Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2414463 - 12/06/17 08:11 PM Re: Got record player 4 girlfriend anyone else still play recor [Re: rdrnr6970]
srt Offline

Loc: USSA
I have a linear tracking pioneer that I one day thought worth keeping. Since scoring a mr78 tuner, c27 preamp, mc2205 amp, and Revox B77 I've been re-thinking that. Earlier this year everything was cleaned up with deoxit, tested and hooked to a old pair of infinity speakers and I decided music was designed to be a scale, not 1's and 0's.
I'm now on the fence to put this into service with a dac (for dvd's and sat tv), run two systems, gear up for two systems (new analog turntable and new speakers), or off everything and be done with it. The older I get I want things "right" or "down the road".

#2414507 - 12/06/17 09:53 PM Re: Got record player 4 girlfriend anyone else still play recor [Re: rdrnr6970]
parksr5 Offline
mopar

Loc: Oh
My Dad used to rock out all the time during my childhood. He'd play his records and also had a reel to reel. My brother has all of his records and recently bought a record player to listen to them all again.

I can't remember which record player my Dad had but I remember his reel to reel was a Pioneer, his speakers were Venturi Bic America's and he always had Nakamichi receivers and amps. His Bic speakers sounded great for years, so much so that I bought a set of my own when I was a teenager and they still sound great today 20 some years later.

One of my Dad's Zeppelin records skipped on one song; to this day, every time I hear the song, I hear the sound of the skip in my head. Weird how things like that stick with you.

#2415014 - 12/07/17 09:23 PM Re: Got record player 4 girlfriend anyone else still play recor [Re: rdrnr6970]
DUFFMAN Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Loc: HEMItown
I just got into vinyl that last couple of years. I set up a listening system in our family room that consists of a Carver amp from 1990, a Technics turntable from 1986 with a Shure HE cartridge and a pair of Mirage FRX7 speakers from the early 2000s.

#2415090 - 12/08/17 12:29 AM Re: Got record player 4 girlfriend anyone else still play recor [Re: rdrnr6970]
hosehead Offline
top fuel

Loc: Pasadena, california
Only way to listen! Thorens td-165, marantz 2270, jbl 4311 studio monitors.

Attachments
IMG_1014.JPG

#2415092 - 12/08/17 12:44 AM Re: Got record player 4 girlfriend anyone else still play recor [Re: hosehead]
65pacecar Online   happy
master

Loc: KY
Originally Posted By hosehead
Only way to listen! Thorens td-165, marantz 2270, jbl 4311 studio monitors.

My Thorens is pretty sensitive on a flat perfectly balanced surface with a granite slab, how do you get it to play sitting at a 90 degree angle. That's pretty impressive.

#2415093 - 12/08/17 12:48 AM Re: Got record player 4 girlfriend anyone else still play recor [Re: rdrnr6970]
Dave Hall Offline
top fuel

Loc: Cotati, CA
I still have a bunch of old vinyl. I've been packing it around in boxes for 20 years. I haven't had a turntable since about 1997. Recently I found a copy of "Robin Trower Live" on vinyl and my nephew gave me a new in the box turntable. I moved into a new (for me) house and spent time hooking up the old stereo system including the new turntable. I got that pristine copy of that live record out and preceded to cue it up. Well, I was pretty disappointed because the turntable was too fast and it sounded like the damn chipmunks had infested old James Dewar. No timing lights, no nothing. a 45 and a 33-1/3 button. DAMMIT! I thought about it for awhile and realized the turntable was belt drive. I did some creative gear changing and WHOLAH! I can listen to my albums again! Some of them aren't as good as I remember. Kind of like restored muscle cars! fart

#2415613 - 12/09/17 01:21 AM Re: Got record player 4 girlfriend anyone else still play recor [Re: Dave Hall]
RamblerMan Offline
master

Loc: Castlegar, BC, Canada
LP's, 8-tracks, Stereo or Quad.

Trying to get an Elcaset deck to play with for a little bit.

Attachments
Quad Stuff 001.JPG

#2415828 - 12/09/17 03:48 PM Re: Got record player 4 girlfriend anyone else still play recor [Re: RamblerMan]
rapom Offline
top fuel

Loc: Northern OH
I got a nice 70's settup for my garage at a yard sale for next to nothing last summer. (sansui reciever, record player, pioneer equalizer, High end sharp cassette player with analog meters, and 8 track tape player.

Can't remember the name of the record player but you can tell it's nice. I have a 1980 fisher CA-880 which puts plenty of power but can be had for a lot less money if you look around.

The only problem was that this beast turned out to be worth to much even needing gone through so I put it on ebay. I couldn't believe the specs. on this thing. (I can't believe it is bringing this much money and still needing to be gone through)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sansui-DC-Pure-Power-G9000/253291221593?hash=item3af9555259:g:eioAAOSwttVaIyLa

Edited by rapom (12/09/17 03:51 PM)

#2416077 - 12/10/17 02:01 AM Re: Got record player 4 girlfriend anyone else still play recor [Re: rdrnr6970]
69Dartman Offline
master

Loc: Portland Oregon
I got a B&O 4002 linear tracking tt quite a few years ago with the matching receiver for 50 bucks. It needed a good cleaning and lubrication and it worked again. I bought the din to RCA plug adapter off eBay and haven't really used it. I also have a Harmon Kardon belt drive high quality table I got just before I lucked into the B&O. I bought boxes of records back when everyone was switching to CDs. The truth about why records SEEM to sound better is because of the loudness wars that took over the music industry. They found numerous ways to compress the digital sound till the levels stay at 0db any time music is playing. The dynamic range is gone and all that's left is loud mediocre sounding music that sounds OK on cheap setups and speakers. A early cd will have a super wide range of sound levels and dead quiet passages between tracks, newer CDs just hit 100 percent level and stay there till the music fades. I used to buy and listen to records and even bought the half speed mastered mobile fidelity labs records because they were the best sounding, highest quality vynil you could buy. The first CDs I heard were mind blowing they sounded so much better than the best records I own, now they are just loud and over recorded, they only care about sales, not sound quality, and most listeners don't have a clue how bad music sounds now after getting used to crappy low bit mp3 music. They can't compress records as far as they can CDs and digital music so a record may sound better then the same music on CD but it's the bad mastering they now do, not the digital CD.
Now of course if you want to listen to records the best quality table and cartridge will get the best sound from them but you'll still be dealing with surface noise and random pops and clicks because it's analog and super easy to damage and will have minor flaws even when unplayed perfect condition. If any of you hear a hi definition audio track that is properly mastered with no compression you'd be blown away how sweet it sounds.

#2416084 - 12/10/17 02:26 AM Re: Got record player 4 girlfriend anyone else still play recor [Re: 69Dartman]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

Loc: N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted By 69Dartman
I got a B&O 4002 linear tracking tt quite a few years ago with the matching receiver for 50 bucks. It needed a good cleaning and lubrication and it worked again. I bought the din to RCA plug adapter off eBay and haven't really used it. I also have a Harmon Kardon belt drive high quality table I got just before I lucked into the B&O. I bought boxes of records back when everyone was switching to CDs. The truth about why records SEEM to sound better is because of the loudness wars that took over the music industry. They found numerous ways to compress the digital sound till the levels stay at 0db any time music is playing. The dynamic range is gone and all that's left is loud mediocre sounding music that sounds OK on cheap setups and speakers. A early cd will have a super wide range of sound levels and dead quiet passages between tracks, newer CDs just hit 100 percent level and stay there till the music fades. I used to buy and listen to records and even bought the half speed mastered mobile fidelity labs records because they were the best sounding, highest quality vynil you could buy. The first CDs I heard were mind blowing they sounded so much better than the best records I own, now they are just loud and over recorded, they only care about sales, not sound quality, and most listeners don't have a clue how bad music sounds now after getting used to crappy low bit mp3 music. They can't compress records as far as they can CDs and digital music so a record may sound better then the same music on CD but it's the bad mastering they now do, not the digital CD.
Now of course if you want to listen to records the best quality table and cartridge will get the best sound from them but you'll still be dealing with surface noise and random pops and clicks because it's analog and super easy to damage and will have minor flaws even when unplayed perfect condition. If any of you hear a hi definition audio track that is properly mastered with no compression you'd be blown away how sweet it sounds.

up bow bow bow up

MikeR

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,381 Registered Members
32 Forums
190,858 Topics
2,226,341 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
'72 Pistol-grip Charger SE