Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! [Re: hemi-itis] #2412994
12/04/17 11:35 AM
12/04/17 11:35 AM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
Everytime I leave the country I have some concern (go to CA). "Trucks/Autos with trailers 55mph"..... I can't do this, no way, no how laugh2

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! [Re: Rhinodart] #2413000
12/04/17 11:56 AM
12/04/17 11:56 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
I dont run my rig in PA...period.. they are looking
to bust people.. if they want to they WILL find
something to right you on.. a $1000 or more ticket
isnt worth it to me
wave

DSC00076.JPGTrailer2.JPG
Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! [Re: mopar dave] #2413189
12/04/17 06:50 PM
12/04/17 06:50 PM
MI
68shifter Offline
super stock
68shifter  Offline
super stock

MI
The CDL requirements are still 140/90. I do the physicals daily. I haven't heard any talk of changing it or seen any documentation of that.

The Joint Commission just had the JNC-8 come out a while back and have recommended different blood pressures but that has not trickled to the FMSCA. National kidney foundation, American heart etc all have their recommendations. In the future who knows, they may change they may not but what you see in the JNC-8 is taking into account multiple comorbid issues as well.

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! [Re: 68shifter] #2413244
12/04/17 09:17 PM
12/04/17 09:17 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted By 68shifter
The CDL requirements are still 140/90. I do the physicals daily. I haven't heard any talk of changing it or seen any documentation of that.

The Joint Commission just had the JNC-8 come out a while back and have recommended different blood pressures but that has not trickled to the FMSCA. National kidney foundation, American heart etc all have their recommendations. In the future who knows, they may change they may not but what you see in the JNC-8 is taking into account multiple comorbid issues as well.

But a DOT physical does not allow comorbid issues as I understand it, it's pass/fail, no other wiggle room allowed, unless the examiner fudges the results.

They will change it, they have no legal cover not to.

All the reaction here means few remember or researched one of the many threads here on Moparts, a recent one in 2008, in the Archive Tech section "Warning on racing rigs in PA", most of today's concerns were foretold in that thread.

Attended PRI CDL Seminar last year, early in the discussion it was mentioned from the audience about the possibility of simply upping the lower cut off weight limit (curently 10K lbs) to ANYTHING higher, giving a lot of protection at the lower end weights for racers. The quick answer from the dais was,"no, they are not going to be able to change anything". At that point, I felt like the seminar was a waste of time. And then at the very end, the speakers asked for suggestions from the audience, "what could they focus on to help racers?" Guess they have hearing/retention issues.

Back in 2008 and prior, many suggested cavalierly to just go get a CDL and a DOT number (which is referenced to your SSN), and ignore the warning of the perils of doing so, but once you are in the system, you can't get out, and if you think the fines are steep for some of the violations mention here so far, wait till you get stopped with a suspended DOT number and violations.

Another thing not yet mentioned, and we are all are on very thin ice about, is the "sleep apnea" spectrum. If you are over 40?, any over weight, snore, have a deviated septum, ever say you are tired, or any combination, you may have your CDL restricted/suspended until you take a sleep apnea evaluation test (heard it is close to $1K), not sure it is treatable to resume driving. Currently the test is on hold by USDOT, but there is a lot of money on the table for testing, and I suspect its just a matter of time before it re-appears.

Again, this is only going to get worse.

Last edited by jcc; 12/04/17 09:31 PM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! [Re: 68shifter] #2413251
12/04/17 09:25 PM
12/04/17 09:25 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI

Am I reading you right.. you do a DAILY test
wave

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! [Re: MR_P_BODY] #2413270
12/04/17 09:53 PM
12/04/17 09:53 PM
MI
68shifter Offline
super stock
68shifter  Offline
super stock

MI
Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY

Am I reading you right.. you do a DAILY test
wave

No, on a near daily basis I perform the DOT required physical for drivers. Infra/interstate etc...

Jc-You're right in the future they may change the requirement-but they'll in my mind always have to have just a set number like they do now. You meet it you pass etc. But the FMCSA already has a ton of money tied up in what they have already. You're talking pamphlets, guides, there's probably 2 dozen or better training organizations where you can train in order to be a certified examiner. If they do change blood pressure or anything it will be slow to roll out just because of the amount of "ground" they'll have to cover.

Not to keep you guys off topic but frankly you're going to see more strict regulations in regards to BMI-sleep apnea requirements I bet before you see a drop in bp numbers. Not to mention what direction the Marijuana stuff is gonna go.

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! [Re: hemi-itis] #2413901
12/05/17 11:17 PM
12/05/17 11:17 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline
master
DrCharles  Offline
master

West Plains, MO
I'm an FMCSA-certified DOT Medical Examiner (i.e. I do DOT physicals) and AFAIK it's still 140/90 as 68shifter explained.

The DEA is never going to relax its asinine position that THC is a Schedule 1 (no legal or medical use) drug, because they'd be putting themselves out of work. There has to be some straw man they can protect us from. Federal law trumps state. That said, I don't want anyone behind the wheel (commercial OR personal) intoxicated whether it's alcohol, drugs or just sleepy!

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! [Re: hemi-itis] #2414015
12/06/17 01:48 AM
12/06/17 01:48 AM
Great Neck,LI,new york
hemi-itis Offline OP
I Live Here
hemi-itis  Offline OP
I Live Here

Great Neck,LI,new york
Well DrCharles,thanks for replying.Can you explain the changes in the DOT examination? I was told if my BP is over 140/90 That I might have to see a Cardio that will prescribe BP meds that will lower my numbers down to the 140 limit.It's my understanding that once you start BP meds that you will be on them the rest of your life.Any truth to that??

HEMI-ITIS has no cure.
My condition is fully BLOWN!!
Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! [Re: hemi-itis] #2414021
12/06/17 01:55 AM
12/06/17 01:55 AM
Cotati, CA
Dave Hall Offline
top fuel
Dave Hall  Offline
top fuel

Cotati, CA
Don't do it Itis! They are discovering all kinds of nasty side effects from these meds. twocents

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! [Re: hemi-itis] #2414061
12/06/17 04:48 AM
12/06/17 04:48 AM
P
Porter67 Offline
master
Porter67  Offline
master
P

It's my understanding that once you start BP meds that you will be on them the rest of your life.Any truth to that??

No its not I used to take two bp meds, and two other meds, now zero, diet and lifestyle changes but im sure it dont work for everyone.

I used to take norvasc? and ....dang cant recall the other bp, its been four years since I took them. Norvasc? would keep so much fluid in my legs I had to take a second pill for just that.

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! [Re: hemi-itis] #2414154
12/06/17 01:15 PM
12/06/17 01:15 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
There are MANY types of blood pressure meds, BETA blockers, ACE inhibiters, ARB's etc. Side affects of most are very mild, from constipation, dizziness, light headiness etc..I am not a doctor but I sleep with one who is acutely aware of the metabolism of drugs in the body, its her job. IMO the affects of HBP is far worse than the side affects of the drugs. There are ALWAYS exceptions that's why you consult with your doctor on which meds you need and their side affects, if any. I will now end my PSA.....

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! [Re: hemi-itis] #2414156
12/06/17 01:19 PM
12/06/17 01:19 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Originally Posted By hemi-itis
Well DrCharles,thanks for replying.Can you explain the changes in the DOT examination? I was told if my BP is over 140/90 That I might have to see a Cardio that will prescribe BP meds that will lower my numbers down to the 140 limit.It's my understanding that once you start BP meds that you will be on them the rest of your life.Any truth to that??

I can tell you this, I was on BP meds and the side affects were awful. I quit taking them on my own then I went to upgrade my insurance and was denied! eyes Because of Odumbocare I had to get other insurance anyway and they somehow missed the fact that I stopped taking it. Now that I put it on the internet I am sure I will lose it again... panic

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! [Re: hemi-itis] #2414693
12/07/17 02:15 PM
12/07/17 02:15 PM
Great Neck,LI,new york
hemi-itis Offline OP
I Live Here
hemi-itis  Offline OP
I Live Here

Great Neck,LI,new york
Had a routine visit yesterday.BP was 144/88.I'll take the one year med cert for the BP over 140.Think the Doc wants me to stop after the DOT exam........

HEMI-ITIS has no cure.
My condition is fully BLOWN!!
Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! [Re: hemi-itis] #2414766
12/07/17 04:31 PM
12/07/17 04:31 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Not clear to me what your strategy is. I hope the other DOT examiner's here will chime in before to you take any test. As I see it, with those numbers, you are immediately dis qualified from driving, even if your current DOT med test is not up for re cert, The examiner is required to report BP test failure promptly. Now if you are on a 1 year cycle and being treated for BP, they maybe give you 3 months? to get it under better control, and you will likely remain on 1 year testing vs 2 year for life. I suggest you research all these issues well before they put the BP cuff on. Few in the field are looking out for your entire well being as much as you are, of course if CDL driving is not that critical, have at it.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3