Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2421437 - 12/20/17 11:17 AM Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story.
Orange_Crush Offline
Belieber!

Loc: Charlotte, NC
An employee horror story, that is.

I am going through a nightmare with one of my employees right now and the only reason this person hasn't been sent packing is because it's December 20th and I don't want the Karma fairy to leave a turd under my pillow.

Tell me some of your horror stories so that I can feel a little better about what I'm forcing myself to put up with.

#2421442 - 12/20/17 11:29 AM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Orange_Crush]
not_a_charger Offline

Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator

Loc: Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
Nope. I'm sure one of the more easily offended members would contact my employer and say that I posted company business online, and try to get me fired. It happened once before, though the allegation was totally baseless, and nothing happened to me.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#2421443 - 12/20/17 11:33 AM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: not_a_charger]
Orange_Crush Offline
Belieber!

Originally Posted By not_a_charger
Nope. I'm sure one of the more easily offended members would contact my employer and say that I posted company business online, and try to get me fired. It happened once before, though the allegation was totally baseless, and nothing happened to me.

I totally understand.

If it will (or might) get you in trouble to post something, please don't do it.

#2421456 - 12/20/17 11:59 AM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Orange_Crush]
HoosierTA Offline
master

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Don't have any, but a quote I heard from an outstanding management advisor is

"We hire for ability, we fire for character" Never shortcut for a warm body to deal with the immediate needs.

#2421461 - 12/20/17 12:12 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: HoosierTA]
Matt M Offline
mopar

Loc: Georgia
A bad hire is worse than a non hire

"Let's not confuse effort with results"

#2421467 - 12/20/17 12:25 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: not_a_charger]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Mass
Originally Posted By not_a_charger

agreed! management nowadays is so PC, catering to the lone individual whiners, going to almost any extreme to quell their hissey fits or hurt feeling syndrome, that the majority in the work force have now become a "silent majority" suffering because of the whims of a few butt hurt individuals

#2421480 - 12/20/17 01:15 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Orange_Crush]
srt Offline

Loc: Make America Rake Again
Maybe not the type of horror you want to hear.
I was in mid management and not in the position to deal with an employee that had drug and alcohol issues. Reported to my superior whom did have authority to deal with. Instead, decided to make excuses, and said lack of proof although there was substantial evidence.
Guy's wife kicked him out, became slacker at work, lots of sick and unscheduled leave and found on floor dead at 46 y.o.
If it something that can be dealt with by sitting the guy down to give him 2 options, let him make the choice. Tell him it's an early Christmas gift.
Teamwork or Freedom.
Suggestion is in parallel with what HoosierTA wrote above.

#2421491 - 12/20/17 01:45 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Orange_Crush]
feets Offline
Senior Management

Loc: Irving, TX
In a former life I was the production manager for a small company. Personnel issues were a disaster. It was by far the worst situation I'd seen.

One hourly employee who missed 58 days of work then came in demanding a pay raise. I don't know if he ever got it because on his annual review I sent him packing. That was on a Friday and I let the other guys go home an hour early with a full day's pay.

When everyone came back to work on Monday they asked where Whathisname was. My response was "Whatshisname Who?" and they got the point.

Later, I told the remaining employees that I hired two guys. When they made a comment about having only one position open I said "It looks like I don't need someone, doesn't it?"

One particularly troublesome employee (my little monster) was the only one capable of running the one machine that paid all the bills. He'd call in sick to force a Saturday and the owner would let sick time accrue towards overtime. He got upset when I started running those jobs.

I hired a new guy who had experience on that type of machine and my little monster fought back. Literally. I went to a 2 day conference and the new guy was gone when I got back. The owner was laughing when he told me that my monster smashed the new guy in the head with a toilet plunger. I refused to give the monster his requested pay increase. The owner gave him one behind my back.

A month later I found out that the company was sitting on over 2600 gallons of a chemical soup composed of methyl ethyl ketone, cyclohexanone, and toluene mixed together in 5 gallon buckets stashed in the top of the warehouse. I presented the owner with a quote for disposal. He had the monster pour a few gallons out on pans behind the building so it could evaporate. It was cheaper than disposal.

Yeah, I don't work there anymore. I didn't want to do prison time for that kind of EPA violation.

#2421504 - 12/20/17 02:45 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Orange_Crush]
markz528 Offline
master

Loc: Milford, OH
I met a guy that was an E/I supervisor at a mill. One of his employees was going thru a divorce - the employee had once stated that his wife would never get the kids.

The guy started to hit on the supervisor's wife. This went on for a few weeks. While the supervisor was trying to straighten the mess out, the guy kills the kids and himself.........

#2421506 - 12/20/17 02:47 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Orange_Crush]
Orange_Crush Offline
Belieber!

Let me give you a thumbnail sketch.

I have an employee who is going through a very difficult upheaval in life. We are a very small company and we think of ourselves a little bit like a family.

Anyway, this started back in late September. This person's work started to suffer and nothing was getting done. Since then, things have had ups and downs. I have suspected drunkenness at work a couple of times and once it was so bad that I drove this employee home because of sleeping, complete disorientation, and slurred speech.

I wrote the employee up and obtained an assurance that things would improve.

Once again, a couple of weeks later...same thing. I sent the employee home again. The next day, things seemed ok. I gave this person a list of resources to get help...local AA meetings, low cost counseling, etc. Things improved and now...once again, same issue.

I know I am being a complete sucker. But my concern is for this person's daughter more than anything. I know the type of work that this employee is capable of and I don't want to throw all the training down the drain.

When this person was hired last year, the quality of work was outstanding. A total self-starter. Learned quickly and everything. It got to the point where i was able to rely on this employee so much that I was able to concentrate on bigger strategic issue because I knew that day to day stuff would get done and done properly.

Anyway, things are to the point now that I don't have a choice. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of. I'd like to wait it out until the end of the year, but I don't want this person in the office in this condition.

Keep in mind that this person is an office employee, not a plant worker.

SO yeah, let me have it. I know I'm weak.

#2421513 - 12/20/17 02:56 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Orange_Crush]
John_Kunkel Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Rio Linda, CA
Rule #1 for employment should always be Don't bring your personal problems to the job. If you do, expect to be disciplined.

#2421517 - 12/20/17 03:00 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: HoosierTA]
BloFish Offline

Loc: Lake Oroville
My lips are sealed

'65 A100
‘68 A108
'69 Barracuda
'06 Mega Cab 2500
'14 Mercedes-Benz SLK

#2421520 - 12/20/17 03:04 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: feets]
Ramrod39 Offline
My New Title

Loc: Tucson, AZ
I "inherited" a 30ish female employee from another department in my company a few years ago. She worked for me for a year or so, but never really worked out. She did not always show up when requested, missed deadlines, busted project budgets, etc.

Meanwhile, work was slowing down and we laid her off, gave her some severance pay, and did the paperwork in a way that allowed her to collect unemployment. I even wrote her a carefully worded letter of recommendation to help her find work.

Well, a few months later, I get notification from the State Attorney General and the US EEOC that we are being sued for sexual discrimination based on the way I handled this employee.

The former employee's formal complaint was sent to me and I was allowed to formally respond. I did, in a careful and well documented way, and the complaints were dismissed. The process took months, and although I never doubted the whole thing would amount to nothing, it left a bad taste in my mouth. I no longer accept responsibility for employees I did not specifically hire.

#2421524 - 12/20/17 03:07 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Orange_Crush]
theraif Offline
master

Loc: my own world
my friend fired some one on there b-day , there was times i wish i could fire people i worked with

#2421529 - 12/20/17 03:19 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: theraif]
70Duster Offline
pro stock

Loc: PA
I had an employee that was well skilled only, in always having an excuse for not getting as much accomplished as the others on the team. I was on the job only a short time when I realized I needed to get rid of him as soon as possible. As you all probably know, the more evidence and documentation you can gather, the easier it is to fire with no repercussions later on. Finally got word from another employee as to what had been displayed on his screen earlier that day. That night I had IT run some records and found what I needed. The next day he was brought in and I fired him. When he started to deny any wrong doing, I described the evidence I had and asked him if any further discussion was needed. 'Nope' was his answer. We had undercover security on site just in case he went over the edge. A few moths later he was in jail for various illicit activities. After his departure, the morale in the department increased 10 fold and I was personally thanked by many other employees for getting rid of this guy that had existed in the company for over twenty years.

#2421547 - 12/20/17 04:23 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Orange_Crush]
Dave Hall Offline
top fuel

Loc: Cotati, CA
If the drinking is happening at work, the addiction is running pretty deep. He needs help and obviously so do you. The worst thing to do for an addicted individual is baby him or cater to his needs. Give him the option of a 28 day addiction program or his immediate release.

#2421548 - 12/20/17 04:27 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Dave Hall]
Orange_Crush Offline
Belieber!

Originally Posted By Dave Hall
If the drinking is happening at work, the addiction is running pretty deep. He needs help and obviously so do you. The worst thing to do for an addicted individual is baby him or cater to his needs. Give him the option of a 28 day addiction program or his immediate release.

I agree...that's the conclusion I've come to as well.

#2421552 - 12/20/17 04:36 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Orange_Crush]
Dave Hall Offline
top fuel

Loc: Cotati, CA
Nobody is in control of when these things happen. Consider it an early X-mas gift for him and you. Health insurance usually will cover the cost of the program once or twice. I know that you will be minus your employee but maybe there are some options with your health care provider as to how to manage that loss?

#2421591 - 12/20/17 06:02 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Dave Hall]
restoman Offline
super stock

Loc: Sarnia, Ontario
Owning a bodyshop for over 7 years, there are too many horror stories to tell...
But, the two best pieces of advice I ever got were "Don't let someone else's problems become yours" and "Don't hire someone you can't fire".
I fired a guy two days before Christmas... he screwed up so much and didn't care, that it was much easier than I thought it was going to be. Didn't lose a minute's sleep over it. I fired him for HIS behaviour, not because of mine.

#2421601 - 12/20/17 06:28 PM Re: Bosses, Managers, and Supervisors...tell me a horror story. [Re: Orange_Crush]
Supercuda Offline
I Live Here

Loc: up yours
I had a guy, a real good worker, go positive on a piss test, go told to walk him. Got him into company sponsored rehab and got his job back once he successfully passed rehab. Next piss test he popped again. I had to walk that guy twice, second time didn't bother me at all.

My guys used to come to me with all sorts of issues, most not even job related. It was like I was Dad or something, being that I was about twice their ages for the most part I guess I was.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,627 Registered Members
32 Forums
195,542 Topics
2,287,436 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Battery ID from broadcast sheet
by 340cpe
4 minutes 57 seconds ago