Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2426071 - 12/30/17 07:28 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: SV_MOPARS]
GB5andGY8 Offline
mopar

Loc: California's Tri-Valley
Have lived in Northern Nevada, Idaho, and Washington State, all courtesy of the military. Some of Western Washington, especially the Seattle-area, has similar issues (social-justice, homeless policies, pot, crime, etc.) to those you think you'll be leaving behind in the East Bay. My own experience was that I found Washington state to grow more conservative the farther east I went. Right now, I am living in the Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore area myself, and I can tell you that there is also a difference out here as compared to being directly on the Bay, on the west end of Alameda County.

My wife and I are both Univ. of Idaho grads and we loved Moscow, ID for the five years we were there. We've considered moving back and it typically wouldn't get a really heavy snow season but once out of every 3-4 years. Meanwhile, another buddy is also trying to get me to relocate to Wenatchee, WA, but he says it is also getting yuppie-fied there, too and the property prices have become inflated.

Best firearms policies were in Nevada, by far. I also miss riding in the open desert sometimes, and I think that state has the most BLM land to explore if you are so inclined.

I have been married for 25 years to the same woman, so can't comment on your custody issues and which state would make it easier to visit kids, etc.

Good luck with your decision.

#2426117 - 12/30/17 08:56 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
BloFish Offline

Loc: Lake Oroville
Location, location, location, weather, weather, weather, Northern California wave

'65 A100
'69 Barracuda
'06 Mega Cab 2500
'14 Mercedes-Benz SLK

#2426118 - 12/30/17 09:00 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: BloFish]
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

Loc: On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
Originally Posted By BloFish
Location, location, location, weather, weather, weather, Northern California wave
As long as there is enough rain to keep the reservoir filled. grin

How has retirement been for yourself?

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

#2426123 - 12/30/17 09:08 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
BloFish Offline

Actually Tom, I just hung up the belt this afternoon after 29.496 years, my hips need a rest laugh2

'65 A100
'69 Barracuda
'06 Mega Cab 2500
'14 Mercedes-Benz SLK

#2426129 - 12/30/17 09:14 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: BloFish]
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

Loc: On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
Oh, well congratulations. thumbs

Here I thought it was in Sept. No wonder you hadn't posted about it yet. laugh2

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

#2426130 - 12/30/17 09:28 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: GB5andGY8]
SeventyGTX Offline

Loc: Fallon, Nv
Originally Posted By GB5andGY8

Best firearms policies were in Nevada, by far. I also miss riding in the open desert sometimes, and I think that state has the most BLM land to explore if you are so inclined.

thumbs

#2426141 - 12/30/17 09:58 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
QuickDodge Offline
super stock

Loc: Cruising!
I lived in California over 25 years ago. I LOVED the weather in California!!! For some unknown reason, I felt better (physically) living there, than in any other state.

I have read that western Washington and Oregon have a rainy climate. The change in climate may affect you or someone else in your family. Moving from a wonderful climate to a cloudy, rainy climate may be more difficult than expected.

#2426147 - 12/30/17 10:18 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
astjp2 Offline
master

Loc: Utah and Alaska
Head to Las Vegas...cheap living and lots of work...
1998 Wrangler
2008 Kia Rio
2017 Jetta

I didn't do 4 years and 9 months of Graduate School to be called Mister!

#2426157 - 12/30/17 10:50 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: SeventyGTX]
Tom_440 Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Originally Posted By SeventyGTX
Originally Posted By GB5andGY8

thumbs

Yes! Took out the RZR today and tore up the Nellis Dunes just outside of Vegas and a stones through from the Las Vegas Speedway. Mid 60's and blue sunny skies! I gave up So Cal and surfing for affordable life, no state tax and toys with lots of places to play with them.

#2426168 - 12/30/17 11:18 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: BloFish]
Morty426 Offline
master

Loc: Sacramento CA
Actually Tom, I just hung up the belt this afternoon after 29.496 years, my hips need a rest laugh2

Congrats!

#2426170 - 12/30/17 11:21 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
BloFish Offline

Thank you, now I have time to visit your stable wave

'65 A100
'69 Barracuda
'06 Mega Cab 2500
'14 Mercedes-Benz SLK

#2426172 - 12/30/17 11:23 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: BloFish]
Morty426 Offline
master

Loc: Sacramento CA
Thank you, now I have time to visit your stable wave

Yes you do. I found a friend from Long Island wants to come out this Spring and come check it out.

#2426179 - 12/30/17 11:37 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Neil]
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Portage,michigan
Originally Posted By Neil
Idaho weather in the winter can be nasty. Unless you ski, snowmobile, etc. plan on staying indoors from mid-November to March. Figure never seeing anything over 35 degrees for the high temp for 3-4 months.

Big reason people like to move here is no real gun laws. People here just don't have a gun, they have closets full of them. I don't own one and that puts me in the minority.

I have relatives who live in east Washington by the Columbia and they are looking to leave. Expensive everything and miserable winters with freezing rain and fog.

I lived in Medford Oregon for about a year. Winter was much more tame than Idaho. Plenty of mary jane users, homeless people, etc. Many kids in my high school were heavy into weed as it's everywhere. I have been to Portland a few times, but have no desire to live there. Too crowded for my tastes.

I just looked up average highs for Boise. November, 48..... Dec
and Jan 37.....Feb 44...... sounds pretty mild to me compared to the upper midwest. Not sure where you came up with it rarely getting over 35. The hundred plus year averages sure dont support your statement.

How about Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah?

#2426183 - 12/31/17 12:03 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
topside Online   content
I Live Here

Loc: So Near, Yet So Far
I looked at AZ, WA, OR, NV, and UT before a buddy took me on a trip to northern Idaho. I'd moved back to the SF Bay area and was really bummed how the State had deteriorated from the '60s - '80s...politically, manners, respect for property & others...anyway, I fell in love with ID; where I live is a lot like Mayberry RFD compared to everywhere else I've lived.
Yeah, we get some pretty snowy & cold winters.
Expenses are WAY lower than CA, for basically everything.
It's out of the way for stuff like having a car hauled, and you have to be pretty self-reliant.
Better people on average than anywhere else I've been.
Another buddy (member "MadMatt") moved to the Boise area and loves it.
The observations so far on WA & OR are accurate; I'd add that both States are drier, more rural, and more conservative in the East than the West sides.

#2426187 - 12/31/17 12:17 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard

Loc: Spokane Washington
I was born and raised in Northern CA (several places, Santa Rosa, Pleasant Hill, Willows, Red Bluff, etc.). I will always love the diversity, the weather, and many other things. That said, what killed it for me boils down to people. Too many, too much traffic, political system that's out of control, and the cost of living.

In my adult life I have traveled extensively throughout the USA, many beautiful places and things to see or visit. I CHOSE to live in Spokane because it offered me the best overall life style. Not over crowded, 4 season climate (its NOT raining here all the time like the Western side of the state!) cost of living is as low as it gets anywhere habitable, great airport, good restaurants, nice downtown with many scenic places to see, a lot of out door activities, and a fun car scene. I doubt I'll ever leave the place. You should check it out, come up for a visit and I'll show you around.

#2426195 - 12/31/17 12:24 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: topside]
Neil Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Eagle, Idaho
Lived here for awhile and those temps sound too high to me. The temperatures are recorded from the airport, which is a few degrees warmer than the lower part of the valley. Downtown Boise is in a hole. Snow on the ground around Thanksgiving weekend until the end of February is always a possibility.

Last winter pic. Not Midwest type winter, but still not nice.

#2426200 - 12/31/17 12:41 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard

Loc: Spokane Washington
Yes, Spokane temps are recorded at the airport and highs and lows are usually higher/lower there because it's located up on the Western plain (more arid and windy there). The city proper and surrounding areas are in the valley below. First snow usually comes around Thanksgiving and warmer temps usually arrive in early March. Its a bearable winter, snow comes and goes, usually not all that much piles up for long in most years.

#2426225 - 12/31/17 05:32 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: ScottSmith_Harms]
Jeremiah Offline
master

Loc: Rogue River, OR
If you are not used to cold, rainy winters I would be cautious of moving anywhere near Portland. Down here in the Southern part of the state the dark rainy winters can negatively affect people especially if they are not used to it.

Personally I am kind of a "is what it is" type of person so as long as we are making money or having fun I'm a happy camper.

On the other end of the spectrum it is advisable to now look at the fire dangers as well in the area you are interested in relocating. We had a dark, smoky end of the Summer and people were starting to act like they had the winter doldrums. Actually it was worse in the summer when everyone expects to be able to recreate.

Whatever you decide to do I don't envy your position. Trying to satisfy that many people could be tough over time depending on how individually resilient each party is. Going from a sunny, pleasant place with a view to a dark and rainy place does suite many people well as said above. Especially if you commute to work or actually have to leave the office to do your job. "Snow complicates things" : )

Scott - Your description makes me want to move to Spokane!

#2426706 - 12/31/17 06:38 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
TJP Offline
master

Loc: Omaha Ne
I left Ca. 23 years ago and have never regretted it. A lot of the friends I have out their that are natives to the state are leaving all for the same reasons. I would only add to consider Nevada or Arizona when deciding. twocents beer

#2426944 - 01/01/18 01:04 AM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
SomeCarGuy Offline
master

Loc: Someplace you aren't
If you need to make a move, do it. I hated living one place so so so bad, it made life just miserable. Both the people and the weather. We bailed and I don’t regret it even the slightest.

You have the kids issue, which makes my next comment not really apply. I’d be wary of moving anywhere on the west coast. CA has polluted so many places out there. Guys in AZ for instance talk of the Californiacation. CO. Not to mention the other coast states are not far behind. The way it’s going, I wouldn’t trust any conservative power base to last out that way. You know what happens next. I don’t get why people flee an area, only to want to remake the new place in the same mold.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,535 Registered Members
32 Forums
194,020 Topics
2,266,134 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
98 T&C electrical issue
by BH27G1B
39 minutes 34 seconds ago
So what have you done with your music CDs?
by MoparKansas
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
1971 Duster 340 cool factor?
by 340wedge
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
decoding truck numbers
by hillsborophill
Yesterday at 11:04 PM