Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2426072 - 12/30/17 07:30 PM Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation?
OhioMopar Offline
master

Loc: Mt.Gilead, Ohio
Just like the title says... Did you ever sell everything off and improve your financial situation? I've been contemplating a similar move for a while now. It would be virtually impossible to find another Bee optioned the way mine is, and I love the car. But the idea of being comfortable is one that is pretty common lately. I'm not destitute, financially ruined, or in any trouble. Just wondering if anyone went from "ok" to "much happier" by the less-is-more method?
Thanks!

Looking for my original 383 block. Last seen around the Atlanta area. 7449 are the last 4 of the VIN.

#2426076 - 12/30/17 07:37 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
astjp2 Offline
master

Loc: Utah and Alaska
I have been extremely poor, as in living on ramen noodles and a macdonalds hamburger for food every day, I still have my 68 Charger that I bought when I was 19. I have sold off other things too, but I always seem to lose when I sell things...so realistically, I just learn to live with my current means until things get better. Tim
1998 Wrangler
2008 Kia Rio
2017 Jetta

I didn't do 4 years and 9 months of Graduate School to be called Mister!

#2426078 - 12/30/17 07:37 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

Loc: On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
I've got stuff for sale that I don't use anymore. Couple cars, car projects, and such. Soon I may start selling some of my tools, and car lift.

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

#2426079 - 12/30/17 07:37 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
OhioMopar Offline
master

I, also, never do super when I sell stuff.

Looking for my original 383 block. Last seen around the Atlanta area. 7449 are the last 4 of the VIN.

#2426080 - 12/30/17 07:38 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: amxautox]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By amxautox
I've got stuff for sale that I don't use anymore. Couple cars, car projects, and such. Soon I may start selling some of my tools, and car lift.

But no boats or fishing rods?

#2426081 - 12/30/17 07:39 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
amxautox Offline

Originally Posted By OhioMopar
Originally Posted By amxautox

But no boats or fishing rods?
HECK NO!!! I use those almost every day during the spring summer and fall. And sorta often during the winter. boogie

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

#2426086 - 12/30/17 07:46 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: amxautox]
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Chilliwack B.C. Canada
When I left the Railway I didn't know how things were going to go so I sold my beloved Hemi Charger to pay my house off. Sometimes responsibility sucks but if it is important you have to do it. I miss the car but faced with the same situation, I would do it again.

Attachments
hemicharger.jpg

Edited by RUNCHARGER (12/30/17 07:47 PM)

#2426108 - 12/30/17 08:24 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
Alaskan_TA Online   content
Fluffy Balladeer

Loc: Still moving in.
Life gives us tough choices at times.

Due to the economy, I had to sell the T/A or lose the house.

No house, no registries & nowhere to store the records I had been entrusted with.

I miss the car, but I know I made the right choice for myself & others.

Best of luck with whatever decision you need to make.

#2426136 - 12/30/17 09:50 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
694406 Offline
top fuel

Loc: St.Louis, MO
I've done it, to buy my house about 3 years ago. Sold everything but 1 project. Three years later I'm back up to 4 keepers and a couple more others.

Good luck ,it's in your blood. You'll be back! Lol

1969 Cuda 383 Q5
1969 Cuda 340 4-spd Notch
1969 GTS Black on White 340 4-spd

#2426138 - 12/30/17 09:56 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: RUNCHARGER]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By RUNCHARGER
When I left the Railway I didn't know how things were going to go so I sold my beloved Hemi Charger to pay my house off. Sometimes responsibility sucks but if it is important you have to do it. I miss the car but faced with the same situation, I would do it again.

That is a way nicer car than what I would be giving up! That would be hard to do. But it's hard to live in it.

#2426139 - 12/30/17 09:57 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: Alaskan_TA]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By Alaskan_TA
Life gives us tough choices at times.

Due to the economy, I had to sell the T/A or lose the house.

No house, no registries & nowhere to store the records I had been entrusted with.

I miss the car, but I know I made the right choice for myself & others.

Best of luck with whatever decision you need to make.

Another rough one. A T/A is on my bucket list.
And thank you.

#2426140 - 12/30/17 09:58 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: 694406]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By 694406
I've done it, to buy my house about 3 years ago. Sold everything but 1 project. Three years later I'm back up to 4 keepers and a couple more others.

Good luck ,it's in your blood. You'll be back! Lol

There's no way I would get out for good. Just for my own good for a bit...
Did you ship the X9 Swinger?

#2426146 - 12/30/17 10:17 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
QuickDodge Offline
super stock

Loc: Cruising!
Try to think long term. Sometimes that can be difficult, because we do not know the future. Over time, our interests and desires change. There are times to let things we love go. On the other hand, there are some things which we really love, that should be kept if possible.

Back some years ago, I let a Road Runner go. There were other ways to solve the problems at that time. It was an impulsive decision, based partly on frustration. Regret letting that car go today.

Several years before that, I had a rather desirable brand X car. My situation at the time practically forced the sale of that car. Today, I do not miss that car very much.

#2426152 - 12/30/17 10:38 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
parksr5 Offline
mopar

Loc: Oh
Interesting topic; I'm glad you asked the question.

I think about things like this too.

I currently have 3 toys (cars). I've thought about selling 2 of the cars. I purchased one of them less than two years ago; the guy I bought it off of sold it for the reasons you're contemplating. He said that he was fine and had no financial issues but, was to the point where he just wanted to pay everything off, start becoming more strict with his money and set himself up for the future.

The saying You only live once but, you're not dead yet always pops into my head when I think about this topic. Spending money on "x" now can bring happiness but, could have a negative financial impact in the future but, the future could come and then one may regret not doing or buying "x".

Where's that crystal ball?

#2426160 - 12/30/17 10:52 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
469runner Offline
super stock

Loc: Virginia
The trouble is, once something is gone, it is gone. Money comes and goes. When you sell things, the money gets spent on something and it is gone too. I wish I still had the 1971 Cuda' 383 car that I let go in college because I wasn't using it much. This was in 1982, sold it for $800.00 That money is gone and so is the Cuda.

#2426162 - 12/30/17 11:03 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
StukaJU87 Offline
top fuel

Loc: Northern NJ
I'm kind of in that you only live once situation now, with a little bit of a twist medically. Not to go into details, but at this point if I am going to get into an old Mopar, now is the time. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed. Well, maybe tomorrow......but my retirement is six years away, and that is not a guarantee. That is when I was going to treat myself to one.

I just sold my 2010 Challenger R/T and banked the money. I'd love to sell some of my guitars, but there seems to be no market for them locally and I hate shipping them.

I am supposed to go look at a 69 Super Bee next weekend. Don't know if it will be "the one", but it's local and can't hurt looking it over.

1969 Super Bee, 383/4 speed

#2426164 - 12/30/17 11:07 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
Kidsixpack Offline

Loc: Detroit
Interesting question. I’ve never done it. There are ways to get/stay ahead of the game. The number one way is to live within your means. If you can straighten things out without liquidation I would look at that before taking it to the extreme.
KID

www.sixpacksuperbee.homestead.com

This pic. is before the resto.
V2 Hemi orange 69 1/2 Super Bee black buckets console 4spd radio delete.
1989 Turbo Trans Am
1987 Buick GN 11,000 miles

#2426167 - 12/30/17 11:16 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
Silver70 Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Rust Belt, SW PA
I've sold many cars over the years to pay off bills and never regretted it once. Last one I sold was basically to have my must pay bills paid in advance for a couple years... best decision I made in a long time!

#2426171 - 12/30/17 11:21 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: Kidsixpack]
Morty426 Offline
master

Loc: Sacramento CA
Originally Posted By Kidsixpack
Interesting question. I’ve never done it. There are ways to get/stay ahead of the game. The number one way is to live within your means. If you can straighten things out without liquidation I would look at that before taking it to the extreme.
KID

Agree.

Through all of life's challenges never had to resort to this.

It helps to live within your means and be smart with money.

#2426173 - 12/30/17 11:26 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: StukaJU87]
parksr5 Offline
mopar

Loc: Oh
Originally Posted By StukaJU87
I'm kind of in that you only live once situation now, with a little bit of a twist medically. Not to go into details, but at this point if I am going to get into an old Mopar, now is the time. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed. Well, maybe tomorrow......but my retirement is six years away, and that is not a guarantee. That is when I was going to treat myself to one.

I just sold my 2010 Challenger R/T and banked the money. I'd love to sell some of my guitars, but there seems to be no market for them locally and I hate shipping them.

I am supposed to go look at a 69 Super Bee next weekend. Don't know if it will be "the one", but it's local and can't hurt looking it over.

I have that twist too which makes it even more difficult. Being a realist, I don't think I'm going to make it to retirement age. I struggle with the idea of living it up now or playing it safe especially given how fast technology is progressing.

My Dad medically retired at 43 and his retirement fund really came in handy until he eventually passed at 50. If forced to medically retire, having things paid off or having substantial retirement funds will come in handy even though not too many plan to use retirement money at such a young age. His last 7 years would have been real crappy if he didn't have the retirement funds.

By the way, some of those funds were spent right when he retired to buy a 69 Road Runner project which took him around 2 years to get on the road. That was his dream and treat to himself.

#2426178 - 12/30/17 11:36 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
HoosierTA Offline
master

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Sold my Superbird in 1991 or so to pay off bills and thought I would never get it restored. Put me in a financial position to buy a farm in 92. Pretty good move, because it would take lottery winner money for me to sell it.

The move to a new area made friends and acquaintances who helped me gey where I am today.

I can say also, that most people when they sell their classic ride, they are never in a spot to get back in the hobby at the level they were before. If you love your car, and can keep it, do so.

If selling it and some other things makes you debt free, it will change your whole oulook in life. Just remember you will probably be out of the Mopar life forever.

Good luck.

#2426180 - 12/30/17 11:39 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
StukaJU87 Offline
top fuel

Loc: Northern NJ
I don't want to medically retire. I plan on working as long as I can, hopefully to full retirement. Medical retirement is basically 40% and no medical insurance. Can't do that. I'd be homeless. The medical bills are astronomical. Full retirement is 54.5% and full medical.

1969 Super Bee, 383/4 speed

#2426191 - 12/31/17 12:19 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: Silver70]
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here

If you choose to life your life in debt that is your choice. My families well being is more important to me than a car. After I sold my Hemi Charger, my families house was paid for and it was easy to earn enough money to clothe and feed them. Within a year I bought a "lesser" real Hemi car and enjoyed it for ten years. I then ended up buying a Viper which I drive and enjoy every chance I get. If I still owned the matching #s Hemi Charger I would be looking at it more than driving it.
As far as I am concerned I have enjoyed the hobby more and if I had died say ten years ago my wife would not have had any bills to contend with. When you're dead and buried it won't matter what toys you own anyway.

Edited by RUNCHARGER (12/31/17 12:20 AM)

#2426205 - 12/31/17 12:56 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
cudaman1969 Offline
master

Loc: fredericksburg,va
Basically what I'm contemplating right now. I have five unfinished car projects now and I'm 68 years old. I guess I could have finished them all by now if I didn't just enjoy working on them. But that age thing keeps looking back at me and I'm wondering how long I can keep it up. So I just been looking at each to see which are the odd cars out, the one I'll finish and drive, sell the rest. Reality is ill never get close to the value what I have in them, or could have, if finished.
69 M-code Cuda
73 pro streeted Cuda 440
70 Duster 340
69 notch Cuda ??
The winner, I think,
64 Savoy 528 Hemi 4 speed, tubbed, caged
If I was 38 again, hell no to selling!
Also tons of parts, my wife said she'll be rich when I die. LOL

#2426210 - 12/31/17 01:30 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: cudaman1969]
chargervert Offline
master

Loc: RI Deep in the rust belt
I sold off nine project cars in the last year, I still have seventeen of them. I hope to improve my quality of life with a Hellcat Challenger next year!
70 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi 70 Charger R/T convertible 70 Charger R/T V Code Sixpack 69 Charger R/T SE Sunroofcar 68 Charger 383 68 Charger 318 71 Charger R/T 70 Challenger convertible 71 Challenger convertible 71 Cuda 340 09 Challenger R/T Classic

#2426212 - 12/31/17 01:58 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
OhioMopar Offline
master

You all make good points. Thanks for adding your take on it.

#2426218 - 12/31/17 03:12 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: RUNCHARGER]
OhioMopar Offline
master

If you choose to life your life in debt that is your choice. My families well being is more important to me than a car. After I sold my Hemi Charger, my families house was paid for and it was easy to earn enough money to clothe and feed them. Within a year I bought a "lesser" real Hemi car and enjoyed it for ten years. I then ended up buying a Viper which I drive and enjoy every chance I get. If I still owned the matching #s Hemi Charger I would be looking at it more than driving it.
As far as I am concerned I have enjoyed the hobby more and if I had died say ten years ago my wife would not have had any bills to contend with. When you're dead and buried it won't matter what toys you own anyway.

I'm not sure if that was directed at me or someone else. I wasn't disagreeing with you. If it was a matter of car or family, the car would go every time.

#2426222 - 12/31/17 04:27 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
Grizzly Offline
master

Loc: at work
"Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? "

No.

Why would you have to? Use your rainy day savings to improve your situation.

I improved my financial situation first, and then bought what others were liquidating.

Sure works for me, so I'm going to continue with this game-plan. wink

#2426233 - 12/31/17 07:46 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
Trulyvintage Offline
Freighter

Loc: Direct Enclosed Transporter
Going thru a Divorce will answer that for most guys.

Marriage again to the same woman almost immediately after that
and a second divorce will further Educate.

I have lived on next to nothing for so long now
it has become a way of life.

I have learned what you truly value has no price and cannot be taken from you.

Jim drive

#2426240 - 12/31/17 08:10 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
EV2Bird Offline
No more politics

Loc: Kansas Roads Between 0 and 140...
If you leave your car sit, it costs nothing to keep. If you sell it off now figure 2x or better to get back to where you were.

I have zero debt but still go by if I dont put money into my mopars unless I sell off some stashed parts or maybe one day a car or two. But when I do sell off parts its a 70/30 split with the 70% going back into my habit and %30 gets banked.

Good luck whatever you do.

#2426250 - 12/31/17 08:45 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
BSB67 Offline
master

Loc: Prospect, PA
No, I have not.

A decision only you can make. Probably 10 aspects that you need to weigh based on you personal situation and priorities.

I do think what would you do with the money is a key question.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of paying off low interest debt. If I was to liquidate, I would use the money to make money.

#2426258 - 12/31/17 09:19 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
2boltmain Offline
master

Loc: MI Allegan county
You own 1 muscle car? I would not sell unless your health-home-back taxes depended on it. If you own more than one I say by all means cut back. As we get older most of us find it easier financially and physically to put our resources toward one beloved classic.

#2426267 - 12/31/17 09:41 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: Trulyvintage]
Hugh Jorgan Online   boogie
master

Loc: Wills Point, Texas
Originally Posted By Trulyvintage

Amen to that.

#2426291 - 12/31/17 10:39 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: cudaman1969]
340Cuda Offline
top fuel

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Originally Posted By cudaman1969

The winner, I think,
64 Savoy 528 Hemi 4 speed, tubbed, caged

Yep, that's the keeper in my opinion...

Bill

#2426292 - 12/31/17 10:42 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
not_a_charger Offline

Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator

Loc: Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
I've been fortunate enough that I've not HAD to do so...but that's because I work for one of those horrible, scumbag insurance companies, and my wife is a public school teacher, so we're getting fat and happy on the public's dime, according to the Moparts "You are overpaid/underworked, and I am underpaid/overworked" crowd. boogie

I've chosen to sell some stuff in order to keep things stress-free financially. Tuition, college savings, retirement savings, etc...are all more important to us than having multiple toys. My only debt is my mortgage, and it's so cheap that it's not worth paying off right now. I still have my 78 Trans Am and my 82 F250, and my wife still has her 64 Valiant convertible. We've contemplated selling the TA and the Valiant, but haven't decided. I'm probably done with the Mopar muscle car scene, and the Mopar scene in general, though if a screaming deal on a cool car fell into my lap, I'd consider it.

I thought about buying a Scat Pack Challenger, or a Lebanon Ford 727HP Mustang, but can't bring myself to pull the trigger and spend that much money on a car that I will only drive 6 months out of the year. If I were struggling financially, I'd sell whatever possessions I needed to without hesitation. Family comes first. It would certainly be hard to part with some things, but if it had to be done, it would be done.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#2426373 - 12/31/17 12:43 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: not_a_charger]
tboomer Offline

Loc: The frozen wasteland of Iowa
Hmmmm..We don't need to sell anything but as me and the wife get older we have been talking about a new ranch style home. My pride and joy is my 64 Dodge 330 sedan that started out as a low 12.00 bracket car and is now low tens. The Docs won't let me drive it anymore and if I sold it that money would go a long ways to a new basement and if I sold my current split foyer we could pay cash for a new home in the country. work

#2426379 - 12/31/17 12:47 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
Superfreak Offline
master

Loc: the great white north
Selling everything off to start new means you will be spending money right off the hop to get the necessities so how far ahead would you really be by selling the bee. I remember you saying it was/is your dream car. I would keep the car and do what it takes to improve your situation to where you can be comfortable. Unfortunately a lot of people get caught up in the idea that they have to keep up with the Jones's and things can get out of hand. Everyone's situation changes at one time or another and choices must be made. Best of luck with your decision and best wishes for the new year.

#2426385 - 12/31/17 12:52 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
We moved to Mesa, AZ two years ago. At the time I had 6 cars, two of which were projects. Decided I needed to thin the herd a bit. Sold my two wagons, 61 Lancer wagon and a 73 Sat wagon. Sold the 64 Dart convertible as well as the 64 Dart post car. That left me with the 71RR which was restored and the 68 GTS which was in the middle of the restoration. Since I needed a small shop the 71 was sacrificed, sold at auction and the proceeds went to build a modest shop.

Now the 68 GTS is the primary got to have car I've since purchased a 65 Chrysler 300 vert. In a way I'm glad I thinned out but I do sure miss having the wagons.

#2426386 - 12/31/17 12:53 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: tboomer]
cudaman1969 Offline
master

Originally Posted By tboomer
Hmmmm..We don't need to sell anything but as me and the wife get older we have been talking about a new ranch style home. My pride and joy is my 64 Dodge 330 sedan that started out as a low 12.00 bracket car and is now low tens. The Docs won't let me drive it anymore and if I sold it that money would go a long ways to a new basement and if I sold my current split foyer we could pay cash for a new home in the country. work

Houses-property will always last, how much longer will this car "hobby" last? Cars are playthings, real estate is life, what gives you that happy-feel good feeling?

#2426394 - 12/31/17 01:00 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: cudaman1969]
tboomer Offline

Loc: The frozen wasteland of Iowa

Houses-property will always last, how much longer will this car "hobby" last? Cars are playthings, real estate is life, what gives you that happy-feel good feeling?

Ok...Here is my funny for the day!! The happy-feel good feeling?? Peeing out your back door in the country without getting the cops called on you!! Happy New Year!! Ted wave

#2426399 - 12/31/17 01:15 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: tboomer]
fourgearsavoy Online   tonguue

Loc: Rittman Ohio
Well over the past few years medical bills and hospital stays have pretty much depleted whatever savings we had. So now I work my azz off at a flat rate technician job just to keep a cushion in the bank.
I still rely on building the occasional engine or transmission on the side to keep my old Savoy going. I could probably sell my Savoy and put a good chunk of money back in savings but I only have the one car and it makes me smile when I drive it.
If it came down to a roof over my head or a car in the garage the car would have to go. My wife calls the Savoy our retirement money and she's right because I'm never going to put an automatic in it so I'll drive it till I cant push the clutch anymore biggrin

I know I would regret selling my Savoy because it has become part of my identity twocents

Gus beer

Attachments
23231224_1750435168331817_8297307229037431265_n.jpg

Dana 60

#2426404 - 12/31/17 01:23 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: tboomer]
moparpollack Offline
I Live Here

Loc: 85086
Thinned the heard almost 2 years ago to move to Phoenix. Still have toys and just getting back to where I was 2 years ago. The new shop was 3 times as expensive as the old one. The super expensive shop was something I hadn't planned on but living in tornado alley wasn't where I wanted to be. It was worth it in the end as it's 16 degrees and OKC and 55 out here in Phoenix! boogie

#2426413 - 12/31/17 01:36 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
dan9 Offline
super stock

Loc: pa.
I am 67. I have had 100's of cars in my life. I started getting rid of some my old cars about 10 years ago. I was up to 10 old cars (mostly all done). Last year I got down to my 70 Challenger that I decided to keep. I will always keep a car of interest because if I sold it I know it will cost too much to get back into one.

#2426419 - 12/31/17 01:47 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: tboomer]
11secdart Offline
master

Loc: new jersey usa
Back in the late 70s I had an original 73 Duster 340 I took good care of never drove in the winter etc. even drove it to the Car Craft Street Machine Nats. once. I decided at the time to attend community college full time so I sold it to a guy the next town over. He totaled it a week later so hard it cracked the motor mount ears on the block, he was ok me and a friend bought some parts back for a few hundred bucks. turns out full time college wasn`t for me so I went back to work and finished part time and regretted selling the Duster. I didnt work for a year and a half 8 years ago but collected unemployment and before that still was receiving money from a 21 year job i was laid off from. Luckily my wife has a good job and we were ok financially I cut back on racing but still went on occasion. I am looking at retirement in a few years but as I look at my fleet they aren't really worth enough to bring any real money to make a difference except maybe my Dart which i have had for 35 years. I hope to still race even if i have to cut back and work part time.

Attachments
IMG_1068.PNG

Edited by 11secdart (12/31/17 01:48 PM)
2013 Island Dragway Street Eliminator Points Champion
2014 Raceway Park ( R.I.P. 2018 ) 11.50 Index Points Champion

#2426519 - 12/31/17 02:49 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
a12rag Offline
top fuel

Loc: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Life has a way of making you look at things differently at different age. I sold my Duster360 in 1990 to buy my townhouse ... sure did miss the car - I got it in 1984 and restored it, but felt I needed to "be an adult" and get on with life . . . fast forward 3 years, sold the townhouse, bought my Duster back from buddy I sold it to - his wife wanted bigger house and they sold me the car for the $$$ for the house !! . . . sold the Duster 1.5 yrs ago, and have not missed it ! I have my 70 Sport Satellite to play with (along with a few others).

Over the years have had some cool, orphan, mopars that most did not pay huge $$ for - I think I pretty much broke even. Fast forward to today, and retirement looming in 11 years (or sooner - I hope) . . . but really want to pay off the mortgage before I retire - probably will sell off a few cars (have the 70 Sport Satellite, 04 Xfire, 06 Magnum, 64 Falcon ragtop, and a few more) . . .

For me, the hobby has allowed me to meet some awesome people who I can call friends ! So going to the car shows, is more a social thing than car thing. Really doesn't matter what I drive, so long as I can see all these great people !!! . . . but, am pretty sure I will always have some old car to putter around on, and enjoy driving . . . .

Everyone's situation is different, along with what is important to them. Just have to figure out what you feel is important in your life, and then act accordingly !! . . .

Happy New Year To all !!!!

Cheers

Mark

Attachments
Satellite Leth May 2013.jpg

Satellite2 Leth May 2013.jpg

#2426557 - 12/31/17 03:22 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: a12rag]
pittsburghracer Offline
Slowride

Loc: PA.
I had my house and shop for sale during my Divorce in 1998 and after getting talked into it by my listing agent and local bank I refinanced my house and Bought out my retirement, 401K, and house equity, and I am still happy in the same house since 1984. I still have a few low interest loans (2.74 percent ) and a school loan for my son to pay-off yet. I retired in 2010 on a 33 year pension and hopefully will begin collecting 70% of my Social Security when I turn 62 in march of 2018. Looking forward to the raise in monthly pay.
9.73@135.05 mph shifting at 6700 RPM
422 Indy headed small block
6.001@113.27mph
9.44@138.23

Untitled by John Cadamore, on Flickr

#2426718 - 12/31/17 06:59 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: Grizzly]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By Grizzly

No.

Rainy day savings? What are these things you speak of?

#2426721 - 12/31/17 07:04 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: Trulyvintage]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By Trulyvintage
Going thru a Divorce will answer that for most guys.

Marriage again to the same woman almost immediately after that
and a second divorce will further Educate.

I have lived on next to nothing for so long now
it has become a way of life.

Jim drive

The divorce made me dump my long term R/T project. It also taught me to not try to make everything perfect when it's the only muscle car you have to enjoy!

#2426722 - 12/31/17 07:04 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: EV2Bird]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By EV2Bird
If you leave your car sit, it costs nothing to keep. If you sell it off now figure 2x or better to get back to where you were.

I have zero debt but still go by if I dont put money into my mopars unless I sell off some stashed parts or maybe one day a car or two. But when I do sell off parts its a 70/30 split with the 70% going back into my habit and %30 gets banked.

Good luck whatever you do.

Good points as well.

#2426725 - 12/31/17 07:07 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
amxautox Offline

Originally Posted By Grizzly

No.

Rainy day savings? What are these things you speak of?
Too many rainy days here. Not enough savings.

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

#2426726 - 12/31/17 07:07 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: BSB67]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By BSB67
No, I have not.

A decision only you can make. Probably 10 aspects that you need to weigh based on you personal situation and priorities.

I do think what would you do with the money is a key question.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of paying off low interest debt. If I was to liquidate, I would use the money to make money.

Only 10 aspects would be great. Lol.
Then money would only be used to improve my situation. If it were more dire, this would be a no-brainer. But this is just merely do I want to keep going with limited fall-back options, or liquidate and have more fall-back options.

#2426727 - 12/31/17 07:08 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
Alaskan_TA Online   content
Fluffy Balladeer

Loc: Still moving in.
Not everyone has savings.

I did.

I also had income from a rental property.

Broken back in 2003, renters not paying rent, property payments, could not work due to the injury.

Full coverage health insurance that was evidently not really 'full'.

The part they did not pay was close to 120K & I was not able to work for 3 months.

It was devastating financially.

It took 11 years to wipe the debt out, but I did it.

Sometimes, life throws stuff at us & we gotta do what we gotta do.

Every set of circumstances is different.

I do miss the T/A though........

#2426741 - 12/31/17 07:15 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: 2boltmain]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By 2boltmain
You own 1 muscle car? I would not sell unless your health-home-back taxes depended on it. If you own more than one I say by all means cut back. As we get older most of us find it easier financially and physically to put our resources toward one beloved classic.

I only own one true muscle car. The other one is something anyone with a credit score or a down payment can get. But it is comfy.

#2426745 - 12/31/17 07:18 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: not_a_charger]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By not_a_charger
I've been fortunate enough that I've not HAD to do so...but that's because I work for one of those horrible, scumbag insurance companies, and my wife is a public school teacher, so we're getting fat and happy on the public's dime, according to the Moparts "You are overpaid/underworked, and I am underpaid/overworked" crowd. boogie

I've chosen to sell some stuff in order to keep things stress-free financially. Tuition, college savings, retirement savings, etc...are all more important to us than having multiple toys. My only debt is my mortgage, and it's so cheap that it's not worth paying off right now. I still have my 78 Trans Am and my 82 F250, and my wife still has her 64 Valiant convertible. We've contemplated selling the TA and the Valiant, but haven't decided. I'm probably done with the Mopar muscle car scene, and the Mopar scene in general, though if a screaming deal on a cool car fell into my lap, I'd consider it.

I thought about buying a Scat Pack Challenger, or a Lebanon Ford 727HP Mustang, but can't bring myself to pull the trigger and spend that much money on a car that I will only drive 6 months out of the year. If I were struggling financially, I'd sell whatever possessions I needed to without hesitation. Family comes first. It would certainly be hard to part with some things, but if it had to be done, it would be done.

You also have that huge moderator paycheck coming in. So that has to count for somthing...

#2426747 - 12/31/17 07:21 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: tboomer]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Any chance to put the 30 back on the street detuned?

#2426752 - 12/31/17 07:26 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: Superfreak]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By Superfreak
Selling everything off to start new means you will be spending money right off the hop to get the necessities so how far ahead would you really be by selling the bee. I remember you saying it was/is your dream car. I would keep the car and do what it takes to improve your situation to where you can be comfortable. Unfortunately a lot of people get caught up in the idea that they have to keep up with the Jones's and things can get out of hand. Everyone's situation changes at one time or another and choices must be made. Best of luck with your decision and best wishes for the new year.

It has become my dream car since owning it. It was supposed to be B5/B7. But after having it for a while, and seeing how many B5 cars are out there, I like the uniqueness of it being black. I wouldn't like getting rid of it, but there are worse things in life than being without a car. I am just not experiencing any of those right now! Lol.

#2426757 - 12/31/17 07:29 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
cudaman1969 Offline
master

"It also taught me to not try to make everything perfect when it's the only muscle car you have to enjoy! "
This is what I'm thinking also, a guy said years ago, it's still cool to everybody no matter what it looks like. Just drive it.

#2426758 - 12/31/17 07:30 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: fourgearsavoy]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By fourgearsavoy
Well over the past few years medical bills and hospital stays have pretty much depleted whatever savings we had. So now I work my azz off at a flat rate technician job just to keep a cushion in the bank.
I still rely on building the occasional engine or transmission on the side to keep my old Savoy going. I could probably sell my Savoy and put a good chunk of money back in savings but I only have the one car and it makes me smile when I drive it.
If it came down to a roof over my head or a car in the garage the car would have to go. My wife calls the Savoy our retirement money and she's right because I'm never going to put an automatic in it so I'll drive it till I cant push the clutch anymore biggrin

I know I would regret selling my Savoy because it has become part of my identity twocents

Gus beer

You have a great car for sure. Of course you wouldn't put an automatic in it. That is reserved for the guys who try to take the least talented route to racing. grin

#2426762 - 12/31/17 07:32 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: cudaman1969]
OhioMopar Offline
master

"It also taught me to not try to make everything perfect when it's the only muscle car you have to enjoy! "
This is what I'm thinking also, a guy said years ago, it's still cool to everybody no matter what it looks like. Just drive it.

I have enjoyed it a lot in its rough state. I could do without the whole "smell like exhaust every time I drive it" thing, but I can work through that without tearing every nut and bolt out of it.

#2426767 - 12/31/17 07:37 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: moparpollack]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By moparpollack
Thinned the heard almost 2 years ago to move to Phoenix. Still have toys and just getting back to where I was 2 years ago. The new shop was 3 times as expensive as the old one. The super expensive shop was something I hadn't planned on but living in tornado alley wasn't where I wanted to be. It was worth it in the end as it's 16 degrees and OKC and 55 out here in Phoenix! boogie

Finishing the new shop would make things much easier for me. I have the ability to supplement my income out of the garage.

Attachments
garagemahal01.jpg

#2426770 - 12/31/17 07:39 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: dan9]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By dan9
I am 67. I have had 100's of cars in my life. I started getting rid of some my old cars about 10 years ago. I was up to 10 old cars (mostly all done). Last year I got down to my 70 Challenger that I decided to keep. I will always keep a car of interest because if I sold it I know it will cost too much to get back into one.

I had lofty goals of a large collection. But I think if I keep it, an A and maybe E body stablemate would get me by. In the future.

#2426773 - 12/31/17 07:40 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
not_a_charger Offline

Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator

Loc: Puttin' on the foil in Charles...

You also have that huge moderator paycheck coming in. So that has to count for somthing...

I was hoping you wouldn't point that out. The insurance guy/teacher wife makes me hated enough as it is.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#2426777 - 12/31/17 07:42 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: not_a_charger]
OhioMopar Offline
master

I was hoping you wouldn't point that out. The insurance guy/teacher wife makes me hated enough as it is.

hahahaha Some people should lighten up. Although I've always felt insurance is a crooked racket. But that's hardly your fault!

#2426834 - 12/31/17 08:37 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
Streetwize Offline
master

Loc: Weddington, N.C.
I would sell things as you speak of if you have a Specific and Viable PLAN that will set you on the proper path to what you really want....otherwise, without a plan, most people find themselves exchanging one set of stuff for another eventual set of stuff with little or no real improvement to their life or situation. Take your time to really decide what is really important and let those new goals guide you.

Bottom line is evaluate your wants and your needs and remember....once you throw the poker hand in to pick up a new hand, you still have to play it out with skill to win.

Maybe instead of a wholesale liquidation, maybe consider selling the material things you least need or think you have for perhaps the wrong reasons.....take that cash and reapply it to some goal (such as paying off high interest debt) and see if it can set you getting closer to your goals....in other words try a 'Tiered' or 'step by step' strategy. Start by building a new strong financial fondation, then build up from there.

Rome wasn't built in a day....if you sell everything all at once it might (possibly) lead to confusion, remorse (if you don't actually net what you originally hoped for) or hesitation.....plan your new path and goals and take action, and then gauge whether each action brings you closer or further away from what your new goal is.

I highly recommend the book "the millionaire next door"....lots of wisdom and practical common sense tips in there, it's whether you look at $$$ to accumulate Stuff or to build assets that can compound and grow wealth and can eventually sustain themselves. I was also very fortunate a friend of mine lent me the booklet called "Common Sense" by A.L. Williams some 30 years ago....learning about the magic of compound interest in my impressionable early 20's changed my life.

The key is, it can be a fun challenge and the lessons learned are teachable to your kids and friends!!

Edited by Streetwize (12/31/17 08:47 PM)

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0

#2426844 - 12/31/17 08:52 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: Streetwize]
OhioMopar Offline
master

I'll look into that book. Thank you. You make some very good points.

#2426914 - 12/31/17 11:37 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
Dcuda69 Offline
master

Loc: WI
I bought my B'cuda as a basket back in the early 90s with the idea that I'd jam a motor in it and send it on it's way. Well I did a bit more but it'll still never be worth a ton and I'm glad. It needs a bunch more trim tlc but I'm not doing it. I like the car and am not buried in it. Selling it would not make me any farther ahead...spending more on those trim pieces will put me behind so I enjoy the car the way it is. Everything in moderation! lol

Bought the wife a toy a few years after getting the 'cuda running. Again,it could use some tlc but we would rather bank the money and enjoy the car as is. This one is for sale now as we don't use it as much as we should.

#2427144 - 01/01/18 12:35 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: not_a_charger]

Well it's a well known fact that all mods get free parts and service from all Moparts sponsors whistling

Gus beer
Dana 60

#2427156 - 01/01/18 12:47 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: Dcuda69]
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here

Dcuda: I see myself doing a car like yours in the future. I think it is a good way to enjoy the hobby. It is always tempting to restore a car to a high degree but at the end of it all you don't enjoy it as much as a car you can drive and enjoy without putting booties on the pedals.

#2427379 - 01/01/18 05:36 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: RUNCHARGER]

Dcuda: I see myself doing a car like yours in the future. I think it is a good way to enjoy the hobby. It is always tempting to restore a car to a high degree but at the end of it all you don't enjoy it as much as a car you can drive and enjoy without putting booties on the pedals.

iagree Exactly! I beat my car every time I drive it and I never worry about who leans on it or where I park it thumbs

Gus beer
Dana 60

#2427402 - 01/01/18 06:18 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
Supercuda Offline
I Live Here

I will tell you what I tell my son. A man has to do what a man has to do.

#2427405 - 01/01/18 06:23 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: RUNCHARGER]
a12rag Offline
top fuel

Loc: Calgary, Alberta Canada

I built my Sport Satellite to drive . . . even though I think it turned out more like a high degree car . . . if it is on the trailer, it is either broken or stolen ! . . .

Cheers,

Mark

#2427410 - 01/01/18 06:33 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
TB3CUDA Offline
super stock

sold all my roadrunners 72 73 74 and now selling all my used parts will be buying a 2016 scatpack challenger in the spring.

#2427418 - 01/01/18 06:49 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: TB3CUDA]
chargervert Offline
master

Loc: RI Deep in the rust belt
Originally Posted By TB3CUDA
sold all my roadrunners 72 73 74 and now selling all my used parts will be buying a 2016 scatpack challenger in the spring.

I had 26 project Mopars last year. I junked two that were too far gone,a 73 Satellite and a 73 Charger. I sold a 70 Charger shell,a 71 Road runner clone,and a 73 big block Charger. I have another 70 Charger roller I got sold too. I have a 68 Charger roller that someone is looking at next weekend. I got a 71 383 Charger SE that another friend of mine wants to buy. I did buy a 71 Charger R/T shell,from a Moparts member and a 79 Little Red Express truck from my friend,so I still got twenty of them. I plan on selling off a few more to get down to about fifteen of them. I am in my mid fifties so I have to be realistic about how many of them I can build! I plan on buying a used Hellcat 6 speed Challenger within the next year.
70 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi 70 Charger R/T convertible 70 Charger R/T V Code Sixpack 69 Charger R/T SE Sunroofcar 68 Charger 383 68 Charger 318 71 Charger R/T 70 Challenger convertible 71 Challenger convertible 71 Cuda 340 09 Challenger R/T Classic

#2427448 - 01/01/18 07:47 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: chargervert]
Nukechargerboy Offline
super stock

Loc: Ossining, New York
I have one car for the hobby. I couldn't imagine parting with my charger because of the time and money invested, plus the kids want it when I croak. I understand some aren't as fortunate as I have been so if I had to sell it to stay in my house I guess I would. I would definitely have more cars if I had more room, that will probably be changing in the next few years.

#2427458 - 01/01/18 08:10 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
carcrazyguy Offline
master

Loc: Texas
Yep....sold everything off...3 times so far. First time was in my mid 20’s because I wanted to buy a house and get married. So I sold off everything nice and bought a 75 Dodge longbed truck for a daily driver. Started adding cars back a year or two later as I could afford them. Then sold everything off again in 2004 to pay for more schooling for my wife. Bought a 93 Dodge shortbed for a daily driver. Then started adding cars again as I could afford them. The last sell off was a couple of years ago and I sold 5 restored cars (all redone while I owned them) and 36 unrestored cars/trucks. This last sell off was to make life much more simple and to allow us to invest in my wife’s career and help start a business. It has been just over a year since the business opened and we are still not buying anything we can’t eat! LOL. Life is much much more simple not having all the cars to keep up, keep insured and tagged, lights all working, batteries charged....yada yada yada. Hopefully one day the business will pay off and I can buy another old Mopar but this next time I am waiting until I can afford an investment grade car that is either done or a very well documented car that needs restored to a high level.

#2427650 - 01/02/18 08:41 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
McCandlessboy Offline
super stock

I have followed one simple rule to keep me out of financial trouble with toys/hobbies. If you can't buy 2 of them with cash, don't buy 1 of them. That's obviously on the buy side. On the selling side, if you have something that has strong value, say 50-60k it may make sense to move off of it. You can buy nicely appointed cars in the 20-25k range, allowing you to pocket 40k. Had this been done a year ago, your 40k would be close to 50k right now. As long as you're realistic about your situation and what your car ACTUALLY costs you, only you can decide what is right. People rarely know true cost of ownership. From maintenance, time, insurance, etc.

Be honest what about your car is worth as well. Countless times people hang on to a belief their car is worth X, only to find it's X - 20%.

#2427704 - 01/02/18 10:40 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: 469runner]
DaytonaTurbo Offline

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted By 469runner
The trouble is, once something is gone, it is gone. Money comes and goes. When you sell things, the money gets spent on something and it is gone too.

I've had that problem too. Sell the thing, then the thing is gone, soon after the money is gone and then I have no money and no thing. The ONLY way this has ever worked out for me is if I sell something then immediately reuse that money to meet some specific objective. Otherwise it gets wasted too easily.

#2427738 - 01/02/18 11:40 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
Silver70 Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Rust Belt, SW PA
When I get money, I try and buy something I know I can sell later for the same or more... otherwise same deal, money just gets blown and end up with nothing. Last large sale, to control my spending, I put the money in an account I can't take $ out of easily.

#2428567 - 01/03/18 08:14 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: TB3CUDA]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By TB3CUDA

I bought the '16 Scatpack a year ago. What an awesome machine. Not quite as awesome in the winter, however.

#2428572 - 01/03/18 08:20 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: McCandlessboy]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By McCandlessboy
I have followed one simple rule to keep me out of financial trouble with toys/hobbies. If you can't buy 2 of them with cash, don't buy 1 of them. That's obviously on the buy side. On the selling side, if you have something that has strong value, say 50-60k it may make sense to move off of it. You can buy nicely appointed cars in the 20-25k range, allowing you to pocket 40k. Had this been done a year ago, your 40k would be close to 50k right now. As long as you're realistic about your situation and what your car ACTUALLY costs you, only you can decide what is right. People rarely know true cost of ownership. From maintenance, time, insurance, etc.

Be honest what about your car is worth as well. Countless times people hang on to a belief their car is worth X, only to find it's X - 20%.

If I used that philosophy, I likely wouldn't buy anything. Which may not be such a bad thing, I guess.
On the selling side, my car is probably still worth what I paid for it 4 years ago, possibly even less since it left its cushy Georgia climate and has been stuck in the winter hell that is Ohio for three winters now. I don't have an overly high opinion of what it's worth, but man, if it was done... A triple black N-96 4-speed console/buckets has to be at or near the top of the 383 food chain. I can't think of a way it would be optioned better.(other than having a stripe, disc brakes, a 26" radiator and 3.91 gears)

#2428593 - 01/03/18 08:34 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
Originally Posted By McCandlessboy

If I used that philosophy, I likely wouldn't buy anything. Which may not be such a bad thing, I guess.
On the selling side, my car is probably still worth what I paid for it 4 years ago, possibly even less since it left its cushy Georgia climate and has been stuck in the winter hell that is Ohio for three winters now. I don't have an overly high opinion of what it's worth, but man, if it was done... A triple black N-96 4-speed console/buckets has to be at or near the top of the 383 food chain. I can't think of a way it would be optioned better.(other than having a stripe, disc brakes, a 26" radiator and 3.91 gears)

I think you have a cool car worth keeping. I still kick myself for not buying your 70 340 Swinger

Edited by dart4forte (01/03/18 08:35 PM)

#2428684 - 01/03/18 11:22 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
NV69B7RR Offline
master

Loc: Reno, Nevada
To answer your question, yes I have. There are things more important than cars in life. Cars come and go. Finding a new car is always fun and something new will always come along.

A big question is how much longer will our hobby exist with whole autonomous car push coming.

I would try to keep the Bee over the Challenger if it came down to it. The Challenger would be much easier to replace.

A great book to read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" if you haven't already.

#2428686 - 01/03/18 11:26 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
stumpy Offline

Loc: Grand Prairie,Texas
I did but she still got me for alimony. You know the screwing you get for the screwing you got.

#2428692 - 01/03/18 11:42 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: NV69B7RR]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By NV69B7RR

I would try to keep the Bee over the Challenger if it came down to it. The Challenger would be much easier to replace.

A great book to read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" if you haven't already.

The Challenger would go if it were possible at this point. It's not right now.
I need to make a list of the books recommended to me on here. There are a lot of well read people here with good insight.

#2428709 - 01/04/18 12:08 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
poorboy Offline
master

Loc: Freeport IL USA
Selling stuff doesn't work out very well for me. Every time I need to sell something, it seems 100 more of the same item become available instantly and mine becomes worthless.

The Dave Ramsey book helped me a bunch. Gene

#2428711 - 01/04/18 12:11 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: poorboy]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By poorboy
Selling stuff doesn't work out very well for me. Every time I need to sell something, it seems 100 more of the same item become available instantly and mine becomes worthless.

The Dave Ramsey book helped me a bunch. Gene

I've never been very good at selling things, either. If I absolutely have to sell it, it will sell for way less than other people can get out of it. If it sells at all.

#2428924 - 01/04/18 12:33 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
second 70 Offline

Loc: central il.
This is a tricky question because you have to be honest with yourself about your saving and spending habits plus the circumstances

I know people who can downsize and improve their daily lives and I know others that will be worse off in a matter of days. I know people who took out loans on a paid off houses just because interest is low even thou they didn’t need to.

My parents were both born in 1920 & 1921 and taught us to live within our means and if we wanted to buy something save the money and then after you have it take a week to see if you still think you want it after seeing how much work it was to save. My brother and I learned this lesson well while my sister could spend everything she gets her hands on and have nothing to show for it. My mother will be 97 in March and is living on her own savings. Based on her cost of living she has enough to make it to 110.

So it comes down to if you’re willing to do without what you’re downsizing then it’s wonderful to live debt free. But if you can’t then it’s not a good idea because the money and whatever you sold will both be gone.

Mike

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Forum Stats
25,248 Registered Members
32 Forums
188,864 Topics
2,202,441 Posts

Most users ever online: 882 @ 03/05/17 10:15 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
non linear Fuel sending unit source