Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2426957 - 01/01/18 03:40 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
Frankenduster Offline
Moparts proctologist

Loc: Granite Bay CA
People bash California for the higher taxes and stupid politics...Yeah, I get that.
What if neither of those issues outweigh the great weather, great scenery, having mountains, an ocean, racetracks and lots of project cars and parts within reach?
I love the weather. mid 60s all week here with high 30s for overnight lows. There is NO way I'd tolerate snow or humidity like you other guys do. I can work on stuff outside every day of the year. I don't need snow boots, I don't have to change my shirt 10 times a day in the summer either. High taxes? Yeah, that sucks but I make enough to get by okay. We don't have mosquitoes the size of small birds.

#2427026 - 01/01/18 10:23 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Frankenduster]
Jeremiah Offline
master

Loc: Rogue River, OR
What you said right there is what I often think when people talk about CA being this and that. It's daaaaaaaaamn nice in a ton of ways. As far as weather goes you folks have it all however as the OP said it seems to be getting harder for the average 40-50 hour a week person to get by on a less that stellar occupation, especially if you don not own your home.

We visited Great Grandma in South SF a month ago. Her nice, old 3bed/2bath house was worth something over a million dollars. While that is cool I don't have crime and my shop is bigger than her lot and our yard is larger than that neighborhood lol. Bottom line is it would be tough to match the lifestyle we have here in that economic climate.

Oh, I don't wear skinny jeans either so it's better for me to stay out of CA until that fad blows over. Unless capri's are next.

#2427096 - 01/01/18 11:44 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Frankenduster]
Morty426 Offline
master

Loc: Sacramento CA
Originally Posted By Frankenduster
People bash California for the higher taxes and stupid politics...Yeah, I get that.
What if neither of those issues outweigh the great weather, great scenery, having mountains, an ocean, racetracks and lots of project cars and parts within reach?
I love the weather. mid 60s all week here with high 30s for overnight lows. There is NO way I'd tolerate snow or humidity like you other guys do. I can work on stuff outside every day of the year. I don't need snow boots, I don't have to change my shirt 10 times a day in the summer either. High taxes? Yeah, that sucks but I make enough to get by okay. We don't have mosquitoes the size of small birds.

LOL - you're one of the main ones bashing the politics and taxes. laugh

That set aside I remember when my best friend told me "The reason I don't leave the Bay Area is because the money is to good." He was right. If you have the right skill set you can make a ton of money here.

Another example would be the housing market. Years ago my former boss left Texas and sold his house for $300k. He bought a house in Elk Grove, CA for 300K. Seven years later his house in EG was worth $750K, his former home in Texas was $300,500. Now the guys is a Director at Apple living in Half Moon Bay with more money than God.

#2427119 - 01/01/18 12:03 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
hosehead Offline
top fuel

Loc: Pasadena, california
The leaving California topic is always a hot one around my house. Yeah the taxes, politics, etc are ridiculous but I will miss a lot of things about it when I leave. Racing all year is nice. I ran my car on Thursday in short sleeves.
Thing thing I can't understand is how people get so mad about Californians moving to their state. Living here for twenty years, one thing I've noticed is the MASSIVE amount of Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, etc license tags you see. I think half the people here in Southern California are from somewhere else. I understand that people get pissed about Californians leaving and buying up properties in their state, but believe me, it's a two way street. TONS of people from other states come here to live also.
That being said, I'm ready to leave. laugh2 lots of great people here, just too many of them. I'll hopefully be outta here in a year or two. Cash out of our overpriced house and move somewhere more rural. Don't be mad at me, I'm from Oklahoma. up

#2427122 - 01/01/18 12:06 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
calmopar Offline
I Live Here

Loc: East Bay, N. Cal.
The cold weather and rain is an issue in OR/WA and we're also looking at Austin, TX. The main things are 1) good schools, 2) lower cost of living especially housing, 3) good quality of life (recreation/community/outdoors/low crime), and 4) strong job market for ex and her husband (they are both in tech, he's a developer, she's a game artist).

I worked in Boise and also Spokane years ago and liked both cities. I am sure they look quite different from when I saw them last 30 years ago.

I spent some time in Austin and found it to my liking, but youtube videos of the entertainment sections on weekends isn't very promising - seems a little rowdy.

#2427158 - 01/01/18 12:47 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
BloFish Offline

Loc: Lake Oroville
The grass isn’t always greener twocents

'65 A100
'69 Barracuda
'06 Mega Cab 2500
'14 Mercedes-Benz SLK

#2427161 - 01/01/18 12:49 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
QuickBpBp Offline
master

Loc: SE PA.
I Only read what plans you thought about in your first post. Me personally I would sell all properties in California if you plan on leaving. Long distance renting can become a problem rather quickly. Sounds like your neighborhood is going down hill and property values also will follow. Also renters that would rent in areas that this is happening to typically become part of the problem in the area or don't stay for long. It very easily could become a long distance headache dealing with maintenance, new renters/bad renters or no renters. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

#2427166 - 01/01/18 12:53 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: QuickBpBp]
chargervert Offline
master

Loc: RI Deep in the rust belt
Leave Cali for the wacko lefties,that way when it breaks off the mainland and floats away,they can have their own island of misfit toys!
70 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi 70 Charger R/T convertible 70 Charger R/T V Code Sixpack 69 Charger R/T SE Sunroofcar 68 Charger 383 68 Charger 318 71 Charger R/T 70 Challenger convertible 71 Challenger convertible 71 Cuda 340 09 Challenger R/T Classic

#2427179 - 01/01/18 01:00 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
Supercuda Offline
I Live Here

Loc: up yours
Stay there

#2427184 - 01/01/18 01:03 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Frankenduster]
QuickBpBp Offline
master

Loc: SE PA.
Originally Posted By Frankenduster

Lots of people enjoy seasons and some don't which is fine to each is own. That being said besides politics, Besides the taxes, Besides the millions of Illegal immigrants, Besides the rising crime rate, Besides the Hollywood types, Besides the drought conditions, Besides water issues, Besides the Wild Forest fires, Besides Earth quakes, Besides heavy storms and mud slides, Besides the southern beaches filled with Mexico's feces washing in daily and Japan's radioactive trash still heading to the coast from 2011 I think they are plenty of better places to live....

#2427211 - 01/01/18 01:28 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: QuickBpBp]
azmopar Offline

Loc: NO RUST IN AZ!!!
cmon over to the AZ for a visit, lots of diverse area, as in northern az for the 4 seasons, and were only a 6 hr drive away from the beach up

and a lot less crazy on the political version of which you are trying to get away from

#NONIKESEVER

A Real man aint afraid to drive PINK!!!!

67 Plymouth Valiant PILOT CAR 273 Commando 4 spd

#2427244 - 01/01/18 02:19 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: QuickBpBp]
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer

Loc: -
Originally Posted By QuickBpBp
That being said besides politics, Besides the taxes, Besides the millions of Illegal immigrants, Besides the rising crime rate, Besides the Hollywood types, Besides the drought conditions, Besides water issues, Besides the Wild Forest fires, Besides Earth quakes, Besides heavy storms and mud slides, Besides the southern beaches filled with Mexico's feces washing in daily and Japan's radioactive trash still heading to the coast from 2011 I think they are plenty of better places to live....

Bullseye...

I've cruised Van Nuys...

Been to the Troubadour...

Stayed at the Hollywood&Vine Motel...

But to drop anchor there???

There ain't enough $$$ printed...

#2427258 - 01/01/18 02:34 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard

Loc: Spokane Washington
Serge,

I spent time in Austin in the mid 90's. I liked it for a few reasons, weather, scenery, lots of night life, food, close to some larger cities for big city fun, etc.. But after visiting recently I noticed something I didn't really care for. Mainly? I'm older now and felt like a square peg in a round hole culturally and age group wise. I can see people in the 21-35 age group really liking it there, sort of a hipster vibe downtown. Not for me.. .02

#2427277 - 01/01/18 03:06 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: QuickBpBp]
TJP Offline
master

Loc: Omaha Ne
Originally Posted By QuickBpBp

Lots of people enjoy seasons and some don't which is fine to each is own. That being said besides politics, Besides the taxes, Besides the millions of Illegal immigrants, Besides the rising crime rate, Besides the Hollywood types, Besides the drought conditions, Besides water issues, Besides the Wild Forest fires, Besides Earth quakes, Besides heavy storms and mud slides, Besides the southern beaches filled with Mexico's feces washing in daily and Japan's radioactive trash still heading to the coast from 2011 I think they are plenty of better places to live....

you forgot the traffic / congestion LOL stirthepot beer

#2427322 - 01/01/18 04:07 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
Supercuda Offline
I Live Here

Austin of the mid 90's bears zero relationship to Austin of today.

#2427347 - 01/01/18 04:39 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Supercuda]
tboomer Offline

Loc: The frozen wasteland of Iowa
And the weasels in Texas are still small.... laugh2

#2427396 - 01/01/18 06:09 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard

Loc: Spokane Washington
Supercuda, yep, I agree hence my comments

#2427401 - 01/01/18 06:15 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
Supercuda Offline
I Live Here

I was back there a couple of months ago for a week, job related.

Coworkers took me to Whole Foods for lunch one day. What a freak show that was.

They were trying to talk me into transferring there.

Not going to happen. I will quit and go back to climbing wind turbines or fracking first.

#2427741 - 01/02/18 11:42 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: hosehead]
feets Offline
Senior Management

Loc: Irving, TX
Originally Posted By hosehead

Thing thing I can't understand is how people get so mad about Californians moving to their state.

It's pretty simple.

The disease that has infected California is in the minds of the people who elect the officials and keep them in office. They also are the people who vote for those crazy ideas and laws that have turned the state into the disaster it has become.

California is beautiful but the people have destroyed it.

Now that it is becoming uninhabitable for so many they are fleeing the state and taking their diseased mindset with them. They then pollute the new community and slowly start turning it into the disaster they once fled.

#2427744 - 01/02/18 11:45 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: feets]
Guitar Jones Offline
master

Loc: in a cattle trailer down by th...
Originally Posted By feets
Originally Posted By hosehead

Thing thing I can't understand is how people get so mad about Californians moving to their state.

It's pretty simple.

The disease that has infected California is in the minds of the people who elect the officials and keep them in office. They also are the people who vote for those crazy ideas and laws that have turned the state into the disaster it has become.

California is beautiful but the people have destroyed it.

Now that it is becoming uninhabitable for so many they are fleeing the state and taking their diseased mindset with them. They then pollute the new community and slowly start turning it into the disaster they once fled.

Yep, it's like New Yorkers moving here to Florida, just stay where you are and we'll all be happier.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,495 Registered Members
32 Forums
193,119 Topics
2,254,407 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
1970 Dodge Monaco Production Figure Source??
by DeMopuar
09/24/18 10:40 PM
Some people have life so tough
by pittsburghracer
09/24/18 10:38 PM
Pigtail setups for trapped starters
by Hot 340
09/24/18 10:03 PM
Steering parts
by Nick Stevanovski
09/24/18 09:13 PM