Print Thread
Learn Autobody & Paint course Tony Bandalos worth it? #1655258
08/05/14 12:10 PM
08/05/14 12:10 PM
Parsippany, New Jersey
340challconvert Offline OP
340challconvert  Offline OP

Parsippany, New Jersey
Has anybody ordered the Learn Auto Body & Paint Online Membership Home Study? The creator, Tony Bandalos has videos, ads and Utube testimonials all over the place. Prices for his system range from 99 to 199 dollars. Does this program have any merit? He has what he calls VIP Membership. I would like to have a systamatic tool to learn some techniques. Is this a scam? Is it worth the money for the information?

Feedback appreciated.

340challconvert

Has anybody ordered the
multiple choice, up to 2 choices
Votes accepted starting: 08/05/14 10:07 AM

1970 A-66 340 Challenger convertible
Re: Learn Autobody & Paint course Tony Bandalos worth it? [Re: 340challconvert] #1655259
08/05/14 01:25 PM
08/05/14 01:25 PM
Horsham, Pa.
Finoke Offline
master
Finoke  Offline
master

Horsham, Pa.
I'm not sure but Eastwood auto body has a utube site with lots of instructional videos from their paint guru Kevin Tetz.

I think Kevin also sells instructional videos too. I like his method.

Re: Learn Autobody & Paint course Tony Bandalos worth it? [Re: Finoke] #1655260
08/05/14 03:27 PM
08/05/14 03:27 PM
South Dakota
hotairballoonpilot Offline
master
hotairballoonpilot  Offline
master

South Dakota
Who? Personally I spent 2 years on high school learning the trade only to go on to Vo tech to relearn what the instructor in HS taught us. Now been out of Vo tech since 1994 and have taught my self more with experience. You will only learn so much from that. I'd go to a junk yard ask if they have any ruined fenders that you could practice on. Easier to mess up a junk fender than a good fender for an older car. Play around with fixing dents, mud work, priming, painting, buffing.

Contact Me about AMD Prices
Re: Learn Autobody & Paint course Tony Bandalos worth it? [Re: hotairballoonpilot] #1655261
08/05/14 06:25 PM
08/05/14 06:25 PM
Ridgeland Wi
M
mopars_1 Offline
master
mopars_1  Offline
master
M

Ridgeland Wi
Quote:

Who? Personally I spent 2 years on high school learning the trade only to go on to Vo tech to relearn what the instructor in HS taught us. Now been out of Vo tech since 1994 and have taught my self more with experience. You will only learn so much from that. I'd go to a junk yard ask if they have any ruined fenders that you could practice on. Easier to mess up a junk fender than a good fender for an older car. Play around with fixing dents, mud work, priming, painting, buffing.

Ill second this

1971 Plymouth Duster 340 auto
1937 Plymouth PT50
1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 4 speed
2013 Ram laramie 2500 hemi
2008 Harley FLSTSB springer
Re: Learn Autobody & Paint course Tony Bandalos worth it? [Re: 340challconvert] #1655262
08/08/14 01:14 AM
08/08/14 01:14 AM
Parsippany, New Jersey

Parsippany, New Jersey
Thank you for your thoughts on this.
My mechanical skills are stronger then my body work and fabrication skills. I need to improve in the body work area. I started looking at the Kevin Tetz (Eastwood videos) and Pete (with the graphic language) on DYI autoschool videos on Utube Even though it is piece meal information, it gives me some basic techniques. Best way to learn seems to be to just start practicing. I just wanted to get some pointers first. Most of the work I need to do is body dings and one section of the quarter panel that was very poorly repaired by a "friend" back in the 80's. I will need to spot weld two lower quarter panel patches at the bottoms of each panel and finish up with putty/block sanding. I am going to tackle the quarter panel first. Should be fun.
As a side bar note. here is the link for this guy Tony Bandalos who I am not yet sure is worth a look?

http://vip-offer.learnautobodyandpaint.com/

340challconvert

Re: Learn Autobody & Paint course Tony Bandalos worth it? [Re: 340challconvert] #1655263
08/08/14 01:22 AM
08/08/14 01:22 AM
USA
H
hudsonhornet7x Offline
pro stock
hudsonhornet7x  Offline
pro stock
H

USA
Quote:

Thank you for your thoughts on this.
My mechanical skills are stronger then my body work and fabrication skills. I need to improve in the body work area. I started looking at the Kevin Tetz (Eastwood videos) and Pete (with the graphic language) on DYI autoschool videos on Utube Even though it is piece meal information, it gives me some basic techniques. Best way to learn seems to be to just start practicing. I just wanted to get some pointers first. Most of the work I need to do is body dings and one section of the quarter panel that was very poorly repaired by a "friend" back in the 80's. I will need to spot weld two lower quarter panel patches at the bottoms of each panel and finish up with putty/block sanding. I am going to tackle the quarter panel first. Should be fun.
As a side bar note. here is the link for this guy Tony Bandalos who I am not yet sure is worth a look?

http://vip-offer.learnautobodyandpaint.com/

340challconvert

I can't speak about Tom V, but I can tell you Kevin Tetz's videos are very, very good. He is a buddy of mine and I use his videos at the Venango Technology Center where I teach autobody. I have also seen that Pete on youtube and I can't watch his videos at all. The guy is such a jerk!

Any questions please let me know, I would be happy to help!

Re: Learn Autobody & Paint course Tony Bandalos worth it? [Re: hudsonhornet7x] #1655264
08/08/14 01:36 AM
08/08/14 01:36 AM
USA
H
hudsonhornet7x Offline
pro stock
hudsonhornet7x  Offline
pro stock
H

USA
Okay, I just watched that guys video on his website- I have to be honest I think you would be throwing your money away on it.

I was done when he said that he would show you how to spray lacquer primer. Maybe good for spraying Fred Flinstone's car, but not for anything made this century! That and the paint job that was infested with termites? WTH??

I would say Run!!!

Re: Learn Autobody & Paint course Tony Bandalos worth it? [Re: hudsonhornet7x] #1655265
08/17/14 04:57 PM
08/17/14 04:57 PM
KY
Telvis Offline
mopar
Telvis  Offline
mopar

KY
I used the Kevin Tetz Paintucation videos and learned a lot. I have also learned from some Utube videos too. One of the best things I ever did was befriend the folks at my local PPG paint shop. They helped me learn about the various primers, sealers, base coats and clears. They also helped me understand the processes and some good shortcuts to make life easier. A lot of the stores give classes to body shop guys and have someone designated as an instructor. I know the PPG store I go to has that. They even has a small paint booth for training. If you can get on their good side you can even get a bit of one on one spraying training. I'm not a trained body guy but I can paint as good as anyone, especially after wet sand and buff I say any video or other training program is going to help. Once you learn the basic principles practice and following all steps to the letter. That is going to yield the best results. In my experience lack of patience and not following all the steps is the downfall of most home paint and body jobs. It's not technically all that hard but it does take a LOT of time and work to make it right. It's not a quick process by any stretch.

That's King Weenie to you!
Re: Learn Autobody & Paint course Tony Bandalos worth it? [Re: Telvis] #1655266
08/17/14 05:22 PM
08/17/14 05:22 PM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
I consider myself a rank amateur.
I've been around shops, done some minor stuff and then went into community college for a few semesters. I've only shot a couple pedal cars and my van fully, and done some other partial shooting (primed a car Friday).

1. There are a ton of resources for this online.
2. Get to know a local paint jobber and learn about the systems they carry. This means hopefully the guy behind the counter actively sprays and is not just a product jockey. Grab some mfgr flyers and the MSDS for the products.
3. You will get conflicting info, sometimes from the same source. There are many rules that have the exception that proves the point. The rules that most will agree with are:

Prep is 90+% of the job.
Everyone digs the part when you fire up that fresh engine, but the 30 minute break-in is preceded by many hours of careful measurement, machining, fitting, cleaning, refitting, torquing, adjusting.

The difference between a good painter and a great painter is how they deal with the inevitable issues that do happen.
Clean tools, clean surface, clean product, clean area.
Any 2-part paint or primer will kill you without a respirator.
A solid single stage color is much better to start out with instead of a metallic 2 stage or candies/flakes.

After that, there are a lot of different paths to achieve the final result.

Re: Learn Autobody & Paint course Tony Bandalos worth it? [Re: RodStRace] #1655267
08/26/14 10:44 AM
08/26/14 10:44 AM
Parsippany, New Jersey

Parsippany, New Jersey
I thank everyone for their advice. Some good ideas, especially hooking up with a good paint shop and making sure that the proper steps are followed with no "rushing" the process. Safety is also paramount with appropriate precautions when doing this type of work. I am going to stay with the Eastwood videos. The Tony B videos remind me of "infomercials" on TV
I am actually looking forward to starting the bodywork and learning/improving my skills in this area.

340challconvert

Re: Learn Autobody & Paint course Tony Bandalos worth it? [Re: 340challconvert] #2444692
02/01/18 03:42 PM
02/01/18 03:42 PM
Virginia
D
Dufus2 Offline
Dufus2  Offline
D

Virginia
I just want to add to this forum my experience with Learn-Auto-Body-and-Paint VIP membership. 20+ years ago, I painted several cars/trucks with acrylic enamel, urethane enamel and one with Base/Clear.

A year ago, I bit the bullet and paid $100 for a lifetime VIP membership to improve my paint skills.

This is my opinion of the owner and the content:
Tony wants to be a Blogger and claims this is an amazing DIY autobody training course. The videos really do not teach much as a how-to but focus on short clips of doing some work and admiring the finished product from someone with good experience.

I get a lot of email from this guy selling his spray guns and some other ways to make money online, the latest is bitcoin. I get the feeling this guy does not want to work but just sell his membership as easy money from member dues and internet ads.

If you get on his live Google Hangouts, Tony frowns upon anyone who has experience because he wants to teach newbies how to work on cars or people who have money to spend. Tony just announced he is trying to buy a house just short of 2 million; once again he is not earning the money for a lavish lifestyle.

Youtube has some good people who teach certain steps: The-Gunman, DIY-Auto-School, and a few others have shown me more than LABAP from their free manual and the exclusive videos in their VIP membership.

Save your money and check out Eastwood (Kevin Tatz) and the advise on this thread of practicing on junk pieces to get the process down before working on your project car.

Re: Learn Autobody & Paint course Tony Bandalos worth it? [Re: hudsonhornet7x] #2445003
02/02/18 01:32 AM
02/02/18 01:32 AM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Quote:
can't speak about Tom V, but I can tell you Kevin Tetz's videos are very, very good. He is a buddy of mine and I use his videos at the Venango Technology Center where I teach autobody. I have also seen that Pete on youtube and I can't watch his videos at all. The guy is such a jerk!

Any questions please let me know, I would be happy to help!

To me Kevin Tetz is the best!!!!! Please say THANKS to him for me as his videos have been one of the best, most helpful learning videos I've ever watched! I also want to say thanks to Eastwood and especially the CLE Parma store for their help and customer service. I just finished my '85 E350 van and watched and re-watched Kevin's videos as I worked along...the final prep info that Kevin shares was priceless. This is my '85 E350 with close to 400,000 miles that I've owned since new, 33 years. Kevin and Eastwood up up (and I have yet to sand and buff it....waiting till spring wink

Also did our 2001 Chrysler T&C from replacing the rockers to patching in repair panels and 30% repaint including the hood and some rust repair, again with the Kevin Tetz / Eastwood videos. Best informational videos out there and that's why I'm a steady customer hoping to repay them. Good job KT/EW!!

MikeR

E350 00001.jpgE350 00003.jpgE350 00002.jpg20160927_182103rs.jpg
Last edited by A12; 02/02/18 01:33 AM.
Re: Learn Autobody & Paint course Tony Bandalos worth it? [Re: 340challconvert] #2445513
02/03/18 05:37 AM
02/03/18 05:37 AM
CO
I
ihv800 Offline
ihv800  Offline
I

CO
You might go talk to some of the local paint suppliers. I have a 3 ring binder from Martin Senour that has all their technical data sheets for the paint and primer lines I usually spray. It lists all the standard things like mix ratios and recommended gun pressures; but also how to prep the surface your applying that product over. Might help you kind of learn the sequence of preparation and what products go over what.

Re: Learn Autobody & Paint course Tony Bandalos worth it? [Re: 340challconvert] #2445576
02/03/18 12:23 PM
02/03/18 12:23 PM
Lost in Time
Iowan Offline
super stock
Iowan  Offline
super stock

Lost in Time
All you people doing paint work should pay attention to the MASDS sheets for the product your using. Head the warning "may cause nerve damage", I have Peripheral neuropathy from exposure to the neurotoxins in paint and other chemicals that are in the shop. I have delt with it for about fifteen years and finally went on disability two years ago. I have pain bellow my knees in feet ankle and legged. It took twenty years before I noticed symptoms but have seen two guys get sick after one paint job, so be careful your working with POISON!

Last edited by Iowan; 02/03/18 12:24 PM.

Have a great day
Iowan

"obsolete is neat"

Re: Learn Autobody & Paint course Tony Bandalos worth it? [Re: Iowan] #2445662
02/03/18 03:05 PM
02/03/18 03:05 PM
KY
65pacecar Offline
master
65pacecar  Offline
master

KY
Originally Posted By Iowan
All you people doing paint work should pay attention to the MASDS sheets for the product your using. Head the warning "may cause nerve damage", I have Peripheral neuropathy from exposure to the neurotoxins in paint and other chemicals that are in the shop. I have delt with it for about fifteen years and finally went on disability two years ago. I have pain bellow my knees in feet ankle and legged. It took twenty years before I noticed symptoms but have seen two guys get sick after one paint job, so be careful your working with POISON!

It is some bad stuff to deal with. All precautions must be used and then some, It killed a guy I work with at a young age since he basically painted with just a bandanna to cover his nose and mouth. Did it for years with SS paint , the BC/CC stuff took him down fast. I’m sure both did damage but the new stuff expedited it.

Re: Learn Autobody & Paint course Tony Bandalos worth it? [Re: 65pacecar] #2445691
02/03/18 04:14 PM
02/03/18 04:14 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
I'd be surprised if any local paint suppliers would have any info on hammer and metal finish work. Collision repair shops don't do the type of metal finishing that you would want to do on an old car. They rough the shape back in and cover the whole thing with filler. If it's really messed up they just replace the panel.

I tried buying some body work tools locally a few years back and had to order the stuff online. I was told there is no demand for metal working tools so they stopped stocking them.