05/06/07 10:22 PM
05/06/07 10:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

for the people that are spraying the paint. how do you clean out the gun???

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27599
05/07/07 08:45 AM
05/07/07 08:45 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just spray some mineral spirits through it when you are done, and wash out the cup with mineral spirits as well.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27600
05/07/07 11:41 AM
05/07/07 11:41 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I wanted to take quick second to send out a Thank You to Exit1965 . Your in depth description of "wringing" out the roller and "wetting" the surface solved the running problem I had with my test piece. My second and third coats have gone on almost glassy. I will wetsand it with 600 tonight and apply my 4th coat. So far it's lookin' good. There is no way I could have figured out the correct method to do this without all of the help given in this thread!!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27601
05/07/07 01:16 PM
05/07/07 01:16 PM
Laurens, SC
R
Radio Joe Offline
Radio Joe  Offline
R

Laurens, SC
I wanted to post some additional info- I read a few pages back to put down an aluminum foil liner in the paint tray so you can just throw away the foil and have a clean tray- THIS WORKS GREAT! so i have been using the same tray for quite a few coats now.

I also found that if I wrap my roller up in aluminum foil it doesnt dry out at all (It dried out slowly in the plastic bag I stored it in before)and you can go right back to using it. I have started rolling the red on my car and put on one coat, waited 2 days then went to add a second coat and the roller was still nice and wet and soft. give it a try

As far as 2 tone jobs and tape- I have switched to the BLUE "easy Release" tape as suggested and I hope it works better than the green tape. The green tape did an excellent job of masking the areas I didnt want paint on and gave a nice crisp line but when I peeled it off it left ashesive on the car. It took a bit of work to get it off- Some adhesive remover, mineral spirits, then let it dry a little, then more mineral spirits. I got it all off but was too worried about damagign the black paint when I taped onto it so I switched. I'll let you know how it turns out- With any luck I will be done painting sometime next weekend.

Pictures soon- The car is looking really good with both colors on t, even though the red is still splotchy.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: Radio Joe] #27602
05/08/07 02:46 PM
05/08/07 02:46 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

how can i get this color mixing rustoleum paint

could i get it mixing green and white or yellow and blue?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27603
05/08/07 04:23 PM
05/08/07 04:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'd go with white, green, and yellow. Start with a white base and add a tiny amount of green, then slightly more yellow. Then adjust it from there.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27604
05/08/07 06:37 PM
05/08/07 06:37 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is a cool color.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27605
05/08/07 09:14 PM
05/08/07 09:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/6718/p1010287pn1.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2479/p1010288dm1.jpg

Thats coat #1, I should have thinned it a TINY bit more bit its good enough... I plain to hit it with another coat tomorrow and wetsand it... looks pretty good as is though.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27606
05/09/07 12:02 AM
05/09/07 12:02 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just a couple pics of my progress. Light is not the best (plus its dark) and I have a lot of buffing and polishing (and probably more wetsanding) to go, but I think it looks okay so far. Hopefully will finish up this week and the weather will cooperate for some decent shots this weekend.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27607
05/09/07 02:34 AM
05/09/07 02:34 AM
San Bernardino Mountains Ca.
T
trikar Offline
trikar  Offline
T

Here is my 1973 Ranchero Squire with Factory 351 Cobra Jet. Body is painted with a Mix of 2 parts Rustolium Gloss Hunter Green two parts Mineral spirits and one part Rustolium Gloss black.
The wood grain is a base of Rustolium Summer Squash bushed over with Minwax Poly stain. When I got the car all of the trim was painted blue.
Here is what it looked like before.

after

I would like to thank everyone here for all the detailed information that allowed me to do this.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27608
05/09/07 07:34 AM
05/09/07 07:34 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Is the Tremclad oil or water based? I see Rust-Oleum has a water base. I think Tremclad is a Canadaian product.

Thanks.

Got a lot of the VW Thing/Safari disassembled and had some welding done on the fenders. Pretty nice when it comes apart easily. I'm cheating a little right now and let a body shop finish and prime the two fenders and hood, but for about US$112, it's not worth my time.

My real problem is finding the Rust-Oleum in quarts. My Home Depot in Guadalajara has only the spray cans so I'm going to see if I can special order it tomorrow. I won't get get near the US$50 cost range because everything imported into Mexico costs much more then in the U.S. (other than labor).

I will try to take and post some pics as I progress. One nice thing is that I can get someone here to do the grunt work (elbow grease) here for US$2.30 per hour.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: Radio Joe] #27609
05/09/07 09:51 AM
05/09/07 09:51 AM
Laurens, SC
R
Radio Joe Offline
Radio Joe  Offline
R

Laurens, SC
here is a couple pics of the car with 2 colors on it... the red is still kind of splotchy. This is 4 coats of red, I will wetsand it now and then move on to more coats. Im getting excited to get it done!

3489912-newred.jpg (655 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: Radio Joe] #27610
05/09/07 09:52 AM
05/09/07 09:52 AM
Laurens, SC
R
Radio Joe Offline
Radio Joe  Offline
R

Laurens, SC
oops- only one attachment per post- here is the second pic.

3489917-newred2.jpg (616 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: Radio Joe] #27611
05/09/07 11:01 AM
05/09/07 11:01 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey Radio, TeHMike, and Big BS, those cars are looking great and the pics couldn't be more timely for me since I'm doing black on my car next month.I'm still playing with my test piece right now, Just put coats 4 and 5 on after a 600 grit wetsand, I think I'll put on one more coat before my 800 wetsand since I burned through a couple of spots with the 600. I'm sure most here would be bored with more pics of my Mower part so I'll wait and post a finished pic when its all done, I think after 8 coats. I recieved my Poorboys SSR2.5, SSR1, and EX-P via FedEx yesterday so as soon as i've got the painting done I'll polish her out and attach some pics. Keep on Rollin'!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: Radio Joe] #27612
05/09/07 01:00 PM
05/09/07 01:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Joe, That looks awesome.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: trikar] #27613
05/09/07 01:04 PM
05/09/07 01:04 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Here is my 1973 Ranchero Squire with Factory 351 Cobra Jet. Body is painted with a Mix of 2 parts Rustolium Gloss Hunter Green two parts Mineral spirits and one part Rustolium Gloss black.
The wood grain is a base of Rustolium Summer Squash bushed over with Minwax Poly stain. When I got the car all of the trim was painted blue.
Here is what it looked like before.

Awesome job and quite the extreme makeover compared to the original paint.

In particular I was very interested in your use of Minwax Poly Stain. There are some magnificent dark cherry and mahogany colors available from MinWax and its nice to see how you were able to get a respectable wood grain effect on your car with it.

So naturally this leads to some totally new questions about your experience using the MinWax...

a ) did you cut the MinWax or use it straight from the can ? If you cut it ... with what ?

b ) how many coats of the MinWax did you use ?

c ) did you wet sand the MinWax during its application or use the ulta-fine steel wool that MinWax recommends ?

d ) did the final version of your Minwx layer come out glossy or were their surface imperfections ?

The reason I ask is that my wife once did two chest of drawers and an armoire using the dark cherry wood MinWax and it was fabulous. But she was steelwooling each layer ( coating ) to maximize the smoothness and gloss. Just wondering if you took your application that far.

Kudos it looks great.

Last edited by Marq; 05/09/07 01:05 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27614
05/09/07 04:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Hey Radio, TeHMike, and Big BS, those cars are looking great

I agree with Probe-ation Great job guys!
Talosian, I'd like to second Marq's suggestion regarding spraying your VW Thing. I tried the all-roller route with my first bug and ended up spending more time than I wanted to sanding away runs. Those sharp and irregular edges are a real bear. If we had Charger's skills and experience we could probably go the all-roller route, but for a first timer, I'd at least first hit as much of the edges and irregular areas as you can with spray. That's how I did my current bug.

Trikar that is one SWEEEEETTTT lookin' Ranchero! Could you go more into detail as to how you did that wood grain effect? (Show some closeups too!)

And finally, Radio Joe, for some strange reason, I really like your color combo! (see attachment) Great job all of you!!

3490654-CORONADO6.jpg (461 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #27615

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm amazed at how good mine hood is looking after 2 coats and its not even wetsanded yet...

Before ANY WORK

2 Coats, Not Wet Sanded

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27616
05/09/07 09:30 PM
05/09/07 09:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

oh man, Im having a slight problem. When I was prepping for paint I went over my hood with 400 to prep it for paint and I did that over bare metal. I was just out side wetsanding it with 600 and where the bare metal was the paint was coming off... What should I do now?

What I'm thinking will suck but I think I need to go crazy and remove all my paint and get everything level again and scuff up the bare metal with like 120.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27617
05/10/07 01:56 AM
05/10/07 01:56 AM
T
trikar Offline
trikar  Offline
T

Quote:

Trikar that is one SWEEEEETTTT lookin' Ranchero! Could you go more into detail as to how you did that wood grain effect? (Show some closeups too!)

The outer trim was painted blue when I got the car, so if you have painted squire trim and think that you need to replace it to make the trim look like wood again, well you don't, you can easily make it look like stock again, which is what I did at first and it was so easy to do that I decided to do the trim how I thought it should look and if I did not like it I could always change it back to a stock looking wood finish. I first painted the entire body of the car with the Dark Green that I created by mixing 2 parts Rustolium Gloss Hunter Green, 2 parts mineral spirits, and one part Rustolium gloss black which was applied with a 4 inch roller. I then painted the inset area where the vinyl wood grain use to be, with Rustolium Summer Squash yellow. It is a light yellow color.
next I applied Minwax Polyshade Old Maple gloss with a nylon bristle bush. doing one panel at a time. Don't buy the cheap nylon brushes, they shed way too much when applying stain! I then did the trim in much the same way as the body grain, I applied the Summer Squash first and then I brushed on Minwax polyshade Bombay Mahogany gloss. All the trim was painted and stained while removed from the car and then re installed after all painting and staining was completed. I'm sorry the pictures are not any better. My good camera is not working so I bought a $10.00 digital from Rite-Aid drug store just so I could at least have some pictures until I get my other camera working again. Every time I tried to get a good close up of the grain the pictures just would not show it. I think the car looks much better than what shows in these pictures. Everything I did paintwise to this Ranchero I learned from this thread, which I have been following since it was only three pages. The only other thing I painted using this technique before painting the Squire was a shell to another Ranchero of mine that I did as a tester. There is also a very good link for Squire trim restoration that I obtained from this thread and used.
http://www.rickwrench.com/wood.html
Thank you everyone that contributes to this thread, you have been a great source of information for me!

Page 158 of 159 1 2 156 157 158 159