Topic Options
#2428386 - 01/03/18 02:38 PM Home filtration for lime build up on faucets?
StrokerPost Offline
master

Loc: Missouri
Since switching from our deep water well to city water we have that white build up (lime?) On all the faucets and shower heads, whats a good home filtration system for lime, or is there? Whats your exeriences and recommendations? Links would be helpful if you have them. Thanks.
Ken

BTW, im talking about a relatively cheap system, such as a filter cartridge system, not a full blown water softener. We have an older Culligan system in the house that worked well, but, something in the control head failed and was going to cost several hundred dollars to fix, so, unless fixing it turns out to be the best option, I'm trying to find something cheaper and smaller.

Edited by StrokerPost (01/03/18 03:04 PM)

67 Dart 2 dr post, 308 iron headed 414 SB. Perf 1/4 mi 10.45 @ 127
5 time Monster Mopar race winner...just sayin!!

#2428541 - 01/03/18 07:36 PM Re: Home filtration for lime build up on faucets? [Re: StrokerPost]
moparjim79 Offline

Loc: Central Pa
Sorry, but a filter is not going to solve your problems....it sounds like you have good ol hard water.

#2428653 - 01/03/18 10:23 PM Re: Home filtration for lime build up on faucets? [Re: StrokerPost]
Stanton Online   content
master

Loc: Ontario, Canada
A water softener will solve your problem.

#2428791 - 01/04/18 09:08 AM Re: Home filtration for lime build up on faucets? [Re: StrokerPost]
DaytonaTurbo Online   content

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
If you're switching over to city water, your new water supply shouldn't be that bad? I have that same build-up on some of my faucets because my well water is very hard and the house was run for many years without a softener before I bought it but with city water I think you would be ok.

#2428827 - 01/04/18 09:53 AM Re: Home filtration for lime build up on faucets? [Re: StrokerPost]
Charger727 Offline
super stock

Loc: Eau Claire, WI
It might be scale coming from your water heater - how old is it? Switching to city water may be higher pressure and now it's flushing the junk out to your faucets

I have scale problems with my old water heater doing the same thing, planning on replacing it soon

#2428859 - 01/04/18 10:30 AM Re: Home filtration for lime build up on faucets? [Re: StrokerPost]
Stanton Online   content
master

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Quote:
If you're switching over to city water, your new water supply shouldn't be that bad?

HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA !!!!

Maybe YOUR city water isn't that bad !! Ours is 18 GPG on the hardness scale - which is "right up there". A nearby city is even worse. Any harder and you probably couldn't legally call it water.

OP ... right now you see it on your faucets but its also in your kettles, dish washer, HW tank, etc.. And it will also leave a scale on your shower walls. If you Google "water hardness" for your city you will likely be able to see what the hardness is. This would be necessary to set up a water softener anyway.

As far as removing the visible calcium from faucets, etc, there is a product called CLR that you can wipe or soak the faucets in. Its pretty fast-acting.

#2428939 - 01/04/18 01:03 PM Re: Home filtration for lime build up on faucets? [Re: StrokerPost]
herkamer Offline
pro stock

Loc: Lakewood, Colorado
I went with the Apec reverse osmosis system to get away from bottled drinking water. Took the water from about 160PPM total dissolved solids to 4. I did buy the whole house system for my place, but haven't got it installed yet. As well as it works on drinking water I would imagine the whole house system should work really well.

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/whole-house-water-filters.htm/
Old news: 72 Demon street/race mobile
Latest: 70 Duster backhalf car
and even more

#2428969 - 01/04/18 02:04 PM Re: Home filtration for lime build up on faucets? [Re: StrokerPost]
wingman Offline
Uncreative Title

Loc: St. Charles, MO
St. Louis city water is usually between 130 and 180 grains depending on the season. That's high. A filter will not really solve your issue--you will need a softener for that.

#2431489 - 01/09/18 04:38 AM Re: Home filtration for lime build up on faucets? [Re: Charger727]
StrokerPost Offline
master

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By Charger727
It might be scale coming from your water heater - how old is it? Switching to city water may be higher pressure and now it's flushing the junk out to your faucets

I have scale problems with my old water heater doing the same thing, planning on replacing it soon

Its definately the city water, not BECAUSE its city, just our city water is not that good. Ran a softener for 15 or 20 years when on the well and when the water heater went bad it had nothing in it at all, it was light as a feather after draining it. After the softener quit we switched to city water thinking it would be better, but after only 4 years the new water heater was so limed up and leaking it would hardly give any hot water at all, and when i took that one out it weighed a ton, it was full of lime. Anyway, the new one is not a year old and we've decided to buck up and fix the softener before that new heater is junk too. Thanks all for your thoughts.

67 Dart 2 dr post, 308 iron headed 414 SB. Perf 1/4 mi 10.45 @ 127
5 time Monster Mopar race winner...just sayin!!

#2431559 - 01/09/18 09:55 AM Re: Home filtration for lime build up on faucets? [Re: StrokerPost]
srt Online   content

Loc: Fire and Fury
You can check your water reports, many municipalities post it on line.
With your recent change the new water and it's associated chlorine can be disintegrating years of scale from inside your plumbing.
Over the years I've been involved in several waer system expansion projects. After construction and attaching to homes the superchlorinated water (tablets or injection in mainline) would be allowed to run through fire hydrants to flush. The flush was to disinfect the new construction. Did the water company fill and flush your home system? If so that could start the process, or, even over time the chlorine will start the descaling of your lines and it will peak and slowly get better and better. To help it alons it's wise to flush your water heater once a week or so and also open all faucets and the lowest hosebib at least once a week. Early morning is best as the chlorinated water has been working on the scale all night.

#2432267 - 01/10/18 01:09 PM Re: Home filtration for lime build up on faucets? [Re: StrokerPost]
MoparKansas Offline
super stock

Loc: KS
We moved 3 months ago to a place that has 19 Grain hardness. Bought a new dishwasher and in the 3 months the stainless inside had turned almost completely white. I installed a new softener last week and the hard water spots on the sink and in that dishwasher have almost disappeared. Many of the bathroom and toilet fixtures in the house are almost completely shot and the house is only 15 years old.

This is the place we bought ours from and it looks like they sell the head only if it would work on your tank. https://www.discountwatersofteners.com/g...esaApMMEALw_wcB

I think it would be worth the investment to get a softener again just to save the wear and tear on your appliances and fixtures. Good luck!

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,533 Registered Members
32 Forums
193,979 Topics
2,265,655 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
SB Victor head exhaust flanges, anybody need a set?
by CJD AUTOMOTIVE
26 minutes 0 seconds ago
Are vacuum advances rebuidable?
by Moparpete
58 minutes 11 seconds ago
EFI conversion reliability
by moparmarks
59 minutes 23 seconds ago
hood
by GVH
Today at 06:45 AM