Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2426072 - 12/30/17 07:30 PM Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation?
OhioMopar Offline
master

Loc: Mt.Gilead, Ohio
Just like the title says... Did you ever sell everything off and improve your financial situation? I've been contemplating a similar move for a while now. It would be virtually impossible to find another Bee optioned the way mine is, and I love the car. But the idea of being comfortable is one that is pretty common lately. I'm not destitute, financially ruined, or in any trouble. Just wondering if anyone went from "ok" to "much happier" by the less-is-more method?
Thanks!

Looking for my original 383 block. Last seen around the Atlanta area. 7449 are the last 4 of the VIN.

#2426076 - 12/30/17 07:37 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
astjp2 Offline
master

Loc: Utah and Alaska
I have been extremely poor, as in living on ramen noodles and a macdonalds hamburger for food every day, I still have my 68 Charger that I bought when I was 19. I have sold off other things too, but I always seem to lose when I sell things...so realistically, I just learn to live with my current means until things get better. Tim
1998 Wrangler
2008 Kia Rio
2017 Jetta

I didn't do 4 years and 9 months of Graduate School to be called Mister!

#2426078 - 12/30/17 07:37 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

Loc: On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
I've got stuff for sale that I don't use anymore. Couple cars, car projects, and such. Soon I may start selling some of my tools, and car lift.

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

#2426079 - 12/30/17 07:37 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
OhioMopar Offline
master

I, also, never do super when I sell stuff.

Looking for my original 383 block. Last seen around the Atlanta area. 7449 are the last 4 of the VIN.

#2426080 - 12/30/17 07:38 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: amxautox]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By amxautox
I've got stuff for sale that I don't use anymore. Couple cars, car projects, and such. Soon I may start selling some of my tools, and car lift.

But no boats or fishing rods?

#2426081 - 12/30/17 07:39 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

Loc: On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
Originally Posted By OhioMopar
Originally Posted By amxautox

But no boats or fishing rods?
HECK NO!!! I use those almost every day during the spring summer and fall. And sorta often during the winter. boogie

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

#2426086 - 12/30/17 07:46 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: amxautox]
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Chilliwack B.C. Canada
When I left the Railway I didn't know how things were going to go so I sold my beloved Hemi Charger to pay my house off. Sometimes responsibility sucks but if it is important you have to do it. I miss the car but faced with the same situation, I would do it again.

Attachments
hemicharger.jpg

Edited by RUNCHARGER (12/30/17 07:47 PM)

#2426108 - 12/30/17 08:24 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer

Loc: Moredoor, PA
Life gives us tough choices at times.

Due to the economy, I had to sell the T/A or lose the house.

No house, no registries & nowhere to store the records I had been entrusted with.

I miss the car, but I know I made the right choice for myself & others.

Best of luck with whatever decision you need to make.

#2426136 - 12/30/17 09:50 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
694406 Offline
top fuel

Loc: St.Louis, MO
I've done it, to buy my house about 3 years ago. Sold everything but 1 project. Three years later I'm back up to 4 keepers and a couple more others.

Good luck ,it's in your blood. You'll be back! Lol

1969 Cuda 383 Q5
1969 Cuda 340 4-spd Notch
1969 GTS Black on White 340 4-spd
1971 Cuda 383 V2, X9 Billboards, White Top!

#2426138 - 12/30/17 09:56 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: RUNCHARGER]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By RUNCHARGER
When I left the Railway I didn't know how things were going to go so I sold my beloved Hemi Charger to pay my house off. Sometimes responsibility sucks but if it is important you have to do it. I miss the car but faced with the same situation, I would do it again.

That is a way nicer car than what I would be giving up! That would be hard to do. But it's hard to live in it.

#2426139 - 12/30/17 09:57 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: Alaskan_TA]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By Alaskan_TA
Life gives us tough choices at times.

Due to the economy, I had to sell the T/A or lose the house.

No house, no registries & nowhere to store the records I had been entrusted with.

I miss the car, but I know I made the right choice for myself & others.

Best of luck with whatever decision you need to make.

Another rough one. A T/A is on my bucket list.
And thank you.

#2426140 - 12/30/17 09:58 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: 694406]
OhioMopar Offline
master

Originally Posted By 694406
I've done it, to buy my house about 3 years ago. Sold everything but 1 project. Three years later I'm back up to 4 keepers and a couple more others.

Good luck ,it's in your blood. You'll be back! Lol

There's no way I would get out for good. Just for my own good for a bit...
Did you ship the X9 Swinger?

#2426146 - 12/30/17 10:17 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
QuickDodge Offline
super stock

Loc: Cruising!
Try to think long term. Sometimes that can be difficult, because we do not know the future. Over time, our interests and desires change. There are times to let things we love go. On the other hand, there are some things which we really love, that should be kept if possible.

Back some years ago, I let a Road Runner go. There were other ways to solve the problems at that time. It was an impulsive decision, based partly on frustration. Regret letting that car go today.

Several years before that, I had a rather desirable brand X car. My situation at the time practically forced the sale of that car. Today, I do not miss that car very much.

#2426152 - 12/30/17 10:38 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
parksr5 Offline
mopar

Loc: Oh
Interesting topic; I'm glad you asked the question.

I think about things like this too.

I currently have 3 toys (cars). I've thought about selling 2 of the cars. I purchased one of them less than two years ago; the guy I bought it off of sold it for the reasons you're contemplating. He said that he was fine and had no financial issues but, was to the point where he just wanted to pay everything off, start becoming more strict with his money and set himself up for the future.

The saying You only live once but, you're not dead yet always pops into my head when I think about this topic. Spending money on "x" now can bring happiness but, could have a negative financial impact in the future but, the future could come and then one may regret not doing or buying "x".

Where's that crystal ball?

#2426160 - 12/30/17 10:52 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
469runner Offline
super stock

Loc: North Carolina
The trouble is, once something is gone, it is gone. Money comes and goes. When you sell things, the money gets spent on something and it is gone too. I wish I still had the 1971 Cuda' 383 car that I let go in college because I wasn't using it much. This was in 1982, sold it for $800.00 That money is gone and so is the Cuda.

#2426162 - 12/30/17 11:03 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
StukaJU87 Offline
master

Loc: Northern NJ
I'm kind of in that you only live once situation now, with a little bit of a twist medically. Not to go into details, but at this point if I am going to get into an old Mopar, now is the time. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed. Well, maybe tomorrow......but my retirement is six years away, and that is not a guarantee. That is when I was going to treat myself to one.

I just sold my 2010 Challenger R/T and banked the money. I'd love to sell some of my guitars, but there seems to be no market for them locally and I hate shipping them.

I am supposed to go look at a 69 Super Bee next weekend. Don't know if it will be "the one", but it's local and can't hurt looking it over.

1969 Super Bee, 383/4 speed

#2426164 - 12/30/17 11:07 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
Kidsixpack Offline

Loc: Detroit
Interesting question. I’ve never done it. There are ways to get/stay ahead of the game. The number one way is to live within your means. If you can straighten things out without liquidation I would look at that before taking it to the extreme.
KID

www.sixpacksuperbee.homestead.com

This pic. is before the resto.
V2 Hemi orange 69 1/2 Super Bee black buckets console 4spd radio delete.
1989 Turbo Trans Am
1987 Buick GN 12,000 miles
1995 Lightning red 1/695
1995 Lightning white 1/761

#2426167 - 12/30/17 11:16 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: OhioMopar]
Silver70 Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Rust Belt, SW PA
I've sold many cars over the years to pay off bills and never regretted it once. Last one I sold was basically to have my must pay bills paid in advance for a couple years... best decision I made in a long time!

#2426171 - 12/30/17 11:21 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: Kidsixpack]
Morty426 Offline
master

Loc: Sacramento CA
Originally Posted By Kidsixpack
Interesting question. I’ve never done it. There are ways to get/stay ahead of the game. The number one way is to live within your means. If you can straighten things out without liquidation I would look at that before taking it to the extreme.
KID

Agree.

Through all of life's challenges never had to resort to this.

It helps to live within your means and be smart with money.

#2426173 - 12/30/17 11:26 PM Re: Did you ever liquidate to improve your situation? [Re: StukaJU87]
parksr5 Offline
mopar

Loc: Oh
Originally Posted By StukaJU87
I'm kind of in that you only live once situation now, with a little bit of a twist medically. Not to go into details, but at this point if I am going to get into an old Mopar, now is the time. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed. Well, maybe tomorrow......but my retirement is six years away, and that is not a guarantee. That is when I was going to treat myself to one.

I just sold my 2010 Challenger R/T and banked the money. I'd love to sell some of my guitars, but there seems to be no market for them locally and I hate shipping them.

I am supposed to go look at a 69 Super Bee next weekend. Don't know if it will be "the one", but it's local and can't hurt looking it over.

I have that twist too which makes it even more difficult. Being a realist, I don't think I'm going to make it to retirement age. I struggle with the idea of living it up now or playing it safe especially given how fast technology is progressing.

My Dad medically retired at 43 and his retirement fund really came in handy until he eventually passed at 50. If forced to medically retire, having things paid off or having substantial retirement funds will come in handy even though not too many plan to use retirement money at such a young age. His last 7 years would have been real crappy if he didn't have the retirement funds.

By the way, some of those funds were spent right when he retired to buy a 69 Road Runner project which took him around 2 years to get on the road. That was his dream and treat to himself.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,538 Registered Members
32 Forums
194,154 Topics
2,267,981 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
HOW MUCH are you going to throw at the LOTTO ....
by Doc Fiberglass
Yesterday at 11:54 PM
1971 Challenger A78 question.
by challenger6pack
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
Valve spring surface rust
by 72sat
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
Race Ramps?
by davenc
Yesterday at 09:57 PM