Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing [Re: Cab_Burge] #2436414
01/17/18 04:58 PM
01/17/18 04:58 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Simple, developers were probably in those meetings via through the counties representation and most probably, the number one PITA was the Drag cars.
So here, stop the noise effective immediately and take 75 mill for 15 years, so that our guests next door who invested in the new plots of land, not to mention contributing a wealthy tax base will sleep at night and day, even if it's not late at night.

They should have taken a hint from street outlaws and donated a street somewhere that could be shut down and have the run offs along with not having a Christmas tree crew. LOL. Are we all happy?

Cars will always make their way to places and circumstances just like water. We will either see a large sell off of cars in the general vicinity or a lot of gung-ho property owners going South closer to other tracks or a lot of slow street cruising at least, in general vicinities.

They at least, should have had a proper burial to such a legacy and invited any and everyone for one last hurrah this Summer. I mean, didn't National Speedway and Hamptons raceway do that?
Heart breaking.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2436419
01/17/18 05:04 PM
01/17/18 05:04 PM
-
R
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
RSNOMO  Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
R

-
Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
Heart breaking.

Sign o' the times, Brudda...

(One of the reasons I drove in the PT out to Route 66 Raceway in the past...

Not too often yer gonna have the opportunity to see what was then a NEW drag strip...

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing [Re: hemi_doug] #2436424
01/17/18 05:14 PM
01/17/18 05:14 PM
Connecticut
FurryStump Offline
master
FurryStump  Offline
master

Connecticut
From the last night of racing.

image.jpg

best of 11.39 at 117 mph 1.60 60’. 68 340 S Barracuda Fastback F.A.S.T [IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2mnnnnt.jpg[/IMG]
Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing [Re: FurryStump] #2436431
01/17/18 05:28 PM
01/17/18 05:28 PM
Unfortunately back in New York
N
Nukechargerboy Offline
super stock
Nukechargerboy  Offline
super stock
N

Unfortunately back in New York
This is NIMBY, nothing else. I told my son 5 years ago when we were leaving the Summernationals that one day this place will be gone. I explained to him all the big houses that people are buying down here will get the town to squeeze the owners to close. I agree with Leah, if you don't like the noise, don't buy the house.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2436442
01/17/18 05:41 PM
01/17/18 05:41 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
Simple, developers were probably greasing palms in those meetings via through the counties representation and most probably, the number one PITA was the Drag cars.

It's New Jersey.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing [Re: Nukechargerboy] #2436446
01/17/18 05:49 PM
01/17/18 05:49 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Lets shut down all the airports in the country because people live near them or in the direct flight path of landing/takeoffs LOL.

Detroit now without a city drag strip for some time has hosted some really amazingly successful annual drag events at city airport and Roadkill Woodward.
An hour or so out of the city limits sits Milan drag way in the farm lands.

By way of outlaws, it shows that door car grudge racing is large in revenue and attendance.

Here in New York city, we stand to get hit the hardest being that we have nothing shorter than 3 hours away. lebby is above sea level and far North. Atco is at sea level far down South.

Floyd Bennet field is at sea level and close to the sea itself. go SEA it for yourselves and write a letter or two to your city council people. I know I will.

I stopped going to E-town a while back because of some issues that fell on plugged ears, but I feel for the loyal ones that kept their lights on, including the Christmas trees.

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 01/17/18 05:52 PM.
Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing [Re: CMcAllister] #2436447
01/17/18 05:51 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Didn't Paulie and Christopher get lost in New Jersey? LOL.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing [Re: hemi_doug] #2436448
Spahn Ranch
RMCHRGR Offline
top fuel
RMCHRGR  Offline
top fuel

Spahn Ranch
Doesn't seem like it was noise related though that probably factored into the decision. Putting up with all the headaches of owning a drag strip in the middle of NJ for however many years probably didn't seem worthwhile when they had all that money waved in front of them. You have to think they would have thrown in the towel years ago if it was just the complaints.

Apparently this Copart company made them an offer they couldn't refuse. You can read into that whatever you want but clearly the decision was about money.

From what I read elsewhere, I was totally wrong about the road course because it is in fact a money maker for them. Kids are into the drifting thing nowadays. It might be hard to swallow but it sure seems like no one outside our sphere of enthusiasts really cares about or even likes drag racing anymore. NHRA isn't even bothering to fill the hole on their schedule.

'71 Duster
'17 Ram 1500
Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing [Re: hemi_doug] #2436453
01/17/18 05:59 PM
01/17/18 05:59 PM
Northern N.J.
hemi_doug Offline OP
master
hemi_doug  Offline OP
master

Northern N.J.
NHRA has become just like NASCAR..a business unto itself...The sport of drag racing is going back to it's roots..just look at the success of Street Outlaws. You don't find payouts like that at an NHRA event or points racing...Heck, even big money races in Jr Dragsters are put on by private, non-NHRA sponsors..

71 440-6 4spd & 69 Hemi 4spd
Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing [Re: RMCHRGR] #2436461
01/17/18 06:09 PM
01/17/18 06:09 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

You know what they say about squirrelly roundy round racers, they go around in circles looking for the finish line and we go straight to it. LOL.

Lets face it, a lot of Drag racing has become just that, a Drag. Too expensive to build, race and too much waiting at the staging lanes or for parts. Speed shops are all but gone at this point from these parts at least. S&K being the exception.
Don't get me wrong, everyone's trophy is well deserved, (I have some here) and a pride of the moment, but it gets old when you are spending lots of $$$ to get in line at some half fast events. It seems to have lost some steam as the sport of the times.

Speaking of fast with another meaning, I wish I could see the F.A.S.T guys in a outlaw show on the street, now that would be bad a$$.
Detroit has done something similar.
I don't know guys, I feel for most if not the whole gang.
See y'all on the streets, behaving that is.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing [Re: hemi_doug] #2436468
01/17/18 06:19 PM
01/17/18 06:19 PM
Northern N.J.
hemi_doug Offline OP
master
hemi_doug  Offline OP
master

Northern N.J.
I think we are going to see a lot of changes for this sport in the future..some good...some, like this thread, not so good. But I don't think it is going anywhere soon. It, like everything else, is going to follow the money...

71 440-6 4spd & 69 Hemi 4spd
Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing [Re: AndyF] #2436475
01/17/18 06:29 PM
01/17/18 06:29 PM
Between a rock & a hard place
C
cudadoug Offline
master
cudadoug  Offline
master
C

Between a rock & a hard place
Originally Posted By AndyF
Never been there, is E-town on E-street? Is everything in NJ named E? Do you take the E train to E street to get to E-town?

Don't forget that E Street band that's recorded a record or two...

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing [Re: RMCHRGR] #2436482
01/17/18 06:44 PM
01/17/18 06:44 PM
Akron, Ohio
ProSport Offline
I Live Here
ProSport  Offline
I Live Here

Akron, Ohio
Originally Posted By RMCHRGR
Doesn't seem like it was noise related though that probably factored into the decision. Putting up with all the headaches of owning a drag strip in the middle of NJ for however many years probably didn't seem worthwhile when they had all that money waved in front of them. You have to think they would have thrown in the towel years ago if it was just the complaints.

Apparently this Copart company made them an offer they couldn't refuse. You can read into that whatever you want but clearly the decision was about money.

From what I read elsewhere, I was totally wrong about the road course because it is in fact a money maker for them. Kids are into the drifting thing nowadays. It might be hard to swallow but it sure seems like no one outside our sphere of enthusiasts really cares about or even likes drag racing anymore. NHRA isn't even bothering to fill the hole on their schedule.

Oh I'm sure money is a huge part of the deal for sure. I posted Leah's quote today because she may have heard a rumor about part of the problem. Who knows.

Drag racing is huge here in Ohio, tracks everywhere and it seems like everyone is building cars. Hopefully this whole deal will spark interest for someone to build a new track near E-town.

1970 Challenger, all aluminum 528 Hemi, HDK suspension, Tremec 5 speed manual
Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing [Re: ProSport] #2436503
01/17/18 07:10 PM
01/17/18 07:10 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted By ProSport
Originally Posted By RMCHRGR

Oh I'm sure money is a huge part of the deal for sure. I posted Leah's quote today because she may have heard a rumor about part of the problem. Who knows.

Drag racing is huge here in Ohio, tracks everywhere and it seems like everyone is building cars. Hopefully this whole deal will spark interest for someone to build a new track near E-town.

Not likely as the permits and legal fees (there would be lawsuits) would cost at least as much as the track. If, and it's a big IF you can even get the permits.

Most counties have a 5 year, 10 year and 20 year plan. While the track may be out in the sticks now, in 20 years their will be houses right up against it.

Houses are a much more profitable tax base.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing [Re: madscientist] #2436514
01/17/18 07:39 PM
01/17/18 07:39 PM
-
R
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
RSNOMO  Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
R

-
Originally Posted By madscientist
Houses are a much more profitable tax base.

Motor City, and Detroit Dragway are(were)proof in the pudding here...

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing [Re: ProSport] #2436515
01/17/18 07:45 PM
01/17/18 07:45 PM
Spahn Ranch
RMCHRGR Offline
top fuel
RMCHRGR  Offline
top fuel

Spahn Ranch
Originally Posted By ProSport
Hopefully this whole deal will spark interest for someone to build a new track near E-town.

Yeah, not happening. Land is worth way too much around here.

If by some miracle some town around here decided they wanted a drag strip in their town, they would be hard-pressed to find someone willing to do it. No one is building anything within 100 miles of NYC that takes up that much space, causes that much noise, is astronomically expensive to run and insure, only serves a small and graying population of enthusiasts doing something no one really cares for and basically has a 7 month window of operation. Having the money is not even half the battle.

That's what makes this so hard to swallow is that some car salvage company made them an offer to take drag racing out of the equation for them and they took it. Was there pressure from homeowners and politicians to do the same thing? Probably but again, they stuck it out for so long in the face of all that, why give up now and why just drag racing?

Incidentally, cars were stored there after Sandy so it's not something totally new. It's close enough to the city and near enough major highways to be able to get cars in and out quickly. Makes sense for Copart!

'71 Duster
'17 Ram 1500
Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing [Re: Al_Alguire] #2436517
01/17/18 07:51 PM
01/17/18 07:51 PM
Cochise Co, Az, From Detroit
moetown Offline
enthusiast
moetown  Offline
enthusiast

Cochise Co, Az, From Detroit
Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
Numidia huh..Then you must know the internet legend who calls it his home track smile His son ran jr points there as well.

Hint: A 60's TV show with a horse. Horse had same name. The horse also has the same number of wins in a drag car. The legend acts like the back end of a horse...

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing [Re: RMCHRGR] #2436524
01/17/18 08:18 PM
01/17/18 08:18 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

In a nut shell, what RMCHGR just explained and laid out is the nail in the coffin and totally correct. There's no more dog in this fight of reasons. Hang your helmets guys.
R-aceway. I-n. P-ieces.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing [Re: hemi_doug] #2436531
01/17/18 08:31 PM
01/17/18 08:31 PM
nj
J
JAMESDART Offline
mopar
JAMESDART  Offline
mopar
J

nj
The town plan makes sense. Although I would think the junkyard is going to have some environmental clean up issues when that's done. I wonder what it would do for zoning.
This just isn't the way I thought it would go out. I thought they would have jammed as many homes in there as they could, or an Amazon warehouse or something like that, that would bring something to the town. Weather it be homes, jobs, whatever. It's just crazy that's it's for a junkyard. I'm also really surprised a town would welcome a junkyard.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing [Re: JAMESDART] #2436581
01/17/18 09:51 PM
01/17/18 09:51 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Probably a 15 year contingency for 75M and then the yard has to leave and they'll (RP)open it back up with enough capital to modernize and upkeep. Wishful thinking LOL

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8