Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 10 11 >
Topic Options
#2424413 - 12/27/17 12:24 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: fastmark]
QuickBpBp Offline
master

Loc: SE PA.
Originally Posted By fastmark
There was a young woman killed just recently by her two pits that she had raised from pups. I did not bother to post it because of all the controversy that springs up on this site when they are mentioned. She was walking them in the woods and never came back. The dad called the sheriff and they found her dead. The dogs were eating her. I’ve had plenty of dogs in my life of other breeds that I don’t think would ever try to kill and eat me.

I posted about that one and it went "poof" quickly. They had picked up 60 plus pieces of evidence scattered around while the dogs visciously guarded what was left of her... Having been bitten by a pit bull who was a "sweetheart" with-in minutes of meeting her I don't have faith in that breed to own one...

#2424429 - 12/27/17 12:48 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: mopargem]
Orange_Crush Online   content
Belieber!

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I think that one of the major problems with pitbulls (the breeds lumped into the pitbull category) are not the breeds themselves, rather, its the amount of damage that the breeds can do. There are craploads of pitbulls out there, but only a small percentage result in news stories. The problem is that, unlike a vicious chihuahua, a vicious bull can and will kill someone. Couple this with the fact that, in many cases, owners see their dogs as guns you can pet and we have a problem.

A pitbull is a working breed, much like a German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Doberman, Kuvasz, etc. These are meant to be protector breeds and, as such, require an inordinate amount of attention and discipline from their owners. If they are just left to their own devices and not properly trained, they will become vicious. I have seen it with a lot of different breeds...even seemingly benign dogs like labs.

The thing is, Shepherds, Rotts, Dobermans, etc. are also very intelligent dogs that have been carefully bred through generations to have a certain temperament.

Having known a former breeder of game dogs, I can tell you that intelligence was not on the priority list. The guy I knew put down pups which didn't have a certain amount of aggressiveness...and he was one of many who did the same thing. A lot of those genes have made it into the "family dog" bull bloodlines out there. In 99.99% of cases, it's never an issue...but that .01 will invariably result in grievous bodily harm or death.

But to say that the entire breed needs to be eliminated, well, I equate that to saying that the second amendment needs to be repealed because of mass shootings.

#2424436 - 12/27/17 12:54 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: QuickBpBp]
Guitar Jones Offline
master

Loc: in a cattle trailer down by th...
Originally Posted By QuickBpBp
There was a young woman killed just recently by her two pits that she had raised from pups. I did not bother to post it because of all the controversy that springs up on this site when they are mentioned. She was walking them in the woods and never came back. The dad called the sheriff and they found her dead. The dogs were eating her. I’ve had plenty of dogs in my life of other breeds that I don’t think would ever try to kill and eat me.

I posted about that one and it went "poof" quickly. They had picked up 60 plus pieces of evidence scattered around while the dogs visciously guarded what was left of her... Having been bitten by a pit bull who was a "sweetheart" with-in minutes of meeting her I don't have faith in that breed to own one...

It's too bad these delusional pit defenders haven't had the joy of one of their loved ones being permanently disabled, mangled, or disfigured by one of their sweet little doggies. Or have the never ending happiness of paying a million+ dollar settlement after one of their babies has killed a neighborhood child. I can only hope that they too will share in the joy that so many victims of these stupid dogs have had to endure.

#2424453 - 12/27/17 01:07 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: mopargem]
A39Coronet Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Usa
Based on that open ended statement, ANY dog breed with an occurrence of violence falls under the same umbrella.

One attack is too many...regardless of breed. If you put a black lab in the hands of a bad owner, you're gonna have issues. Same reason why some people raise kids who commit crimes, and some people don't.

#2424463 - 12/27/17 01:19 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: mopargem]
justinp61 Offline
master

Loc: W. Kentucky
In a case like this I wonder what will happen to the dogs owner? DUI drivers can and have gone to jail for many years for killing people. IMO they should get life sentences with no possibility for parole. My guess is dogs owner may get a couple years and be free to do as he pleases while the woman's spouse deals with the attack the rest of his life. I hate to say this, but if it happened to my wife it would be hard for me not to seek my own justice.

#2424465 - 12/27/17 01:20 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: fastmark]
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

Loc: On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
I posted that one. It was deleted after a bunch of pro-pitbull members cried about it.

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

#2424468 - 12/27/17 01:22 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: Pkeel]
amxautox Offline

Originally Posted By Pkeel
While you are correct, it is only partially.

Pit Bulls have been chosen by people as the breed they wish to have for its "aggressive" attitude. Unfortunately, that means that there are now a subset of these dogs bred intentionally for aggression.

For people to say, I have two sweet and good pit bulls, doesn't have anything to do with this whole other subset of people that don't want a sweet dispositioned dog.

Should the breed be banned? I don't know, plenty of other dogs can be bred for aggression, are we just going to keep allowing people that want to breed irresponsibly to decide what breeds can and can't be bred?

Might be a better idea to prevent certain people from having pets at all.
But you don't know which people those are, until their dogs injure or kill someone. And I don't know what kind of test can be done to find those people before they get any dog.

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

#2424469 - 12/27/17 01:22 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: mopargem]
Hemi_Joel Offline
master

Loc: Minnesota
We came close to disaster. Way back, my boss convinced me to drink the Koolaid that all the pit defenders have drunk. We got a good looking, well bred pup, it lived indoors and outdoors and was treated very well. Now this is really strange, but when the dog was about a year old, she started going into the laundry room, taking my wifes pantys out of the basket and shredding the crotches out of them (honest, it wasn't me) smirk Then she started acting slightly aggressive towards my wife. One day the wife came home and the dog would not let her out of the car. It took on a very vicious stance, showing its teeth and growling at her whenever she tried to get out. It held her prisoner there for a hour and a half until I got home. The scary thing is that if she had got out of the car before the dog saw her, it might have killed her.
Shortly after, I disposed of the dog. Never again!

#2424471 - 12/27/17 01:24 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: DaytonaTurbo]
amxautox Offline

Originally Posted By DaytonaTurbo

I read that story in the news too. I thought it was sad but how dumb do you have to be, 100lb woman with two 200lb dogs that she couldn't hope to control should the need arise. To me that's gross negligence.
It's called 'socialization', and 'proper obedience training'. AND a dog with a proper temperament.

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

#2424473 - 12/27/17 01:26 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: Guitar Jones]
amxautox Offline

Originally Posted By Guitar Jones
My St. Bernard mix knocked a 5 year old over and then proceeded to lick him to death on Christmas day.

It was so very sad....
Yup, Cherokee did that to a 10 year old girl. Her mother just stood there and didn't move, she was so scared and petrified. And they had Siberian Huskies.

work

Oh ya, the girl was laughing to death.

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

#2424474 - 12/27/17 01:26 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: mopargem]
NewbombTurkk Offline
master

Loc: West Virginia
that woman hiker wasn't a crackhead or criminal, and she had two pits attack and eat her last month....so it isn't necessary the crackheads who are normally associated with them....it is the BREED people....not the owners.....the BREED..the DNA makeup makes them vicious....most pit owners are crackheads because it takes a lack of brains to put your trust into one.

Now 1972 El Camino, original 402

#2424475 - 12/27/17 01:27 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: Orange_Crush]
amxautox Offline

Originally Posted By Orange_Crush
How about this video of a couple of vicious dogs attacking a kitten

Video
Oh Man!!!

That cat doesn't have a chance! Poor kitty.

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

#2424478 - 12/27/17 01:32 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: Hemi_Joel]
amxautox Offline

Originally Posted By Hemi_Joel
We came close to disaster. Way back, my boss convinced me to drink the Koolaid that all the pit defenders have drunk. We got a good looking, well bred pup, it lived indoors and outdoors and was treated very well. Now this is really strange, but when the dog was about a year old, she started going into the laundry room, taking my wifes pantys out of the basket and shredding the crotches out of them (honest, it wasn't me) smirk Then she started acting slightly aggressive towards my wife. One day the wife came home and the dog would not let her out of the car. It took on a very vicious stance, showing its teeth and growling at her whenever she tried to get out. It held her prisoner there for a hour and a half until I got home. The scary thing is that if she had got out of the car before the dog saw her, it might have killed her.
That dog was taking over the female side of the pack, and wanted to eliminate your wife as your wife was the breeding competition.

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

#2424484 - 12/27/17 01:43 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: amxautox]
Orange_Crush Online   content
Belieber!

Loc: Charlotte, NC

You did the right thing.

The rule with animals in my house (especially dogs) is that if it is aggressive towards any member of the family, it immediately lears a painful lesson. If it does it again, it goes on a final ride.

I have never had a problem with an aggressive dog. I had a neighbor who was one of those "never punish the dog because it's a member of the family" types. I walked into his house and it went for my crotch. Fortunately, I'm always careful around new dogs and I slapped it's snout so hard I sent it sliding across the floor. I never had a problem with that dog again, though it bit his kid and his wife and he finally had to give it to a rescue.

Dogs require a strong alpha or they will become dangerous.

#2424492 - 12/27/17 02:06 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: A39Coronet]
Guitar Jones Offline
master

Loc: in a cattle trailer down by th...
Originally Posted By A39Coronet
Based on that open ended statement, ANY dog breed with an occurrence of violence falls under the same umbrella.

One attack is too many...regardless of breed. If you put a black lab in the hands of a bad owner, you're gonna have issues. Same reason why some people raise kids who commit crimes, and some people don't.

Not even close. Sure any dog can be aggressive and any dog can bite. The difference is (and this is what you defenders fail to acknowledge) that NO DOG does it like a pit. And once they have made that decision you can't even beat them off with a baseball bat! Why do you think cops don't use them for their K9 units? Because they are stupid, once they attack they don't stop. Pits make up about 6% of the canine population yet they are responsible for 71% of the fatalities from dog attacks. They attack more often and with much greater severity.

You guys always want to blame the owners and granted they are responsible for their dogs actions but you can't blame the owners for the dogs DNA. Perfectly good owners have had pits attack and kill children.

Give me one, just one good reason why any animal capable of bringing down a 1000 pound feral bovine or a 500 pound feral hog should be allowed in a residential neighborhood.

#2424497 - 12/27/17 02:14 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: Orange_Crush]
amxautox Offline

Originally Posted By Orange_Crush

You did the right thing.

The rule with animals in my house (especially dogs) is that if it is aggressive towards any member of the family, it immediately lears a painful lesson. If it does it again, it goes on a final ride.

I have never had a problem with an aggressive dog. I had a neighbor who was one of those "never punish the dog because it's a member of the family" types. I walked into his house and it went for my crotch. Fortunately, I'm always careful around new dogs and I slapped it's snout so hard I sent it sliding across the floor. I never had a problem with that dog again, though it bit his kid and his wife and he finally had to give it to a rescue.

Dogs require a strong alpha or they will become dangerous.

And sometimes a rescue can't handle or save a dog. The other day I read a news story where a woman rescue person was killed by a dog she was trying to train/socialize. No it wasn't a pit, it was an Akita.

http://www.ajc.com/news/national/volunte...tsRwx1KzHGeSFL/

most of the pictures in that video are NOT Akitas, they are Sheba Inu, an SMALL cousin of the Akita. And that vid wasn't in the first article I read.

Edited by amxautox (12/27/17 02:17 PM)

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

#2424501 - 12/27/17 02:19 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: Guitar Jones]
amxautox Offline

Not even close. Sure any dog can be aggressive and any dog can bite. The difference is (and this is what you defenders fail to acknowledge) that NO DOG does it like a pit. And once they have made that decision you can't even beat them off with a baseball bat! Why do you think cops don't use them for their K9 units? Because they are stupid, once they attack they don't stop. Pits make up about 6% of the canine population yet they are responsible for 71% of the fatalities from dog attacks. They attack more often and with much greater severity.

You guys always want to blame the owners and granted they are responsible for their dogs actions but you can't blame the owners for the dogs DNA. Perfectly good owners have had pits attack and kill children.

Give me one, just one good reason why any animal capable of bringing down a 1000 pound feral bovine or a 500 pound feral hog should be allowed in a residential neighborhood.
Also a Pit ISN'T a guard dog, it is an ATTACK dog for herding, and such, of the mentioned bovines and hogs.

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

#2424502 - 12/27/17 02:20 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: Guitar Jones]
RS23U1G Offline
Biggest Windbag on Moparts,Puff. Puff Puff.

Loc: Detroit

I can...

But it would probably be considered 'offensive'...

#2424507 - 12/27/17 02:27 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: RS23U1G]
amxautox Offline

Originally Posted By RS23U1G

I can...

But it would probably be considered 'offensive'...
'protect' drug dealers and manufacturers?

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

#2424535 - 12/27/17 03:42 PM Re: Another vicious dog attack [Re: Guitar Jones]
A39Coronet Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Usa

NY and Ohio both began to use Pit breeds as K9. They are cheaper than German raised Shepard's, and proven to be just as trainable despite your opinion they're "stupid", which I HOPE is based on actual first hand experience...

https://www.google.com/amp/fox8.com/2017...n-of-breed/amp/

"Pitbulls" are made up of over a dozen different formal breeds of K9, where as a German Shepard/Rot/Doberman are all just one. Their stats are heavily over reported because everything from Staffordshire terrior to American bully funnel up to the "pitbull" category.

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 10 11 >

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Forum Stats
25,068 Registered Members
32 Forums
185,587 Topics
2,157,212 Posts

Most users ever online: 882 @ 03/05/17 10:15 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
TRAVELERS INSURANCE
by Magnumguy