Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2425673 - 12/30/17 04:08 AM Oil Change Shop Observation
Evil Spirit Offline
master

Loc: Newport, Mi
My beater 99 V6 Dakota was long overdue for "sludge removal" - I quit going by mileage long ago, and now judge service intervals by counting the empty containers of dinosaur whizz in the bed from adding oil and change the oil when there are about a dozen. Today I see a Pennzoil quickie lube sign showing a full service for $19.99 and decide it's "time". So I pull into the bay and after the usual sales upgrade suggestions which would pretty much require a financing consultant or an intervention, they finally start doing the basic "full service" that their sign suggests. So when it's time to add the oil they make a big production that they are adding "the good" Pennzoil oil out of a 5 qt container. Now in all fairness, I expected generic drum oil at that price, and they didn't state Pennzoil oil on the sign. It was just funny that they made a big deal about using "the good" oil, yet when they opened the container, they didn't have to crack a cap seal, or remove the foil seal. Hmmmmmm. They were pouring out of a pre-opened jug LOL. So I ask the guy how many people notice that the container wasn't sealed, and they had probably been filling the jug with generic drum oil and just using the "good oil" jug to transfer the cheap oil from the pump to the truck? They sorta all looked at each other and tried to play dumb about it. After acting pizzed for a little while to watch them squirm, I finally started laughing and let them off the hook. I guess I was the first one that had called them out on it, and they didn't have an answer prepared. And like I said - their sign didn't specify Pennzoil, so anything they added would have been legit - it was just funny how they "presented" the container for my approval, like I was approving of a lobster in a fancy restaurant.

#2425680 - 12/30/17 06:45 AM Re: Oil Change Shop Observation [Re: Evil Spirit]
maxwedge1 Offline
mopar

Loc: PA
They have no trouble fooling 99% of their customers most have never opened
the hood on a vehicle. Reminds me of the days of the old cans and spouts when you would be told "you are a quart low" and they would get out the ole' empty quart can and bring you up to full !

#2425683 - 12/30/17 07:13 AM Re: Oil Change Shop Observation [Re: Evil Spirit]
therocks Offline
Its Lost

Loc: Niles , Ohio
Could have still been Peenzoil.I guess you might not know it does come in 55 gallon drums.We used to get valvoline at the shop in drums.Not just that but we also had 300 gallon containers that they would fill straight from the valvoline truck.We got 5w30 10w30 5w20 etc.Ony time we used oil from bottles was if soeone asked for say kendall.It was cheaper by about 30 censt a quart in bulk form.Not just that but typically shops with cheaper oil changes that dont charge you for everything under the sun extra with it make little on oil changes.Typically shops dont get a discount at parts stores on fluids either.Oh yeah we did lots of oil changes.Independent shops and had to do them even though i was a master tech with over 30 years experience.One of the favorite ploys of large places is to charge oil disposal fee and other hidden charges.had one guy that thought our 24 buck price was too much.went to a bi brand place that was like 4 bucks cheaper.By the time he left with tax and fees he paid close to 33 bucks.We only charged for mre tha 5 quarts,special oils like ones that required full syntheteic etc.Rocky

#2425708 - 12/30/17 08:38 AM Re: Oil Change Shop Observation [Re: Evil Spirit]
DaytonaTurbo Offline

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
I'm not so sure rocky, I work at a heavy duty truck shop and we have rotella 15w40 in 300 gallon totes as well as a couple varieties of 10w30 and 55 gallon drums of 75w90, 80w90, 50w, hydraulic oil, etc and bulk oil pricing discounts are a big part of the biz. We don't even do many oil changes compared to a quick lube type place yet we have a steady stream of sales reps coming in trying to offer us a better deal. For a quick lube place to offer a 19.99 oil change I can't imagine they are paying over $10/gallon. You're right it could be the cheapest stuff penzoil sells, I'm sure they have a bottom dollar product they sell to quickie lube shops.

#2425773 - 12/30/17 10:43 AM Re: Oil Change Shop Observation [Re: DaytonaTurbo]
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
Those 55 gallon drums probably contain recycled oil.

#2425776 - 12/30/17 10:48 AM Re: Oil Change Shop Observation [Re: Evil Spirit]
mopars4ever Offline
I Live Here

Loc: md
I don`t know about Pennzoil but the 5 quart jugs I buy of Quakerstate oil doesn`t have a tin foil seal. The cap does come off real easy too. They should have a dumpster full of plastic jugs though.

#2425780 - 12/30/17 10:54 AM Re: Oil Change Shop Observation [Re: Evil Spirit]
therocks Offline
Its Lost

Loc: Niles , Ohio
The drums dont contain recycled oil unless you order it.I know when we bought drums they were all sealed at factory.Even when we were Sohio and BP we got 55 drums with new oil.Did save some cash but not much.We pretty much paid a little less than bottles even from parts store.on a 24 buck change we made appx 4 or 5 bucks.Not much but vrought peole in.Every gallon jug Ive bought has a foil seal and Ive opend thousands.Dont use Pennzoil because to me it leaves crud as does Quaker State.Only Valvoline Kendall or Mobil.Rocky

#2426177 - 12/30/17 11:35 PM Re: Oil Change Shop Observation [Re: therocks]
Evil Spirit Offline
master

Originally Posted By therocks
Could have still been Peenzoil. I guess you might not know it does come in 55 gallon drums..Rocky

Yeah, fully aware that Pennzoil comes in 55 gallon drums. Also aware that there are several levels of most name brand conventional oils available in bulk through distributors, along with synthetic blends, synthetics, etc., not to mention the generic drum oils. I can buy off brand 55 gallon drums of SN rated synthetic blend oil for well under $300 all day long, which puts it at about $1.30 or less a qt. I'm sure shopping around distributors would cut costs even less. Local semi truck repair shop gets Rotella 15W40 delivered to their 500 gallon tank by pump truck. And even Walmart sells 55 gallon drums of oil for about $350. So yeah, I'm pretty aware of what comes in 55 gallon drums, or in bulk, and the cost differences between the different oils and amounts.

Jug had no foil seal on it, and no broken off section of the caps lock ring. Once I called them out on it and they saw I wasn't going to raise a stink, they never mentioned that it was drum Pennzoil. Sign ad or invoice doesn't say brand of oil - just 10w30 - so it isn't fraud to use off-brand oils. It was just funny the way they presented the oil jug for my benefit - twice - as if it was top line product, when even IF it was the Penn oil - it would have just been the entry level dino oil.

#2426223 - 12/31/17 04:58 AM Re: Oil Change Shop Observation [Re: Evil Spirit]
Grizzly Offline
master

Loc: at work
Your oil change intervals reminds of my neighbor: he leases three rather expensive rides and never changes the oil........ever. grin

He just giggles about it when he turned his last Ecoboost in with the original oil still in it. He hates dealerships worse than I do. laugh2

#2426245 - 12/31/17 08:25 AM Re: Oil Change Shop Observation [Re: therocks]
Mr T2U Offline
master

Loc: new berlin wisconsin
Originally Posted By therocks
One of the favorite ploys of large places is to charge oil disposal fee.

they do this at our shop. the part that makes me laugh is the old oil is used to heat the building. they do so many oil changes and the new building is well insulated the heat is set at 90* 24 hours a day just to burn off the excess oil.

#2426248 - 12/31/17 08:42 AM Re: Oil Change Shop Observation [Re: Evil Spirit]
Orange_Crush Offline
Belieber!

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that mysterious "exra quart."

Every time I go to an oil change place, they can never charge me what's on the sign because the car took an extra quart. It's amazing. Even when they say, for example, that the price is for a four quart change and I know my car's capacify is exactly four quarts because I've changed it myself...they still have to add that extra quart!

And that last quart seems to ne made out of crushed diamonds and unicorn tears because they charge something like 10 or 15 bucks for it.

I don't really mind because its usually still cheaper, and definitely faster, than doing it myself, but it always makes me laugh.

#2426261 - 12/31/17 09:23 AM Re: Oil Change Shop Observation [Re: Evil Spirit]
2boltmain Offline
master

Loc: MI Allegan county
Im lucky to have a place to change my own oil and easy legal ree oil disposal (my employers shop). But I encourage people who pay to have their oil changed to pony up the extra $$ and have a trusted independent repair shop do it and not the typical quickie lube.

#2426268 - 12/31/17 09:44 AM Re: Oil Change Shop Observation [Re: Grizzly]
formula_s Offline
master

Loc: North Pole,New York
[quote=Grizzly]Your oil change intervals reminds of my neighbor: he leases three rather expensive rides and never changes the oil........ever. grin

He just giggles about it when he turned his last Ecoboost in with the original oil still in it. He hates dealerships worse than I do. laugh2 [/quote

What do the exterior of his cars look like??

#2426337 - 12/31/17 11:52 AM Re: Oil Change Shop Observation [Re: Grizzly]
Evil Spirit Offline
master

Originally Posted By Grizzly
Your oil change intervals reminds of my neighbor: he leases three rather expensive rides and never changes the oil........ever. grin

He just giggles about it when he turned his last Ecoboost in with the original oil still in it. He hates dealerships worse than I do. laugh2

Yeah, I know people that brag about abusing their lease cars too.

As to the Dakota - it has 250K+ miles on it and doesn't have a clean panel on it - pretty rusty. Even using the "12 qt" rule - that's still probably only about 5K miles - I could probably just spin a fresh filter on it and be good to go! Realistically it gets as little maintenance as possible simply because it is a $500 truck and isn't worth putting money into.

My Dodge Ram is a nice truck - was pampered from day one - and it gets regular maintenance like it should. Oil doesn't even change colors between services - I could probably use it's drain oil in the Dakota. Hmmmmmm, I might be on to something there LOL

#2426402 - 12/31/17 01:20 PM Re: Oil Change Shop Observation [Re: Evil Spirit]
11secdart Offline
master

Loc: new jersey usa
I take my daily commuter car to the dealer as it doesn't cost much and usually have a coupon . two years ago I was backing my trailer up my steep driveway with my H.Q.C. and the trans slipped a little so I stopped right away turns out it was a quart low on fluid. i decided to bring it to a racer friends brothers trans/ general repair shop to have the trans serviced, he did and said the trans was fine. I don't use the truck much anymore just for towing the race car and on occasion when its snows a lot, its an 08 and had 45,000 miles at the time. while he had it i said " you might as well change the engine oil while its there" I was on there road doing a delivery for my job and my cell phone rings, " Bill theres a problem with your truck" I figured he wrecked it on a test drive or something turns out they put the new filter on but never put oil in it backed it out of the shop and seized the motor. I have known him and his brother for years they are very honest, religious guys this isn't like them as they have done other work for me and its always been top notch. He said he couldn't get a new 5.7 Hemi only a reman. which was fine , the swap was a big job and the bill was over$5500 my only request was for a new water pump, starter and alternator be put in while it was apart. It only cost me a few hundred bucks for the new parts and his insurance company covered his expenses.The motor does have a warranty which is great. Now I have a 9 nine year old truck in good shape with a good trans and new motor. he told me not to tow with it until I put a few hundred miles on it then bring it back for an oil change, i did and was getting ready to go to a test and tune and went to him for an oil change he did it but charged me for it… really? you blow my motor, have my truck for a month then charge me for an oil change i paid for it and never went back. I see his brother at the track on occasion he still apologizes for his brothers mistake in blowing the motor I was angry but just let it go…. you just never know

Attachments
IMG_0260.jpg

Edited by 11secdart (12/31/17 01:26 PM)
2013 Island Dragway Street Eliminator Points Champion
2014 Raceway Park ( R.I.P. 2018 ) 11.50 Index Points Champion

#2426571 - 12/31/17 03:29 PM Re: Oil Change Shop Observation [Re: Evil Spirit]
parksr5 Offline
mopar

Loc: Oh
I've only taken one car in for an oil change twice in my life because there was snow on the ground and I did not have a garage to use to change it myself. The first time, as I was about to fire it up, I noticed something sticking out of the hood. I popped the hood and got out and found that they shut my dipstick in between the hood and the header panel which was fiberglass. The dipstick left an indentation in the glass and messed the paint up a little. That's when I also found that they spilled oil all down my exhaust manifold.

The second time, they argued with me for about 10 minutes regarding how much oil the car took. I told them repeatedly and they told me I was wrong. I finally got the owner's manual out and showed them.

After that, I told myself that I would never again let anyone change my oil and I haven't. There are competent people out there but, there are also some not so bright people; I would rather know that things are done right. This also applies to almost 95% of the repairs that any of my vehicles need. If I have the ability to do it, I normally do.

For years, even if I can't use my garage to change oil in the Winter, I put the Carhartts on and lay in the snow.

#2427170 - 01/01/18 12:55 PM Re: Oil Change Shop Observation [Re: 2boltmain]
68SportFury Offline
master

Loc: Glen Burnie MD
I stopped using the quick-lube places when they decided they weren't going to stock multiple grades of oil anymore. No, 5W30 will not be OK in my 200,000-mile 318.

I've been getting the Charger done at the dealer--I buy the oil-change policies, so not only do I get the oil changed without any shenanigans about oil weights or capacity, I get the full inspection every time and the tires rotated every other time. I think I'm gonna do the same with the Challenger.
11 Charger Rallye
17 Challenger SXT Plus

#2427257 - 01/01/18 02:33 PM Re: Oil Change Shop Observation [Re: maxwedge1]
340SIX Offline

Loc: Mardi Gras-Land
I bet they do that all day long hoping to get tips
I have a 10 year old Honda Civic. It just turned 60K miles.
The dealer started with some free pack. Since i need proof for warranty I let them do it free. Then was so cheap I let them keep since they do a while service check.
Then I git a letter in the mail. Honda lost a class action suit! I got a lifetime motor as long as original owner. She goes to the same reputable local mechanics shop here every time. And gets the paper that it was done, and they sign the book. It is $5 bucks more than i can do it for

#2427261 - 01/01/18 02:41 PM Re: Oil Change Shop Observation [Re: formula_s]
Grizzly Offline
master

Loc: at work
Originally Posted By formula_s
[quote=Grizzly]Your oil change intervals reminds of my neighbor: he leases three rather expensive rides and never changes the oil........ever. grin

He just giggles about it when he turned his last Ecoboost in with the original oil still in it. He hates dealerships worse than I do. laugh2 [/quote

What do the exterior of his cars look like??

Like "rentals", as he calls them......which they are, right? Salt all over them for months, get washed when it rains kind of thing.

I'd never buy a used vehicle that was leased, you don't know what that thing has been through. shocked

#2427293 - 01/01/18 03:27 PM Re: Oil Change Shop Observation [Re: Grizzly]
buildanother Offline
I Live Here

Loc: chicagoland,usa
I get the oil usually at Blains Farm and Fleet lately. There's usually some on sale, in quarts with no foil and they have the lock ring that usually stays with cap but tears/breaks upon removal. Gonna keep changing at 3500-4000k miles on daily 4.7 durango. Got 190k now, and might do the chains, guides on front of eng for prevention sake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,532 Registered Members
32 Forums
193,976 Topics
2,265,642 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
hood
by GVH
10/18/18 06:45 AM
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Blue
by tomsjack
10/18/18 03:55 AM
New Cadillac XT4 Commercial . . . Mopar showing !
by a12rag
10/17/18 11:43 PM
draining a 42re pan
by rhad
10/17/18 10:52 PM