Topic Options
#2418062 - 12/13/17 02:44 PM Canon digital camera comparison
StrokerPost Offline
master

Loc: Missouri
Wanting to get a Canon digital SLR and I came upon one with several attachements at a good price, buuut, Ive never had a good digital SLR, always older non dig, so im looking for opinions/comparisons from this camera, which is an older Canon Rebel XTI, think it came out around 2007, and a current Canon cam of the same style. I know they are always upgrading this and tweaking that, but is there a big difference in the 2 to be a big deal? Any experiences you've had I would greatly appreciate hearing about. Thanks.
Ken.

67 Dart 2 dr post, 308 iron headed 414 SB. Perf 1/4 mi 10.45 @ 127
5 time Monster Mopar race winner...just sayin!!

#2418075 - 12/13/17 02:56 PM Re: Canon digital camera comparison [Re: StrokerPost]
new bee Offline
Richard Cranium

Loc: portland or
In my experience, the first thing you might want to ask yourself is how you plan to use the camera.
I am currently pricing Sony A7 cameras due to their insanely high ISO settings. I find myself in low light situations often enough that this kind of feature really comes in handy. Another must on my wish list is a lens capable of great resolution under full zoom.
And, I like a swivel viewfinder.
I currently have been getting by with a Canon G12, which is a fantastic overall camera. I've taken it on my global travels, and the results have been really satisfying. However, I'm outgrowing it and want to go to new levels.
There are probably people here with way more technical expertise than I have regarding the Canon you want, but it would be worth it for you to visit a professional camera retailer and start asking questions.
*2004 VW Passat Wagon
*2004 Mini Cooper S
*1967 Jaguar E-Type FHC

A mall cop is in our midst.

#2418083 - 12/13/17 03:25 PM Re: Canon digital camera comparison [Re: new bee]
StrokerPost Offline
master

Originally Posted By new bee
In my experience, the first thing you might want to ask yourself is how you plan to use the camera.
I am currently pricing Sony A7 cameras due to their insanely high ISO settings. I find myself in low light situations often enough that this kind of feature really comes in handy. Another must on my wish list is a lens capable of great resolution under full zoom.
And, I like a swivel viewfinder.
I currently have been getting by with a Canon G12, which is a fantastic overall camera. I've taken it on my global travels, and the results have been really satisfying. However, I'm outgrowing it and want to go to new levels.
There are probably people here with way more technical expertise than I have regarding the Canon you want, but it would be worth it for you to visit a professional camera retailer and start asking questions.

BTW, the Canon I'm looking at is rated at 10 megapixels, how does this compare with new cameras?

#2418091 - 12/13/17 03:42 PM Re: Canon digital camera comparison [Re: StrokerPost]
it's Bob Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Houston
All of the new Canon Rebel series are 18megapixel and above... 10mp is really at the low end of pictures now, heck, cell phones are in the 12-20 mp range.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/list/cameras/dslr/

Do you have EF/EF-s lens for you film camera that you are hoping to use on the Rebel? If so that would be great for you.

This wiki page gives you a good idea/background on when certain cameras came out and their features.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS

Edited by it's Bob (12/13/17 03:47 PM)

#2418192 - 12/13/17 07:45 PM Re: Canon digital camera comparison [Re: it's Bob]
StrokerPost Offline
master

Originally Posted By it's Bob
All of the new Canon Rebel series are 18megapixel and above... 10mp is really at the low end of pictures now, heck, cell phones are in the 12-20 mp range.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/list/cameras/dslr/

Do you have EF/EF-s lens for you film camera that you are hoping to use on the Rebel? If so that would be great for you.

This wiki page gives you a good idea/background on when certain cameras came out and their features.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS

Thanks for the info, not sure on the lens swapping possibilities, mine were for my Canon AE1 that i bought 37 years, ago. Lol. Maybe if there is some kind of adapter. shruggy This actually a starter camera for my 15 year old daughter who has only had her phone and one of those point and shoot type pocket type cams. This one im lookin at may not have the mega pixels of even her phone, but it will, i hope, let her get familiar with what an SLR cam will allow her to do. We'll see. Thanks again.

#2418194 - 12/13/17 07:50 PM Re: Canon digital camera comparison [Re: StrokerPost]
sp392 Offline
master

Loc: Etobicoke
Tons of reviews and tutorials for that camera

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Canon+Rebel+XTI

#2418448 - 12/14/17 10:31 AM Re: Canon digital camera comparison [Re: StrokerPost]
MarkM Offline
Worthy

Loc: USA, MI
Don't get too caught up with the MP rating on camera bodies. A 10MP camera can print a 13" x 8.5" image at 300 ppi (true photo quality). For a starter that is perfectly fine.

What kind of photography is your daughter looking to get into? If she has enough interest to learn basics (ISO vs aperture vs shutter speed) and can manipulate those settings in manual mode then it would be time to spring for a better camera body. This is the path I took when I got into the hobby.

By far the biggest investment in this hobby is in the glass. I would start with lenses that enable her to do what a cell phone can't do. A good telephoto and maybe a macro lens if she is into that sort of photography.

#2418478 - 12/14/17 11:19 AM Re: Canon digital camera comparison [Re: StrokerPost]
Orange_Crush Offline
Belieber!

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Originally Posted By StrokerPost
Wanting to get a Canon digital SLR and I came upon one with several attachements at a good price, buuut, Ive never had a good digital SLR, always older non dig, so im looking for opinions/comparisons from this camera, which is an older Canon Rebel XTI, think it came out around 2007, and a current Canon cam of the same style. I know they are always upgrading this and tweaking that, but is there a big difference in the 2 to be a big deal? Any experiences you've had I would greatly appreciate hearing about. Thanks.
Ken.

Just a quick question...What's your budget?

Canon makes some great cameras and they have really good packages.

I, personally, am a Nikon and Pentax guy. Nikon has AMAZING optics and Pentax has excellent ones as well. Also, the days of aftermarket lenses being garbage are now over. Sigma, Tamron, etc. are making some fantastic lenses at pretty reasonable prices so you can build a great setup on a smaller budget.

As someone else mentioned, don't get hung up on megapixel count. you really don't NEED more than 12MP if you aren't planning to go with huge prints.

My photographer days took place during the film era and that was when you needed to go to a larger format in order to get truly sharp large prints. That's really not the case anymore.

#2418517 - 12/14/17 12:46 PM Re: Canon digital camera comparison [Re: StrokerPost]
njmopar Offline
super stock

Loc: Clinton, NJ
Just picked up a EOS Rebel SL2 for my Daughter. Have not used yet. She wants to use for video and photo. SL2 adds wifi, so can transfer to her phone easier. I have a bunch of older EF-S lenses, so wanted to stay in the brand.

#2418581 - 12/14/17 03:20 PM Re: Canon digital camera comparison [Re: njmopar]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

Loc: N.E. OHIO, USA
Same here on using the older lenses from my Canon FT on a new Canon digital. Which Canon cameras are full screen or 35mm? I think that is where the prices jump and the quality seems to jump also? IMO there is no comparison between any phone or compact camera to a SLR camera. I bought the highest end compact Canon camera a few years ago just for the convenience of the portability and a little better than phone camera quality but it still doesn't compare to a full size SLR. I'm watching this thread to see what my next purchase will be wink

Mike

#2418719 - 12/14/17 07:23 PM Re: Canon digital camera comparison [Re: Orange_Crush]
StrokerPost Offline
master

Originally Posted By Orange_Crush
Originally Posted By StrokerPost
Ken.

Just a quick question...What's your budget?

Canon makes some great cameras and they have really good packages.

I, personally, am a Nikon and Pentax guy. Nikon has AMAZING optics and Pentax has excellent ones as well. Also, the days of aftermarket lenses being garbage are now over. Sigma, Tamron, etc. are making some fantastic lenses at pretty reasonable prices so you can build a great setup on a smaller budget.

As someone else mentioned, don't get hung up on megapixel count. you really don't NEED more than 12MP if you aren't planning to go with huge prints.

My photographer days took place during the film era and that was when you needed to go to a larger format in order to get truly sharp large prints. That's really not the case anymore.

Budget no longer matters, my wife misunderstood my intention to wait and picked up the outfit today. Not really upset, just wanted to do a bit more reading first. It is a good camera and it came with enough "stuff" to let my daughter really get a feel for the possibilities. Here is what shes getting, and the wife gave the asking price of $500. I would have tried to negotiate some but at the end of the day it's a good kit for the money.
I appreciate your insight and input on the lenses and such.

Attachments
Screenshot_20171214-181228.png

#2418822 - 12/14/17 10:49 PM Re: Canon digital camera comparison [Re: StrokerPost]
69Dartman Offline
master

Loc: Portland Oregon
My first DSLR was a XT and I happily used it for years. They had really clean colors even as high as they could go in iso and I bought a bunch of excellent used lenses from ebay to give me more options. It took great shots and only thing I didn't like was the iso limit for fast action or low light wasn't as high as the newer cameras. I upgraded to a T3 Canon 12 meg cam and the big thing is higher iso range and it uses micro SD carda that are easier and cheaper to find. I sold my XT to a car buddy with a bunch of extra batteries and compact flash cards for 200 and he was happy and partially paid for my upgrade.
like said there's more to digital photography than megapixles so if you got everything you'd have to buy extra eventually your going to love it and you can decide if you want want to eventually upgrade or what you have is all you ever need.

#2419236 - 12/15/17 08:06 PM Re: Canon digital camera comparison [Re: StrokerPost]
Andrewh Offline
master

that is the same model I have. been using it for years.
mine is the silver body, and probably got it around 2005 ish. so is a little older.

I would guess you over paid by about 100 bucks.

I use it for my home studio type pics of the kids.

It has all the same features my film slr had so you can do quite a bit with it.
I did not get that assortment of lenses. I ordered mine without the 18-55 mm lens and got a 28-75 instead.
Better range on the smaller lens, and only one to carry around.

I have been thinking of the low light lens with the better f stop for moving pictures in low light, but the price was too far out there.

They do make adapters for older lenses and even manual lenses for the camera.
https://www.amazon.com/Bower-Adapter-Manual-Cameras-Manually/dp/B0035GC9RS

the old automatic lenses still work, just not as fast as the newer for auto focus.
Nikon made it so none of the old ones worked with their new without an adapter as I recall.

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,538 Registered Members
32 Forums
194,156 Topics
2,268,059 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Window Mechanism Grease
by dart4forte
10/23/18 12:55 AM
W2 heads- How much lift is lost at the valve?
by viperblue72
10/23/18 12:53 AM
HOW MUCH are you going to throw at the LOTTO ....
by Doc Fiberglass
10/22/18 11:54 PM
1971 Challenger A78 question.
by challenger6pack
10/22/18 11:47 PM