Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#2446814 - 02/05/18 10:23 AM Re: Who knows old Corvettes? [Re: Neil]
I_bleed_MOPAR Offline
master

Loc: North GA
Helped a friend put a clutch in his '69 427 'vette many years ago. What a PITA. wink
Not your buddys intention probably but it was definitely a chick magnet back then. boogie

biggrin biggrin biggrin

Tim

#2447716 - 02/06/18 07:55 PM Re: Who knows old Corvettes? [Re: Neil]
Pale_Roader Offline
master

Loc: the frozen wastes...
Originally Posted By Neil
I'd just buy used a Cobra replica instead. Factory Five or whatever else is out there.

A first gen Mustang coupe or Falcon would be another option as they make a ton of handling upgrades for those and people actually still road race them. 408 Windsor with 351 Cleveland heads and a 5 speed manual is how to do it.

Heh... up here, no one is going to daily drive a car without a roof. Personally, i love the 67-70 fastback Mustangs, almost as much as E-bodies... but for the money THOSE are pulling now, you might as well step up to the damn Corvette. They'd jumped recently too. They used to hold about even with the early E-bodies... not any more. Plus, a Vette would be faster.

And come on man... COYOTE is where its at!

#2447717 - 02/06/18 07:56 PM Re: Who knows old Corvettes? [Re: I_bleed_MOPAR]
Pale_Roader Offline
master

Originally Posted By I_bleed_MOPAR
Helped a friend put a clutch in his '69 427 'vette many years ago. What a PITA. wink
Not your buddys intention probably but it was definitely a chick magnet back then. boogie

biggrin biggrin biggrin

Tim

Pretty much any well-done classic nowadays will impress a girl (one who's going to be impressed by a car anyways). You just dont see 'em. Classic = money to most people... they are out ov reach.

#2448234 - 02/07/18 07:28 PM Re: Who knows old Corvettes? [Re: Pale_Roader]
69superbee383 Offline
master

Loc: Va. Beach, Va
Originally Posted By Pale_Roader
Originally Posted By 69superbee383
My daily driver is a 2012 Vette. It replaced my 01 z06 which my neighbor now owns. It’s up to 320 k miles now.

Hey... how did you like that '01 Z06? I'm looking to get into an '02-'04 Z06 later this year for a daily driver. I've done a ton ov research on them and i really cant find a single flaw, aside from the C5 looks. Hell, even the looks are growing on me...

I loved it except for the reason you just stated. Everyone skips the 01 for the 02-04 due to the extra HP and the 01 got the rep as an oil burner though I never saw it.

The car was fast, light, handled great was easy to work on for the most part and parts were not expensive if you go to the online vendors. I loved the fixed roof of the z06. Some don’t.

Oh and getting close to 30 mpg and fairly cheap insurance doesn’t hurt. You can still find garage queens for under 25k and drivers for under 20k.

I say go for it. They are great cars for the price

Oh almost forgot. One pain was the column lock. Some were removed and some bypassed. They were problematic and GM never really fixed it. Just make sure whatever you look at has been removed or bypassed if not plan to do it. Not expensive to do.

Edited by 69superbee383 (02/07/18 07:31 PM)

#2448373 - 02/08/18 06:11 AM Re: Who knows old Corvettes? [Re: 69superbee383]
Pale_Roader Offline
master

My daily driver is a 2012 Vette. It replaced my 01 z06 which my neighbor now owns. It’s up to 320 k miles now.

Hey... how did you like that '01 Z06? I'm looking to get into an '02-'04 Z06 later this year for a daily driver. I've done a ton ov research on them and i really cant find a single flaw, aside from the C5 looks. Hell, even the looks are growing on me...

I loved it except for the reason you just stated. Everyone skips the 01 for the 02-04 due to the extra HP and the 01 got the rep as an oil burner though I never saw it.

The car was fast, light, handled great was easy to work on for the most part and parts were not expensive if you go to the online vendors. I loved the fixed roof of the z06. Some don’t.

Oh and getting close to 30 mpg and fairly cheap insurance doesn’t hurt. You can still find garage queens for under 25k and drivers for under 20k.

I say go for it. They are great cars for the price

Oh almost forgot. One pain was the column lock. Some were removed and some bypassed. They were problematic and GM never really fixed it. Just make sure whatever you look at has been removed or bypassed if not plan to do it. Not expensive to do.

The looks are growing on me. I like the look ov the fastback roof better, but not the idea ov no roof. I also like the openness ov the fastback roof.. looks easier to get stuff in and out (which is important for me too). The FRC/Z06 were apparently a lot stiffer too, not to mention its never gonna leak. The MPG suffered just a tad (about 1mpg) with the hardtop though, top speed as well... though no ones gonna gripe about 'only' being able to go 170... haha. MPG matters to me, but not as much as safety and performance. Z06 it is.

Being a Chevy, parts can be found used, and hearing they're easy to work on is nice too, though i'll likely pay someone. Still cheaper than paying someone to work on something thats a pain in the a$$. I also like that you can jam a LOT ov tire in the wells without modification. Sounds like its all win.

I've seen decent drivers well under 15K US. Seen some nice salvage titles (nothing structural) around 10-11K. Thats a LOT ov speed for the money!

#2448435 - 02/08/18 09:16 AM Re: Who knows old Corvettes? [Re: Pale_Roader]
p d'ro Offline
pro stock

Loc: MD
Here is a pic of my 67 I sold a few years back. Hard to get a look at the bird cage with kick panels in, but get under with a flashlight and give it a look. Mine was mint. Entire front end was glassed in but was done professionally so I was ok with it. Must have had a bad crash. Look for rough fiberglass work around cowl and down. Also feel under fender lips for cut fiberglass and for original seams. Check frame well for cover up (poke around if heavy paint or undercoat).
These cars handle great with stock suspension and I loved the 4 wheel independent and calipers all around. With upgrades they are super. Prior owner made original motor a solid lifter screamer and it was sweet. Just didn't drive it after I had a child.
If building for parking lot racing, I would chose a C3 as lower buy in price. Too bad they have the vacuum headlights (mine were electric). Motors a [censored] to swap out if you don't have toothpick arms.

Attachments
Corvette and Coronet - Copy (002).jpg

#2448765 - 02/08/18 07:46 PM Re: Who knows old Corvettes? [Re: p d'ro]
Pale_Roader Offline
master

Originally Posted By p d'ro
Here is a pic of my 67 I sold a few years back. Hard to get a look at the bird cage with kick panels in, but get under with a flashlight and give it a look. Mine was mint. Entire front end was glassed in but was done professionally so I was ok with it. Must have had a bad crash. Look for rough fiberglass work around cowl and down. Also feel under fender lips for cut fiberglass and for original seams. Check frame well for cover up (poke around if heavy paint or undercoat).
These cars handle great with stock suspension and I loved the 4 wheel independent and calipers all around. With upgrades they are super. Prior owner made original motor a solid lifter screamer and it was sweet. Just didn't drive it after I had a child.
If building for parking lot racing, I would chose a C3 as lower buy in price. Too bad they have the vacuum headlights (mine were electric). Motors a [censored] to swap out if you don't have toothpick arms.

Interesting. Its a bit hard for me to picture, as i've never crawled around one, or even looked close. I would never dream ov structural stuff in FG in a Challenger lets say, but these cars are ALL FG, and well... they seem to age decently. Wish i had access to one to crawl over.

There is a very famous 65 out there (red, black bumpers) that is a very successful autocrosser, and he says its all stock or stock derivative suspension under his. He does well, so its gotta be decent. A great starting point anyways. Just wish the C2's weren't so spendy to get into...

#2449094 - 02/09/18 11:14 AM Re: Who knows old Corvettes? [Re: Pale_Roader]
p d'ro Offline
pro stock

Loc: MD

Interesting. Its a bit hard for me to picture, as i've never crawled around one, or even looked close. I would never dream ov structural stuff in FG in a Challenger lets say, but these cars are ALL FG, and well... they seem to age decently. Wish i had access to one to crawl over.

There is a very famous 65 out there (red, black bumpers) that is a very successful autocrosser, and he says its all stock or stock derivative suspension under his. He does well, so its gotta be decent. A great starting point anyways. Just wish the C2's weren't so spendy to get into...

With the stock suspension there is no hint of wheel hop or even strain. It just slides smoothly, grabs and takes off. With short wheel base can get squirrely.
Having no rust is awesome. The problem with high HP cars that are run hard is that they crack at the top of the wheel well. Really just cosmetic.
You should be able to get a project affordably. I sold mine for 28k in 2013, It needed an exterior cosmetic resto but mechanically everything had been redone and had zero rust. Again, had different front end glued on it, but had been inspected and was done professionally.

#2449410 - 02/10/18 01:49 AM Re: Who knows old Corvettes? [Re: p d'ro]
Pale_Roader Offline
master

With the stock suspension there is no hint of wheel hop or even strain. It just slides smoothly, grabs and takes off. With short wheel base can get squirrely.
Having no rust is awesome. The problem with high HP cars that are run hard is that they crack at the top of the wheel well. Really just cosmetic.
You should be able to get a project affordably. I sold mine for 28k in 2013, It needed an exterior cosmetic resto but mechanically everything had been redone and had zero rust. Again, had different front end glued on it, but had been inspected and was done professionally.

Heh... now I'M getting interested... I've always thought ov my end-goal hotrod being a 70 T/A Challenger, or a 71 Cuda... full road race in Big Red style... but i have ALWAYS loved those C2 coupes. Funny how their not that much lighter than an E-body. Where's all that weight?

I think if i was personally in the market to build a road race DD in own ov these, i'd want to buy someone's restoration, and modify it from there. Always easier to build a driving car, and there is no downtime. Plus, you have the fun ov seeing what it can do stock, and then modifying it as you go like you would a brand new car. By the time you got to something serious, you'd know your car pretty well. Runners seem to start at 35K though, and thats rare. Maybe buy a 427 runner and sell off the powertrain and other rare stock items to make back the difference? BIG money in those stock big block parts. I mean, if you're going LS/6-speed/aftermarket stuff anyways...

#2449609 - 02/10/18 02:07 PM Re: Who knows old Corvettes? [Re: Pale_Roader]
RoadRunnerLuva Offline
top fuel

Loc: Inside the 989...
The only Corvette I was ever around was my buddy's '72 vette.
He BADLY wanted a chrome bumper vette of 68'-'72 vintage. He eneded up
buying a '72 350 4 speed..IIRC it was an original "War Bonnet Yellow"
colored car, which was actually gold IMO... work
He wanted a bright yellow vette real bad, because he loved the yellow
'57 Chevy from the "Hollywood Knights" movie (PHR project X car)...
so I helped him do the bodywork on his vette, before another friend of his painted it bright canary yellow..turned out looking real nice in the end.
This was all in the early 90's... about 25 years ago. I remember riding in the vette, the car rattled really bad, all the time. He had T-tops on it, it wasn't so bad when those were removed. The car looked nice with the yellow paint, and all the chrome, but..I was/am a Mopar guy, and really
never got into the vette thing. To each his/her own..good luck with your friends quest. twocents

1973 Dodge Charger SE Brougham...400 ci Magnum Big Block
1972 Plymouth Duster...418 ci Stroker Small Block

#2450760 - 02/12/18 02:29 PM Re: Who knows old Corvettes? [Re: Pale_Roader]
ragtopdodge Offline
master

Loc: Seattle
I've only ridden in a 78 Pace Car. Car bounced and rode awful.

I'm sure there are fixes for that like better leaf springs/shocks.
1971 BMW 2800CS
1999 Rover Mini 40th anniv with 1.6 VTEC

#2450765 - 02/12/18 02:39 PM Re: Who knows old Corvettes? [Re: ragtopdodge]
Neil Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Eagle, Idaho
Restored Corvettes are everywhere here. All the low hanging fruit ones have been gone thru and the Craigslist projects still left for sale are serious projects that have been in bad wrecks, non matching drivetrains, etc.

#2451443 - 02/13/18 08:14 PM Re: Who knows old Corvettes? [Re: Neil]
Pale_Roader Offline
master

Originally Posted By Neil
Restored Corvettes are everywhere here. All the low hanging fruit ones have been gone thru and the Craigslist projects still left for sale are serious projects that have been in bad wrecks, non matching drivetrains, etc.

I just saw someone on Ebay selling a pair ov used heads for $4000, and a set ov used wheels for $12K. Jesus... whats a full engine/4-speed worth? Maybe i'd just buy a restored 427 car and make 20K back from the purchase by selling all that rare stuff i'm not gonna use. Pure blasphemy!!! Hahahaha.

Hmmm... . . .

#2451446 - 02/13/18 08:16 PM Re: Who knows old Corvettes? [Re: Pale_Roader]
ragtopdodge Offline
master

Loc: Seattle
of, not "ov"
1971 BMW 2800CS
1999 Rover Mini 40th anniv with 1.6 VTEC

#2451595 - 02/14/18 07:35 AM Re: Who knows old Corvettes? [Re: Pale_Roader]
RapidusMaximus Offline
top fuel

Loc: Haslet, Texas
Wow, this has been an enlightening thread, I am a die hard Mopar guy but I always thought I might like having 2 non Mopar cars, a 65-67 fast back Mustang and a C3 Vette, I rode in a L88 4 speed C3 back in the 80's and while it was rattling and squeaking and finicky...it hauled a$$ drive and I have wanted one ever since...but this thread has made me realize I would have no freaking idea what I was looking at/for...I probably would have bought somebody's headache. Now if I find one I'll make sure I recruit an expert...cause I still want one laugh2 up
1975 Jeep CJ5
2016 Dodge Ram Hemi 1500

#2451703 - 02/14/18 01:15 PM Re: Who knows old Corvettes? [Re: RapidusMaximus]
second 70 Offline

Loc: central il.
A few things about these cars. With the bodies off they are the same car basically from 63 to 82. A few changes like from drum to disc brakes. So all will have the same rust problems. The big block cars got heaver front coil springs. ALL T tops leaked and rattled so check for water damage. The console vacuum heater ac controls are a pain. The 68 thru 72 had true hide away wipers with a hinged door that worked on vacuum and can be a problem. There's a bypass under the steering wheel to open them and the headlights manually as well as a knob to leave the wipers up for when it snows. Also good way to check for vacuum leaks. 68 to 72 also had a removable rear window which is great with the tops off in hot weather. Avoid 68 more problems than others and only one with double door button.
So check frame,brakes,windshield pillar,trailing arms @ bushings,Half shafts,struts (often bent due to adjusters being frozen and alignment shop bending then to set toe) heater/ac to make sure it opens the proper vent,defroster,heater. Head lights,Electrical,paint,fiberglass repairs.

Long story short easy to buy one that has nice paint but needs $10,000 mechanical work or one that has mechanical work done but needs $10,000 paint job.

Good luck Mike

#2452062 - 02/15/18 08:16 AM Re: Who knows old Corvettes? [Re: Pale_Roader]
Pale_Roader Offline
master

Were the suspensions different from model to model? Ie: you mention BB got bigger coils, anything else? Just big blocks? Any point in looking for a particular model if you want to road race? etc. Are the C2/C3's the same to the point where you could upgrade a 63 suspension/brakes with say, 82 stuff?

Vacuum huh? Ugh. I think if i had one, i'd be retrofitting and modifying a lot ov things...

Did ANY ov the 68-72 C3's come with a full roof? I dont think i've ever seen anything except T-tops or rags.

And maybe a stupid question, but how do these things fare in rollovers? That birdcage makes even my E-body roof look stout. How about other non-obvious every day things, like, can you sit on the fenders? on the doorsills, like say in a steel car? I have no idea about this stuff...

#2452134 - 02/15/18 11:38 AM Re: Who knows old Corvettes? [Re: Pale_Roader]
second 70 Offline

Loc: central il.
Same suspensions just different coil springs on big blocks for the added weight. There were a few zo6 racing suspensions but a factory car with it is high $. Yes you can upgrade a 63 to disc brakes otherwise the suspension parts are the same.65 to 82 brakes are the same. The half shafts attachments on the diff are different on the 81,82 but it's not a performance improvement.
No full roofs Yes the fenders and door sills are strong enough to sit on.
In a roll over the fiberglass is usually destroyed but the frame holds up well.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Forum Stats
25,147 Registered Members
32 Forums
186,726 Topics
2,172,570 Posts

Most users ever online: 882 @ 03/05/17 10:15 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Any Carter AVS Gurus in here??
by SSDart
4 minutes 24 seconds ago
So had this happen...
by rrbrucea
45 minutes 59 seconds ago
RTE Tachometer Calibrator/Exerciser
by rarefish
Today at 06:25 PM
Has anyone bracket raced a 8 speed hemi ram succesfully?
by W289
Today at 06:05 PM