Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 >
Topic Options
#2426351 - 12/31/17 12:14 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: ScottSmith_Harms]
magnum440d100 Offline
top fuel

Loc: woodcrest, CA
Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
magnum440d100,

So, let's say you had your pit in a public place (that being anywhere outside your home) and it bit the face of a 5 year old girl because she put her hand in its face to pet it.

Where would you place the blame?

The pit?
The pits owner
The little girl?
The little girls gaurdian?

AL of the above would get blamed.

The dog for biting, myself for not noticing a little girl running up to the dog and stopping it from happening, the little girl for not asking to pet the dog, and the girls guardian for not teaching the girl to ask before petting the dog.

Do YOU just go up to any dog and pet it in public? Do you ask first?

I was at a car show and a woman was walking a pit. She walked by my truck I entered. I ASKED if I could pet the dog and she said yes. I pet the dog and it LOVED the attention.

There are way too many variables in the above scenario though. If my dog were a nervous dog (breed doesn't matter) I would NOT take it out in public en mass. I would socialize it slowly at first. And if asked to be pet, I would object if I felt the dog would not respond well (assuming I took the dog public if it were nervous).

Edited by magnum440d100 (12/31/17 12:16 PM)
Edit Reason: Phones autocorrect...

#2426744 - 12/31/17 07:16 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: ScottSmith_Harms]
JMCFAN Offline
pro stock

Loc: New Mexico
Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
magnum440d100,

So, let's say you had your pit in a public place (that being anywhere outside your home) and it bit the face of a 5 year old girl because she put her hand in its face to pet it.

Where would you place the blame?

The pit?
The pits owner
The little girl?
The little girls gaurdian?

tough question... but if i had dog that would bite a child.... gone!!!

#2426766 - 12/31/17 07:36 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: mopargem]
justinp61 Offline
master

Loc: W. Kentucky
My elderly neighbors across the road (rural area) have three large german sheperds and a female pit. I will not visit unless I call and make sure the shepherds are in the pen, the pit has never shown any aggression. Not saying she never will.

The shepherds are kept in a pen and they let them out from time to time and on occasion they come into my yard. I don't care for them being here but I do have a small dog that stays out side. There have been a couple times that either my wife or myself have gone out and they were here and approaching my dog in an aggressive way. Also late this summer my wife heard our dog barking and went out, our dog was on the porch and one of the shepherds was starting up the steps. She ran him off but he turned and started coming back growling, fortunately he turned and went home.

After that I visited my neighbor and explained that if their dogs ever did that again and I was home I'd bring them home dead. If I'm in your yard and your dog is aggressive with me it's one thing, I will not tolerate it in my yard, your dog will die, no if's and or but's about it.

#2426847 - 12/31/17 08:59 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: justinp61]
magnum440d100 Offline
top fuel

Loc: woodcrest, CA
Originally Posted By justinp61
My elderly neighbors across the road (rural area) have three large german sheperds and a female pit. I will not visit unless I call and make sure the shepherds are in the pen, the pit has never shown any aggression. Not saying she never will.

The shepherds are kept in a pen and they let them out from time to time and on occasion they come into my yard. I don't care for them being here but I do have a small dog that stays out side. There have been a couple times that either my wife or myself have gone out and they were here and approaching my dog in an aggressive way. Also late this summer my wife heard our dog barking and went out, our dog was on the porch and one of the shepherds was starting up the steps. She ran him off but he turned and started coming back growling, fortunately he turned and went home.

After that I visited my neighbor and explained that if their dogs ever did that again and I was home I'd bring them home dead. If I'm in your yard and your dog is aggressive with me it's one thing, I will not tolerate it in my yard, your dog will die, no if's and or but's about it.

A friend of mine has 2 shepherds. One is an older female. She is a rescue and estimated to have been a stray for a couple years. She showed up at my friends friends place of business one day, they fed her, and eventually she let people get close. This dog is absolutely an amazing dog. She's just laid back, calm, and obedient. If my female dog got along with other female dogs, I'd have dognapped my friends shepherd.

His OTHER shepherd is an entirely different story. He's had him since a pup. And I mean puppy. He is about a year old now, and is unruly. My friend works with him, and the dog knows sit, stay, etc but the dog is DUMB! Chews on everything, has chewed wires on cars, antennas on cars, scratch the paint on all the cars (all Mercedes and about 10 of them plus a few other makes). You try to punish this dog, and it's like he has no pain receptors. He was running full speed, smacked into a car and kept going! There is nothing that hasn't been chewed in the yard either. He takes tools and stuff off tables, and chews it. Only during the night.

The other day, I was talking to my friend. This dog jump up and paws me in the back. I turned, grabbed him by the collar, and slammed him to the ground and held him there. I explained to my friend that jumping on me at 260 pounds is one thing. But if he were to jump on my friends kids (30 and 50lbs appx) the kids would be seriously hurt. He said that yeah, he has jumped and knocked the kids over.

I'm seriously torn on this dog. There is absolutely no aggression, or mal intent coming from this dog. He is super friendly, just extremely unruly. He "may" turn into a good dog in a couple years. My pup honey settled down at about 2-2.5 years old. Now she's absolutely amazing. I'm hoping the same is true for this pup. But on the other hand, I'm thinking this pups excited energy may turn to aggressive energy if it can't be released appropriately. This pup DOES get plenty of exercise. He has a 1/2 acre of yard that him and the other pup run around in, and they DO play so it's not like he has no outlet....

#2426849 - 12/31/17 09:03 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: justinp61]
Streetwize Offline
master

Loc: Weddington, N.C.
Pitbulls are decended from Terriers....the dogs people used to ferret out and kill rodents and other pests. I think it's safe to state that generally Terriers are inherently aggressive and territorial by nature.

I knew people I worked with in construction in rural SC many years ago that used to brag about their fighting dogs and how they line bred them to make them crazy and viscious, basically 'redneck designer' fighting dogs. The inherent strength of the pitbull is #1 it's biting strength with relentless jaws and #2 it's relatively thick and loose skin around the thick necks (where dogs instictively attack eachother) that would allow a bit dog to reach around and still bite the other without bleeding significantly. Combine that with a dogs inherent aggressive terrier nature and then 'super-size' that with selective aggressive breeding and training....there you have a lethal killing machine that literally can be bred to fear nothing and will attack ANYTHING on a trained command.

But that said I know many happy fun loving fiercly loyal pits that I have no issue with at all and love to play and wrestle with. My friend has a beautiful blue/white 95 pound female that is an awesome companion and loves to play. It's a shame for the good ones that are tossed inthe mix with the horror show animals you hear about in the news. Most apartment complexes and some HOAs and public parks openly discriminate against the breed because of the reputation....very sad. Are they smart? No I wouldn't say that is one of their strengths.

For 13 years I had a Female Wolf-Dog (her father was a pure 135lb McKenzie Timberwolf and her mother a Siberian Husky) and that animal was amazingly super-naturally smart but very loving animal, I could give her a 2" Diameter ham bone one minute and she would break it into pieces and then the next minute I'd wrestle with her on the floor with my whole wrist in her mouth and she would never come close to breaking skin....But if an adult stranger came to the house she would crouch and wouldn't make a sound.....but when you were within her striking range she would growl and show teeth to let you know she's ready....and then wait for your next move. Any children....all children got invited with a crouching play stance and a wagging tail...(RIP Nakima 1998-2011)

Edited by Streetwize (12/31/17 09:32 PM)

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0

#2427327 - 01/01/18 04:21 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: mopargem]
Supercuda Offline
I Live Here

Another winner and their dog

"According to the victim, the owner of the dog had brought the animal in with a muzzle but described it as "sweet as can be." The owner claimed the dog was wearing a muzzle because it had previously attacked another dog, but did not disclose that it had, in fact, mauled a 62-year-old woman only several months earlier."

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/12/gofundme_started_for_petsmart.html

Both need put down, imo.

#2427383 - 01/01/18 05:43 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: Supercuda]
justinp61 Offline
master

Loc: W. Kentucky
Originally Posted By Supercuda
Another winner and their dog

"According to the victim, the owner of the dog had brought the animal in with a muzzle but described it as "sweet as can be." The owner claimed the dog was wearing a muzzle because it had previously attacked another dog, but did not disclose that it had, in fact, mauled a 62-year-old woman only several months earlier."

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/12/gofundme_started_for_petsmart.html

Both need put down, imo.

I bet the lawyers are already lining up at the victims door.

#2427384 - 01/01/18 05:48 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: mopargem]
Supercuda Offline
I Live Here

As responsible as that "owner" was I doubt she has any insurance or assets. Which means PetSmart will be the target and we all get to pay.

#2427476 - 01/01/18 08:44 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: Supercuda]
yorker Offline
Village Idiot

Loc: Walmart parking lot
I got bit last month by a neighbors dog. I sometimes walk my dog past the fence and the two dogs bark at each other. Day I got bitten, did not see the dog, apperntly it was in the non fenced yard and possibly with the owner. May had been on leash. It noticed I was walking and came running to my dog. I pulled my dog away and kicked at it. Then I thought I would pick up my dog. When I reached down the dog bit my hand. Then I got on the ground and shielded my dog, only to get bit some more.
The owner pulled it off. Only some bite marks to my hand. Dog was about 45 pounds. I did not threaten the owner.
If it was a pit, or any bigger dog that would not be good. Happens in a split second.
Thought I should carry pepper spray, but not yet carrying.

#2427535 - 01/01/18 10:18 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: mopargem]
krautrock Offline
top fuel

Loc: central texas
irresponsible dog owners are abundant. it's a bummer.

#2427568 - 01/01/18 11:34 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: mopargem]
rowin4 Offline
master

Loc: gulfport, ms, west mi
My daughter has a Brownie scout troop. Some of the 7-8 year old girls were down town at the park selling cookies. A older couple came by with their collie dog and one of the girls asked if she could pet the dog. They said yes , the girl put here hand on the dogs back and the dog turned and bit the kid in the face. Not a Pit but any dog can attack for what ever reason they want. I'll take my cat any day.

#2427619 - 01/02/18 06:27 AM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: rowin4]
Guitar Jones Offline
master

Loc: in a cattle trailer down by th...
Originally Posted By rowin4
My daughter has a Brownie scout troop. Some of the 7-8 year old girls were down town at the park selling cookies. A older couple came by with their collie dog and one of the girls asked if she could pet the dog. They said yes , the girl put here hand on the dogs back and the dog turned and bit the kid in the face. Not a Pit but any dog can attack for what ever reason they want. I'll take my cat any day.

Yes, any dog can attack but as I've said before no other dog does it like a pit.

#2427843 - 01/02/18 02:16 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: Guitar Jones]
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

Loc: On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
Originally Posted By Guitar Jones

Yes, any dog can attack but as I've said before no other dog does it like a pit.
And cats scratch more often than dogs bite.

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

#2428094 - 01/02/18 10:04 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: Guitar Jones]
mopowers Offline
master

Loc: Sac, CA

What makes you say that? Plenty of other dog breeds can, and do just as much damage as a pitbull-type dog if they attack.

#2428454 - 01/03/18 05:22 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: mopargem]
ragtopdodge Offline
master

Loc: Seattle
Why do people even buy dogs.

At least 5M dogs are killed each year due to overpopulation.

Nothing wrong w/a mutt from the pound.
1971 BMW 2800CS
1999 Rover Mini 40th anniv with 1.6 VTEC
1994 Merc E320 Coupe

#2428487 - 01/03/18 06:19 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: mopowers]
Guitar Jones Offline
master

Originally Posted By mopowers

What makes you say that? Plenty of other dog breeds can, and do just as much damage as a pitbull-type dog if they attack.

Look it up yourself. Pits are responsible for more level 1 trauma and fatalities than any other breed by a large margin. I've posted the links and stats many times in all the threads. Ignore it if you wish but the numbers don't lie.

#2428494 - 01/03/18 06:26 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: ragtopdodge]
Guitar Jones Offline
master

Originally Posted By ragtopdodge
Why do people even buy dogs.

At least 5M dogs are killed each year due to overpopulation.

Nothing wrong w/a mutt from the pound.

iagree All my dogs have been adopted or rescued in one form or another. Without exception they were grateful and wonderful dogs.

#2428625 - 01/03/18 09:28 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: Guitar Jones]
mopowers Offline
master

Loc: Sac, CA
Originally Posted By mopowers

Look it up yourself. Pits are responsible for more level 1 trauma and fatalities than any other breed by a large margin. I've posted the links and stats many times in all the threads. Ignore it if you wish but the numbers don't lie.

I'm not doubting that at all. However, the number would mean more if it was relative to their total population. For instance- if there are 20x the number of pit-type dogs than german shepard dogs but are only responsible for 10x the number of attacks, guess which one attacks at a higher rate. It'd be nice to have that type of data.

Edited by mopowers (01/03/18 09:29 PM)

#2428747 - 01/04/18 04:22 AM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: mopowers]
Guitar Jones Offline
master

IIRC pits make up about 6% of the total dog population but are responsible for 70% of fatal dog attacks.

#2428748 - 01/04/18 04:37 AM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: Guitar Jones]
BIGGERED Offline
Internet Tough Guy

Loc: North East USA
IIRC pits make up about 6% of the total dog population but are responsible for 70% of fatal dog attacks.

Source of stats?

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 >

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Forum Stats
25,247 Registered Members
32 Forums
188,855 Topics
2,202,242 Posts

Most users ever online: 882 @ 03/05/17 10:15 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Non Mopar...but, WOW