Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2428120 - 01/02/18 11:18 PM Carlisle
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
My wife and I are planning a trip back east for this summer. It will be our 40th wedding anniversary. She has relatives that live near Elmira NY so a trip there is planned. As part of this trip we are thinking of taking in the Mopar show in July at Carlisle. I am also considering on taking the GTS. For those who are familiar with the venue I have some questions.

Hotels/Motels near the venue (no dives, want a nice place to stay. Also need secure trailer parking)

Do they let you keep your car at the facility or do you have to take it out each night?

Would there be a secure place I can leave the trailer when we leave the show for NY? Elmira is suppose to be a 3 hour drive

I probably have more questions so I may ask more as members post their opinions.

#2428157 - 01/03/18 12:49 AM Re: Carlisle [Re: dart4forte]
Morty426 Offline
master

Loc: Sacramento CA
Can't help with the later questions, but I stay in East Harrisburg. It's an easy less than 30 minute drive to the show.

Plenty of good hotels and places to eat there.

The weather is very unpredictable.

It can be high 90s with thunderstorms and 99% humidity or 65 and nothing but overcast or hot humid and bright sunshine or raining non-stop. I've experienced it all.

With that said it's still the best place to go find stuff and meet your online Mopar buddies. up

#2428181 - 01/03/18 05:11 AM Re: Carlisle [Re: dart4forte]
vinnyd76 Offline
super stock

Loc: Macomb, MI
In the years that I've been attending the Carlisle event, I've seen attendees leave their vehicles on the grounds overnight and there is limited trailer parking on the property. There are also lots just down the street that can handle trailer parking. Some guests will leave their trailers at the hotel and drive their Mopar each day into the fairgrounds.

#2428228 - 01/03/18 09:10 AM Re: Carlisle [Re: vinnyd76]
cudaboy340 Offline
super stock

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Hi dart4forte,

My name is Ed Buczeskie and I am the Event Manager for the Carlisle Chrysler Nationals. I'll try to answer your questions the best I can. As far as the hotels, that might be better to get others' opinions based on their experiences. Since I live here, I don't stay in the hotels so I have no personal experience with any of them. In general, if you pick a reputable national chain, you should be fine.

With regard to leaving your car on grounds overnight, that's absolutely fine. We don't kick anyone out at a particular time and we never close Gate 3 (the main gate). All other gates are locked. There is security on Gate 3 around the clock and there is roving security around the clock covering the entire grounds. I can tell you as a participant in the past, my wife and I would bring 2-3 cars for the weekend and we would take one home each night and leave the other 1 or 2. Lots of people leave their cars overnight.

As far as the trailer parking, we have limited parking on-grounds (meaning within the fence line of the show). We also have nearly unlimited trailer parking just outside of Gate 1. That area is actually a mix of trailer parking and camping. It looks like you're also looking for a place to leave your trailer after the show while you do some vacationing. How long do you need to leave it? I might be able to assist you with that. Also, there are plenty of fellow Mopar folks in the area. One of them might have a spot where you can leave it.

The weather in Central PA in July is generally hot and humid. Temps are usually around 90. If it rains, it's USUALLY limited to a brief shower or an evening or overnight rain. The rain can be in the form of a thunderstorm. The good thing is, any rain is USUALLY brief and NOT a total rain out.

I try to pop in here from time to time but yesterday was the start of what I call my "Busy Season" as this is when I start getting really busy with show planning. If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me directly at EdB@CarlisleEvents.com and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. I will answer any questions honestly because the last thing I want is for someone to come to the show and be disappointed. I think the show has a pretty good reputation and that's important to me. I encourage others to chime in with their thoughts and opinions because obviously I'm a little biased wink

And don't forget, as an added bonus, you now also get the Hurst Nationals as part of the Chrysler Nationals. That show is held right across the street at our Expo Center. This year I'm celebrating 60 Years of Hurst-Campbell, 50 Years of the Hurst/Olds and 50 Years of the Hemi Darts & Barracudas!!

Ed

#2428232 - 01/03/18 09:19 AM Re: Carlisle [Re: dart4forte]
Stanton Offline
master

Loc: Ontario, Canada
You'll be extremely lucky if you can find a hotel within 15 miles now.

#2428242 - 01/03/18 09:44 AM Re: Carlisle [Re: dart4forte]
mopars4ever Offline
I Live Here

Loc: md
We stayed here a few times years ago. Very nice place. http://www.pheasantfield.com/

#2428248 - 01/03/18 10:04 AM Re: Carlisle [Re: dart4forte]
dan9 Offline
super stock

Loc: pa.
The Super 8 was pretty bad . There are some new hotels in and around Carlisle. If you can stay in West Middlesex it is ok too. A lot of those hotels along rt. 11 cater to truckers and don't take reservations. Sometimes if you walk in you can get a room.

#2428307 - 01/03/18 11:51 AM Re: Carlisle [Re: cudaboy340]
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By cudaboy340
Hi dart4forte,

My name is Ed Buczeskie and I am the Event Manager for the Carlisle Chrysler Nationals. I'll try to answer your questions the best I can. As far as the hotels, that might be better to get others' opinions based on their experiences. Since I live here, I don't stay in the hotels so I have no personal experience with any of them. In general, if you pick a reputable national chain, you should be fine.

With regard to leaving your car on grounds overnight, that's absolutely fine. We don't kick anyone out at a particular time and we never close Gate 3 (the main gate). All other gates are locked. There is security on Gate 3 around the clock and there is roving security around the clock covering the entire grounds. I can tell you as a participant in the past, my wife and I would bring 2-3 cars for the weekend and we would take one home each night and leave the other 1 or 2. Lots of people leave their cars overnight.

As far as the trailer parking, we have limited parking on-grounds (meaning within the fence line of the show). We also have nearly unlimited trailer parking just outside of Gate 1. That area is actually a mix of trailer parking and camping. It looks like you're also looking for a place to leave your trailer after the show while you do some vacationing. How long do you need to leave it? I might be able to assist you with that. Also, there are plenty of fellow Mopar folks in the area. One of them might have a spot where you can leave it.

The weather in Central PA in July is generally hot and humid. Temps are usually around 90. If it rains, it's USUALLY limited to a brief shower or an evening or overnight rain. The rain can be in the form of a thunderstorm. The good thing is, any rain is USUALLY brief and NOT a total rain out.

I try to pop in here from time to time but yesterday was the start of what I call my "Busy Season" as this is when I start getting really busy with show planning. If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me directly at EdB@CarlisleEvents.com and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. I will answer any questions honestly because the last thing I want is for someone to come to the show and be disappointed. I think the show has a pretty good reputation and that's important to me. I encourage others to chime in with their thoughts and opinions because obviously I'm a little biased wink

And don't forget, as an added bonus, you now also get the Hurst Nationals as part of the Chrysler Nationals. That show is held right across the street at our Expo Center. This year I'm celebrating 60 Years of Hurst-Campbell, 50 Years of the Hurst/Olds and 50 Years of the Hemi Darts & Barracudas!!

Ed

I hear there's a lot of walking involved in that it's a big show. My wife has a bad back and I sometimes have problems with my knees. Are there golf carts there for rent? Mainly for her in that I like walking but may need a break.

#2428321 - 01/03/18 12:22 PM Re: Carlisle [Re: dart4forte]
rdrnr6970 Offline
Your #1 source for current events

Loc: NJ
Hey yup theres golf carts and a truck that was taking people around it was pretty hot,my fiancé and I got hot/tired after a lot of walking,we even stopped by the moparts tent for some water! thumbs

Edited by rdrnr6970 (01/03/18 12:22 PM)
OWNER OF EVERYTHING FROM 1956 300 B,IMPERIAL,NEW YORKER HEMIS,AND NEW HEMI TRUCKS. 1969/70 ROADRUNNERS ,DARTS/CORONETS,,1970 DODGE ADVENTURER 383,4SPD,DANA TRUCK, NORTHEAST HEMI OWNERS ASSOCIATION.....WWW.PHANTASMCUDAS.COM....MOPAR FAMILY FOR 50 YEARS AND STILL GOING!MOPAR OWNER COAST TO COAST!!!!

#2428324 - 01/03/18 12:27 PM Re: Carlisle [Re: dart4forte]
Twostick Offline
master

Loc: Downtown Roebuck Ont
If you are looking to score points with the Missus, stay at The Carlisle House B&B. It's downtown within walking distance of every decent restaurant in town.

The cost seems a little high until you factor in what the fleabag hotels are charging and it will seem cheap by comparison afterwards.

We've been staying there for several years now.

Tim and Carolyn are the best.

www.thecarlislehouse.com

Kevin

#2428375 - 01/03/18 02:10 PM Re: Carlisle [Re: dart4forte]
Morty426 Offline
master

There is lots of walking. Walking the parts section takes about 6-8 hours. There are electric chairs to rent. It's also hilly.

#2428562 - 01/03/18 08:06 PM Re: Carlisle [Re: Morty426]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Loc: Mt.Gilead, Ohio
Originally Posted By Morty426
There is lots of walking. Walking the parts section takes about 6-8 hours. There are electric chairs to rent. It's also hilly.

iagree I spent an entire day wandering through the swap section. Always have a great time, though.

Looking for my original 383 block. Last seen around the Atlanta area. 7449 are the last 4 of the VIN.

#2428588 - 01/03/18 08:29 PM Re: Carlisle [Re: OhioMopar]
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here

Ive pretty much decided not to take the car. Going to be a long trip driving from Phoenix through Nashville, eastern VA to see mu cousins and then up to Elmira. Going home we are taking I-90 west through North Dakota then go south on I-25 through Denver, Albuquerque then back west on the I-40. Lot of miles to be dragging a 24' trailer. Carlisle is definitely a stop.

#2428618 - 01/03/18 09:23 PM Re: Carlisle [Re: dart4forte]
Morty426 Offline
master

Originally Posted By dart4forte
Ive pretty much decided not to take the car. Going to be a long trip driving from Phoenix through Nashville, eastern VA to see mu cousins and then up to Elmira. Going home we are taking I-90 west through North Dakota then go south on I-25 through Denver, Albuquerque then back west on the I-40. Lot of miles to be dragging a 24' trailer. Carlisle is definitely a stop.

Bring lots of money.

You'll have a blast.

#2428642 - 01/03/18 10:05 PM Re: Carlisle [Re: dart4forte]
DirectSubjection Offline
Tacohead. The First and Only

Loc: Middlesex County, New Jersey
I stayed at the Homewood Suites and the Hilton Garden Inn in Harrisburg by the Harrisburg Mall with the Bass Pro Shop, nice area, lots of parking and food choices, 30 minutes from the fairgrounds

#2428656 - 01/03/18 10:27 PM Re: Carlisle [Re: DirectSubjection]
Morty426 Offline
master

Originally Posted By DirectSubjection
I stayed at the Homewood Suites and the Hilton Garden Inn in Harrisburg by the Harrisburg Mall with the Bass Pro Shop, nice area, lots of parking and food choices, 30 minutes from the fairgrounds

That's where I have stayed many times - good choice up

#2428718 - 01/04/18 12:41 AM Re: Carlisle [Re: Morty426]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Loc: Mt.Gilead, Ohio
Originally Posted By Morty426
Originally Posted By dart4forte

Bring lots of money.

You'll have a blast.

Very true... There are some good buys on cars there. So you might not take one, but if you bring enough, you could go home with one...

Looking for my original 383 block. Last seen around the Atlanta area. 7449 are the last 4 of the VIN.

#2428758 - 01/04/18 06:35 AM Re: Carlisle [Re: OhioMopar]
adventurer Offline
super stock

Loc: Northeast TN
You ask about golf cart for the wife and there are some golf carts running around that can take you from place to place Carlisle also has a trolley running around that you can get on to ride around and look at stuff. Right inside gate 3 there is a rental place for mobility scooters you can go to the Carlisle site and they have a link to the place that rents them so you can reserve one. I rented one for the wife and it made a world of difference for her because she could get around and look at everything even with her bad knees. Also you probably should be driving some kind of Mopar even late model stuff, register it for the fun field it is cheaper to get in and then also you have your vehicle where you can get to it and have your cooler right there. It is a great show with tons of stuff to see you and your wife should have a great time. One other side trip I would recommend is come a day early and tour Gettysburg, about 50 miles before Carlisle, if you have never been it is a great experience if you like that kind of stuff. twocents
60 Desoto Adventurer 2dr
67 Dodge Dart Gt Conv. 273 4bbl
04 PT Cruiser GT Turbo
14 Ram R/T
"Life's to short to drink cheap beer."

#2428995 - 01/04/18 02:50 PM Re: Carlisle [Re: adventurer]
cudaboy340 Offline
super stock

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Just to clarify, we do NOT rent golf carts but we DO have a company that rents the mobility scooters as others have mentioned. Also as previously mentioned, you will definitely want to reserve it in advance as they always run out at the larger shows. The rental company is Scootaround and their number is 1-888-441-7575.

With this being your first time at the show and the distance you are traveling, not bringing your car this time might not be a bad idea. Come to the show once as a spectator and check it out.

Here are some actual show/event stats for you. The actual show facility is 82 acres (that's NOT counting the off-site lots that I mentioned previously) and the show uses all of that 82 acres EXCEPT for the approximately 100 trailer parking spots that I mentioned previously as well as about 250 camping spaces. The rest is all show. We legitimately get 2600-2700 show cars. Our swap meet is over 2700 spaces (10x30 spaces and that does NOT include the Manufacturers Midway). The Car Corral ranges from 300-350 cars for sale each year. I have a really cool aerial photo from a couple of years ago but I don't know how to post a pic here. I can gladly email it to you.

There is some other cool stuff to do in the area if you're interested. Gettysburg was already mentioned and it's super easy to get to. Rt 34 runs right past the Fairgrounds (it's the road outside of Gate 3) and it takes you right to the battlefields. Lancaster and the Amish are about an hour away. Hershey and Hersheypark are 30-45 minutes away (and the Hershey AACA Museum). Philly is about 2 hours. Washington D.C. is 2.5 hours away. New York City is about 3 hours. If you want an old school amusement park, Knoebels Amusement Resort is about an hour away and they offer FREE parking and FREE admission. It's an awesome place with rides as old as the park (90+ years) and brand new rides.

See you in July!!

Ed

#2429022 - 01/04/18 03:39 PM Re: Carlisle [Re: cudaboy340]
rrbrucea Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Nort Cackalacky
Ed, email the photo to me at bruceanliker@yahoo.com and I'll be happy to post it here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,631 Registered Members
32 Forums
195,641 Topics
2,288,869 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
1969 Plymouth Road Runner
by tomsjack
12/15/18 02:47 AM