Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2406626 - 11/20/17 10:21 PM Construction Experts! James Hardie, Yea or Nay?
Orange_Crush Offline
Belieber!

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Getting ready to rip the awful vinyl siding off my house to expose the original board and batten. One company (certified James Hardie Installer) says it will be less problematic in the long run to just replace the original board and batten with the James Hardie product.

Did some research on the google, and, as usual, the loudest voices are the ones saying it's garbage. So what say you? Any real world experience with their products?

Edited by Orange_Crush (11/20/17 10:21 PM)

#2406628 - 11/20/17 10:30 PM Re: Construction Experts! James Hardie, Yea or Nay? [Re: Orange_Crush]
Frankenduster Offline
Moparts proctologist

Loc: Granite Bay CA
I have installed it many times. I used it on this house, my shop and my previous house. It is durable. What are the reported troubles?

#2406647 - 11/20/17 11:54 PM Re: Construction Experts! James Hardie, Yea or Nay? [Re: Orange_Crush]
Xgoldfish Offline

Loc: Toledo
Our office building was built 10 years ago with Hardie plank, board and trim exterior. Plank and trim has held up well; Hardie boards had issues and Hardie determined they were installed (in 2007) prior to current recommended installation guidelines (from 2008). Building was built by a company no longer in business. Hardie warrantied all of the board on the building and fixed a number of window trim areas that they felt were not done correctly. Hardie sent their crew to do the work and all supplies at no cost to us. This all happened two years ago, 8 years after building went up. Granted, product has a warranty. Needless to say, we were very happy with the service from Hardie and their dedication to the product.

#2406675 - 11/21/17 05:22 AM Re: Construction Experts! James Hardie, Yea or Nay? [Re: Frankenduster]
Orange_Crush Offline
Belieber!

Originally Posted By Frankenduster
I have installed it many times. I used it on this house, my shop and my previous house. It is durable. What are the reported troubles?

A lot of people claim rot, expansion / contraction issues, and bad paint (on the pre-painted product). This is on consumer websites and there is (supposedly) a class action.

Having said that, a lot of it sounds like poor installation issues that are being blamed on the company.

Looking around, especially in a boomtown like Charlotte, James Hardie product is EVERYWHERE, so I imagine that, even if a tiny fraction of people had issues, that would still be a whole lot of people flooding the internet with complaints.

Thanks for the testimonials, keep em coming.

#2406733 - 11/21/17 09:00 AM Re: Construction Experts! James Hardie, Yea or Nay? [Re: Orange_Crush]
DoubleD Offline
top fuel

Loc: NE Ohio
Its a very good product if installed correctly and per manufactures specifications - Just like any product if its installed incorrectly it will most likely fail. Find a competent installer and you should be good. One misconception is that it is maintenance free - it is not! however it is lower in maintenance than say cedar siding. I have literally looked at 20+ Billion in real estate with Cement-Fiber siding as part of the exterior skin - every single failure has been determined to be sloppy installation!

#2406803 - 11/21/17 10:50 AM Re: Construction Experts! James Hardie, Yea or Nay? [Re: Orange_Crush]
srt Offline

Loc: Over a Barrel
The best I have used on projects and later on our home. Fire proof, but zero shear. To be installed correctly plywood or other shear panel has to be installed and nailed off properly. Follow their directions (ALL, including end gaps and nailing (use a air gun) and use high quality polyurethane caulk (PL for one)). Also If using the horizontal planks get yourself a set or two of the clips. Makes install a cinch. Also get the proper nibbler type shear, don't cut with abrasive wheel the dust is rock and not good to breath.
One or two guys measuring and cutting and one on the ladder or scaffold.

#2406815 - 11/21/17 11:08 AM Re: Construction Experts! James Hardie, Yea or Nay? [Re: srt]
Baller Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Delta BC, Canada
I used the pre-painted Hardie on the house and garage. I used a jigsaw w/ a Hardie blade for some difficult cuts and just scored w/ a straight blade and snapped the planks for any vertical cuts. Most everything out here is Hardie, and other than the caulking at the vertical joints (which proved to fail and is no longer required) the boards are holding up well in on buildings that I've seen. In the end, it all comes down to proper installation. I also used real wood around my windows.

#2406943 - 11/21/17 03:27 PM Re: Construction Experts! James Hardie, Yea or Nay? [Re: Baller]
Neil Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Eagle, Idaho
Numerous McDonalds stores here have it. I think if it were issue prone, outside of contractor installation errors, they wouldn't be using it. Tearing the siding off a fast food store and redoing it would kill their drive-thru sales so they seek out long lasting & low maintenance materials.

#2406951 - 11/21/17 03:46 PM Re: Construction Experts! James Hardie, Yea or Nay? [Re: Neil]
skicker Offline
Pro Stock

Loc: Western Md.
I checked into a vertical Hardi Plank for the front of my garage. I ended up not using it and opted for a panel made from PVC Plastic that was pre-painted.
The stuff was from a company called "Celect" and was an 8" Board and Batten design...
It was just a cleaner look than the Hardi product...Maybe a tick more expensive also...
I think it would be good for an accent area...maybe not for long runs vertically.
Mine was ordered in 10' but I think it was available up to 14' long... twocents

Attachments
0924170811.jpg

0924171023.jpg

Sorry Doc...

We'll try again in 4 years...up

#2407077 - 11/21/17 07:36 PM Re: Construction Experts! James Hardie, Yea or Nay? [Re: skicker]
minivan Offline
master

Loc: Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted By skicker
I checked into a vertical Hardi Plank for the front of my garage. I ended up not using it and opted for a panel made from PVC Plastic that was pre-painted.
The stuff was from a company called "Celect" and was an 8" Board and Batten design...
It was just a cleaner look than the Hardi product...Maybe a tick more expensive also...
I think it would be good for an accent area...maybe not for long runs vertically.
Mine was ordered in 10' but I think it was available up to 14' long... twocents

I see " this old house" using the pvc boards and such.. I have looked at them at my local home depot.. Probably a good way to go..
The stuff that was the big failure was sawdust/glue based siding ( I wanna say Lousiana Pacific??) that went bad and as far as I know was a class action replacement case.. All of the replacement jobs of these that I saw, were made with hardy board or a concrete board of another name.

#2407125 - 11/21/17 09:14 PM Re: Construction Experts! James Hardie, Yea or Nay? [Re: Orange_Crush]
Superfreak Online   content
master

Loc: the great white north
Certainteed also makes a cementitious plank which is what I used on my house. We use Hardie colour plus panels on all our projects. Most of the plank type products that first came out were having a lot of shrinkage issues which was caused by to much fly-ash. The product I am using still has a little shrinkage at the joints and I made the joints tight and the material was sitting outside but covered for at least two months which made it well climatized.

#2407131 - 11/21/17 09:19 PM Re: Construction Experts! James Hardie, Yea or Nay? [Re: Orange_Crush]
srt Offline

Yep, LP innerseal, a terrible product that is how I ended up with Hardie.
LP's class action was a farce and hardly offset repairs as the settlement required them to pro-rate only currently damaged boards. Even though there was more boards failing that would require more work, and a separate settlement later. The house we bought in '12 has innerseal and I was able to negotiate a huge price reduction because of it.

#2407135 - 11/21/17 09:23 PM Re: Construction Experts! James Hardie, Yea or Nay? [Re: Orange_Crush]
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer

Loc: Still moving in.
The early issues with Hardi-Plank were with the pre-primed versions. People would install it as primed & leave it that way when it was supposed to be painted after installation. If wet enough over time, the primer alone was not enough.

It is a great product when installed correctly, I love it.

#2407247 - 11/22/17 06:52 AM Re: Construction Experts! James Hardie, Yea or Nay? [Re: Orange_Crush]
fastmark Offline
master

Loc: Abilene, Texas
Hardi-plank is all I use on my remodels. I have a gun that I set very carefully. Most of the time I set it with the head sticking up slightly and finish it with a hammer. Never let it blow through too deep. Sometimes it will bend a nail or hit something and just not drive at all. You have to caulk those spots real well. I prime the back side and ends of anyplace that sees a lot of water. Like the first run on the bottom and the fascia board and drip edge. I use the 1 x 4” on the drip edge and install it with 3.5” screws. I use the best primer I can buy on it and prime with a brush. I caulk all the joints. Using this method, I’ve never had a problem in my years. I’ve used it since it first came out. The bottom will not withstand impacts, however so you need to make sure it is well supported and not lipped over with no support, or a mower will break it off.

#2407327 - 11/22/17 10:06 AM Re: Construction Experts! James Hardie, Yea or Nay? [Re: Orange_Crush]
srt Offline

fastmark, do you use 2x4's at corners and windows? Do you trim out first and hold back planks, or rabbet cut a relief on trim and install after planks are up and caulk rabbet full?
I've seen it both ways, and think the rabbet cut is a better method.

#2407852 - 11/23/17 11:13 AM Re: Construction Experts! James Hardie, Yea or Nay? [Re: Orange_Crush]
BSB67 Offline
master

Loc: Prospect, PA
In our new development there are only custom homes built, but only one general contractor doing the builds. He uses both high end vinyl and hardie. It has been about a 50/50 split.

We chose vinyl over hardie on ours. We were on the fence and debated it for months. The reason we did not go hardie was cost, and future maintenance and painting. We put the savings in other house upgrades that could not be done after construction.

We know that in 10 to 15 years that the vinyl will look tired and will just write a check and have vinyl or hardie installed then.

I do think that the hardie looks a little nicer and probably increases resale. And I also convinced myself that the prepainted hardie is a very good product. With proper installation you won't go wrong, IMO.

I know of one hardie knock-off installation. Everyone is sueing everyone. Very ugly. Don't know the product name.

#2407875 - 11/23/17 11:55 AM Re: Construction Experts! James Hardie, Yea or Nay? [Re: srt]
Superfreak Online   content
master

Loc: the great white north
Originally Posted By srt
fastmark, do you use 2x4's at corners and windows? Do you trim out first and hold back planks, or rabbet cut a relief on trim and install after planks are up and caulk rabbet full?
I've seen it both ways, and think the rabbet cut is a better method.

The couple I did I used 2x6 and made the rabbet cuts myself. The store bought ones that have the rabbet cut are too deep. Most houses and townhouse around here use 2x6 for the trim.

#2407931 - 11/23/17 02:13 PM Re: Construction Experts! James Hardie, Yea or Nay? [Re: BSB67]
minivan Offline
master

Loc: Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted By BSB67
In our new development there are only custom homes built, but only one general contractor doing the builds. He uses both high end vinyl and hardie. It has been about a 50/50 split.

We chose vinyl over hardie on ours. We were on the fence and debated it for months. The reason we did not go hardie was cost, and future maintenance and painting. We put the savings in other house upgrades that could not be done after construction.

We know that in 10 to 15 years that the vinyl will look tired and will just write a check and have vinyl or hardie installed then.

I used high end vinyl on the last home I built in Oregon... 20 years later it still looked like new..

Light years difference in cheapo "trailer house" vs High End vinyl siding....

#2407933 - 11/23/17 02:15 PM Re: Construction Experts! James Hardie, Yea or Nay? [Re: Orange_Crush]
fastmark Offline
master

Loc: Abilene, Texas
All of my stuff is not new construction. I lay over good existing wood. The corners I lay the 1x4 hardie on top of the siding I usually do the trim the same way and caulk the ends good. If it is good trim around the doors, I lay right up to the trim and caulk.

#2409760 - 11/27/17 05:13 PM Re: Construction Experts! James Hardie, Yea or Nay? [Re: Orange_Crush]
Orange_Crush Offline
Belieber!

Hey guys, thank you for all the info. I think we are going to go ahead with it. These guys are certified Hardie installers and they have excellent reviews, so I think we'll be OK. I really appreciate all of the info. I can always count on you guys for good info on this stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Forum Stats
25,002 Registered Members
32 Forums
185,335 Topics
2,147,425 Posts

Most users ever online: 882 @ 03/05/17 10:15 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Women took her dogs for a walk and got killed by them...Sad
by QuickBpBp
12/15/17 10:45 PM
What's the latest PC home computer tech? Looking to upgrade
by A12
12/15/17 10:41 PM
2015 SRT 6.4 six speed challenger Boost or NA ????
by voigtspeed
12/15/17 10:27 PM
Air and MPH
by ozymaxwedge
12/15/17 09:29 PM