The paint you've laid down so far is incredible, I'm betting you can work it out and get the shine you're after.

I agree... Exit, you've done better than probably anybody who's tried it so far, and it'd be a shame to give up without giving it a heck of a try.

Could it be that the paint hasn't hardened sufficiently yet? Would it be possible to 'bake' a small area under a hot lamp or something and see if it'll polish easier?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24494
05/31/06 05:16 PM
05/31/06 05:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Exit those pics you posted that show smooth paint and great reflections 8th coat I think.
If it looks so good why wet sand the last coat live with it for a few weeks/months to harden and maybe if needed polish it then.
Just a thought

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24495
05/31/06 05:31 PM
05/31/06 05:31 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
i agree, exit, are you sure your not just seeing it worse than it really is? bacause your starring at it up close, and know every flaw on your paint??? try getting the wife to have a look at it, they're really good at pointing out everything wrong, espically when it's your hobby car!!!!! i'd stick with the red, it looks killer on that car. also when you pull it into the sun, it's a whole different story, trust me, even on my newer cars with BC/CC, you see flaws in the paint in the garage.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24496
05/31/06 05:32 PM
05/31/06 05:32 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Exit those pics you posted that show smooth paint and great reflections 8th coat I think.
If it looks so good why wet sand the last coat live with it for a few weeks/months to harden and maybe if needed polish it then.
Just a thought

That sounds like a decent idea. Im going to give it another shot on the hood tonight, skipping wetsanding and going right to polish and see if that looks any better. I dont think the sides need any sanding, but junk falls on the horizontal surfaces. Since I'm not using that hood most of the focus will be on the decklid. I suppose I could even take that off and paint it separately so that stuff doesnt fall on it.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #24497
05/31/06 05:37 PM
05/31/06 05:37 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

i agree, exit, are you sure your not just seeing it worse than it really is? bacause your starring at it up close, and know every flaw on your paint??? try getting the wife to have a look at it, they're really good at pointing out everything wrong, espically when it's your hobby car!!!!! i'd stick with the red, it looks killer on that car. also when you pull it into the sun, it's a whole different story, trust me, even on my newer cars with BC/CC, you see flaws in the paint in the garage.

how does this paint maintain shine if nothing is done to it? thinking of just finishing the red job and leaving it and not doing any sanding or polishing on it since it seems to look good like that. eventually it will probably need to be at least polished though right?

Last edited by Exit1965; 05/31/06 05:37 PM.
Page 2 of 159 1 2 3 4 158 159