Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2422694 - 12/23/17 12:58 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: RSNOMO]
feets Offline
Senior Management

Loc: Irving, TX
Originally Posted By RS23U1G
More Moparts armchair quarterbacking...

If you've never entered the world of alcohol, or drugs, then you have absolutely NO idea of the effect it could or would have...

If you're not the progeny of parents who abuse drugs, or alcohol, then you have absolutely NO idea of the effect it could or would have...

Ever heard of fetal alcohol syndrome???

Come here and go down to Detroit Receiving and talk to 'em about crack babies...

They have been dealt a dirty hand right out of the birth channel...

They had no say in the 'choice'...

Some of us have been born into it and surrounded by it from birth into adulthood.

Babies born addicted? Yep! We've had one of those, too.

Despite all this, December 5th marked 47 years of sobriety for me.
It was my 47th birthday.

I made that choice despite the heavy influences in my early life.

#2422701 - 12/23/17 01:22 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Greenwood]
feets Offline
Senior Management

Originally Posted By Greenwood
Back in my machine shop days, I had to contend with a number of "payday millionaires". You simply could not pay these guys except Monday-Wednesday. If you paid on Thursday or Friday, you were out a day's production.

In the example I listed I would not hand out the employee's paychecks until 4:00 on Friday afternoon. At that point there was only 30 of production time left before they needed to shut down the machines and do the weekly maintenance.

#2422704 - 12/23/17 01:41 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Orange_Crush]
CKessel Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Los Osos, Ca
When people don't want to own their issues, they look for other avenues to put the blame on. People need to own their mistakes and softies need to stop enabling them. Having bad employees in the work place for sure poisons other workers morale and ethics. Unfortunatly the law has gotten in it, sometimes good sometimes bad as thats why its there. There are misuses on both sides of the line.

#2422705 - 12/23/17 01:44 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Orange_Crush]
HemiSportFury Offline
enthusiast

Loc: State That's Gone to Pot
Anyone who has been in supervision/management for any length of time is going to have horror stories about problem employees. I’ve had to deal with my share, that’s for sure. But in the spirit of Christmas, what are your success stories as a supervisor: problem employees that you have turned around.

One that comes to mind for me was a young guy working in 24/7 operations who couldn’t go two weeks without missing work. Since it was operations when someone missed work someone else had to be called in on their day off or the shift covered in some manner by the two other shifts (one working a double or split between both shifts). Either way it was very unpopular and created overtime. Well, this guy got to the point where he had used all his vacation and sick leave, so I called him in and told him if he missed work without have PTO to cover it he would be fired.

To my surprise, he want about two months before he missed a day of work, and he was legitimately sick. When he came to work the next day, I was in the control room and saw him walking across the plant floor. He saw me so he tried to avoid me by bypassing the control room, but I ducked out and caught him. When he saw me his face dropped and he looked like it was the end of the world. I stuck out my hand to shake his and said “Congratulations (insert name). You just went two months without missing a day of work.” He straightened up as a big smile came over his face. He never had a problem after that and he went on to be a very good long term employee.

There are others I recall too where the right word at the right time made all the difference. Those are the moments I’m most proud of.
'14 Rubicon Unlimited
'03 Ram 2500 CTD HO, 6-speed

#2422713 - 12/23/17 02:13 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: HemiSportFury]
feets Offline
Senior Management

Originally Posted By HemiSportFury
But in the spirit of Christmas, what are your success stories as a supervisor: problem employees that you have turned around.

I haven't had any that were in a position to be saved. Those that I've dealt with never had a high quality of work to begin with.

One "success story" might be in hiring a guy. At that same production company I mentioned previously I was looking to add a person. An older guy came in and applied. It struck me that someone of his apparent age would be looking for a relatively low paying job.
It turned out that he was a power service company lineman. The company was bought out by a competitor and several jobs were eliminated.
I administered timed physical aptitude tests (3D puzzles) to applicants. When he went through it the time was longer than usual but I noticed that he studied the pieces one by one and when he had made a decision the pieces went together correctly the first time.

It became apparent that the man wasn't after the pay. He wanted the benefits. To him, the relatively low paying job was worth fighting for.

The company owner balked at hiring the guy due to age but I won the fight by describing the man's willingness to do what it took to receive what we had to offer.

I put him to work. His learning curve was a bit longer than the other guys but there was very little spoiled work. I could rely on him to be there and get it done. It was obvious that he wanted what we had to offer him and he was willing to work for it.

He was still employed there years after I left.

#2422723 - 12/23/17 02:54 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: feets]
Dave Hall Offline
top fuel

Loc: Cotati, CA
That's all so true. There is a slight difference between buying, opening, pouring it in, ignoring something else and getting drunk. Two very different things. The disease lies in the BEHAVIOR of the alcoholic, not the act of drinking. In most cases the idiotic behavior is the thing that is killing these people. Most alcoholics are missing the internal STOP button anyway. Dishonesty, fear, inferiority issues, emotional problems, you name it, all occur in these people BEFORE the act of drinking. You are right that the first drink should not happen. Good for you making a choice in your life and sticking with it. Kudo's!

#2422750 - 12/23/17 04:23 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Orange_Crush]
ruderunner Offline

Loc: ohio
Maybe I'll chime in here. I fully admit I'm an alcoholic. I have beer around me and I'll drink it all.

I've never been to work drunk, seldom hung over. I owe that time to the people paying for it. I've excelled at the shop, second highest guy behind another who's been there 15 years. I can and intend to surpass him.

I pay 75% of our household bills, on time and usually in full. My kids need nothing, my wife needs nothing (other than to think of herself, for some reason she constantly plays martyr)

I'd like to stop. I'm wasting plenty of hobby money on beer. But since I'm the responsible one, any money I save for hobbies is quickly squandered by others. No amount of asking, pleading explaining or screaming gets through.

I drink because it's the quickest way to forget life and spend my earnings on myself.

A disease? Maybe. A choice? For me yes, for others maybe. Dies it matter? No! We all have reasons for drinking. Maybe if the accusers took a look at what they cause, they can help those they are hurting.

Has my wife talked to me about this? Yes. Has she listened? Nope. Never doesn't even register with her.ive tried to explain but she just finds reasons to ignore me. The problems are deeper than just I drink. There's reasons why I drink but she doesn't want to acknowledge them.

So I continue to drink, she continues to spoil the kid. When I'm unable to support I guess she's going to have to figure it out. God have mercy on us...

Edited by ruderunner (12/23/17 04:34 PM)

#2422845 - 12/23/17 07:12 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Orange_Crush]
Diego (not Ted) Offline

Loc: Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
What is addiction?

What is disease?

Where does alcoholism fit in?

I don't have the answers.

But I do feel that an open mind is needed. This is true with plenty of flavors of the day that creep upon us one way or another (a certain Olympian comes to mind). Asking for grace is not too much to ask for, is it?

So for those who insist alcoholism is a choice, read up on studies in the ensuing days while you're sitting on the couch, full of heartburn, and let us know whether stubbornly digging your heels helped you arrive at the same prevailing wisdom scientists have.

For those of you who hits the bottle or have been in close contact with one who lives the battle, you should check out a neat book called "The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business."

#2422862 - 12/23/17 07:49 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Orange_Crush]
Morty426 Offline
master

Loc: Sacramento CA
I have had to lay people off - it sucks.

I never had to fire anyone. However I have had people that fired themselves.

#2422876 - 12/23/17 08:14 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Morty426]
Iowan Offline
super stock

Loc: Lost in Time
Originally Posted By Morty426

I never had to fire anyone. However I have had people that fired themselves.

Been there done that! Lol

"obsolete is neat, the older I get the better I was"

#2422884 - 12/23/17 08:24 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Diego (not Ted)]
Supercuda Offline
I Live Here

Loc: up yours
Originally Posted By Diego (not Ted)

So for those who insist alcoholism is a choice, read up on studies in the ensuing days while you're sitting on the couch, full of heartburn, and let us know whether stubbornly digging your heels helped you arrive at the same prevailing wisdom scientists have.

Would you like a list of "prevailing wisdoms" scientists have been wrong about? Especially soft sciences?

You believe what you want, I'll believe what I want and as long as we act within our beliefs and not force them on others who cares?

But I have found there is a large group of people who like to portray themselves as kind, considerate, helpful, can't we all just get along types who's solutions are to force everyone to comply with their beliefs, resistance is futile.

No thanks

#2422923 - 12/23/17 09:29 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Supercuda]
Diego (not Ted) Offline

Originally Posted By Supercuda

Would you like a list of "prevailing wisdoms" scientists have been wrong about? Especially soft sciences?

Yet science builds upon our knowledge of the past to arrive at a conclusion that evolves as we continue to acquire more.

So, yeah, I get it – the world is not flat, but how round it is?

The puritanical urge to dismiss alcoholics is no different than that towards the homeless, the handicapped, the elderly, and anyone else who simply can't help themselves. Those who study alcohol, addiction, etc. prefer a different approach, and those prone to judgment should give that consideration even if they have to suspend disbelief.

Cuz when it comes to people, it's always good policy to let them be heard rather than come off like a jackass.

#2422947 - 12/23/17 10:31 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Diego (not Ted)]
Spaceman Spiff Online   penguin-006
master

Loc: jersey
What is addiction?

What is disease?

Where does alcoholism fit in?

I don't have the answers.

But I do feel that an open mind is needed. This is true with plenty of flavors of the day that creep upon us one way or another (a certain Olympian comes to mind). Asking for grace is not too much to ask for, is it?

For those of you who hits the bottle or have been in close contact with one who lives the battle, you should check out a neat book called "The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business."

So, how does one contract the disease of alcoholism, if they CHOOSE not to drink?? Can it be contracted through sex, like STD's? Can i get it from a dirty needle? How do these "scientists" say i can contract this disease? There's a reason the suffix ISM is at the end of the word.....

#2422953 - 12/23/17 10:42 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Spaceman Spiff]
Diego (not Ted) Offline

Originally Posted By Spaceman Spiff

So, how does one contract the disease of alcoholism, if they CHOOSE not to drink?? Can it be contracted through sex, like STD's? Can i get it from a dirty needle? How do these "scientists" say i can contract this disease? There's a reason the suffix ISM is at the end of the word.....

You have the Internet at your disposal. Bon voyage.........

#2423044 - 12/24/17 09:17 AM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Diego (not Ted)]
Spaceman Spiff Online   penguin-006
master

Loc: jersey

I’m asking YOU. But I knew you couldn’t answer the question. Bye Felica.

#2423067 - 12/24/17 10:29 AM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Orange_Crush]
srt Offline

Loc: Fire and Fury
Interesting tiff going on here.
Is it a disease?
Certain genetic backgrounds have been suggested to have a high percentage of addiction and or alcoholism.
Do insurance companies consider it a disease?
I have no stake in it other than I've observed more tobacco, alcohol and drug addiction in my life time than I care.
To cut down your searching voyages I fond this interesting article <-click

#2423083 - 12/24/17 11:09 AM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Orange_Crush]
hellrzr Offline
top fuel

Loc: Madrid, IA
http://www.hazeldenbettyford.org/articles/why-is-alcoholism-classified-as-a-mental-illness

Yes, insurance classifies Alcoholism as a disease and insurance will provide some assistance. You also have some protections when it comes to employment I believe.

Alcoholism is all about how you think and not about drinking. If you are an alcoholic but haven't drank for 5 years than you are still and alcoholic and that switch can be flipped in a moment.

It's a very complicated thing to deal with. It's not easy to stop when you are in the midst of your addiction. Telling an addict to just stop is like telling a normal person to just not breath. It's that serious and that obsessive when you are the one trying to stop. You deal with both a mental and physical obsession and you have to deal with it your entire life. You literately have to be broken down to a point that you are truly willing to change your life and are dedicated to stop long enough to clear your mind in order to follow a program of recovery and dedicate your life to that task for the foreseeable future.

If you or someone you know is looking for help or just has questions please attend a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous. This issue is way to deep and complicated to get advice on from Moparts. People here generally mean well but you need to work with someone who has worked through this issue in order to get the help you need.

Dave
1974 Plymouth RoadRunner - 470 stroker
1973 Plymouth Satellite Sebring , 1998 Dodge RAM Club Cab Sport

#2423094 - 12/24/17 11:24 AM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Spaceman Spiff]
hellrzr Offline
top fuel

Loc: Madrid, IA
"So, how does one contract the disease of alcoholism, if they CHOOSE not to drink?? Can it be contracted through sex, like STD's? Can i get it from a dirty needle? How do these "scientists" say i can contract this disease? There's a reason the suffix ISM is at the end of the word"

You don't contract it. You are born with it. It's not about drinking, it's about the way you think and how you deal with life. It goes far deeper than alcohol. Alcohol use it but one symptom of the problem.

One problem is most people think that someone who drinks too much is an Alcoholic. Far too often that isn't true. Many times those people are alcohol abusers. They are generally the ones who use Alcoholism as an excuse to drink or drug and say they can't help it because they have a disease.

I also feel odd thinking of it as a disease but it is a mental disease. If you haven't gone through it than it's about impossible to truly understand.

I know a guys who now hasn't drank for over 30 years. He will tell you that he is an alcoholic. Actually, I know many people like that. Stopping drinking doesn't stop alcoholism.

Dave
1974 Plymouth RoadRunner - 470 stroker
1973 Plymouth Satellite Sebring , 1998 Dodge RAM Club Cab Sport

#2423118 - 12/24/17 12:31 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Spaceman Spiff]
wunderless Offline
master

Loc: o

I’m asking YOU. But I knew you couldn’t answer the question. Bye Felica.

The disease isn’t alcoholism, but rather addiction. The question that should be at hand is, is addiction a disease? I don’t have the answer but I do not think it is as simple and basic as “just don’t do it” in all cases. Yes some addicts can just stop and move on. Some cannot. It’s called degrees of severity. Some cancers are curable, some are not.

So how does one contract the disease of Spinal Bifida? Huntington’s disease? Cystic Fibrosis? Haemophilia? Are these not diseases?

#2423132 - 12/24/17 01:04 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: wunderless]
Supercuda Offline
I Live Here

Loc: up yours
Originally Posted By wunderless

So how does one contract the disease of Spinal Bifida? Huntington’s disease? Cystic Fibrosis? Haemophilia? Are these not diseases?

None of those require conscious action to facilitate it.

There is a difference.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,532 Registered Members
32 Forums
193,951 Topics
2,265,267 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
It's going to be alot more expensive to build an engine soon
by 440sourcedotcom