Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2425856 - 12/30/17 12:23 PM Contemplating a move - need a reality check
calmopar Offline
I Live Here

Loc: East Bay, N. Cal.
I've lived in California my whole life. I'm thinking about moving out of state for a few reasons. I want to bounce this off anyone who has also left the golden state as well as anyone else who might have some insight.

Background: 55, 2 kids (8 and 6). Divorced, split custody time with their mom 50/50. Own home, have an online business that I can run from anywhere.

Why I am considering moving:

Financial: CA is expensive and getting more so every year. I am having trouble saving, which is a sign of a real problem.

Social/Political: Times, they are a changin' and even in my little town the newly elected city council is embracing policies that ruin quality of life (for me). On a state-wide level, a couple of ballot initiatives have made property crime basically unpunishable and the expected results are taking form. Our school district now coddles the violent kids and tells the victims they have to show empathy, etc. There's some weird kool-aid everyone seems to have been drinking and I want no part of it.

What I am thinking: Move to the WA/OR border, on the WA side.

Why there?:

Financial: WA has no state income tax. That's a big help! I can shop in OR where there is no sales tax, which preserves post-tax income. The general cost of living is lower, and in particular housing is much cheaper than in our ridiculous town. I would rent out the house I live in now, rent out my small commercial space, and buy a new place in WA. Even with a conservative penciling, I'll be able to pay a new mortgage and come out ahead monthly. If I finish out the little apartment I have under our house that'll bring in even more every month.

Social/Political: Well I am not too sure about that part of WA, but the schools seem great, the kind of goofiness I am trying to avoid seems to be in Portland mainly without leaking out into the suburbs. My kids are nice and very social and should have no problem making new friends. The school policies and curriculum (a decent litmus test for a community's values) are encouraging and don't show any red flags.

Except for giving up some sunshine and dealing with more rain and cold, it seems like it might be the thing to do. We do love our neighbors and that will be a stinging loss, but I just have the feeling that it's time to hit the road. My brother moved to NY and never looked back, my sister to Oregon a few years ago where she is very happy. I am the only one to stick here in CA and am starting to question why.

Oh and if anyone knows anything good or bad about Camas, WA, please let me know! Happy New Year, Moparts.

#2425863 - 12/30/17 12:31 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
rapom Offline
top fuel

Loc: Northern OH
My sister moved to Post Falls Idaho which is next to Spokane, Washington and they like it there. When she moved there 15 years ago the housing was very affordable. Not so much now with a lot of west coasters moving in.
That being said, Idaho tends to lean more conservative which sounds what you might be looking for.

#2425866 - 12/30/17 12:37 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Fresno, CA
Politics are similar in WA and OR. Consider all of the tax implications and custody implications. Idaho has better politics, but I would be bored (I don't hunt or fish). I've considered moving, but everything adds up to staying here for the foreseeable future.

#2425868 - 12/30/17 12:38 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
Kidsixpack Offline

Loc: Detroit
How does 50/50 custody work if you move out of state?
KID

www.sixpacksuperbee.homestead.com

This pic. is before the resto.
V2 Hemi orange 69 1/2 Super Bee black buckets console 4spd radio delete.
1989 Turbo Trans Am
1987 Buick GN 12,000 miles
1995 Lightning red 1/695
1995 Lightning white 1/761

#2425870 - 12/30/17 12:43 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Kidsixpack]
JonC Offline
master

Loc: Millinocket, Maine
Originally Posted By Kidsixpack
KID

I agree with Kid, in my divorce my wife took the kids to Conecticut. Over 400 Miles and was not good for the kids or me at all.

#2425875 - 12/30/17 12:57 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Kidsixpack]
DaytonaTurbo Offline

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
KID

That was my question too. The kids can't be switching schools every other week so how does this work out with their mom?

#2425903 - 12/30/17 01:23 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
CKessel Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Los Osos, Ca
My wife and I are looking to go to Sequim Wa and leave the PRC behind. We want to get away from family issues, been dealing with that for almost 20 yrs, leave to heat and humidity behind, we've had electric bills approaching $800 per month running the a/c and a host of other things we have had enough of. The weather there is supposed to be like San Diego as its in the rain shadow of the Olympics, although this season its been unusual. The one major drawback to being there is the problem child here, master chef who likes to stir the pot and plant lies in peoples minds[ she's quite the convincer with her b/s] is on face bag with a relative who lives there that we met last month. I did see and hear that there is quite a bit of auto stuff going on there which makes me happy. We are going to have another boots on the ground look to see if thats the place for us. We are both giving our notices at work next week and will go from there. I will run my job out to the end of the month so my employer can find a replacement but he has shown that he can be vindictive and toss people out soon after the notice is given.

#2425912 - 12/30/17 01:36 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Kidsixpack]
calmopar Offline
I Live Here

KID

Ex and her new husband are on board for the move - staying here where I am is financially tough for them. Here they are dumping $3100/month on rent and don't have enough for a downpayment. In WA, they can buy a place and be in much better shape. Both should be able to find work in PDX, which is a short commute or at least the same as what they do now. I figure if we make this move, the sooner the better for the kids.

Edited by calmopar (12/30/17 01:39 PM)

#2425914 - 12/30/17 01:38 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: rapom]
MidPenMopar Offline
Looking for fun? Keep looking

Loc: South San Francisco, Californi...
Originally Posted By rapom
My sister moved to Post Falls Idaho which is next to Spokane, Washington and they like it there. When she moved there 15 years ago the housing was very affordable. Not so much now with a lot of west coasters moving in.
That being said, Idaho tends to lean more conservative which sounds what you might be looking for.

I have three car club friends that moved to Idaho. One picked Twin Falls and says she loves the place!!

Got a brand new 4 bedroom, 3 bath, 3 car garage for $310,000

Stu

Check out our MPM Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/122972991051550/

#2425941 - 12/30/17 02:23 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
AeroMonte Offline
master

Loc: S.E. Missouri
We left Ca in 1988 when we had our first child. Moved to Missouri where the cost of living is CHEAP!. Both of our sons turned out good and productive. I don't regret leaving at all. We visited in 2006 and saw that we made the right choice. I don't make as much money, but it doesn't cost me much to live either. I can pay a mortgage, drive a new truck and pay all my taxes and insurance as well as all my house bills on $3000 a month. I couldn't pay rent in Santa Cruz on that.

#2425949 - 12/30/17 02:39 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
EV2Bird Offline
No more politics

Loc: Kansas Roads Between 0 and 140...
I think your leaving one spot for what will be another trouble spot before your life is over. Alot of nice places mentioned that are still nice were much nicer 20 years ago.

Not sure what you do for work but states like Wyoming, Kansas, Nebraska are very much wide open and Im able to save so much yearly because of the overall cost of living being even 25% under the national average.

I have zero debt and if I take my mopar addiction out of the picture what I live well on yearly is far less the some even pay a year in property tax in some of the east and left coasts.

#2425953 - 12/30/17 02:42 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: EV2Bird]
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer

Loc: -
(I've been to Kearney...

I heard some trains...

Walked through Cabela's...

#2425956 - 12/30/17 02:48 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
Morty426 Offline
master

Loc: Sacramento CA
Make sure the X is fully committed to this plan as you will tied to her for the next 12 years.

Also don't forget to drop off those two cars on your way out of State smile

Plus the farther North you get in this State the cheaper it is. Your in the heart of the Bay Area where the costs are terrible.

Also do you want to deal with Property that will be 1000 miles away?

#2425969 - 12/30/17 03:07 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
CompSyn Offline
super stock

Loc: Pacific NW USA
As a few others have said, similar politics in WA, OR. I live in Idaho and would suggest you look at various areas in Idaho. By the way, you don't have to hunt, fish, or be into farm animals to be an Idahoan. LOL. Oh! And we do have electricity and indoor plumbing too...

If you like bigg-er city life, try Boise area of one the suburbs. Also. Post Falls / Coeur d'Alene area, Beautiful country and a short drive to Spokane with lots of things to do and see.

Think I just saw a headline on Drudge, something like Idaho is the fastest growing State. Probably something to it.

#2425981 - 12/30/17 03:26 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer

Loc: Moredoor, PA
I made a huge move over 4 years ago, no regrets.

For the rentals & management, do some asking around. Some real estate agents manage rentals for home owners & it can be well worth the fee.

#2425987 - 12/30/17 03:47 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Jim_Lusk]
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
Originally Posted By Jim_Lusk
Politics are similar in WA and OR. Consider all of the tax implications and custody implications. Idaho has better politics, but I would be bored (I don't hunt or fish). I've considered moving, but everything adds up to staying here for the foreseeable future.

It's a tossup. WA and OR have tree hugging, cool aid drinking governors. WA does have a split legislature which does keep some of the really crazy stuff at bay. West side of WA State is becoming more and more like California. As far as the Columbia Gorge area, not bad but a lot of low income, lack of employment etc.

Take a look at Bend, Oregon or Redmond, OR. Their growth has slowed but still a pretty nice area. Four seasons but it's cold and snowy in the winters there. Columbia Gorge weather has lots of wind, sometimes snow but in the Spring and Summer it's nice. Oh, and the fires. They got hit pretty bad this past summer and fall.

Forgot to mention, Wildcat Auto Wreaking is just down the road

Edited by dart4forte (12/30/17 03:48 PM)

#2425999 - 12/30/17 04:22 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: dart4forte]
Neil Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Eagle, Idaho
Idaho weather in the winter can be nasty. Unless you ski, snowmobile, etc. plan on staying indoors from mid-November to March. Figure never seeing anything over 35 degrees for the high temp for 3-4 months.

Big reason people like to move here is no real gun laws. People here just don't have a gun, they have closets full of them. I don't own one and that puts me in the minority.

I have relatives who live in east Washington by the Columbia and they are looking to leave. Expensive everything and miserable winters with freezing rain and fog.

I lived in Medford Oregon for about a year. Winter was much more tame than Idaho. Plenty of mary jane users, homeless people, etc. Many kids in my high school were heavy into weed as it's everywhere. I have been to Portland a few times, but have no desire to live there. Too crowded for my tastes.

How about Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah?

Edited by Neil (12/30/17 04:23 PM)

#2426008 - 12/30/17 04:45 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Neil]
CompSyn Offline
super stock

Loc: Pacific NW USA
Originally Posted By Neil
Idaho weather in the winter can be nasty. Unless you ski, snowmobile, etc. plan on staying indoors from mid-November to March. Figure never seeing anything over 35 degrees for the high temp for 3-4 months.

Well, there are some milder places too in Idaho...

I live in a northern panhandle valley area. Today it's 50 degrees and sunny. Down right t-shirt weather. The Christmas snow is melting away.

Granted, this is a bit atypical for this time of the year, but in general, it's a lot more mild than some other places.

#2426031 - 12/30/17 05:51 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
SeventyGTX Offline

Loc: Fallon, Nv
We moved to northern Nevada from the Sacramento area over 12 years ago. LOVE the small town atmosphere and wide open spaces, but HATE the long very cold winters. Average lows are in the teens in Dec/Jan, but have seen it as low as -15. It doesn't really get above freezing temps at night until May, then in spring its insane wind.

So, we are planning on getting out, maybe to Texas or Georgia so my wife can be closer to her son in Ft Lauderdale Florida. Those two states do not tax retirement income. Florida doesn't either, so we may look at the panhandle where housing is much cheaper than south Fl. Biggest issue with those states though is summer heat and humidity. But I will take that over this intense cold any day.

We may even head down to Pahrump Nevada which would be a lot easier move and much warmer winters. We don't even consider Wa or Or because of their politics. Idaho is nice, but again, pretty rough winters. No matter where you go, you will not enjoy the weather you have now.

#2426043 - 12/30/17 06:16 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
SV_MOPARS Offline
super stock

Loc: simi valley,califOnia
a friend moved to oregon 4 years ago, he is now in show low arizona, i warned him about oregon, i guess he had to find out the hard way. if you have not been to prescott arizona yet, find some time and check it out, 5200 ft elevation makes all 4 seasons quite comfortable, chino valley [just a few miles from downtown prescott] is more affordable, or you can live in the pines if you don't mind a little more snow. the people, politics and geographical location of this area sounds like it might suit your fancy, it does mine, buying some property there this spring.

Edited by SV_MOPARS (12/30/17 06:17 PM)

#2426071 - 12/30/17 07:28 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: SV_MOPARS]
GB5andGY8 Offline
mopar

Loc: California's Tri-Valley
Have lived in Northern Nevada, Idaho, and Washington State, all courtesy of the military. Some of Western Washington, especially the Seattle-area, has similar issues (social-justice, homeless policies, pot, crime, etc.) to those you think you'll be leaving behind in the East Bay. My own experience was that I found Washington state to grow more conservative the farther east I went. Right now, I am living in the Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore area myself, and I can tell you that there is also a difference out here as compared to being directly on the Bay, on the west end of Alameda County.

My wife and I are both Univ. of Idaho grads and we loved Moscow, ID for the five years we were there. We've considered moving back and it typically wouldn't get a really heavy snow season but once out of every 3-4 years. Meanwhile, another buddy is also trying to get me to relocate to Wenatchee, WA, but he says it is also getting yuppie-fied there, too and the property prices have become inflated.

Best firearms policies were in Nevada, by far. I also miss riding in the open desert sometimes, and I think that state has the most BLM land to explore if you are so inclined.

I have been married for 25 years to the same woman, so can't comment on your custody issues and which state would make it easier to visit kids, etc.

Good luck with your decision.

#2426117 - 12/30/17 08:56 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
BloFish Offline

Loc: Lake Oroville
Location, location, location, weather, weather, weather, Northern California wave

'65 A100
'69 Barracuda
'06 Mega Cab 2500
'14 Mercedes-Benz SLK

#2426118 - 12/30/17 09:00 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: BloFish]
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

Loc: On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
Originally Posted By BloFish
Location, location, location, weather, weather, weather, Northern California wave
As long as there is enough rain to keep the reservoir filled. grin

How has retirement been for yourself?

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

#2426123 - 12/30/17 09:08 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
BloFish Offline

Actually Tom, I just hung up the belt this afternoon after 29.496 years, my hips need a rest laugh2

'65 A100
'69 Barracuda
'06 Mega Cab 2500
'14 Mercedes-Benz SLK

#2426129 - 12/30/17 09:14 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: BloFish]
amxautox Offline

Oh, well congratulations. thumbs

Here I thought it was in Sept. No wonder you hadn't posted about it yet. laugh2

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

#2426130 - 12/30/17 09:28 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: GB5andGY8]
SeventyGTX Offline

Loc: Fallon, Nv
Originally Posted By GB5andGY8

Best firearms policies were in Nevada, by far. I also miss riding in the open desert sometimes, and I think that state has the most BLM land to explore if you are so inclined.

thumbs

#2426141 - 12/30/17 09:58 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
QuickDodge Offline
super stock

Loc: Cruising!
I lived in California over 25 years ago. I LOVED the weather in California!!! For some unknown reason, I felt better (physically) living there, than in any other state.

I have read that western Washington and Oregon have a rainy climate. The change in climate may affect you or someone else in your family. Moving from a wonderful climate to a cloudy, rainy climate may be more difficult than expected.

#2426147 - 12/30/17 10:18 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
astjp2 Offline
master

Loc: Utah and Alaska
Head to Las Vegas...cheap living and lots of work...
1998 Wrangler
2008 Kia Rio
2017 Jetta

I didn't do 4 years and 9 months of Graduate School to be called Mister!

#2426157 - 12/30/17 10:50 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: SeventyGTX]
Tom_440 Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Originally Posted By SeventyGTX
Originally Posted By GB5andGY8

thumbs

Yes! Took out the RZR today and tore up the Nellis Dunes just outside of Vegas and a stones through from the Las Vegas Speedway. Mid 60's and blue sunny skies! I gave up So Cal and surfing for affordable life, no state tax and toys with lots of places to play with them.

#2426168 - 12/30/17 11:18 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: BloFish]
Morty426 Offline
master

Actually Tom, I just hung up the belt this afternoon after 29.496 years, my hips need a rest laugh2

Congrats!

#2426170 - 12/30/17 11:21 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
BloFish Offline

Thank you, now I have time to visit your stable wave

'65 A100
'69 Barracuda
'06 Mega Cab 2500
'14 Mercedes-Benz SLK

#2426172 - 12/30/17 11:23 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: BloFish]
Morty426 Offline
master

Thank you, now I have time to visit your stable wave

Yes you do. I found a friend from Long Island wants to come out this Spring and come check it out.

#2426179 - 12/30/17 11:37 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Neil]
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Portage,michigan

Big reason people like to move here is no real gun laws. People here just don't have a gun, they have closets full of them. I don't own one and that puts me in the minority.

I have relatives who live in east Washington by the Columbia and they are looking to leave. Expensive everything and miserable winters with freezing rain and fog.

I lived in Medford Oregon for about a year. Winter was much more tame than Idaho. Plenty of mary jane users, homeless people, etc. Many kids in my high school were heavy into weed as it's everywhere. I have been to Portland a few times, but have no desire to live there. Too crowded for my tastes.

I just looked up average highs for Boise. November, 48..... Dec
and Jan 37.....Feb 44...... sounds pretty mild to me compared to the upper midwest. Not sure where you came up with it rarely getting over 35. The hundred plus year averages sure dont support your statement.

How about Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah?

#2426183 - 12/31/17 12:03 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
topside Offline
I Live Here

Loc: So Near, Yet So Far
I looked at AZ, WA, OR, NV, and UT before a buddy took me on a trip to northern Idaho. I'd moved back to the SF Bay area and was really bummed how the State had deteriorated from the '60s - '80s...politically, manners, respect for property & others...anyway, I fell in love with ID; where I live is a lot like Mayberry RFD compared to everywhere else I've lived.
Yeah, we get some pretty snowy & cold winters.
Expenses are WAY lower than CA, for basically everything.
It's out of the way for stuff like having a car hauled, and you have to be pretty self-reliant.
Better people on average than anywhere else I've been.
Another buddy (member "MadMatt") moved to the Boise area and loves it.
The observations so far on WA & OR are accurate; I'd add that both States are drier, more rural, and more conservative in the East than the West sides.

#2426187 - 12/31/17 12:17 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard

Loc: Spokane Washington
I was born and raised in Northern CA (several places, Santa Rosa, Pleasant Hill, Willows, Red Bluff, etc.). I will always love the diversity, the weather, and many other things. That said, what killed it for me boils down to people. Too many, too much traffic, political system that's out of control, and the cost of living.

In my adult life I have traveled extensively throughout the USA, many beautiful places and things to see or visit. I CHOSE to live in Spokane because it offered me the best overall life style. Not over crowded, 4 season climate (its NOT raining here all the time like the Western side of the state!) cost of living is as low as it gets anywhere habitable, great airport, good restaurants, nice downtown with many scenic places to see, a lot of out door activities, and a fun car scene. I doubt I'll ever leave the place. You should check it out, come up for a visit and I'll show you around.

#2426195 - 12/31/17 12:24 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: topside]
Neil Offline
I Live Here

Lived here for awhile and those temps sound too high to me. The temperatures are recorded from the airport, which is a few degrees warmer than the lower part of the valley. Downtown Boise is in a hole. Snow on the ground around Thanksgiving weekend until the end of February is always a possibility.

Last winter pic. Not Midwest type winter, but still not nice.

#2426200 - 12/31/17 12:41 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard

Yes, Spokane temps are recorded at the airport and highs and lows are usually higher/lower there because it's located up on the Western plain (more arid and windy there). The city proper and surrounding areas are in the valley below. First snow usually comes around Thanksgiving and warmer temps usually arrive in early March. Its a bearable winter, snow comes and goes, usually not all that much piles up for long in most years.

#2426225 - 12/31/17 05:32 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: ScottSmith_Harms]
Jeremiah Offline
master

Loc: Rogue River, OR
If you are not used to cold, rainy winters I would be cautious of moving anywhere near Portland. Down here in the Southern part of the state the dark rainy winters can negatively affect people especially if they are not used to it.

Personally I am kind of a "is what it is" type of person so as long as we are making money or having fun I'm a happy camper.

On the other end of the spectrum it is advisable to now look at the fire dangers as well in the area you are interested in relocating. We had a dark, smoky end of the Summer and people were starting to act like they had the winter doldrums. Actually it was worse in the summer when everyone expects to be able to recreate.

Whatever you decide to do I don't envy your position. Trying to satisfy that many people could be tough over time depending on how individually resilient each party is. Going from a sunny, pleasant place with a view to a dark and rainy place does suite many people well as said above. Especially if you commute to work or actually have to leave the office to do your job. "Snow complicates things" : )

Scott - Your description makes me want to move to Spokane!

#2426706 - 12/31/17 06:38 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
TJP Offline
master

Loc: Omaha Ne
I left Ca. 23 years ago and have never regretted it. A lot of the friends I have out their that are natives to the state are leaving all for the same reasons. I would only add to consider Nevada or Arizona when deciding. twocents beer

#2426944 - 01/01/18 01:04 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
SomeCarGuy Offline
master

Loc: Someplace you aren't
If you need to make a move, do it. I hated living one place so so so bad, it made life just miserable. Both the people and the weather. We bailed and I don’t regret it even the slightest.

You have the kids issue, which makes my next comment not really apply. I’d be wary of moving anywhere on the west coast. CA has polluted so many places out there. Guys in AZ for instance talk of the Californiacation. CO. Not to mention the other coast states are not far behind. The way it’s going, I wouldn’t trust any conservative power base to last out that way. You know what happens next. I don’t get why people flee an area, only to want to remake the new place in the same mold.

#2426957 - 01/01/18 03:40 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
Frankenduster Offline
Moparts proctologist

Loc: Granite Bay CA
People bash California for the higher taxes and stupid politics...Yeah, I get that.
What if neither of those issues outweigh the great weather, great scenery, having mountains, an ocean, racetracks and lots of project cars and parts within reach?
I love the weather. mid 60s all week here with high 30s for overnight lows. There is NO way I'd tolerate snow or humidity like you other guys do. I can work on stuff outside every day of the year. I don't need snow boots, I don't have to change my shirt 10 times a day in the summer either. High taxes? Yeah, that sucks but I make enough to get by okay. We don't have mosquitoes the size of small birds.

#2427026 - 01/01/18 10:23 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Frankenduster]
Jeremiah Offline
master

Loc: Rogue River, OR
What you said right there is what I often think when people talk about CA being this and that. It's daaaaaaaaamn nice in a ton of ways. As far as weather goes you folks have it all however as the OP said it seems to be getting harder for the average 40-50 hour a week person to get by on a less that stellar occupation, especially if you don not own your home.

We visited Great Grandma in South SF a month ago. Her nice, old 3bed/2bath house was worth something over a million dollars. While that is cool I don't have crime and my shop is bigger than her lot and our yard is larger than that neighborhood lol. Bottom line is it would be tough to match the lifestyle we have here in that economic climate.

Oh, I don't wear skinny jeans either so it's better for me to stay out of CA until that fad blows over. Unless capri's are next.

#2427096 - 01/01/18 11:44 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Frankenduster]
Morty426 Offline
master

Originally Posted By Frankenduster
People bash California for the higher taxes and stupid politics...Yeah, I get that.
What if neither of those issues outweigh the great weather, great scenery, having mountains, an ocean, racetracks and lots of project cars and parts within reach?
I love the weather. mid 60s all week here with high 30s for overnight lows. There is NO way I'd tolerate snow or humidity like you other guys do. I can work on stuff outside every day of the year. I don't need snow boots, I don't have to change my shirt 10 times a day in the summer either. High taxes? Yeah, that sucks but I make enough to get by okay. We don't have mosquitoes the size of small birds.

LOL - you're one of the main ones bashing the politics and taxes. laugh

That set aside I remember when my best friend told me "The reason I don't leave the Bay Area is because the money is to good." He was right. If you have the right skill set you can make a ton of money here.

Another example would be the housing market. Years ago my former boss left Texas and sold his house for $300k. He bought a house in Elk Grove, CA for 300K. Seven years later his house in EG was worth $750K, his former home in Texas was $300,500. Now the guys is a Director at Apple living in Half Moon Bay with more money than God.

#2427119 - 01/01/18 12:03 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
hosehead Offline
top fuel

Loc: Pasadena, california
The leaving California topic is always a hot one around my house. Yeah the taxes, politics, etc are ridiculous but I will miss a lot of things about it when I leave. Racing all year is nice. I ran my car on Thursday in short sleeves.
Thing thing I can't understand is how people get so mad about Californians moving to their state. Living here for twenty years, one thing I've noticed is the MASSIVE amount of Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, etc license tags you see. I think half the people here in Southern California are from somewhere else. I understand that people get pissed about Californians leaving and buying up properties in their state, but believe me, it's a two way street. TONS of people from other states come here to live also.
That being said, I'm ready to leave. laugh2 lots of great people here, just too many of them. I'll hopefully be outta here in a year or two. Cash out of our overpriced house and move somewhere more rural. Don't be mad at me, I'm from Oklahoma. up

#2427122 - 01/01/18 12:06 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
calmopar Offline
I Live Here

The cold weather and rain is an issue in OR/WA and we're also looking at Austin, TX. The main things are 1) good schools, 2) lower cost of living especially housing, 3) good quality of life (recreation/community/outdoors/low crime), and 4) strong job market for ex and her husband (they are both in tech, he's a developer, she's a game artist).

I worked in Boise and also Spokane years ago and liked both cities. I am sure they look quite different from when I saw them last 30 years ago.

I spent some time in Austin and found it to my liking, but youtube videos of the entertainment sections on weekends isn't very promising - seems a little rowdy.

#2427158 - 01/01/18 12:47 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
BloFish Offline

The grass isn’t always greener twocents

'65 A100
'69 Barracuda
'06 Mega Cab 2500
'14 Mercedes-Benz SLK

#2427161 - 01/01/18 12:49 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
QuickBpBp Offline
master

Loc: SE PA.
I Only read what plans you thought about in your first post. Me personally I would sell all properties in California if you plan on leaving. Long distance renting can become a problem rather quickly. Sounds like your neighborhood is going down hill and property values also will follow. Also renters that would rent in areas that this is happening to typically become part of the problem in the area or don't stay for long. It very easily could become a long distance headache dealing with maintenance, new renters/bad renters or no renters. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

#2427166 - 01/01/18 12:53 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: QuickBpBp]
chargervert Offline
master

Loc: RI Deep in the rust belt
Leave Cali for the wacko lefties,that way when it breaks off the mainland and floats away,they can have their own island of misfit toys!
70 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi 70 Charger R/T convertible 70 Charger R/T V Code Sixpack 69 Charger R/T SE Sunroofcar 68 Charger 383 68 Charger 318 71 Charger R/T 70 Challenger convertible 71 Challenger convertible 71 Cuda 340 09 Challenger R/T Classic

#2427179 - 01/01/18 01:00 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
Supercuda Offline
I Live Here

Loc: up yours
Stay there

#2427184 - 01/01/18 01:03 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Frankenduster]
QuickBpBp Offline
master

Originally Posted By Frankenduster

Lots of people enjoy seasons and some don't which is fine to each is own. That being said besides politics, Besides the taxes, Besides the millions of Illegal immigrants, Besides the rising crime rate, Besides the Hollywood types, Besides the drought conditions, Besides water issues, Besides the Wild Forest fires, Besides Earth quakes, Besides heavy storms and mud slides, Besides the southern beaches filled with Mexico's feces washing in daily and Japan's radioactive trash still heading to the coast from 2011 I think they are plenty of better places to live....

#2427211 - 01/01/18 01:28 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: QuickBpBp]
azmopar Offline

Loc: NO RUST IN AZ!!!
cmon over to the AZ for a visit, lots of diverse area, as in northern az for the 4 seasons, and were only a 6 hr drive away from the beach up

and a lot less crazy on the political version of which you are trying to get away from

#NONIKESEVER

A Real man aint afraid to drive PINK!!!!

67 Plymouth Valiant PILOT CAR 273 Commando 4 spd

#2427244 - 01/01/18 02:19 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: QuickBpBp]
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer

Originally Posted By QuickBpBp
That being said besides politics, Besides the taxes, Besides the millions of Illegal immigrants, Besides the rising crime rate, Besides the Hollywood types, Besides the drought conditions, Besides water issues, Besides the Wild Forest fires, Besides Earth quakes, Besides heavy storms and mud slides, Besides the southern beaches filled with Mexico's feces washing in daily and Japan's radioactive trash still heading to the coast from 2011 I think they are plenty of better places to live....

Bullseye...

I've cruised Van Nuys...

Been to the Troubadour...

Stayed at the Hollywood&Vine Motel...

But to drop anchor there???

There ain't enough $$$ printed...

#2427258 - 01/01/18 02:34 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard

Serge,

I spent time in Austin in the mid 90's. I liked it for a few reasons, weather, scenery, lots of night life, food, close to some larger cities for big city fun, etc.. But after visiting recently I noticed something I didn't really care for. Mainly? I'm older now and felt like a square peg in a round hole culturally and age group wise. I can see people in the 21-35 age group really liking it there, sort of a hipster vibe downtown. Not for me.. .02

#2427277 - 01/01/18 03:06 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: QuickBpBp]
TJP Offline
master

Loc: Omaha Ne
Originally Posted By QuickBpBp

Lots of people enjoy seasons and some don't which is fine to each is own. That being said besides politics, Besides the taxes, Besides the millions of Illegal immigrants, Besides the rising crime rate, Besides the Hollywood types, Besides the drought conditions, Besides water issues, Besides the Wild Forest fires, Besides Earth quakes, Besides heavy storms and mud slides, Besides the southern beaches filled with Mexico's feces washing in daily and Japan's radioactive trash still heading to the coast from 2011 I think they are plenty of better places to live....

you forgot the traffic / congestion LOL stirthepot beer

#2427322 - 01/01/18 04:07 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
Supercuda Offline
I Live Here

Austin of the mid 90's bears zero relationship to Austin of today.

#2427347 - 01/01/18 04:39 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Supercuda]
tboomer Offline

Loc: The frozen wasteland of Iowa
And the weasels in Texas are still small.... laugh2

#2427396 - 01/01/18 06:09 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard

Supercuda, yep, I agree hence my comments

#2427401 - 01/01/18 06:15 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
Supercuda Offline
I Live Here

I was back there a couple of months ago for a week, job related.

Coworkers took me to Whole Foods for lunch one day. What a freak show that was.

They were trying to talk me into transferring there.

Not going to happen. I will quit and go back to climbing wind turbines or fracking first.

#2427741 - 01/02/18 11:42 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: hosehead]
feets Offline
Senior Management

Loc: Irving, TX
Originally Posted By hosehead

Thing thing I can't understand is how people get so mad about Californians moving to their state.

It's pretty simple.

The disease that has infected California is in the minds of the people who elect the officials and keep them in office. They also are the people who vote for those crazy ideas and laws that have turned the state into the disaster it has become.

California is beautiful but the people have destroyed it.

Now that it is becoming uninhabitable for so many they are fleeing the state and taking their diseased mindset with them. They then pollute the new community and slowly start turning it into the disaster they once fled.

#2427744 - 01/02/18 11:45 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: feets]
Guitar Jones Offline
master

Loc: in a cattle trailer down by th...
Originally Posted By feets

Thing thing I can't understand is how people get so mad about Californians moving to their state.

It's pretty simple.

The disease that has infected California is in the minds of the people who elect the officials and keep them in office. They also are the people who vote for those crazy ideas and laws that have turned the state into the disaster it has become.

Now that it is becoming uninhabitable for so many they are fleeing the state and taking their diseased mindset with them. They then pollute the new community and slowly start turning it into the disaster they once fled.

Yep, it's like New Yorkers moving here to Florida, just stay where you are and we'll all be happier.

#2427751 - 01/02/18 11:56 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: ScottSmith_Harms]
EV2DEMON Offline
master

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
Serge,

I spent time in Austin in the mid 90's. I liked it for a few reasons, weather, scenery, lots of night life, food, close to some larger cities for big city fun, etc.. But after visiting recently I noticed something I didn't really care for. Mainly? I'm older now and felt like a square peg in a round hole culturally and age group wise. I can see people in the 21-35 age group really liking it there, sort of a hipster vibe downtown. Not for me.. .02

Austin proper and East Austin are a bit of a freak show these days. I get the whole "Keep Austin Weird" thing, but they're really trying too hard.

That said, there are plenty of areas west and south of town, all the way down to San Marcos, that are plenty habitable without having to deal with the panhandling (it's embarrassingly bad in Austin), traffic, and other issues of the city. It's interesting how much the culture and politics change just a few blocks out of town.

Austin (and Texas in general) are growing like crazy, so plenty of opportunity. I've got siblings in both Dallas and Austin. Every winter, I come closer to picking up and heading down myself.

#2427776 - 01/02/18 12:42 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
TC@HP2 Offline
master

Loc: Pikes Peak Country
Certainly the impact on the kids with a shared custody arrangement needs to be a primary factor in the decision process. I personally don't see how it would work with you being out of state, based on what I see with other couples who have joint custody, but your mileage may vary and I don't know the specifics of your deal that need to be considered.

Moving out of CA to avoid your list of issues, yea, 100s of thousands of thousands of people have been doing it so far this century. Many of the items on your list of gripes can be avoided by living in any of many different places. I'd recommend visiting http://www.city-data.com/ to assist you in the research elements for specific issues and items you want to know as well as visiting their forums to get some first hand feedback on issues others have run into in those locales that are highest on your list of potential relocation spots. Once you can narrow this down to 1-3 spots, then you can go visit and see first hand.

#2427780 - 01/02/18 12:45 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
NewbombTurkk Offline
master

Loc: West Virginia
I see two HUGE red flags after reading your plans:

KIDS: No way in &&%&% I would trust my ex AND her new hubby to pull up roots and follow me out of state........UNLESS they did it first. I can see you moving, then hear their excuses about no coming, or they could get cold feet when it comes time to turn in their two week notices.......

LANDLORD: Good luck being a long distance landlord. Unless you have huge rents and profit margin, any profit will be eaten away with third party management fees, travel, aspirin, etc..... Sell the property if you do decide to move permanently.

Hope this helps..that is a major move, especially when young kids are involved. Can you stick it out until the youngest is 18?

Now 1972 El Camino, original 402

#2427786 - 01/02/18 12:53 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: NewbombTurkk]
varunner Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia
Put your kids best interests first, and focus on being the best Dad you can be.

#2427819 - 01/02/18 01:36 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: NewbombTurkk]
DaytonaTurbo Offline

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Wherever you decide, I would look for something rural. From my experience, more and more of the cancerous ideology you are trying to flee is gaining traction in the big city suburbs. You may find in a few years feeling like you're back where you started.

Originally Posted By NewbombTurkk

KIDS: No way in &&%&% I would trust my ex AND her new hubby to pull up roots and follow me out of state........UNLESS they did it first. I can see you moving, then hear their excuses about no coming, or they could get cold feet when it comes time to turn in their two week notices.......

Good point. It would make good sense to get everything lined up but not pull the trigger on anything until after they move and get jobs.

#2427877 - 01/02/18 03:23 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: feets]
Morty426 Offline
master

It's pretty simple.

Feets,

Please enlighten me as to how we destroyed California.

M426

#2427901 - 01/02/18 03:56 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
skicker Offline
Pro Stock

Loc: Western Md.
Won't speak for Feets...
But if we knew how it happened there it would sure be a lot easier to prevent it from happening here and everywhere else...
I'm on the wrong coast and I know what is found in the news is not typical of everyone there...
From here with what is reported it's a cesspool with little rules...less morals...and no punishment...
The whole state seems to be proof that drugs will make you stupid...Hearing about laws that are passed there just makes me shake my head and wonder...[ Moparts Family Site - Keep it Friendly ] are they thinking???
Part I can't figure out is all I hear is how expensive it is yet it's saturated with the equivalency of low-life pond scum...
Don't everyone from Cali get your panties in a bunch seeing as how if your on this site you probably don't fit into that category...
A lot of people around here just wish it would fall into the ocean taking its trash with it...
Worst part is Maryland is almost as bad on the east half of the State. For now the western portion is safe but the inner $hitty dwellers downstate are attempting to pollute this side too...
I'd want to live somewhere with a defined 4 seasons and a short winter period...something with a small town atmosphere where everyone was raised with enough morals and values they wouldn't need to carry protection but would have the ability to do so... twocents
With a dragstrip and dirt track nearby... up
Kind of exactly what I have with less winter...

Sorry Doc...

We'll try again in 2 years...up

Edited...Looks like it will be 6 years...biggrin

#2427905 - 01/02/18 03:59 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Morty426]
azmopar Offline

Loc: NO RUST IN AZ!!!
Originally Posted By Morty426

It's pretty simple.

Feets,

Please enlighten me as to how we destroyed California.

M426

hopefully without getting political

Attachments
heresyoursign.jpg

#NONIKESEVER

A Real man aint afraid to drive PINK!!!!

67 Plymouth Valiant PILOT CAR 273 Commando 4 spd

#2427909 - 01/02/18 04:02 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
Supercuda Offline
I Live Here

Ever notice how the frog wonders why everyone is talking about the pot boiling?

#2427912 - 01/02/18 04:07 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Supercuda]
skicker Offline
Pro Stock

Loc: Western Md.
Originally Posted By Θάνατος
Ever notice how the frog wonders why everyone is talking about the pot boiling?

bow Wow...excellent synopsis... up

Sorry Doc...

We'll try again in 2 years...up

Edited...Looks like it will be 6 years...biggrin

#2428016 - 01/02/18 07:34 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: feets]
hosehead Offline
top fuel

It's pretty simple.

Wow, feets. Thanks for assuming that EVERYONE leaving has a diseased mind. laugh2 This is kind of what I'm talking about. How do you figure all the people fleeing California are bringing a certain mentality with them. Maybe some real estate equity but not what you're talking about. Not this Okie. No way.
It's a two way street. People flock to California(even from Texas) to be a part of the weather, political climate, whatever. People leave for the same reason. Because they've had enough. This generalization is silly. But hey, what do I know. I've only lived here for 20 years.......

#2428073 - 01/02/18 09:26 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: skicker]
Morty426 Offline
master

Originally Posted By skicker
Won't speak for Feets...
But if we knew how it happened there it would sure be a lot easier to prevent it from happening here and everywhere else...
I'm on the wrong coast and I know what is found in the news is not typical of everyone there...
From here with what is reported it's a cesspool with little rules...less morals...and no punishment...
The whole state seems to be proof that drugs will make you stupid...Hearing about laws that are passed there just makes me shake my head and wonder...[ Moparts Family Site - Keep it Friendly ] are they thinking???
Part I can't figure out is all I hear is how expensive it is yet it's saturated with the equivalency of low-life pond scum...
Don't everyone from Cali get your panties in a bunch seeing as how if your on this site you probably don't fit into that category...
A lot of people around here just wish it would fall into the ocean taking its trash with it...
Worst part is Maryland is almost as bad on the east half of the State. For now the western portion is safe but the inner $hitty dwellers downstate are attempting to pollute this side too...
I'd want to live somewhere with a defined 4 seasons and a short winter period...something with a small town atmosphere where everyone was raised with enough morals and values they wouldn't need to carry protection but would have the ability to do so... twocents
With a dragstrip and dirt track nearby... up
Kind of exactly what I have with less winter...

Skicker - thanks for your very professional response. I appreciate it. up

You haven't really told me what you think is wrong with CA but I'll try hit on some of your points.

Little rules - oh no we have tons of rules. We have way too many rules. It's the results of term limits, gutless politicians and (the worst) running the state with ballot initiatives.

Less morals - I think the morals here are pretty darn good but if you are referring to the porn industry then yes we have that, but that's SoCal

No punishment - we have so many people in jail we ship them to other States. We famous prisons - Alcatraz, Folsom, San Quinten - heck Pelican Bay is supposed to be the worst place in the country if you are an inmate. We have the death penalty but don't get me started on us not doing it.

Drugs - I think the drug problem is a lot worse in other States. I could be wrong.

Stupid Laws - most of what you hear are stupid laws that get proposed not actually implemented. Again it gets back to term limits, gutless politicians and (the worst) running the state with ballot initiatives. Term limits brings in a new class of clowns that don't know %$#^ and they think that they need to look busy so they make crap up. They should focus on eliminating restrictions that don't make sense.

Expensive - yes it's expensive. The average home asking price in my area is $464K, selling is $399k. That's over the June 2006 (before crash) max. In the Bay Area selling is $800K supposedly but it's probably really $1M. It's supply and demand coupled with employers that pay big bucks. I make 2.5X what I would make anywhere else in the country.

California falling into the sea - well eventually Point Reyes will break off. If you are talking SoCal / LA falling off and it takes the Dodgers and Lakers with them I'm all for it. I will miss the Spring Fling - the worlds second largest Mopar show.

Seasons - we have seasons
Rain Season
Growing Season
Drying Season
Fire Season
Actually if you go East into the Sierras you get the normal four seasons

Small town - I used to live in Santa Margarita, 4th oldest settlement in the State, population 1,100 but only half live in town. Very quiet, loved it. I currently live on 17+ acres with no one to the south or east ever. One and only one home to the north about 60 yards away.

Carry protection - never owned a thing for protection ever. Never felt I needed it.

Drag strip / dirt track - all with in 30 minutes of me and an off road park and numerous go cart tracks.

#2428078 - 01/02/18 09:35 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Morty426]
hosehead Offline
top fuel

Thanks for the thoughtful response Morty. Well said.
And I didn't mean to start anything with Feets. I'm sure he doesn't mean EVERYONE in California. I'm hoping we are among the good guys. Just some of the California bashing here gets super generalized and is often misinformed. It gets tedious. And I'm one of the ones who wants to leave! laugh2

#2428128 - 01/02/18 11:28 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
SomeCarGuy Offline
master

Thing is, you guys are outlining “stupid laws,” which I won’t rehash all you described except to say I see tacit admission those looking into your fishbowl are right. And yes, ca exports this stuff with the people leaving. Not sure why anybody would disagree with that assessment.

#2428153 - 01/03/18 12:24 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
AndyF Offline
Too Many Posts

Loc: Oregon
Camas might be okay, you basically just need to stay out of the denser populated areas in both WA and OR if you don't want to be surrounded by left wing idiots. Once you get roughly 30 miles away from downtown Portland the people start to be able to think for themselves. Inside that zone is mostly stepford wives.

Good luck, sounds like a complicated move.

#2428155 - 01/03/18 12:43 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: SomeCarGuy]
Morty426 Offline
master

Originally Posted By SomeCarGuy
Thing is, you guys are outlining “stupid laws,” which I won’t rehash all you described except to say I see tacit admission those looking into your fishbowl are right. And yes, ca exports this stuff with the people leaving. Not sure why anybody would disagree with that assessment.

I'm not sure if I understand what we are exporting with the people that exit.

People exit here because of various reasons but the main ones are:

1. Retirement - this is a God awful place to retire. So we go to Oregon, Nevada or Arizona mostly
2. People who just can't take the pace - the only place close is the hustle in NYC. California's work hard. We have an expectation of everything being done right now. Pronto. I try go to Carlisle every year. One year I went with a Moparts member and he wanted to stiff our waitress because he thought the service was slow. It wasn't it was just the pace in PA. It's different. I observed it when I tried to move a factory from CA to IA and TX. The work ethic just isn't the same.
3. People who cannot manage the costs - you make more you pay more. Some just can't play the financial long game that is needed here.

As for exporting here is somethings we export but it has nothing to do with the people leaving.

1. Emission Requirements - we set the smog laws. This is the result of FEDERAL requirements. Our geography and the number of people have forced us to take drastic measures to meet those requirements. That has created the evil empire know as California EPA and the dreaded California Air Resources Board - CARB. I know what it was like to breath the air in 1971 in the summer at Disneyland. It hurt. We buy ~20% of ALL the cars and trucks sold in the US so the automakers do what we say - sometimes kicking and screaming, but no one is giving up that pie.

2. Police Cars - we buy more than anyone. So that ripples through the Police community. Ford Explorer is the CHP vehicle of choice right now.

3. Produce - we grow a ton of food, exporting it to you all and the rest of the world. Some things are ONLY grown in CA

4. Money - we pay more to the Feds than what we get back.

#2428212 - 01/03/18 08:33 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
SomeCarGuy Offline
master

Ok morty, don’t listen to basically everybody that’s not from ca, that all have and will continue to tell you the same thing. I can imagine you moving out too, only to be met with the same sort of comments and still not getting it. Lmao.

#2428283 - 01/03/18 11:10 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: SomeCarGuy]
Morty426 Offline
master

Ok morty, don’t listen to basically everybody that’s not from ca, that all have and will continue to tell you the same thing. I can imagine you moving out too, only to be met with the same sort of comments and still not getting it. Lmao.

I am listening. I am asking for a reason, it's you is not answering. What are we exporting? Our political beliefs? If so it's hogwash.

The biggest thing we export is money. Californians leave with a big bank roll and buy a fancy house in your neck of the woods and drive up the price.

I think that's called jealousy.

#2428311 - 01/03/18 11:59 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Morty426]
Guitar Jones Offline
master

I am listening. I am asking for a reason, it's you is not answering. What are we exporting? Our political beliefs? If so it's hogwash.

The biggest thing we export is money. Californians leave with a big bank roll and buy a fancy house in your neck of the woods and drive up the price.

You think it's hogwash because you aren't experiencing it. It's the same here in Florida with northerners moving here. They like the weather but they want to bring the rest of their values here.

One of the lines I hate the most is "That's not how we did it back home."

First of all, we don't care how you did it back home, and secondly if it was so great there why are you here? Go back home.

#2428322 - 01/03/18 12:23 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
srt Offline

Loc: Fire and Fury
I have several friends and our son's family all have moved to oregon.
Getting good jobs in OR is getting more challenging due to the influx.
Son sent us this article over the weekend Migration <-Click
Without exception all said the first thing they did was strip exhaust and emission equipment. Tout their lack of sales tax, yet some say property tax is too much and housing is $$.
I know nothing more other than locals view the immigrants with a disparaging eye.
edit: I wrote this before reading the thread and my comments hold true. I only want to add that with only one exception (our son whom moved there with his job) all the people moved there with the hope to retain wealth and "get away from regulations". Trying to distance from politics here those same people while living here sniveled about regulations and cost. You all know the type that can throw a wet blanket over a celebration gathering, wandering from group to group spewing their discontent with people places things? That's them, good riddance I say (not to calmopar, just be prepared for the reception should you end up there and divulge costs and money savings as the reason for your move).
I remember back in the 60's and 70's when Oregonians despised Californians, I don't believe too much has changed. For me, I love the little corner of California I live (no jobs, relatively low tax rate protected by prop 13, with everything paid off, and lots of green money floating around). I hope the exodus continues.

Edited by srt (01/03/18 12:38 PM)

#2428370 - 01/03/18 01:52 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Guitar Jones]
Morty426 Offline
master

Originally Posted By Guitar Jones

You think it's hogwash because you aren't experiencing it. It's the same here in Florida with northerners moving here. They like the weather but they want to bring the rest of their values here.

First of all, we don't care how you did it back home, and secondly if it was so great there why are you here? Go back home.

Thanks! That was the type of response I wanted to hear.

You are 100% correct.

I'm sorry to tell you that my former neighbor moved to Florida and did nothing but complain at the slow pace of life there and how he wanted it like CA.

My comment was "Hey your the idiot that moved there."

Your response of "GO HOME" is exactly what I would say.

BTW - we get the same thing here when people move here.

Again thanks for the response up

#2428383 - 01/03/18 02:35 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Morty426]
Neil Offline
I Live Here

Have met several Californians who moved here and then moved elsewhere, or went back home after a few years.

Some of their complaints?

We have no pro sports teams.

No ocean nearby.

Cold weather.

Little public transportation other than riding the bus mostly with DUI Lottery winners and homeless types.

Aggressive employers who don't like providing health insurance, vacation time, automatically expect people to work weekends, no time off for maternity leave, likely to get fired if you get stuck on jury duty for too long, etc.

#2428385 - 01/03/18 02:38 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
BloFish Offline

Like I said before... the grass isn’t always greener laugh2

'65 A100
'69 Barracuda
'06 Mega Cab 2500
'14 Mercedes-Benz SLK

#2428389 - 01/03/18 02:44 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Neil]
Morty426 Offline
master

Have met several Californians who moved here and then moved elsewhere, or went back home after a few years.

No ocean nearby.

Cold weather.

Little public transportation other than riding the bus mostly with DUI Lottery winners and homeless types.

Aggressive employers who don't like providing health insurance, vacation time, automatically expect people to work weekends, no time off for maternity leave, likely to get fired if you get stuck on jury duty for too long, etc.

I'm crossing Idaho off the list.

LOL

#2428406 - 01/03/18 03:13 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Neil]
3hundred Offline
master

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas

I'm guessing...construction?

Robert
'93 Ramcharger 318 sold
'01 3500 4x4 Cummins 6 speed
'13 300 S sold
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi

#2428417 - 01/03/18 03:32 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Morty426]
QuickBpBp Offline
master

Honestly this doesn't make sense to me. If they leave Ca. with a large bankroll they don't buy a 500k-up home where others are only valued at 100k unless they are financially stupid or have a "hey look at me attitude". That example brings up the value of homes around them and brings theirs down. So why would anyone be "jealous" as you say to that. Most buy/build a home like that where other homes are closely valued and fit right in financially. It's when you see what they brought with them like when there is an event at school and someone besides their child wins those people say "wait a minute my son didn't get a participation trophy back where I came from"....and the infection begins... Beliefs do not stay with-in state borders they travel with the people who believe in them.

#2428418 - 01/03/18 03:37 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: QuickBpBp]
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer

Consider the origin of that with which you take exception to...

#2428501 - 01/03/18 06:31 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Morty426]
amxautox Offline

No ocean nearby.

Cold weather.

I'm crossing Idaho off the list.

LOL
Idaho is ok. As long as it's on the other side of the state line. laugh2

devil

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

#2428515 - 01/03/18 06:51 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
EV2Bird Offline
No more politics

Loc: Kansas Roads Between 0 and 140...
Wow, reading the last few pages. All I can say is Im happy where I live, dont think id pick any other place.

Its 35 miles to the nearest town of 3200, I passed 3 cars both ways this am.

#2428550 - 01/03/18 07:54 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: EV2Bird]
Guitar Jones Offline
master

35 miles is a long way to a store, or a hospital. Some people are good with that, some are not.

#2428556 - 01/03/18 07:59 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: EV2Bird]
MidPenMopar Offline

My daughter was looking to buy a house in Clay City, Nebraska (near Hastings). It was a 30 year old home, about 2500 SQ feet, three bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage on two acres. The asking price was $39,000. Here that wouldn't pay for the concrete to pour the foundation!

Just insane how different prices are the further you get from a big city.

Stu

Check out our MPM Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/122972991051550/

#2428622 - 01/03/18 09:26 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: MidPenMopar]
Morty426 Offline
master

Originally Posted By MidPenMopar
My daughter was looking to buy a house in Clay City, Nebraska (near Hastings). It was a 30 year old home, about 2500 SQ feet, three bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage on two acres. The asking price was $39,000. Here that wouldn't pay for the concrete to pour the foundation!

Stu

Location, location, location Stu

#2428650 - 01/03/18 10:20 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
BloFish Offline

Where have I heard that before laugh2

'65 A100
'69 Barracuda
'06 Mega Cab 2500
'14 Mercedes-Benz SLK

#2428655 - 01/03/18 10:26 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
nutso suave Offline

Loc: delivering your oil
Camas is a very nice place, along with Washougal, Vancouver, and Battle Ground. The reasons you gave make sense...I live on the Washington side of the Oregon border and am very happy. PM me if you have any questions.

#2428664 - 01/03/18 10:47 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Morty426]
MidPenMopar Offline

Stu

Location, location, location Stu

Well said!! wink

#2428681 - 01/03/18 11:18 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Morty426]
SomeCarGuy Offline
master

Originally Posted By Guitar Jones

Thanks! That was the type of response I wanted to hear.

You are 100% correct.

I'm sorry to tell you that my former neighbor moved to Florida and did nothing but complain at the slow pace of life there and how he wanted it like CA.

My comment was "Hey your the idiot that moved there."

Your response of "GO HOME" is exactly what I would say.

BTW - we get the same thing here when people move here.

Again thanks for the response up

You were given this info previously, you just wanted to be anti, which is to say how a Californian shows up and behaves quite often. That is what irks the natives where they end up. I have to chuckle, again, that you don’t see you are being an example of this.

The OP started this thread describing the issues and his desire to flee them. You confirmed a variety of causation, term limits being one(putting this so you won’t claim no specifics again), and you went against the grain of tons of people saying it is so. Just have to laugh at that.

Put another way, again so you can get it, they don’t sell “Don’t Dixie my Cali” T shirts. They do hock ones supporting what they rest of us have been knocking you upside the head with. Whether you agree with the premise or not. Perception is reality at some point, again you might not agree with the perception.

#2428700 - 01/03/18 11:53 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: SomeCarGuy]
Dave Hall Offline
top fuel

Loc: Cotati, CA
So basically it IS all Californians? Feets was right! laugh

#2428948 - 01/04/18 01:21 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Dave Hall]
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas

Loc: jersey shore
Originally Posted By Dave Hall
So basically it IS all Californians? Feets was right! laugh

shhh tsk
they are a very sensitive bunch on that side of the slab! wink

#2428973 - 01/04/18 02:05 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: flypaper]
peabodyracing Offline
top fuel

Loc: Minnesota
I don't know that I can say it's just California. The Minneapolis/St Paul, MN gets pretty 'out there' on a regular basis.

The City Council of Minneapolis tends to lead the charge on many and varied liberal fronts, 'fixing' everything from shopping bags to the minimum wage. The greater Metropolitan Council is determined that just about every societal ill we face can be fixed by more light rail, regardless of cost and ridership or lack thereof.

I remember vividly attending a committee meeting at the State Capital, discussing possible changes to sentencing guidelines for serious crimes. I thought that a pretty serious subject.

The meeting nearly got derailed when one elected official discovered (during the meeting) that the official sitting next to her had her home trash container provided by the refuse hauler at no charge. She was paying for hers. Oh, the horror.

I wish you well in whatever direction you ultimately take and hope it works out for you and the kids.

#2429090 - 01/04/18 04:09 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: MidPenMopar]
AndyF Offline
Too Many Posts

Loc: Oregon

Stu

That would work for me. Just need to build a nice big heated shop and then who cares where you are. As long as UPS delivers and there is high speed internet I'd be just fine in Clay City, NE.

As for California, it has been made fun of for at least the last 50 years and maybe even before. All you have to do is watch some movies from the 70's like Magnum Force and you'll see that 40 years ago people thought the politicians in CA were retarded morons. Not much has changed since then. A lot of people in CA as well as most people outside of CA consider CA politicians to be the stupidest ones around.

I don't know why it is, just something that started years ago and it seems to keep going. I know that 20+ years ago when I was in law school the professor would bring up a court case from CA and everyone would laugh at how stupid the judge's decision was. Almost every idiotic case we studied in law school came out of CA. The 9th circuit has a long history of writing idiotic decisions. Could be the climate, or the water, or maybe crazy attracts crazy. Who knows........

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,538 Registered Members
32 Forums
194,156 Topics
2,268,003 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Window Mechanism Grease
by dart4forte
Today at 12:55 AM
W2 heads- How much lift is lost at the valve?
by viperblue72
Today at 12:53 AM
HOW MUCH are you going to throw at the LOTTO ....
by Doc Fiberglass
Yesterday at 11:54 PM
1971 Challenger A78 question.
by challenger6pack
Yesterday at 11:47 PM