Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Diplomat360 Offline OP
top fuel
Diplomat360  Offline OP
top fuel
D

Windsor, ON, Canada
I have been running the Yellow (140001) Supercoil for a very long time now. This was always mated up to a MP Chrome box and a factory 1.5 Ohm balance resistor.

Now, for as long as I can remember during low idle speed as soon as I would drop below about 800 RPM my AutoGauge (233905) Tach needle would swing to the 'off' position and almost always immediately return back to read running RPM.

For some time I overlooked that, it was annoying, but heck, I purchased the tach off of eBag years ago and even if there was something wrong with it I didn't have any receipts and so didn't think I could return it for warranty either.

As it happens over the weekend I was reading some on-line articles about ignition systems. As applicable to the Yellow coil there was the mention of needing to run the 0.85 ohm resistor for a points setup. Specificaly here is a quote from their Q&A posting:

Quote:

Q) I just purchased an ACCEL super coil. Do I need to use the ballast resistor supplied?
A) It depends on which ignition system its being used with. When using a single or dual point distributor, coil positive should be supplied with 8-10 volts with the key in the "run" position. Check it with a voltmeter and use the resistor only if necessary. Less than seven volts will result in a weak spark, and over ten volts will burn the points. Nearly all electronic ignitions require twelve volts (no resistor). This includes HEI, ACCEL, 41000 and 51000 series, and enhancer box systems (ACCEL 300+, Mallory HYFIRE®, MSD) an exception to this is the Mallory Unilite distributor when wired directly to the coil (no spark box). This required 7-9 volts supplied to coil positive. When using the supercoil with stock Chrysler or Ford Duraspark systems, use the ballast specified by the manufacturer...

Well, I am not running points, and my stock resistor is 1.5 ohm unit. So I went through my electricals stash and found a 0.7 ohm piece, plugged it in and to my astonishment the tach needle bounce went away...COMPLETELY!!!

This now started the "gears up top" turning...I figured I better check out the rest of the system to see what's going on because this result appears to suggest the coil was not seeing enough input V and subsequently the tach was not recognizing the signal.

Here are the readings, all taken while motor is running @ idle and using the '80 model year Diagnostic connector located on the fenderwall (just a quick and handy access to all the measurements):

1) 1.5 ohm resistor
BATT V = 14.23
Voltage Reg output = 7.60
Ignition V = 13.78
Coil Terminal V (using just the +/- as source) = 3.92 - 4.00
Coil Terminal + to GROUND V = 7.00

1) 0.7 ohm resistor
BATT V = 14.35
Voltage Reg output = 7.24-7.50
Ignition V = 13.76
Coil Terminal V (using just the +/- as source) = 6.10
Coil Terminal + to GROUND V = 9.80

So the coil Voltage increased, sure, it made sense since lower resistance value would do that.

I took the car for a ride and holy [censored], I could not believe it, there actually was a noticable difference in throttle response. Hard to give a quantitative assessment here, but you could actully feel this. This made me dig deeper. The Accel coil is a 12V coil, which as best as I can tell accepts 12V input at the coil terminals. Even now with the 0.7 ohm resistor I am still seeing only 9.80V, this begs the question: am I understanding this correctly, and should I be aiming to deliver 12V on the input terminals of the coil?

My next step is to try running this bypassing the resistor altogether...worth a try, but long-term I certainly do not want to fry the coil.

I'm curious what you guys are seeing?

Re: Accel Yellow SuperCoil input voltage [Re: Diplomat360] #2365333
09/04/17 06:30 PM
09/04/17 06:30 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
"When using the supercoil with stock Chrysler or Ford Duraspark systems, use the ballast specified by the manufacturer..."

1.5 ohms seems high to me, looking in my 73 FSM you should have a .50-.60 ohms ballast, not 1.5 ohms.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Accel Yellow SuperCoil input voltage [Re: Diplomat360] #2365336
09/04/17 06:39 PM
09/04/17 06:39 PM
Canada
WO23Coronet Offline
master
WO23Coronet  Offline
master

Canada
If it's a 12V coil, why not hook it up direct? The ballast resistor was only to save the stock coil was it not? They were designed for around 9V

Re: Accel Yellow SuperCoil input voltage [Re: Diplomat360] #2365342
09/04/17 06:51 PM
09/04/17 06:51 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Did you read the directions included? When using the supercoil with stock Chrysler or Ford Duraspark systems, use the ballast specified by the manufacturer.

There is a reason to use the ballast and it's not to save the coil.

Straight from the FSM, again

"The compensating resistance serves the same purpose as in the contact ignition system, that is to maintain constant primary current with variation in engine speed."

The compensating resistance is the ballast resistor.

Don't be the exception.
Re: Accel Yellow SuperCoil input voltage [Re: Supercuda] #2365384
09/04/17 08:06 PM
Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Diplomat360 Offline OP
top fuel
Diplomat360  Offline OP
top fuel
D

Windsor, ON, Canada
Originally Posted By Supercuda
...There is a reason to use the ballast and it's not to save the coil.

"The compensating resistance serves the same purpose as in the contact ignition system, that is to maintain constant primary current with variation in engine speed."

Ummm...sure, so for those of use who are not electrical engineers, can you expand on how the said ballast resistor ohm value actually impacts the various components of the ignition system?

I specifically am asking you to explain the following:
1) impact on ECU
2) imapct on coil
3) impact on ???

EDIT: Oh you bet I read the fine-print...I can do even better, attached please find the Accel 140001 coil install instructions...

Attached PDF document
Last edited by Diplomat360; 09/04/17 08:10 PM.
Re: Accel Yellow SuperCoil input voltage [Re: Diplomat360] #2365385
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
I dont run any ballast with my Accel super coil as I run a full 12 volts to it. I run the orange MP ECU box and have been running it like this almost 2 years. I used to run a .75 ballast but I read an article and heard a few say they dont run any ballast and have been fine. So I thought for the heck of it I would try it. I carry a spare coil , ECU and ballast as I figured if anything burns out I would hook the ballast back up and replace the part. But after running the eng for over a 1/2 hr the coil was still nice and cool. It does not get hot at all and neither does the ECU. So it gives me a hotter spark if needed and seems to work great with the Accel super coil. Course it may not work with all coils but I have been running mine like this for almost 2 years with no trouble ever. I just bypassed the ballast and left it on the firewall in case I wanted to hook it back up but I do not plan to hook it back up. Ron

Re: Accel Yellow SuperCoil input voltage [Re: Supercuda] #2365391
09/04/17 08:15 PM
09/04/17 08:15 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Did you read the directions included? When using the supercoil with stock Chrysler or Ford Duraspark systems, use the ballast specified by the manufacturer.

There is a reason to use the ballast and it's not to save the coil.

I do believe the super coil came out before most manufactors had electronic ign standard as I remember buying an Accel super coil in 1973 for my Dart I ran a 340 with an Accel dual point dist. That info you posted about electronic ign was found on line as I dont think we know if Accel actually said that about the coil as I know the one I bought did not say anything about electronic ign. I may be wrong but they may have meant that for points as they were still used on most cars in the early 70's. I just know I bought one in 1973 but I am not sure what year it actually came out. The few articles I had read were saying you wont burn anything out with electronic ign if you bypass the ballast since we all know one of the reason for a ballast was to increase point life. I Think when I bought my first Accel super coil around 1973 it came with a note and a .25 ballast and I seem to remember the note saying to add the .25 ohm ballast if your stock ballast was only .50 so it will not burn the points out to quick.
But I can say I have not been running my ballast for almost 2 years and the coil does not get even warm. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 09/04/17 08:33 PM.
Re: Accel Yellow SuperCoil input voltage [Re: Diplomat360] #2365433
09/04/17 09:17 PM
09/04/17 09:17 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
I reiterate There is a reason to use the ballast and it's not to save the coil. So your experience with or with out a ballast regarding heat in the coil is irrelevant, that's not it's purpose.

As for the effects on what ever, there should be NO changes, that is the purpose of the ballast to maintain a constant primary current with variation in engine speed. That means a stable ignition with no variations related to engine speed.

Don't be the exception.
Re: Accel Yellow SuperCoil input voltage [Re: Supercuda] #2365476
09/04/17 10:25 PM
09/04/17 10:25 PM
Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Diplomat360 Offline OP
top fuel
Diplomat360  Offline OP
top fuel
D

Windsor, ON, Canada
...As for the effects on what ever, there should be NO changes, that is the purpose of the ballast to maintain a constant primary current with variation in engine speed. That means a stable ignition with no variations related to engine speed...

Given the lack of explanation beyond this repated statement allow me to shed some light on this...just my amateur understanding of the principles and why lower primary TOTAL resistance appears to produce a better result.

Per the following reference material Ignition Coil High Voltage, it appears that following holds true at the time when the primary side of coil approaches it's peak, also called STEADY STATE, as governed by the following law (Ohm's law really):

I_steady_state = V_source/R_primary

where:

I - current
V - voltage
R - resistance

Please note the following statement:

"...The primary circuit is driven by closing a switch to ground, which allows current to flow from the power supply through the primary. When the switch is initially closed, the current in the coil remains zero, as the inductance of the primary does not allow the current to change instantaneously. The current in the primary then increases exponentially until it reaches its steady state value.

The steady state current is the maximum value the current will have. It is determined by the voltage of the power supply and the total series resistance of the primary circuit.

The steady state current in the primary is determined by:

I_steady_state = V_source/R_primary

Rprimary consists of the total resistance of the wire in the primary coil, as well as the resistance of the wires and other connections in the primary circuit..."

Therefore, per Ohm's law, as R_primary drops, given the same voltage it follows that the coil primary side current is higher.

Further on:

"...The energy stored in an inductor is a function of its inductance and the current flowing through it. The equation for the energy stored in an inductor is:

Energy= ½ * L * I^2..."

Therefore, given that coil primary impedance (L) stays the same AND that the steady state current rises it follows that TOTAL amount of energy stored in the primary side of the coil is greater.

Finally:

"...driving with a higher voltage allows the primary current to reach a given level of current in a shorter amount of time. Overdriving therefore increases the output power by allowing more pulses of the same energy to be released in a given amount of time (a higher drive frequency) compared to the case where a lower power supply voltage is used..."

seems to provide the explanation for why going to a lower resistor appears to result in an improved coil performance.

Cheers!

Re: Accel Yellow SuperCoil input voltage [Re: Supercuda] #2365569
09/05/17 12:44 AM
09/05/17 12:44 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
I reiterate There is a reason to use the ballast and it's not to save the coil. So your experience with or with out a ballast regarding heat in the coil is irrelevant, that's not it's purpose.

As for the effects on what ever, there should be NO changes, that is the purpose of the ballast to maintain a constant primary current with variation in engine speed. That means a stable ignition with no variations related to engine speed.

Well here is the wording out of one of my training books I have from over the years as it states about how the ballast of course heats up some at low eng speed since the points are closed longer and creates more resistance in the ballast and keeps the primary ciruit level lower. Then it says......this action servers to keep the coil primary winding cooler and improves dist point breaker life. At high speeds the points are not closed as long so the coil primary has less time to build up its magnetic field so that means with less current flowing time wise because the points are not closed as long the ballast cools some and has less resistance so the coil will still build up as much in the primary winding since the voltage is higher to compensate for the less time for the coil to saturate.
Many times over the years I have read the same thing as the ballast saves point life and limits the primary circuit current flow at times. And yes I have seen some coils get very hot on some buddy's cars when they use the wrong ballast or coil and let more current flow in the primary circuit. So thats one reason I wanted to make sure my coil did not feel real hot as that would have had me checking more to make sure I did not have to much current flow in the primary circuit.
Funny as when GM when to electronic ign they stopped using a resistance wire in their ign and run a full 12 volts in there HEI. Ford like Mopar still used a resister wire which had to be for either the coil or the electronic module to limit current flow and not let them overheat. Myself I felt that I should leave the ballast in because thats how Mopar made their system. But like I said I read a few mags about where they took it out on the Mopar electronic system and it worked well which mine does. It may also make a difference that I use the 4 pin ECU and of course Mopar had the auxillary circuit with the 5 ohm ballast on the 5 pin ECU.Of course the only ones that have bypassed the ballast like me are all the 4 pin ECU. I know I am not the only one running it like that. Sure it may be able to put out more voltage output at idle since it has no ballast but it will only put out what it needs to jump the secondary resistance and the plug gap anyway. And on the electronic system we cant adjust dwell anyway since the ECU controls it and some ECU's can change the dwell some to limit dwell time for lower speeds and output or increase it but of course it can only give so much max dwell. And electronic ign can keep a constant voltage if the system needs to by controlling dwell as none of the electronic ign systems have used a ballast the last 20 to 30 years. Also GM and Ford used a resistance wire in the wire harness on their point systems that did not change resistance by temp and current flow like Mopars ballast did so they must not have had a constant primary current as well as the cars with the ballast type ign resister.
So my point is the heat and temp of the coil does matter. And the ign system will work fine without the heat/temp style ballast since the coil will only put out what it needs to overcome the full secondary circuit. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 09/05/17 01:39 PM.
Re: Accel Yellow SuperCoil input voltage [Re: Diplomat360] #2365764
09/05/17 01:28 PM
09/05/17 01:28 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
Interesting stuff !!

I don't really have anything of value to add.

Maybe just an anecdotal story.....

I ran a factory 5 pin ignition for years(with the dual resistor) that I had taken out of a car at the bone yard(box, resistor, wiring harness, etc).
Never a problem..... Used a Super Coil that looked like it was already pretty old when I got the car in 1981.
In my mild-ish 440's that weren't turning much over 6k, it never skipped a beat.

When I installed my 340 I went with an MSD blaster 2 coil, since I could mount it closer to the distributor easier.
Had an intermittent skip at about 6500rpm and up(shifting at 7500).

I borrowed a used super coil at the track and it cured the problem.

Anyway...... When I got home I started probing some wires to see what kind of voltages I had at various points in the circuit.

I had some pretty big losses in several places. Bulkhead connector, old wiring, etc.
I was getting about 3.5 volts to the coil with the motor running.

I ended up installing an MSD 6a box, which got new 10ga power leads direct to the battery...... And I never looked back.

I guess my point was...... The old super coil and factory 5 pin box/resistor...... Even operating at way less than optimal voltage still ran surprisingly well.

When I pulled out all the old wiring that was used for the OE type ignition, I stripped the insulation off several wires at various points in the circuit...... They were all green inside.
When I did my probing, I was only seeing about 9.5 volts to the hot side of the resistor.
As I probed along the circuit....... The voltage just got lower and lower as you went further along in the circuit.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: Accel Yellow SuperCoil input voltage [Re: Diplomat360] #2365792
09/05/17 02:24 PM
09/05/17 02:24 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

I call Bullpoop on everything and all the wacky theories and "makes sense to me" theories in the posts above.

Here's why: In the FIRST LINE of the manufacturer's instructions for the Supercoil for which 360 so kindly posted the link, it states:

The 140001 Super Coil is designed with most of the primary resistance external of the coil to reduce inductive reactance and therefore increase the coil output.

360, what part of that did you not understand?

To everyone else, unless you ARE an electrical engineer or somehow have learned about R-L-C circuits, this is the part of alternating current circuits that you cannot understand with a direct current brain.

I do not pretend to know the exact answer, it has been too long from EE201 and EE301.

R.
·

Re: Accel Yellow SuperCoil input voltage [Re: dogdays] #2365878
09/05/17 04:22 PM
09/05/17 04:22 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
OP, a coil is a electrical transformer, there are two types of transformer, step up and step down.
Ignition coils are step up and they will only make the amount voltage needed to jump to the least resistance path to ground, which can be the spark plug ground strap or out to another easier path to ground. runaway
On your deal using a ECU doesn't the ECU control the voltage to the positive side of the coil connectors ? scope Or does it pulse the negative ground side work
Either way you have seen a noticeable difference between the two ballast resistors, correct work One or input two volts difference will not burn up that coil shruggy
I know guys that ran that incorrect Accel Super coil on the early MSD race gold boxes, those boxes step up the input voltage to the coil to over 200 Volts D.C. to make them charge quicker so they could multi spark to the plugs shruggy
I found out later that those boxes needed the Mallory coil # 28880 ( I think that is the correct pt. # luck) which had less primary winding ratio than a conventional coil did which help it recover and reach max voltage output quicker so it would multi spark better scope
Lots of choices and paths of information to help you make the best decision scope whistling grin
Don't get lost in the details, if it ain't broken, don't fix it tsk grin
The more you learn the more you find out what more you need to learn whistling grin
Good luck thumbs

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Accel Yellow SuperCoil input voltage [Re: dogdays] #2366079
09/05/17 10:21 PM
09/05/17 10:21 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Originally Posted By dogdays
I call Bullpoop on everything and all the wacky theories and "makes sense to me" theories in the posts above.

Here's why: In the FIRST LINE of the manufacturer's instructions for the Supercoil for which 360 so kindly posted the link, it states:

The 140001 Super Coil is designed with most of the primary resistance external of the coil to reduce inductive reactance and therefore increase the coil output.

To everyone else, unless you ARE an electrical engineer or somehow have learned about R-L-C circuits, this is the part of alternating current circuits that you cannot understand with a direct current brain.

I do not pretend to know the exact answer, it has been too long from EE201 and EE301.

R.
·

Well we dont have to be engineers to understand the basics of how the ign coil works. I am no engineer but I was taught some about the counterelectromotive force in the ign coil primary windings and that the normal ratio of primary and secondary windings with points was about 100 to 1 and transisterized ign coils average about 275 to 1. And I am sure we all know about coil magnetic field buildup (saturation) but most of that is not what the original poster asked. We just got a little carried away when he asked about what resistance ballast should he run. I guess when I look at a performance coil you have to figure what can change to cause more output ? The ratio of the primary and secondary windings or the amount of current flow in the primary windings to a point.
I would agree about what was said that the Super coil is designed for most of the primary resistance to be external. I know when I bought one many years ago it came with a .25 ballast and I will say if I was running points I would not run the full 12 volts to the coil like I am doing now with the MP electronic ign. Since the ECU can control coil buildup and current flow I would think thats why I have been able to run the full 12 volts to the Super Coil and have no problems with no external resister. But I would never do that with points since they cant change the dwell and I would think it would be harder on the condenser to control the points from arcing. I just wanted the original poster to know what I have been able to use. He has to use what he feels best with for primary resistance. I should go out and measure the primary current flow in my setup as I am very curious what it will be compared to what the stock system is. And I should check it with the key on and the eng running. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 09/05/17 10:22 PM.
Re: Accel Yellow SuperCoil input voltage [Re: 383man] #2366087
09/05/17 10:27 PM
09/05/17 10:27 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Way back in the dark ages I ran the accell super coil on a 440 street car with a stock dist/HEI module with no ballast & it ran flawless & started almost instantaneously in the summer time with the right amt of pumps on the thermoquad. Later per my inquiry Accell sent me a letter saying to run a .7 or .8 ohm ballast with it (I forget which, was 35 yrs ago).

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Accel Yellow SuperCoil input voltage [Re: dogdays] #2366187
09/06/17 01:17 AM
09/06/17 01:17 AM
Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Diplomat360 Offline OP
top fuel
Diplomat360  Offline OP
top fuel
D

Windsor, ON, Canada
Originally Posted By dogdays
...The 140001 Super Coil is designed with most of the primary resistance external of the coil to reduce inductive reactance and therefore increase the coil output.

To everyone else, unless you ARE an electrical engineer or somehow have learned about R-L-C circuits, this is the part of alternating current circuits that you cannot understand with a direct current brain...

Hmm...so you posted in the thread to add value to the conversation or just to add noise???

So here is what always floors me with these kinds of "discussions"...lol. To start off with I brought as much quantitative data as I could gather given MY level of understanding of the relationships between the resistance, voltage and coil performance. I clearly asked for insight into this, meanwhile both you and Supercuda provided a criptic one-liner answers, both very much coming through in that "holier than though" and almost condesending kind of a way.

So here is my request to you, unless you can explain the principles in a way that non-experts can understand, please do your best to refrain from responding.

Statements like:

Quote:
...it has been too long from EE201 and EE301...

AND
Quote:
...The 140001 Super Coil is designed with most of the primary resistance external of the coil to reduce inductive reactance and therefore increase the coil output.

360, what part of that did you not understand?...

are nothing more than a piss poor excuse for your lack of understanding and therefore inability to explain the results.

Again, just to be clear here let me re-iterate: I am thrilled to post my experience in hopes of getting insightful and helpful feedback, but I see no point in further responding to the types of posts both of you have provided.

WO23Coronet, 383Man, fast68plymouth, Cab_Burge and RapidRobert, gentlemen, I appreciate your helpful feedback!!!

Re: Accel Yellow SuperCoil input voltage [Re: Diplomat360] #2366210
09/06/17 02:04 AM
09/06/17 02:04 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
You are welcome & I agree there are several Moparts members here who are always (or regularly) on the rag.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Accel Yellow SuperCoil input voltage [Re: RapidRobert] #2366927
09/07/17 01:20 PM
09/07/17 01:20 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Your welcome Sir. I always enjoy talking Mopars and hope that sometimes what I have learnt over the years can help some. But none of us know it all so we all try to help each other as best we can. If I can help anyone in the hobby it makes it even more fun for me. Thanks , Ron

Re: Accel Yellow SuperCoil input voltage [Re: Supercuda] #2414545
12/07/17 02:13 AM
12/07/17 02:13 AM
Scatchamatoon
S
Saskabusa Offline
enthusiast
Saskabusa  Offline
enthusiast
S

Scatchamatoon

The coils Impedance is mainly inductive reactance XL with very little Resistance. XL is dependant on frequency which is engine RPM.

Impedance is a combination of the XL and R of the coil

Primary winding current will be determined by the voltage divide by the impedance of the coil Z.

I(primary)=Volts(12v) /Z

So as RPM increases the XL increases and primary current will decrease.

High primary current at idle and low primary current at higher RPM

By adding a resistor the total impedance will become more stable and not vary as much with RPM.

This is what I remember from ENGE 121

I would recommend following the directions from Accel.

I had a 360 in an 81 IMPERIAL with a super coil. I ran it with the stock ballast resistor and never had any problems.

Im guessing if you don't have enough external resistance and then idle the car a lot primary current will be high and could potentially over heat the coil, shortening it's life.

The ECU is a transistor that grounds the coil to give you the high voltage spark. The primary current has to go to ground through it. It will have some limit to how much current it can safely handle but I don't know what that is.

Last edited by Saskabusa; 12/07/17 02:22 AM.

1974 Roadrunner

1967 Charger
Re: Accel Yellow SuperCoil input voltage [Re: Diplomat360] #2414629
12/07/17 12:05 PM
12/07/17 12:05 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
The spark is generated when the ground is removed from the coil primary.

The ballast is a thermistor. A resistor that changes value based on temperature. So it is more effective that a normal resistor.

Don't be the exception.
Page 1 of 2 1 2