Topic Options
#2413492 - 12/05/17 08:05 AM Another of the Greatest Generation gone and did not know it.
I_bleed_MOPAR Offline
master

Loc: North GA
Some of you may have read his books on WWII as a member of the 101st Airborne. I first read Currahee by Donald R. Burgett in a Readers Digest condensed volume back in '67 and just recently found the complete version in the library. After finishing it, I wondered if Mr. Burgett was still with us. Googling revealed he had passed in March of this year. I did not realize he had written more than one book on his experiences and intend to read them all. Fortunately, Currahee is the first.
If you enjoy WWII history and haven't read it, Currahee is his account of signing up, basic training, and D-Day.
RIP, Mr. Burgett, you were one of the Greatest. angel

Tim

#2413512 - 12/05/17 09:05 AM Re: Another of the Greatest Generation gone and did not know it. [Re: I_bleed_MOPAR]
fastmark Offline
master

Loc: Abilene, Texas
I just went to the WWII museum at Fredericksburg associated with Chester Nimitz. It is facinating to say the least. The thing I got out of it the most is how dissappointed I am in the current attitude of the country we live in today. We don’t teach history anymore and I am afraid the future generations will make the same mistakes of the past failed empires of the world. The young people today are not informed of world events. Most everyone only cares about themselves and their on gains, we worship athletes and movies stars who have no moral convictions and we ridicule anyone who has the slightly hint of religious convictions. At least I won’t be here to see America follow the Roman and Greek empires in ruin. I agree that it is sad to lose our greatest generation.

Edited by fastmark (12/05/17 09:05 AM)

#2413631 - 12/05/17 01:09 PM Re: Another of the Greatest Generation gone and did not know it. [Re: I_bleed_MOPAR]
amxautox Online   content
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

Loc: On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
angel

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

#2413653 - 12/05/17 01:57 PM Re: Another of the Greatest Generation gone and did not know it. [Re: I_bleed_MOPAR]
feets Offline
Senior Management

Loc: Irving, TX
I had forgotten about his books so I jumped on Amazon and ordered all 4.

#2413771 - 12/05/17 04:40 PM Re: Another of the Greatest Generation gone and did not know it. [Re: fastmark]
floridian Offline
pro stock

Loc: Lakeland FL
Originally Posted By fastmark
I just went to the WWII museum at Fredericksburg associated with Chester Nimitz. It is facinating to say the least. The thing I got out of it the most is how dissappointed I am in the current attitude of the country we live in today. We don’t teach history anymore and I am afraid the future generations will make the same mistakes of the past failed empires of the world. The young people today are not informed of world events. Most everyone only cares about themselves and their on gains, we worship athletes and movies stars who have no moral convictions and we ridicule anyone who has the slightly hint of religious convictions. At least I won’t be here to see America follow the Roman and Greek empires in ruin. I agree that it is sad to lose our greatest generation.

Its too late... They keep letting the enemy come here and soon it will be just like where they came from ... mamsy pamsy's cant pull there heads out of the sand and see it....

#2413925 - 12/05/17 08:42 PM Re: Another of the Greatest Generation gone and did not know it. [Re: I_bleed_MOPAR]
Dixie Offline
top fuel

Loc: Ball Ground, Georgia
Thanks for posting, I'll have to pick those books up.
email: mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price.

#2413975 - 12/05/17 09:43 PM Re: Another of the Greatest Generation gone and did not know it. [Re: Dixie]
300by500 Offline
master

Loc: Bowling Green KY / Nashville, ...
Sad, but that Greatest Generation is nearly gone now.

I was fortunate to have had several lengthy conversations with Pearl Harbor survivor George Lewis before he passed away.

http://www.springhillfh.com/obituaries/George-Leroy-Lewis-998/#!/Obituary

The carnage those guys witnessed was unbelievable, and we owe them a debt of gratitude - along with all those at home who shared the sacrifice and bought war bonds, performed scrap metal drives, had to endure rationing of food and goods, etc. - could you imagine asking today's American citizens to make sacrifices like that?

#2414023 - 12/05/17 10:57 PM Re: Another of the Greatest Generation gone and did not know it. [Re: I_bleed_MOPAR]
cudaman1969 Offline
master

Loc: fredericksburg,va
To worried about a gay wedding cake, biggest news in the country right now.

#2414166 - 12/06/17 10:33 AM Re: Another of the Greatest Generation gone and did not know it. [Re: fastmark]
an8sec70cuda Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Marion, South Carolina [><]
Originally Posted By fastmark

iagree Pretty much sums it up.
'69 road runner 440-6, 4 speed...Dad's ride
'71 Demon 340 resto project
'01 Ram 2500 QCSB 4x4 Cummins...toy hauler
'16 Grand Caravan SXT...baby hauler

#2414269 - 12/06/17 01:40 PM Re: Another of the Greatest Generation gone and did not know it. [Re: I_bleed_MOPAR]
therocks Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Niles , Ohio
Sadly there arent many left.Too bad the snoflakes we have today dont get some lessons from the ones left.gets me misty when I see them on TV etc guys that were awarded the say Medal of Honor.They get teary eyed and say its not mine its the guys that gave it all.My old man really never showed us his medals etc.But every now and then I could get a story out of him what it was like.My mom also told me stuff as she was RAF and in London.Thats where she met my dad.God bless the mene here and gone they are truely great.Rocky

#2414529 - 12/06/17 10:19 PM Re: Another of the Greatest Generation gone and did not know it. [Re: I_bleed_MOPAR]
Matt M Online   content
mopar

Loc: Georgia
[quote=I_bleed_MOPAR]Some of you may have read his books on WWII as a member of the 101st Airborne. I first read Currahee by Donald R. Burgett in a Readers Digest condensed volume back in '67 and just recently found the complete version in the library. After finishing it, I wondered if Mr. Burgett was still with us. Googling revealed he had passed in March of this year. I did not realize he had written more than one book on his experiences and intend to read them all. Fortunately, Currahee is the first.
If you enjoy WWII history and haven't read it, Currahee is his account of signing up, basic training, and D-Day.
RIP, Mr. Burgett, you were one of the Greatest. angel

I read this book when I was 14 years old.
My brother gave it to me.
Right then I knew I was going to be a Paratrooper.
I spent 5 years in the Army in the 82nd and Ranger Regiment.

Donald Burgett was an inspiration to many young Americans.

RIP Don

Edited by Matt M (12/06/17 10:21 PM)

#2414864 - 12/07/17 04:33 PM Re: Another of the Greatest Generation gone and did not know it. [Re: Matt M]
I_bleed_MOPAR Offline
master

Loc: North GA
I was 12 when I first read it, Matt. boogie
Thank you for your service, Matt, and to all who serve/served. thumbs

Tim

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Forum Stats
25,078 Registered Members
32 Forums
185,694 Topics