Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2445592 - 02/03/18 09:53 AM Re: We Need More Old Guys [Re: parksr5]
fourgearsavoy Offline

Loc: Rittman Ohio
I don't know where you live in Ohio but whenever I need something built right,on time,and on budget I contact the Amish crews in Holmes county.
Had my roof,windows, and barn built by them and every thing was done right and on time twocents

Gus beer
Dana 60

#2445618 - 02/03/18 10:53 AM Re: We Need More Old Guys [Re: fourgearsavoy]
bboogieart Offline
master

Loc: Lost and Spaced
I have been seeing this issue for years and it's getting worse.
First, a "good" contractor has always been a little tough to find.
They were always there, but so were the sleaze bags.
You had to know who was what.
Second, The older guys are retiring.
Third, The majority of younger folks just don't seem willing to actually work. Tell 'em to put the phone away and your being abusive.
I have no idea why. shruggy

#2445663 - 02/03/18 12:08 PM Re: We Need More Old Guys [Re: parksr5]
Supercuda Offline
I Live Here

Loc: up yours
Back when I used to run a wind farm I had a pup that would not put his phone away. Finally had to take it from him and leave it in the truck down turbine. Then he sat around moping without his phone.

Got rid of him.

#2453297 - 02/17/18 10:12 PM Re: We Need More Old Guys [Re: parksr5]
parksr5 Offline
mopar

Loc: Oh
Met with the contractor today to go over the specifics. We've both talked to the local building/zoning office which is where the next hurdle will be. Some of the code/what they're telling us is clear as mud.

He's been laid up since January recovering from surgery so; I drove up to his place about 45 minutes away. We spoke for about 2.5 hours; half was just shooting the breeze and talking about cars and ext. I'm sure with being house bound for so long, he probably welcomed company.

He and his engineer are going to draw up the plans and the next step is me going to the building/zoning office to get approval and then onto the city and council to get variances approved. I'm within city limits so; I'll have to deal with some code issues. My existing building is already too big for the code and is not up to code regarding the proximity to the existing side lot line. Since I'm trying to add onto the existing building, I need to get variances approved to modify the existing building and for the size. The new addition will be offset another 4 inches to meet the current code regarding the proximity to the side lot line.

If they do not approve it, the code will allow me to build a second building that can be 20x24 which will require no variances or the city council's involvement. I feel that aesthetically, one building will look nicer than two so; I feel that my ask will be approved. If we have to go the second building route, I'll build the new building 1ft away from the existing building and I'll put a role up door on the back off the existing building and a role up door on the new building and I'll simply have to drive through the existing building to get to the second one. If this is what I have to do, I think in the future, they're probably be some unexplainable tectonic plate movement and the two buildings will weirdly just collide and become one unexplainably.

#2453401 - 02/18/18 09:02 AM Re: We Need More Old Guys [Re: skicker]
Rug_Trucker Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Not2farfromNashville, TN
Originally Posted By skicker
Ditto...Mine is wood stick built over masonry foundation...I managed to learn a few of the "what not to do's"...
I used a couple local subs with decent results on the aspects that were too big for one person to tackle...Found I'm better off doing everything I could do myself...myself.
I takes a little longer...but it also spreads the money out over a longer time frame which in the end makes it easier to pay for.
Best part is there is no GC Mark-up...
The money I saved allowed me to buy a better grade of window's...doors...garage door...siding...everything...

The whole key is to forget everything else you have to do and jump in and just do it... twocents

In the end I just hope the he11 its worth it...
Made it this far so far...no interior finishes...wiring or insulation yet...

Radiant heat? I am wanting to do a steel home or pole barn house. I am thinking a stem wall, fill the inside and do a slab with radiant heat. Did you design your own system?

Edited by Rug_Trucker (02/18/18 09:03 AM)

"NUNQUAM NON PARATUS!"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,535 Registered Members
32 Forums
194,063 Topics
2,266,872 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
The Sh!t Box of Doom! Hemi Edition....
by Dragula
10/20/18 06:33 PM
833 ident
by cdstl
10/20/18 06:31 PM
What's V21 look like on 1971 Challengers?
by MONC
10/20/18 06:23 PM
70 cuda gascap
by FC7 cuda
10/20/18 04:37 PM