Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2418559 - 12/14/17 02:19 PM Re: Truck Ticketed $1005 after Santa Claus Parade [Re: Supercuda]
astjp2 Offline
master

Loc: Utah and Alaska
Every time everyone drives, they break a law or municipal code and don't even know it....for example: open toe shoes-illegal, shoes with open heel- illegal, failure to use turn signals greater 100' of an intersection- illegal, failure to use turn signals greater than 3 seconds of an intersection- illegal, have your bright lights on a divided highway with oncoming traffic and you can see their headlights- illegal, failure to yield to traffic coming up behind you in the left lane- illegal, having your bright lights and you are behind traffic and can see their taillights- illegal, how many do you break on a daily basis?

Originally Posted By Supercuda
Amazing.

Don't like the law, change it.

Don't tell a cop not to enforce it.

Cause next you'll be crying about how the cops are acting like judges deciding who to arrest and who not to arrest, oh wait you just told them to do that.

Sounds to me like the goob driving the truck knows the law regarding commercial vehicles but decided it didn't apply to him. He learned otherwise and whatever he was carrying is irrelevant. What if it had been a load of gravel and skids and the trailer broke loose because it was improperly attached and took out a bunch of kids in a school bus?

You'd be looking for a tree to string him up from.
1998 Wrangler
2008 Kia Rio
2017 Jetta

I didn't do 4 years and 9 months of Graduate School to be called Mister!

#2418561 - 12/14/17 02:22 PM Re: Truck Ticketed $1005 after Santa Claus Parade [Re: Caper1]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

Loc: N.E. OHIO, USA
There are so many things wrong with this story the way it's being told that someone is not telling the real story. If it is correct then it absolutely has to go to court and someone is either going to have some or all of the charges dropped or all of them will stick but not per the news story.

Quote:
“The [police] officer approached as we were unloading the food into the Wilmot Family Resource Centre, wearing that bright green, reflective jacket, and I knew,” said Hoffman. “I kept thinking ‘here comes the Grinch in the bright green jacket.’”

After unloading the food at the charity's Waterloo Street headquarters, the Haysville resident was instructed to pull his truck into the parking lot of the Petro Canada gas station across the street.

#2418565 - 12/14/17 02:27 PM Re: Truck Ticketed $1005 after Santa Claus Parade [Re: astjp2]
jcc Offline
No politics

Loc: Trumussia
Originally Posted By astjp2
Every time everyone drives, they break a law or municipal code and don't even know it....for example: open toe shoes-illegal, shoes with open heel- illegal, failure to use turn signals greater 100' of an intersection- illegal, failure to use turn signals greater than 3 seconds of an intersection- illegal, have your bright lights on a divided highway with oncoming traffic and you can see their headlights- illegal, failure to yield to traffic coming up behind you in the left lane- illegal, having your bright lights and you are behind traffic and can see their taillights- illegal, how many do you break on a daily basis?

Amazing.

Cause next you'll be crying about how the cops are acting like judges deciding who to arrest and who not to arrest, oh wait you just told them to do that.

Sounds to me like the goob driving the truck knows the law regarding commercial vehicles but decided it didn't apply to him. He learned otherwise and whatever he was carrying is irrelevant. What if it had been a load of gravel and skids and the trailer broke loose because it was improperly attached and took out a bunch of kids in a school bus?

It's called selective enforcement, you make a law, or a group of laws that everybody violates, and then you selectively enforce the law to gain control/modify behavior/instill fear/etc. Works well and it's historically proven, nearly everything done in the 1930's in Germany was perfectly legal and according to the law.

#2418572 - 12/14/17 02:49 PM Re: Truck Ticketed $1005 after Santa Claus Parade [Re: jcc]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

When I got my driver's license I did the same thing as a friend of mine and just about everyone else that was a local and knew about the quickest way to avoid the traffic, or backups at the traffic lights during the busy times of the day on the main road through a small town. You took a right at the Sunoco gas station and rolled through the five stop signs of the side street that paralleled the busy, backed up main road. One day a friend did it and didn't realize a local police officer was following him and after the fifth stop sign pulled him over and wrote him up for not coming to a complete stop for ALL five stop signs. He went to court and the judge called the officer up to confirm that he watched the driver not come to a complete stop at the first stop sign and then proceeded to roll through four more stops signs. The officer proudly confirmed the question to which the judge said; "So officer if you would have watched this gentleman go into a bank and rob it would you have waited to see if he was going to also go across the street and rob that bank too?" Judge threw out the remaining four stop sign violations and my friend was ticketed for the first one only.

How can the truck driver get ticketed in the parking lot of a gas station that the officer told him to drive across the street to???? If the driver would have stayed in the PRIVATE PARKING LOT where he unloaded the holiday gifts and waited for the officer to leave or brought the truck and trailer into compliance or whatever then there is no way to get fined if you are not on a public road. SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT HERE WITH THE WAY THE STORY IS BEING TOLD. As I said if the tickets were written in either parking lot then they should be thrown out. If the officer is claiming that crossing the road to the gas station lot constitute the truck and trailer was "on or crossing a public road" then he is at fault for instructing the driver to break the law. Something stinks about this and it's either making the LEO look like the bad person or the truck driver is lying and an idiot IMO.

Edited by A12 (12/14/17 02:50 PM)

#2418623 - 12/14/17 04:52 PM Re: Truck Ticketed $1005 after Santa Claus Parade [Re: A12]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Mass
Originally Posted By A12

How can the truck driver get ticketed in the parking lot of a gas station that the officer told him to drive across the street to????

From experience...Property has to be marked "PRIVATE PROPERTY", and gated or roped off from public access to prevent LEO from citing you, If you think you can do a burnout in your own driveway of your own home, assuming it's private property because you own it and it might even be posted as private property, your in for a treat...if the public has access to "private property", then LE has jurisdiction over it in regards to traffic enforcement

#2418630 - 12/14/17 04:57 PM Re: Truck Ticketed $1005 after Santa Claus Parade [Re: DAYCLONA]
jcc Offline
No politics

I agree with that summation, except not sure about the requirement for being marked "private property", the restricted access by gate, etc achieves that.

#2418633 - 12/14/17 05:01 PM Re: Truck Ticketed $1005 after Santa Claus Parade [Re: Caper1]
1971 Gran Coupe Offline

Loc: Washington/Las Vegas
May he be know as "Officer Grinch" for the rest of his employment. LOL

#2418652 - 12/14/17 05:32 PM Re: Truck Ticketed $1005 after Santa Claus Parade [Re: Caper1]
Stanton Offline
master

Loc: Ontario, Canada
So re-read that whole story but leave out the reference to the parade and the reference to the food bank. Now what do you have ... a guy whose vehicle is non conforming and potentially dangerous PERIOD !!!

He did think this ... he didn't know about that ... !!!

#2418663 - 12/14/17 05:55 PM Re: Truck Ticketed $1005 after Santa Claus Parade [Re: Stanton]
jcc Offline
No politics

"potentially dangerous PERIOD !!!"

Well that applies to every vehicle on the road or parked, doesn't it?
Same with the thinking every person in view of an LEO might have a weapon, so shoot them for officer safety?

A very slippery slope.

#2418664 - 12/14/17 05:56 PM Re: Truck Ticketed $1005 after Santa Claus Parade [Re: Stanton]
ChryCoGuy Offline
master

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By Stanton
So re-read that whole story but leave out the reference to the parade and the reference to the food bank. Now what do you have ... a guy whose vehicle is non conforming and potentially dangerous PERIOD !!!

He did think this ... he didn't know about that ... !!!

Good point. Maybe the officer should have been a little more lenient, but vehicle equipment rules are there for a reason.

What if the story had ended with "the officer let him off with a warning, but on the way home the trailer became detached from the truck, striking a minivan carrying a family home from the parade, killing 2 children inside".

These things do happen, which is why the rules are in place. Mind you, there was no mention of the truck being towed away due to being unfit for the road, so it must not have been that bad. :2cents:

#2418669 - 12/14/17 06:00 PM Re: Truck Ticketed $1005 after Santa Claus Parade [Re: jcc]
ChryCoGuy Offline
master

Originally Posted By jcc
"potentially dangerous PERIOD !!!"

Well that applies to every vehicle on the road or parked, doesn't it?
Same with the thinking every person in view of an LEO might have a weapon, so shoot them for officer safety?

A very slippery slope.

All aspect of life are dangerous, in fact every person on the planet will die someday - therefore, it's very dangerous to be alive.

But c'mon, really. As a car guy you know the difference between a mechanically-unfit vehicle being more likely to fail and possibly lose control than one in perfect condition. It's about managing risks, not being risk-free.

#2418676 - 12/14/17 06:11 PM Re: Truck Ticketed $1005 after Santa Claus Parade [Re: ChryCoGuy]
Not_A_Duster Offline
master

Loc: SK. Canada
This sounds like revenue generation, pure and simple to me.

The tax collector, er - police officer could have easily let him go with a stern warning to take it home and not bring it back out without the proper inspections & paperwork.

But no....Better to put $1K into the municipalities bank account.

#2418682 - 12/14/17 06:19 PM Re: Truck Ticketed $1005 after Santa Claus Parade [Re: Caper1]
stumpy Offline

Loc: Grand Prairie,Texas
How about a man took his noncommercial privately owned fully insured truck to a community event,for the 15th year in a row, that most likely never exceed 40mph. Why should he be subjected to a commercial vehicle inspection considering the truck hadn't been use for business in a number of years? It wasn't lettered as a commercial business vehicle. That means that those of us that drive pickups would be treated the same way because pickup trucks are used for commercial purposes.

#2418690 - 12/14/17 06:29 PM Re: Truck Ticketed $1005 after Santa Claus Parade [Re: stumpy]
ChryCoGuy Offline
master

The real truth is probably closer to the last 2 posts, and more in line with how I think it should have been dealt with.

But, there are 2 sides to every story, which is what I was attempting to convey in my previous posts.

#2418693 - 12/14/17 06:31 PM Re: Truck Ticketed $1005 after Santa Claus Parade [Re: stumpy]
cudaman1969 Offline
master

Loc: fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted By stumpy
How about a man took his noncommercial privately owned fully insured truck to a community event,for the 15th year in a row, that most likely never exceed 40mph. Why should he be subjected to a commercial vehicle inspection considering the truck hadn't been use for business in a number of years? It wasn't lettered as a commercial business vehicle. That means that those of us that drive pickups would be treated the same way because pickup trucks are used for commercial purposes.

And a show-parade truck at that. How many cars at cruise nite have all the safety stuff. It might have been a hunting dog at one time, now it's just a porch dog.

Edited by cudaman1969 (12/14/17 06:33 PM)

#2418701 - 12/14/17 06:49 PM Re: Truck Ticketed $1005 after Santa Claus Parade [Re: Caper1]
SteveS Offline
top fuel

Loc: Groveland, MA
When I was on the "vintage police cruiser" circuit, we could have been cited for a lot more than that during/after parades and events. Nobody ever bothered us.

Someday I'll have another C-body.

#2418706 - 12/14/17 06:52 PM Re: Truck Ticketed $1005 after Santa Claus Parade [Re: Caper1]
slantzilla Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Park Forest, IL
Sounds like the truck was a POS, the guy knew it was a POS, and he drove it anyway. California is murder on trucks to start with.

#2418718 - 12/14/17 07:23 PM Re: Truck Ticketed $1005 after Santa Claus Parade [Re: Caper1]
ruderunner Offline

Loc: ohio
I agree with Stumpy's assessment, the truck wasn't being used commercially, it was being donated for a short period of time.

In this case IF LEO can show the owner was profiting from the haul then yes it's called violation.

I drive a 1 ton 4wd a lot during the winter, it has a plow. I could be pinched for not having commercial registration. But you would have a hard time proving commercial use. Mainly because it's not. I use it for occasionally commuting and plowing my own driveway.

#2418730 - 12/14/17 07:43 PM Re: Truck Ticketed $1005 after Santa Claus Parade [Re: DAYCLONA]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By A12

How can the truck driver get ticketed in the parking lot of a gas station that the officer told him to drive across the street to????

From experience...Property has to be marked "PRIVATE PROPERTY", and gated or roped off from public access to prevent LEO from citing you, If you think you can do a burnout in your own driveway of your own home, assuming it's private property because you own it and it might even be posted as private property, your in for a treat...if the public has access to "private property", then LE has jurisdiction over it in regards to traffic enforcement

So if you don't have a "private property" sign at the end of your 30' foot driveway any LEO can do a vehicle safety inspection of your vintage Mopar parked there at any time? Or a safety inspection of your wife's car or your motorcycle or.....the truck and driver were not sighted for a MOVING violation but for vehicle safety. Just hope all of your driveway vehicles' light bulbs are in safe order, hate to have someone knocking at your door. Again there's more to this than meets the eye. Bottom line, take it to court and hopefully a fair judge will sort out this all out. I also agree with it should have been towed if it was that unsafe. Also agree with that some of us better hope they don't do vehicle safety inspections of cruise in cars in the PARKING LOTS of the local restaurant/BAR, or SEAT BELT SAFETY CHECKS as we're leaving wink

#2418737 - 12/14/17 07:56 PM Re: Truck Ticketed $1005 after Santa Claus Parade [Re: Supercuda]
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master

Loc: jersey
Amazing.

“What if” the next time you slow down in front of an 18 wheeler, because you want to play hiway commando, he doesn’t slow down and drives right over you, and keeps on going because he’s illegal and has no credentials?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,626 Registered Members
32 Forums
195,538 Topics
2,287,399 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Help me identify these '71 B-body screws & bolts?
by Fab64
12/11/18 09:20 PM
"Mopars4ever" a stand up member
by RapidRobert
12/11/18 09:09 PM
Reproduction A-pillar trim for '71 B-Body?
by Fab64
12/11/18 09:03 PM
Whats the cost?
by DUFFMAN
12/11/18 08:44 PM