Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2425856 - 12/30/17 12:23 PM Contemplating a move - need a reality check
calmopar Offline
I Live Here

Loc: East Bay, N. Cal.
I've lived in California my whole life. I'm thinking about moving out of state for a few reasons. I want to bounce this off anyone who has also left the golden state as well as anyone else who might have some insight.

Background: 55, 2 kids (8 and 6). Divorced, split custody time with their mom 50/50. Own home, have an online business that I can run from anywhere.

Why I am considering moving:

Financial: CA is expensive and getting more so every year. I am having trouble saving, which is a sign of a real problem.

Social/Political: Times, they are a changin' and even in my little town the newly elected city council is embracing policies that ruin quality of life (for me). On a state-wide level, a couple of ballot initiatives have made property crime basically unpunishable and the expected results are taking form. Our school district now coddles the violent kids and tells the victims they have to show empathy, etc. There's some weird kool-aid everyone seems to have been drinking and I want no part of it.

What I am thinking: Move to the WA/OR border, on the WA side.

Why there?:

Financial: WA has no state income tax. That's a big help! I can shop in OR where there is no sales tax, which preserves post-tax income. The general cost of living is lower, and in particular housing is much cheaper than in our ridiculous town. I would rent out the house I live in now, rent out my small commercial space, and buy a new place in WA. Even with a conservative penciling, I'll be able to pay a new mortgage and come out ahead monthly. If I finish out the little apartment I have under our house that'll bring in even more every month.

Social/Political: Well I am not too sure about that part of WA, but the schools seem great, the kind of goofiness I am trying to avoid seems to be in Portland mainly without leaking out into the suburbs. My kids are nice and very social and should have no problem making new friends. The school policies and curriculum (a decent litmus test for a community's values) are encouraging and don't show any red flags.

Except for giving up some sunshine and dealing with more rain and cold, it seems like it might be the thing to do. We do love our neighbors and that will be a stinging loss, but I just have the feeling that it's time to hit the road. My brother moved to NY and never looked back, my sister to Oregon a few years ago where she is very happy. I am the only one to stick here in CA and am starting to question why.

Oh and if anyone knows anything good or bad about Camas, WA, please let me know! Happy New Year, Moparts.

#2425863 - 12/30/17 12:31 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
rapom Offline
top fuel

Loc: Northern OH
My sister moved to Post Falls Idaho which is next to Spokane, Washington and they like it there. When she moved there 15 years ago the housing was very affordable. Not so much now with a lot of west coasters moving in.
That being said, Idaho tends to lean more conservative which sounds what you might be looking for.

#2425866 - 12/30/17 12:37 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Fresno, CA
Politics are similar in WA and OR. Consider all of the tax implications and custody implications. Idaho has better politics, but I would be bored (I don't hunt or fish). I've considered moving, but everything adds up to staying here for the foreseeable future.

#2425868 - 12/30/17 12:38 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
Kidsixpack Offline

Loc: Detroit
How does 50/50 custody work if you move out of state?
KID

www.sixpacksuperbee.homestead.com

This pic. is before the resto.
V2 Hemi orange 69 1/2 Super Bee black buckets console 4spd radio delete.
1989 Turbo Trans Am
1987 Buick GN 12,000 miles
1995 Lightning red 1/695
1995 Lightning white 1/761

#2425870 - 12/30/17 12:43 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Kidsixpack]
JonC Offline
master

Loc: Millinocket, Maine
Originally Posted By Kidsixpack
KID

I agree with Kid, in my divorce my wife took the kids to Conecticut. Over 400 Miles and was not good for the kids or me at all.

#2425875 - 12/30/17 12:57 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Kidsixpack]
DaytonaTurbo Offline

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
KID

That was my question too. The kids can't be switching schools every other week so how does this work out with their mom?

#2425903 - 12/30/17 01:23 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
CKessel Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Los Osos, Ca
My wife and I are looking to go to Sequim Wa and leave the PRC behind. We want to get away from family issues, been dealing with that for almost 20 yrs, leave to heat and humidity behind, we've had electric bills approaching $800 per month running the a/c and a host of other things we have had enough of. The weather there is supposed to be like San Diego as its in the rain shadow of the Olympics, although this season its been unusual. The one major drawback to being there is the problem child here, master chef who likes to stir the pot and plant lies in peoples minds[ she's quite the convincer with her b/s] is on face bag with a relative who lives there that we met last month. I did see and hear that there is quite a bit of auto stuff going on there which makes me happy. We are going to have another boots on the ground look to see if thats the place for us. We are both giving our notices at work next week and will go from there. I will run my job out to the end of the month so my employer can find a replacement but he has shown that he can be vindictive and toss people out soon after the notice is given.

#2425912 - 12/30/17 01:36 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Kidsixpack]
calmopar Offline
I Live Here

Loc: East Bay, N. Cal.
KID

Ex and her new husband are on board for the move - staying here where I am is financially tough for them. Here they are dumping $3100/month on rent and don't have enough for a downpayment. In WA, they can buy a place and be in much better shape. Both should be able to find work in PDX, which is a short commute or at least the same as what they do now. I figure if we make this move, the sooner the better for the kids.

Edited by calmopar (12/30/17 01:39 PM)

#2425914 - 12/30/17 01:38 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: rapom]
MidPenMopar Offline
Looking for fun? Keep looking

Loc: South San Francisco, Californi...
Originally Posted By rapom
My sister moved to Post Falls Idaho which is next to Spokane, Washington and they like it there. When she moved there 15 years ago the housing was very affordable. Not so much now with a lot of west coasters moving in.
That being said, Idaho tends to lean more conservative which sounds what you might be looking for.

I have three car club friends that moved to Idaho. One picked Twin Falls and says she loves the place!!

Got a brand new 4 bedroom, 3 bath, 3 car garage for $310,000

Stu

Check out our MPM Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/122972991051550/

#2425941 - 12/30/17 02:23 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
AeroMonte Offline
master

Loc: S.E. Missouri
We left Ca in 1988 when we had our first child. Moved to Missouri where the cost of living is CHEAP!. Both of our sons turned out good and productive. I don't regret leaving at all. We visited in 2006 and saw that we made the right choice. I don't make as much money, but it doesn't cost me much to live either. I can pay a mortgage, drive a new truck and pay all my taxes and insurance as well as all my house bills on $3000 a month. I couldn't pay rent in Santa Cruz on that.

#2425949 - 12/30/17 02:39 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
EV2Bird Offline
No more politics

Loc: Kansas Roads Between 0 and 140...
I think your leaving one spot for what will be another trouble spot before your life is over. Alot of nice places mentioned that are still nice were much nicer 20 years ago.

Not sure what you do for work but states like Wyoming, Kansas, Nebraska are very much wide open and Im able to save so much yearly because of the overall cost of living being even 25% under the national average.

I have zero debt and if I take my mopar addiction out of the picture what I live well on yearly is far less the some even pay a year in property tax in some of the east and left coasts.

#2425953 - 12/30/17 02:42 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: EV2Bird]
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer

Loc: -
(I've been to Kearney...

I heard some trains...

Walked through Cabela's...

#2425956 - 12/30/17 02:48 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
Morty426 Offline
master

Loc: Sacramento CA
Make sure the X is fully committed to this plan as you will tied to her for the next 12 years.

Also don't forget to drop off those two cars on your way out of State smile

Plus the farther North you get in this State the cheaper it is. Your in the heart of the Bay Area where the costs are terrible.

Also do you want to deal with Property that will be 1000 miles away?

#2425969 - 12/30/17 03:07 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
CompSyn Offline
super stock

Loc: Pacific NW USA
As a few others have said, similar politics in WA, OR. I live in Idaho and would suggest you look at various areas in Idaho. By the way, you don't have to hunt, fish, or be into farm animals to be an Idahoan. LOL. Oh! And we do have electricity and indoor plumbing too...

If you like bigg-er city life, try Boise area of one the suburbs. Also. Post Falls / Coeur d'Alene area, Beautiful country and a short drive to Spokane with lots of things to do and see.

Think I just saw a headline on Drudge, something like Idaho is the fastest growing State. Probably something to it.

#2425981 - 12/30/17 03:26 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer

Loc: Moredoor, PA
I made a huge move over 4 years ago, no regrets.

For the rentals & management, do some asking around. Some real estate agents manage rentals for home owners & it can be well worth the fee.

#2425987 - 12/30/17 03:47 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Jim_Lusk]
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
Originally Posted By Jim_Lusk
Politics are similar in WA and OR. Consider all of the tax implications and custody implications. Idaho has better politics, but I would be bored (I don't hunt or fish). I've considered moving, but everything adds up to staying here for the foreseeable future.

It's a tossup. WA and OR have tree hugging, cool aid drinking governors. WA does have a split legislature which does keep some of the really crazy stuff at bay. West side of WA State is becoming more and more like California. As far as the Columbia Gorge area, not bad but a lot of low income, lack of employment etc.

Take a look at Bend, Oregon or Redmond, OR. Their growth has slowed but still a pretty nice area. Four seasons but it's cold and snowy in the winters there. Columbia Gorge weather has lots of wind, sometimes snow but in the Spring and Summer it's nice. Oh, and the fires. They got hit pretty bad this past summer and fall.

Forgot to mention, Wildcat Auto Wreaking is just down the road

Edited by dart4forte (12/30/17 03:48 PM)

#2425999 - 12/30/17 04:22 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: dart4forte]
Neil Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Eagle, Idaho
Idaho weather in the winter can be nasty. Unless you ski, snowmobile, etc. plan on staying indoors from mid-November to March. Figure never seeing anything over 35 degrees for the high temp for 3-4 months.

Big reason people like to move here is no real gun laws. People here just don't have a gun, they have closets full of them. I don't own one and that puts me in the minority.

I have relatives who live in east Washington by the Columbia and they are looking to leave. Expensive everything and miserable winters with freezing rain and fog.

I lived in Medford Oregon for about a year. Winter was much more tame than Idaho. Plenty of mary jane users, homeless people, etc. Many kids in my high school were heavy into weed as it's everywhere. I have been to Portland a few times, but have no desire to live there. Too crowded for my tastes.

How about Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah?

Edited by Neil (12/30/17 04:23 PM)

#2426008 - 12/30/17 04:45 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Neil]
CompSyn Offline
super stock

Loc: Pacific NW USA
Originally Posted By Neil
Idaho weather in the winter can be nasty. Unless you ski, snowmobile, etc. plan on staying indoors from mid-November to March. Figure never seeing anything over 35 degrees for the high temp for 3-4 months.

Well, there are some milder places too in Idaho...

I live in a northern panhandle valley area. Today it's 50 degrees and sunny. Down right t-shirt weather. The Christmas snow is melting away.

Granted, this is a bit atypical for this time of the year, but in general, it's a lot more mild than some other places.

#2426031 - 12/30/17 05:51 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
SeventyGTX Offline

Loc: Fallon, Nv
We moved to northern Nevada from the Sacramento area over 12 years ago. LOVE the small town atmosphere and wide open spaces, but HATE the long very cold winters. Average lows are in the teens in Dec/Jan, but have seen it as low as -15. It doesn't really get above freezing temps at night until May, then in spring its insane wind.

So, we are planning on getting out, maybe to Texas or Georgia so my wife can be closer to her son in Ft Lauderdale Florida. Those two states do not tax retirement income. Florida doesn't either, so we may look at the panhandle where housing is much cheaper than south Fl. Biggest issue with those states though is summer heat and humidity. But I will take that over this intense cold any day.

We may even head down to Pahrump Nevada which would be a lot easier move and much warmer winters. We don't even consider Wa or Or because of their politics. Idaho is nice, but again, pretty rough winters. No matter where you go, you will not enjoy the weather you have now.

#2426043 - 12/30/17 06:16 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
SV_MOPARS Offline
super stock

Loc: simi valley,califOnia
a friend moved to oregon 4 years ago, he is now in show low arizona, i warned him about oregon, i guess he had to find out the hard way. if you have not been to prescott arizona yet, find some time and check it out, 5200 ft elevation makes all 4 seasons quite comfortable, chino valley [just a few miles from downtown prescott] is more affordable, or you can live in the pines if you don't mind a little more snow. the people, politics and geographical location of this area sounds like it might suit your fancy, it does mine, buying some property there this spring.

Edited by SV_MOPARS (12/30/17 06:17 PM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,535 Registered Members
32 Forums
194,056 Topics
2,266,646 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Small Block Head ??
by Kindafast