Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2426178 - 12/30/17 11:36 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
HoosierTA Offline
master

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Sold my Superbird in 1991 or so to pay off bills and thought I would never get it restored. Put me in a financial position to buy a farm in 92. Pretty good move, because it would take lottery winner money for me to sell it.

The move to a new area made friends and acquaintances who helped me gey where I am today.

I can say also, that most people when they sell their classic ride, they are never in a spot to get back in the hobby at the level they were before. If you love your car, and can keep it, do so.

If selling it and some other things makes you debt free, it will change your whole oulook in life. Just remember you will probably be out of the Mopar life forever.

Good luck.

#2426180 - 12/30/17 11:39 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
StukaJU87 Offline
top fuel

Loc: Northern NJ
I don't want to medically retire. I plan on working as long as I can, hopefully to full retirement. Medical retirement is basically 40% and no medical insurance. Can't do that. I'd be homeless. The medical bills are astronomical. Full retirement is 54.5% and full medical.

1969 Super Bee, 383/4 speed

#2426191 - 12/31/17 12:19 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: Silver70]
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Chilliwack B.C. Canada
If you choose to life your life in debt that is your choice. My families well being is more important to me than a car. After I sold my Hemi Charger, my families house was paid for and it was easy to earn enough money to clothe and feed them. Within a year I bought a "lesser" real Hemi car and enjoyed it for ten years. I then ended up buying a Viper which I drive and enjoy every chance I get. If I still owned the matching #s Hemi Charger I would be looking at it more than driving it.
As far as I am concerned I have enjoyed the hobby more and if I had died say ten years ago my wife would not have had any bills to contend with. When you're dead and buried it won't matter what toys you own anyway.

Edited by RUNCHARGER (12/31/17 12:20 AM)

#2426205 - 12/31/17 12:56 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
cudaman1969 Online   sleepy
master

Loc: fredericksburg,va
Basically what I'm contemplating right now. I have five unfinished car projects now and I'm 68 years old. I guess I could have finished them all by now if I didn't just enjoy working on them. But that age thing keeps looking back at me and I'm wondering how long I can keep it up. So I just been looking at each to see which are the odd cars out, the one I'll finish and drive, sell the rest. Reality is ill never get close to the value what I have in them, or could have, if finished.
69 M-code Cuda
73 pro streeted Cuda 440
70 Duster 340
69 notch Cuda ??
The winner, I think,
64 Savoy 528 Hemi 4 speed, tubbed, caged
If I was 38 again, hell no to selling!
Also tons of parts, my wife said she'll be rich when I die. LOL

#2426210 - 12/31/17 01:30 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: cudaman1969]
chargervert Offline
master

Loc: RI Deep in the rust belt
I sold off nine project cars in the last year, I still have seventeen of them. I hope to improve my quality of life with a Hellcat Challenger next year!
70 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi 70 Charger R/T convertible 70 Charger R/T V Code Sixpack 69 Charger R/T SE Sunroofcar 68 Charger 383 68 Charger 318 71 Charger R/T 70 Challenger convertible 71 Challenger convertible 71 Cuda 340 09 Challenger R/T Classic

#2426212 - 12/31/17 01:58 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Loc: Mt.Gilead, Ohio
You all make good points. Thanks for adding your take on it.

Looking for my original 383 block. Last seen around the Atlanta area. 7449 are the last 4 of the VIN.

#2426218 - 12/31/17 03:12 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: RUNCHARGER]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Loc: Mt.Gilead, Ohio
Originally Posted By RUNCHARGER
If you choose to life your life in debt that is your choice. My families well being is more important to me than a car. After I sold my Hemi Charger, my families house was paid for and it was easy to earn enough money to clothe and feed them. Within a year I bought a "lesser" real Hemi car and enjoyed it for ten years. I then ended up buying a Viper which I drive and enjoy every chance I get. If I still owned the matching #s Hemi Charger I would be looking at it more than driving it.
As far as I am concerned I have enjoyed the hobby more and if I had died say ten years ago my wife would not have had any bills to contend with. When you're dead and buried it won't matter what toys you own anyway.

I'm not sure if that was directed at me or someone else. I wasn't disagreeing with you. If it was a matter of car or family, the car would go every time.

#2426222 - 12/31/17 04:27 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
Grizzly Offline
master

Loc: at work
"Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? "

No.

Why would you have to? Use your rainy day savings to improve your situation.

I improved my financial situation first, and then bought what others were liquidating.

Sure works for me, so I'm going to continue with this game-plan. wink

#2426233 - 12/31/17 07:46 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
Trulyvintage Offline
Freighter

Loc: Direct Enclosed Transporter
Going thru a Divorce will answer that for most guys.

Marriage again to the same woman almost immediately after that
and a second divorce will further Educate.

I have lived on next to nothing for so long now
it has become a way of life.

I have learned what you truly value has no price and cannot be taken from you.

Jim drive

#2426240 - 12/31/17 08:10 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
EV2Bird Online   penguin-006
No more politics

Loc: Kansas Roads Between 0 and 140...
If you leave your car sit, it costs nothing to keep. If you sell it off now figure 2x or better to get back to where you were.

I have zero debt but still go by if I dont put money into my mopars unless I sell off some stashed parts or maybe one day a car or two. But when I do sell off parts its a 70/30 split with the 70% going back into my habit and %30 gets banked.

Good luck whatever you do.

#2426250 - 12/31/17 08:45 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
BSB67 Offline
master

Loc: Prospect, PA
No, I have not.

A decision only you can make. Probably 10 aspects that you need to weigh based on you personal situation and priorities.

I do think what would you do with the money is a key question.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of paying off low interest debt. If I was to liquidate, I would use the money to make money.

#2426258 - 12/31/17 09:19 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
2boltmain Offline
master

Loc: MI Allegan county
You own 1 muscle car? I would not sell unless your health-home-back taxes depended on it. If you own more than one I say by all means cut back. As we get older most of us find it easier financially and physically to put our resources toward one beloved classic.

#2426267 - 12/31/17 09:41 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: Trulyvintage]
Hugh Jorgan Offline
master

Loc: Wills Point, Texas
Originally Posted By Trulyvintage
I have learned what you truly value has no price and cannot be taken from you.

Amen to that.

#2426291 - 12/31/17 10:39 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: cudaman1969]
340Cuda Offline
top fuel

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Originally Posted By cudaman1969

The winner, I think,
64 Savoy 528 Hemi 4 speed, tubbed, caged

Yep, that's the keeper in my opinion...

Bill

#2426292 - 12/31/17 10:42 AM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
not_a_charger Offline

Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator

Loc: Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
I've been fortunate enough that I've not HAD to do so...but that's because I work for one of those horrible, scumbag insurance companies, and my wife is a public school teacher, so we're getting fat and happy on the public's dime, according to the Moparts "You are overpaid/underworked, and I am underpaid/overworked" crowd. boogie

I've chosen to sell some stuff in order to keep things stress-free financially. Tuition, college savings, retirement savings, etc...are all more important to us than having multiple toys. My only debt is my mortgage, and it's so cheap that it's not worth paying off right now. I still have my 78 Trans Am and my 82 F250, and my wife still has her 64 Valiant convertible. We've contemplated selling the TA and the Valiant, but haven't decided. I'm probably done with the Mopar muscle car scene, and the Mopar scene in general, though if a screaming deal on a cool car fell into my lap, I'd consider it.

I thought about buying a Scat Pack Challenger, or a Lebanon Ford 727HP Mustang, but can't bring myself to pull the trigger and spend that much money on a car that I will only drive 6 months out of the year. If I were struggling financially, I'd sell whatever possessions I needed to without hesitation. Family comes first. It would certainly be hard to part with some things, but if it had to be done, it would be done.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#2426373 - 12/31/17 12:43 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: not_a_charger]
tboomer Online   happy

Loc: The frozen wasteland of Iowa
Hmmmm..We don't need to sell anything but as me and the wife get older we have been talking about a new ranch style home. My pride and joy is my 64 Dodge 330 sedan that started out as a low 12.00 bracket car and is now low tens. The Docs won't let me drive it anymore and if I sold it that money would go a long ways to a new basement and if I sold my current split foyer we could pay cash for a new home in the country. work

#2426379 - 12/31/17 12:47 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
Superfreak Offline
master

Loc: the great wet north
Selling everything off to start new means you will be spending money right off the hop to get the necessities so how far ahead would you really be by selling the bee. I remember you saying it was/is your dream car. I would keep the car and do what it takes to improve your situation to where you can be comfortable. Unfortunately a lot of people get caught up in the idea that they have to keep up with the Jones's and things can get out of hand. Everyone's situation changes at one time or another and choices must be made. Best of luck with your decision and best wishes for the new year.

#2426385 - 12/31/17 12:52 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
We moved to Mesa, AZ two years ago. At the time I had 6 cars, two of which were projects. Decided I needed to thin the herd a bit. Sold my two wagons, 61 Lancer wagon and a 73 Sat wagon. Sold the 64 Dart convertible as well as the 64 Dart post car. That left me with the 71RR which was restored and the 68 GTS which was in the middle of the restoration. Since I needed a small shop the 71 was sacrificed, sold at auction and the proceeds went to build a modest shop.

Now the 68 GTS is the primary got to have car I've since purchased a 65 Chrysler 300 vert. In a way I'm glad I thinned out but I do sure miss having the wagons.

#2426386 - 12/31/17 12:53 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: tboomer]
cudaman1969 Online   sleepy
master

Loc: fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted By tboomer
Hmmmm..We don't need to sell anything but as me and the wife get older we have been talking about a new ranch style home. My pride and joy is my 64 Dodge 330 sedan that started out as a low 12.00 bracket car and is now low tens. The Docs won't let me drive it anymore and if I sold it that money would go a long ways to a new basement and if I sold my current split foyer we could pay cash for a new home in the country. work

Houses-property will always last, how much longer will this car "hobby" last? Cars are playthings, real estate is life, what gives you that happy-feel good feeling?

#2426394 - 12/31/17 01:00 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: cudaman1969]
tboomer Online   happy

Loc: The frozen wasteland of Iowa
Originally Posted By cudaman1969
Originally Posted By tboomer

Houses-property will always last, how much longer will this car "hobby" last? Cars are playthings, real estate is life, what gives you that happy-feel good feeling?

Ok...Here is my funny for the day!! The happy-feel good feeling?? Peeing out your back door in the country without getting the cops called on you!! Happy New Year!! Ted wave

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Forum Stats
25,346 Registered Members
32 Forums
190,225 Topics
2,219,620 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Wall Street Journal reviews past global warming predictions
by DaveRS23
06/22/18 09:58 AM
Big gas bare heads?
by fbs63
06/22/18 09:38 AM
Can this crack in this hemi block be repaired?
by Challenger 1
06/22/18 09:19 AM
Mopar Connection’s “Orange Crush” Dart Hits The Summit Show
by Rustymuscle
06/22/18 09:12 AM