Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Having the common tranny issues with 46re, need guidance [Re: Adam71Charger] #2436088
01/17/18 01:21 AM
01/17/18 01:21 AM
Michigan
A
A727Tflite Offline
master
A727Tflite  Offline
master
A

Michigan
These may help. My memory is worse than I thought - the power up pin is not the center pin. First thing to do is make sure you have power in to the trans and a good ground. If power is low something is dragging it down - or a bad ground ?

IMG_0003.JPGIMG_0004.JPGIMG_0005.JPG
Last edited by Transman; 01/17/18 01:23 AM.
Re: Having the common tranny issues with 46re, need guidance [Re: Adam71Charger] #2436731
01/18/18 07:02 AM
01/18/18 07:02 AM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
Originally Posted By Adam71Charger

Something that I didn’t even think to mention though because it did not show up on the codes and I thought it was just a fluke, Is that the ABS and brake warning lights on the dash are always on. Once in a while they won’t be on when I turn the engine on but 95% of the time they are on.

That's your rear wheel abs sensor at the top of the diff housing. Replace it......with a Mopar one, not aftermarket junk. twocents

Adam, you need to tell us everything, is there anything else or is this it?

Get that pink wire fixed, do the abs sensor and go for a drive.

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: Having the common tranny issues with 46re, need guidance [Re: Adam71Charger] #2437540
01/19/18 04:26 PM
01/19/18 04:26 PM
S.E. Minnesota
gtsdude Offline
super stock
gtsdude  Offline
super stock

S.E. Minnesota
I had the exact thing happen on a 97 Dakota 4x4. I replaced shift solenoids, changed fluid and filter, changed speed sensors, one in trans and one on rear. I finally had enough, took it to a trans shop and within 2 hours they found a broken wire.

Re: Having the common tranny issues with 46re, need guidance [Re: Adam71Charger] #2439432
01/23/18 08:56 AM
01/23/18 08:56 AM
Tacoma, Washington USA
A
Adam71Charger Offline OP
pro stock
Adam71Charger  Offline OP
pro stock
A

Tacoma, Washington USA
Grizzly, trans man, I’ll re-outline my situation and not leave anything out this time. I bought a 2001 2WD 5.9 SLT for very cheap because it had transmission issues and CTM issue . The CTM and the transmission are separate issues.

The headlights the interior & dash lights flickered and unison about 10 to 12 minutes after the truck was started, the door locks stop working as well and the alarm would go off randomly when I would open the driver door. I did a lot of troubleshooting and researching, and my problem Turned out to be a very very common problem, all those circuits run through the ‘central timing module’ CTM (or ‘body control module’ BCM As Subaru calls it apparently). I pulled mine out of the drivers side kick panel, looked up the part number on eBay, and bought a used one for $100. Installed the new CTM and problem solved.

When you get in the Durango and turn it on, the check engine light as well as the ABS light and the brake light on the dash Illuminate immediately. From a full stop the Durango, in D, starts out gutless and weak and feels like it’s starting out in 3rd gear. It stays in 3rd and wont shift or kick down into 2nd or 1st, and doesn’t go into Overdrive either. The ‘OD Off’ button and light function normally but the button doesn’t change anything. You can move the shift lever into 2 and It feels like the transmission manually shifts into 2nd because you get a lot more power instantly. Moving the shift lever into 1 doesn’t do anything, it wouldn’t go into 1st gear ever. So basically when put into D, it went straight into what feels like 3rd Gear, and it stays there never downshifting or going into overdrive.

It threw out a variety of transmission codes as you can see from looking through my post and they weren’t always the same and sometimes changed when the battery cable was removed or when I manually erase the codes with my code reader. There were about six total codes that it would cycle through, like it could make up its mind which problems it had. . The codes were P1765 P1764 P0720 P0743 P0753 And once a random eve app purge canister code P0441.

I switched the trans relay to a known good one with no change. I bought a new battery because the original was too old anyways, no change. I noticed that the center connector on the PCM Had a pink wire that had been cut and jumped with a single wire that went across the engine bay and over to the relay/fuse box where the pink wire there had been cut and the wire attached to the jumper. I have no idea what that is for yet.

I peeled back the sheathing and tape on every wire connector on the trans and everywhere else in that area including the O2 sensors and I peeled them back as far up the side of the transmission as I could squeeze my hands. There were no Frayed or broken wires that I could find. The circular connector on the trans had snapped some plastic on the connector on the transom had. But there were no missing or bent prongs I could feel.

I ordered The governor pressure service kit for 2000 and up from Cascade transmission parts and bought plenty of new Castrol ATF+4 .I Disconnected the battery, then dropped the pan and the fluid was in great condition and there was barely any grime in the pan or on the magnet. I installed the new parts and gaskets and filled it back up with new tranny fluid and reconnected the battery. Within 10 seconds of starting the truck the check engine light came back on. Again the codes come back and sometimes if deleted it changes which codes it wants to give me but still draws from the same six codes. Actually there are two that remain on every time and those are P1765 and P0743. There was no change in drivability except now I can manually shift between all three gears .

So now I’m on the hunt for broken or shorted wires and trying to trace the wires from the transmission connector back up to the relay‘s and PCM. I am also placing my PCM as suspect Due to the pink wire being hacked, and the ABS and brake warning light that are always on which I have read are Signs of a PCM replacement that wasn’t flashed properly with the vin. I have also ordered a new TCC/OD solenoid group with harness for 2000 and up from Cascade. That may fix or help but even if it doesn’t I didn’t mind purchasing it because the Durango so cheap to begin with and it gives me a little peace of mind knowing that once I Install these parts it will pretty much rule out those components as the culprits.

Re: Having the common tranny issues with 46re, need guidance [Re: gtsdude] #2439433
01/23/18 08:57 AM
01/23/18 08:57 AM
Tacoma, Washington USA
A
Adam71Charger Offline OP
pro stock
pro stock
A

Tacoma, Washington USA
Brother I am right where you were at and I am also on the hunt for shorted or broken wires

Re: Having the common tranny issues with 46re, need guidance [Re: Adam71Charger] #2440073
01/24/18 03:44 PM
01/24/18 03:44 PM
Michigan
A
A727Tflite Offline
master
A727Tflite  Offline
master
A

Michigan
If the codes pop up with key on, engine off (before starting the engine in other words) then you have an electrical issue for sure.

My suggestion is to pull items off the main harness one at a time - key on and see if one of those items removed "fixes" your problem for the time being.

Example - pull each O2 connector (upstream and down stream - left and right if equipped) from the main harness and key on, engine off.

Try this for the ABS or RWAL sensor, etc.

When you get your new harness assembly for inside the trans you can simply connect it to the plug that enters the trans and ground the OD & lockup solenoid assembly body ( the part that bolts to the side of the valve body) making sure all your sensors are plugged in to this new harness assembly. Key on, engine off. If fixed something is bad in the old internal harness assembly. I PM'd you -

Re: Having the common tranny issues with 46re, need guidance [Re: Adam71Charger] #2446712
02/05/18 06:57 AM
02/05/18 06:57 AM
Tacoma, Washington USA
A
Adam71Charger Offline OP
pro stock
pro stock
A

Tacoma, Washington USA
I installed the new TCC sol unit. Couldn’t find any degradation of the wires but when I had my sister step on the brake after we started it to shift the trans through the gears a few times , She kept tell me it was being weird I could hear clicks from the shift lever and when she did that the truck would die down then RPM back up. I went to check it out And got in the Durango there was no light indicated on any of the gears and the OD off light was on. I went to go shift it and it was only shift in a funny way about 1 1/2 inches each way. I turned off. I think I messed up the geometry of the shift selector when I reinstalled it. I’m pretty sure wasn’t a electrical issue because the shifter felt funny and only went to certain Distance each way

Re: Having the common tranny issues with 46re, need guidance [Re: Adam71Charger] #2446985
02/05/18 06:29 PM
02/05/18 06:29 PM
Tacoma, Washington USA
A
Adam71Charger Offline OP
pro stock
pro stock
A

Tacoma, Washington USA
I know what I did. I broke the little plastic arm that the neutral safety switch rides on. Anyone know how to remove bypass? I think I have to just remove the unit plugged the hole and press down the switch. I have to think of something until I get a new plastic piece

Re: Having the common tranny issues with 46re, need guidance [Re: Adam71Charger] #2452923
02/17/18 03:27 AM
02/17/18 03:27 AM
Tacoma, Washington USA
A
Adam71Charger Offline OP
pro stock
pro stock
A

Tacoma, Washington USA
Alright, I got the new plastic piece that the neutral safety switch rides on. Luckily I was able to install it without having to drop the valve body again! FYI, the piece is called the Neutral Safety Backup Insulator, SONNAX part # 2222907K. I was able to quickly (and gently) drill out the rivet holding in the remaining broken insulator and po it off. I cleaned the metal arm very well, scratched it up with some sandpaper, cleaned again with brakleen, dried it and then used a little 2 part plastic epoxy on the new insulator and popped it onto the metal arm. This was a little tricky due to the angle, but it worked. The plastic insulator is shaped so that it clips down onto the arm, and the epoxy was just extra protection. I let it cure overnight, way way longer than directed. It worked perfectly. I cleaned the pan spotless and this time I just used right stuff RTV with no gasket, torqued to 6 ftlbs, then to 12 ftlbs. No leaks whatsoever.

Re: Having the common tranny issues with 46re, need guidance [Re: Adam71Charger] #2452924
02/17/18 03:28 AM
02/17/18 03:28 AM
Tacoma, Washington USA
A
Adam71Charger Offline OP
pro stock
pro stock
A

Tacoma, Washington USA
So, here is a picture of the connector of the old TCC solenoid pack. Some of the prongs are slightly bent and a large portion of the connector was broken.

IMG_0170 by Richard Bailey, on Flickr

Re: Having the common tranny issues with 46re, need guidance [Re: Adam71Charger] #2452925
02/17/18 03:29 AM
02/17/18 03:29 AM
Tacoma, Washington USA
A
Adam71Charger Offline OP
pro stock
pro stock
A

Tacoma, Washington USA
The rest of the unit was in decent shape, no broken or frayed wires

IMG_0171 by Richard Bailey, on Flickr

Re: Having the common tranny issues with 46re, need guidance [Re: Adam71Charger] #2452928
02/17/18 03:35 AM
02/17/18 03:35 AM
Tacoma, Washington USA
A
Adam71Charger Offline OP
pro stock
pro stock
A

Tacoma, Washington USA
So, with every electrical component inside the trans plus the output shaft speed sensor ALL BRAND NEW, I hooked the battery back up and started the durango.

Within seconds the check engine light was back on and all the same codes still there.

So, I will now begin my hunt for shorted wires/faulty components/loose connections outside the trasmission.

I'll start by unplugging components that could be suspect, like the O2 sensors, and then I'll trace my wires using the diagrams, and also check my pcm. The pink wire that was cut at the pcm and relay box and jumped to one another is really bothering me, I need to know what that wire goes to and why someone wouldve cut it, and bypassed the harness with a jumper.

I am starting to think it is possible this PCM is the original and was going bad so measures were taken to bypass something, or this is a replacement PCM that was not the right part number therefore not for my Durango and it is causing problems, or possibly it is the correct replacement, just faulty itself. IDK, just some possibilities that crossed my mind

Re: Having the common tranny issues with 46re, need guidance [Re: Adam71Charger] #2452943
02/17/18 04:42 AM
02/17/18 04:42 AM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
See my post above Adam, put the pink wire back to the way it is supposed to be and replace the rear-wheel abs sensor.

Using this aftermarket junk is just making the problem worse. Try to source your parts from an autowrecker if you are looking to save a buck. Myself and others on this site have had numerous issues with aftermarket electrical components.

It's not the same as the old 12 volt days. This new stuff is in milivolts and the aftermarket stuff is too far out of spec to meet the factory requirments.

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: Having the common tranny issues with 46re, need guidance [Re: Adam71Charger] #2452956
02/17/18 09:13 AM
02/17/18 09:13 AM
Tacoma, Washington USA
A
Adam71Charger Offline OP
pro stock
pro stock
A

Tacoma, Washington USA
Grizzly I will do that.

I looked over the wiring diagrams and it looks like the pink wire is for the transmission Relay control

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3