12/09/17 11:17 PM
12/09/17 11:17 PM
M
McCandlessboy Offline OP
super stock
McCandlessboy  Offline OP
super stock
M

Master Cylinder came in. What color should it be?

Re: Who should I consult on my Hemi Challenger? [Re: McCandlessboy] #2415962
12/09/17 11:32 PM
12/09/17 11:32 PM
Hamtramck, PA
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer

Hamtramck, PA
Master cylinder, bail, lid, vacuum fitting & booster were painted as an assembly - black.

Re: Who should I consult on my Hemi Challenger? [Re: McCandlessboy] #2416024
12/10/17 02:07 AM
12/10/17 02:07 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By McCandlessboy
Master Cylinder came in. What color should it be?

I answered that on page 1 of your post, but here's a pic to help you out...

Mike

DSC_0082.jpg
Re: Who should I consult on my Hemi Challenger? [Re: McCandlessboy] #2416101
12/10/17 10:54 AM
12/10/17 10:54 AM
M
McCandlessboy Offline OP
super stock
super stock
M

Sorry about that! I'm normally not lazy like that, didn't think it was covered. It came in, looks good. We have the car out of the shop right now as dads 62 needs a little attention. Doing demo work on the museum now, hoping to have it up around end of March.

Re: Who should I consult on my Hemi Challenger? [Re: McCandlessboy] #2416147
12/10/17 01:36 PM
12/10/17 01:36 PM
VA
D
dragon slayer Offline
pro stock
dragon slayer  Offline
pro stock
D

VA
This has been an interesting thread. It is also interesting that you have started assembling parts before getting a real assessment of originality. I do not know of the car, but there are so many other items beyond the initial visuals that can cause issues if the goal is to get it right.

I purchased a car in a similar manner and I am happy with my purchases, but there are plenty of pitfalls.

Are the carb original, are the guts of the carbs orig? Are the fenders 70 fenders or later fender? Every part of the motor and auxiliaries are subject to being wrong or improperly assembled. How much of the car is reproduction parts versus original OEM type parts. Having worked with a Hemi builder, you can find plenty of things wrong that might make you just want to leave it alone and enjoy it.

Then again does any of this matter to you or the next buyer. Or if money not an object you can go an get this back to full OEM specs.

Problem with auctions is your already down 20% in value, so the car has to appreciate a lot to cover the fees and correction to a car.

It is all a matter about what is important to you in ownership of this car, and how far you want to go.

Good luck and I hope this is a very correct car for you. I agree, I like the colors.

Re: Who should I consult on my Hemi Challenger? [Re: dragon slayer] #2416369
12/10/17 07:09 PM
12/10/17 07:09 PM
M
McCandlessboy Offline OP
super stock
super stock
M

Originally Posted By dragon slayer
This has been an interesting thread. It is also interesting that you have started assembling parts before getting a real assessment of originality. I do not know of the car, but there are so many other items beyond the initial visuals that can cause issues if the goal is to get it right.

We found a report in the trunk of the car from Galen. A lot of it aligns with what was posted here. While we had the car in doing some work, we made some changes that were easy to handle.

Quote:
Are the carb original, are the guts of the carbs orig? Are the fenders 70 fenders or later fender? Every part of the motor and auxiliaries are subject to being wrong or improperly assembled. How much of the car is reproduction parts versus original OEM type parts. Having worked with a Hemi builder, you can find plenty of things wrong that might make you just want to leave it alone and enjoy it.

I know I won't have every item on it correct. Nor would I mis-represent the car should I ever sell it. I see no reason to not fix the obvious things that are wrong, such as the wheels/master cylinder. It has been fun learning as 90% of the cars I have are Forward Look.

Quote:
Then again does any of this matter to you or the next buyer. Or if money not an object you can go an get this back to full OEM specs.

I think for someone wanting a true OEM car, there are plenty of other cars that would be more appropriate for them. I see a ranking of cars, the Elite OEM show winners, the 80% and the 50%. I think this car is in the 80% area, eventually.

Quote:
Problem with auctions is your already down 20% in value, so the car has to appreciate a lot to cover the fees and correction to a car.

Depends on what the hammer price was.

Quote:
It is all a matter about what is important to you in ownership of this car, and how far you want to go.

Good luck and I hope this is a very correct car for you. I agree, I like the colors.

Thanks! I'm sure as people come to look at the cars, I'll get a lot of feedback. I'm open to it, I'm just trying to learn. Some will hate the fact I bought a car because I just liked the car. Can't make everyone happy. Most have been really cool though.

Re: Who should I consult on my Hemi Challenger? [Re: McCandlessboy] #2416618
12/11/17 02:34 AM
12/11/17 02:34 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Some will hate the fact I bought a car because I just liked the car.

IMHO, it's the only reason to buy/build/own any of these types of vehicles

Mike

Re: Who should I consult on my Hemi Challenger? [Re: McCandlessboy] #2418418
12/14/17 12:26 PM
12/14/17 12:26 PM
VA
D
dragon slayer Offline
pro stock
dragon slayer  Offline
pro stock
D

VA
Why do you use the word hate? I can't see how anyone could hate you for buying a car because you like it. They might hate you because you can buy a car they might not be able to afford, but that is a different reason:-)

Now they may criticize you for the amount you paid just because you liked it:-)

As far as price, yes regardless of hammer your down the fees. Maybe you got a bargain, but maybe not. It was also a public purchase, so the next potential buyer know what you paid. That may or may not effect the future sale price, but do we think 1970-71 cars will continue to be desired in another 10 year/ 20 years? I am not so sure. The younger crowd in the 25-35 demo buy foreign cars to hop up, or resto mod new Challengers and Chargers from the 2010 up era. I see more new Dodge at cars shows and no young members joining our Mopar club with old cars.

More old cars come on market as folks in the 60-80 down size and or pass on. Even rich guys in my age group stop buying muscle cars and start on exotics because that is what their 20ish kids like IMHO.

Re: Who should I consult on my Hemi Challenger? [Re: McCandlessboy] #2418423
12/14/17 12:32 PM
12/14/17 12:32 PM
M
McCandlessboy Offline OP
super stock
super stock
M

Everyone has opinions on what will happen with the market. My belief is in the forward look era cars have more room to go up than muscle cars. They're simpler to understand, have incredible styling and limited production. Of course I'm bias, because it's what I collect.

I'm one of the most laid back people you'll ever meet. Not much gets to me. I love the car hobby and most of the people in it. It blows my mind that no matter how long you've been doing it, you can learn something. I've learned about mini cars the past few months. They did some crazy promo cars back in the 50's. Now I'm trying to chase those types of things down.

Re: Who should I consult on my Hemi Challenger? [Re: McCandlessboy] #2418490
12/14/17 02:45 PM
12/14/17 02:45 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Online content
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Online Content
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Everyone has opinions on what will happen with the market. My belief is in the forward look era cars have more room to go up than muscle cars. They're simpler to understand, have incredible styling and limited production. Of course I'm bias, because it's what I collect.

I'm one of the most laid back people you'll ever meet. Not much gets to me. I love the car hobby and most of the people in it. It blows my mind that no matter how long you've been doing it, you can learn something. I've learned about mini cars the past few months. They did some crazy promo cars back in the 50's. Now I'm trying to chase those types of things down.

I agree ,,,to a point. The problem with Forward look era cars is the crowd that wants/interested in them are getting smaller and smaller. 2nd, finding parts is considerably tougher then muscle car stuff . ( at least they have a decent reproduction market )

So I'm not 100% sure just how much they'll appreciate.
My gut tells me sooner than later,, we will see a peak never to be duplicated again.

Just for an example, sit back and ck out the crowd at any major car show, of any brand (( current ricer crowd excluded )) a vast majority of the people are closer to the end than they are to the beginning

Re: Who should I consult on my Hemi Challenger? [Re: McCandlessboy] #2419170
12/15/17 08:50 PM
12/15/17 08:50 PM
Ont, Canada
moparo Offline
super stock
moparo  Offline
super stock

Ont, Canada

performancecarrestorations.com
Re: Who should I consult on my Hemi Challenger? [Re: gtx6970] #2419406
12/16/17 10:57 AM
12/16/17 10:57 AM
M
McCandlessboy Offline OP
super stock
super stock
M

Quote:
I agree ,,,to a point. The problem with Forward look era cars is the crowd that wants/interested in them are getting smaller and smaller. 2nd, finding parts is considerably tougher then muscle car stuff . ( at least they have a decent reproduction market )

As a car, I don't disagree, but future collectors aren't collecting them as cars, they're collecting them as art. The number of cars on the road 10 years from now will be fractional.

Quote:
So I'm not 100% sure just how much they'll appreciate.
My gut tells me sooner than later,, we will see a peak never to be duplicated again.

Just for an example, sit back and ck out the crowd at any major car show, of any brand (( current ricer crowd excluded )) a vast majority of the people are closer to the end than they are to the beginning

The best cars will always bring top money. I think the middle pack of muscle cars will really struggle, comparatively. I believe personal connection to muscle cars is what has propped them up, especially in the middle. When that goes away and cars start to be looked at as large pieces of art, rarity will matter. The forward looks cars have dramatic styling and are very limited in production, compared to muscle cars. I could be totally wrong, but I feel at this moment buying a 100k top end restored forward look will be pay off better 5-10 years from now than a similar muscle car.

Re: Who should I consult on my Hemi Challenger? [Re: McCandlessboy] #2425558
12/29/17 10:49 PM
12/29/17 10:49 PM
Kansas
65fury Offline
65fury  Offline

Kansas
My opinion doesn't mean anything but I agree about musclecar values. The cream of the crop is always going to be highly sought after but the more common "midrange" 60s/70s cars are either at their ultimate peak or near it, unless inflation takes the value of the dollar down enough for a perceived peak 30-40 years from now. The generation that grew up loving them is aging and the supply isn't going anywhere (more or less) so there'll be a point where the current 20/30somethings will be inheriting them all. Some will love them, some won't.

As a 34 year old I had to get into turbo buicks because I couldn't afford the old mopars that I wanted to get into. Now there's a feeding frenzy on 87 grand nationals and if it continues I might jump ship with one of my cars. But it's so hard to argue with 20 mpg and cruise control and air conditioning for road trips. So I may have a 4 speed b body for local fun and something more practical for the power tour and other road trips.

None of this has anything to do with a correct resto on a hemi challenger, but I do admire the attention to detail in this thread.

Re: Who should I consult on my Hemi Challenger? [Re: McCandlessboy] #2425590
12/30/17 12:59 AM
12/30/17 12:59 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:
But it's so hard to argue with 20 mpg and cruise control and air conditioning for road trips. So I may have a 4 speed b body for local fun and something more practical for the power tour and other road trips.

Right but using that logic a new Challenger starts looking better than any 1980's Buick......Just sayn'

*Moparo, on that Blue Challenger, very nice respectable example for sure but just because Frank judged it doesn't mean he deemed it "perfect". Even the very best O.E. restored cars still have faults and that one is no exception, example, the small red plastic plug in the Dana should be green plastic (reproductions are all red) and then painted black. So you need to use caution using a restored car as reference for original details.

Re: Who should I consult on my Hemi Challenger? [Re: McCandlessboy] #2427264
01/01/18 05:44 PM
01/01/18 05:44 PM
M
McCandlessboy Offline OP
super stock
super stock
M

I've mentioned this across multiple collector threads. Values are also driven by equitable events. Collections are ran as a loss leader that push losses against huge tax hits people have for various reasons. One of the reasons you see people grab a lot of cars in a short period of time, also selling them in short periods of time. As economic booms continue, prices will rise as people look for different area's to place cash and adjust their tax hit. Money is very cheap right now, plenty of collectors building collections on cheap interest rates.

Re: Who should I consult on my Hemi Challenger? [Re: McCandlessboy] #2428818
01/04/18 12:47 PM
01/04/18 12:47 PM
N.Y.
sixpacksteve Offline
pro stock
sixpacksteve  Offline
pro stock

N.Y.
Values are up and down. the Real value is what someone will actually put in your hand tomorrow. after that its all speculation.

Hell Hath No Fury Like Mine
Re: Who should I consult on my Hemi Challenger? [Re: McCandlessboy] #2428947
01/04/18 04:18 PM
01/04/18 04:18 PM
M
McCandlessboy Offline OP
super stock
super stock
M

The next 30 days will be interesting as a ton of cars are up for sale between the various auction houses. Almost all muscle cars, very few forward looks. Surprised there isn't more discussion on the boards about the cars.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4