Topic Options
#2401497 - 11/10/17 03:07 PM Selling on eBay--Shipping out of country??
SlickRS23 Offline

Loc: Chicagoland 'Burbs
Lately I've been selling some extra mopar related parts and items on ebay, and I get a lot of requests to ship to Canada, Brazil and other countries.
I always tell them no, as of the horror stories I hear of customs agents in south America and other countries.
I would like to think Canada is better, as a lot of mopar people reside up there. And I hate to turn down a sale or not let someone have a part or item they really want.
According to the USPS, it looks pretty straight forward shipping to Canada.
If there are other fees involved, who pays these and when?
Just wanted to here other peoples experience and opinions.
Thanks, Jeff

#2401503 - 11/10/17 03:18 PM Re: Selling on eBay--Shipping out of country?? [Re: SlickRS23]
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck

Loc: Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Most shipments I have to Canada the people usually have a post box in the state, usually a UPS store and they come over every couple of weeks. Saves shipping cost and they don't declare the items coming back in... whistling

JB Rhinehart, Realist

#2401513 - 11/10/17 03:42 PM Re: Selling on eBay--Shipping out of country?? [Re: SlickRS23]
65pacecar Offline
master

Loc: KY
I ship a lot of stuff all over the world. For the most part Ebay has simplified international shipping, often the buyer pays a fee on their end and the seller sends it to a generic address at the local international airport with the international shipping numbers included from the buyer. So the seller just sends to the local facility, much easier than before.

#2401523 - 11/10/17 04:09 PM Re: Selling on eBay--Shipping out of country?? [Re: SlickRS23]
Stanton Offline
master

Loc: Ontario, Canada
The Ebay *simplified shipping* is a joke and is ridiculously expensive. As a Canadian who buys a lot of stuff from the US, if a seller insists on that shipping method then they lose the sale. Basically, shipping by USPS is the most hassle-free and least expensive to ship direct to Canada. If the seller isn't willing to drive to the post office and fill out a simple customs slip then they can stick the item as far as I'm concerned. As far as who pays what, you the seller only need to collect your selling price plus shipping costs. Any inbound duty or tax will be billed to the buyer. The buyer should have a good idea when they purchase something if they're likely to get dinged - based on the cost of the item. It doesn't hurt if the seller "fudges" the price on the customs slip at little !!

Use the USPS online shipping calculator. Make sure you select "Canada" as the destination as we seem to have cheaper rates than other parts of the globe.

We're generally pretty honest folks !!!

#2401540 - 11/10/17 04:48 PM Re: Selling on eBay--Shipping out of country?? [Re: SlickRS23]
mopars4ever Offline
I Live Here

Loc: md
I don`t ship a lot but I use USPS to ship stuff to Canada. I priced out a grille shipped to N West US vs the persons Canadian address. The cost was virtually the same. shruggy

#2401566 - 11/10/17 05:31 PM Re: Selling on eBay--Shipping out of country?? [Re: Stanton]
65pacecar Offline
master

Loc: KY
Originally Posted By Stanton
The Ebay *simplified shipping* is a joke and is ridiculously expensive. As a Canadian who buys a lot of stuff from the US, if a seller insists on that shipping method then they lose the sale. Basically, shipping by USPS is the most hassle-free and least expensive to ship direct to Canada. If the seller isn't willing to drive to the post office and fill out a simple customs slip then they can stick the item as far as I'm concerned. As far as who pays what, you the seller only need to collect your selling price plus shipping costs. Any inbound duty or tax will be billed to the buyer. The buyer should have a good idea when they purchase something if they're likely to get dinged - based on the cost of the item. It doesn't hurt if the seller "fudges" the price on the customs slip at little !!

Use the USPS online shipping calculator. Make sure you select "Canada" as the destination as we seem to have cheaper rates than other parts of the globe.

I agree with Canadian shipments, the USPS is best for that. I was referring to shipping parts to other countries, especially Asia and Australia, much less hassle for the seller. Shipping to Canada is always pretty expensive, but as long as the buyer is OK with it, I am happy to ship there via USPS.

#2401573 - 11/10/17 05:50 PM Re: Selling on eBay--Shipping out of country?? [Re: SlickRS23]
topside Offline
I Live Here

Loc: So Near, Yet So Far
I always shipped USPS doing business with folks in Canada, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Norway, etc.
At the time there wan't a calculation on Ebay, so in my ads I always stated "International buyers please contact me for shipping"; that way, we could discuss how fast, how much, etc and I could attach the USPS price quote if requested.
Only had a couple of problems when things got stuck in Customs in the buyer's country and the buyer gave negative feedback. Explaining that possibility upfront solved the problem.

#2401638 - 11/10/17 08:05 PM Re: Selling on eBay--Shipping out of country?? [Re: topside]
bboogieart Offline
master

Loc: Lost and Spaced
I have shipped many items to the UK and Australia.
Biggest would probably be exhaust manifolds or suspension parts.
The buyers have always been happy with USPS and occasionally UPS
I have never used E-Bay for anything,
so I can't comment on that aspect.

#2401693 - 11/10/17 09:38 PM Re: Selling on eBay--Shipping out of country?? [Re: SlickRS23]
Powerflow Offline
mopar

Loc: New Jersey
I sent some trim clips to a guy in Sweden via USPS a few months ago. He wrote 3 days later to say he received them! I was amazed at how quickly they got there.

#2401728 - 11/10/17 10:58 PM Re: Selling on eBay--Shipping out of country?? [Re: SlickRS23]
Jer Offline
mopar

Loc: usa
Smaller items are best shipped by USPostalService. Simple form at the PO and off it goes. Buyer pays any customs fees/tax on their end. Go to USPS.com and use the international shipping calculator, choose the country you need to send to and fill in the blanks. Very easy.

Larger items - many times the buyer requests it be sent to a US address, especially if in Canada. Many also request the item to be sent to a shipping port or broker. Again, send by carrier of your choice, and fees.taxes are paid by person who receives the part.

eBay recently expanded it's Global Shipping program. Not sure how it works for the buyer, but the item is shipped to a depot (Erlanger KY for this region) by USPS, FedEx etc, which of course the buyer pays for. Not sure how it goes from KY to, say, Sweden, but eBay sends a notice when it arrives, when it's loaded, and when it gets to it's destination. I have no idea what it costs the buyer, but as a seller, it's a very good service.

#2401788 - 11/11/17 07:47 AM Re: Selling on eBay--Shipping out of country?? [Re: SlickRS23]
therocks Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Niles , Ohio
I shipped stuff all over the world.Never had a problem.I always use USPS.they were always the cheapest.Sent an air cleaner to Australia once.USPS was like 40 bucks.It was a huge one.UPS wanted like 200.Shipping has gone up since then but USPS seems to be the cheapest.Stuff always got there no problem.Rocky

#2401806 - 11/11/17 08:25 AM Re: Selling on eBay--Shipping out of country?? [Re: therocks]
John Brown Offline
super stock

Loc: South Bend
USPS, without even having to think twice. As Rocks said, way cheaper than UPS, and no gotcha charges like UPS comes up with for items sent to Canada. I have often had three day delivery to England and the Netherlands using Priority Mail.

#2401894 - 11/11/17 10:57 AM Re: Selling on eBay--Shipping out of country?? [Re: John Brown]
moparx Offline
master

Loc: north of coder
i have a dear friend in holland, and every year we send each other items several times using USPS. been doing that since 2003 or so, and never an issue. holland has to go through customs value, but i always list contents as "gift". works very well on his end.
beer

#2403016 - 11/13/17 11:08 AM Re: Selling on eBay--Shipping out of country?? [Re: SlickRS23]
hooziewhatsit Offline
master

Loc: State of Jefferson
The nice thing about UPS for international is that they hang on to the package for the entire trip, until it's delivered. That means they can pretty much guarantee the timelines, but it also costs a lot more.

USPS hands it off to the local post office, which USPS has no control over. I've had packages take a month to filter through the local post office. Others have gone through pretty quick.

#2403139 - 11/13/17 03:08 PM Re: Selling on eBay--Shipping out of country?? [Re: SlickRS23]
ragtopdodge Offline
master

Loc: Seattle
Don't ever use USPS.

Will lose it and no way to track it after it leaves the country.

I know from 1st hand exp.

#2403171 - 11/13/17 04:27 PM Re: Selling on eBay--Shipping out of country?? [Re: SlickRS23]
p d'ro Offline
pro stock

Loc: MD
I ship high end model trains and have used Ebay global shipping.. Singapore, Japan, New Zealand, etc. Probably was expensive for buyer but easy for me. Print USPS label at home computer to KY and have mailman pick up. Done. Too much legwork the other way.

#2403177 - 11/13/17 04:39 PM Re: Selling on eBay--Shipping out of country?? [Re: SlickRS23]
mopars4ever Offline
I Live Here

Loc: md
I used USPS to ship a connecting rod to Sweden. It sat at one of overseas terminals waiting for what ever. The buyer did get it after about 4 weeks. Another guy I sold a part to uses a company in VA that holds his stuff he buys over here and then ships it to him all at once.

#2403268 - 11/13/17 07:31 PM Re: Selling on eBay--Shipping out of country?? [Re: Stanton]
68KillerBee Offline

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By Stanton
. It doesn't hurt if the seller "fudges" the price on the customs slip at little !!

Funny to see these two sentences in the same reply... I’d rather lose a sale than be out money on something because it’s so expensive to get it shipped back. Or if it’s lost or broke. I had nice 70 cuda headlight buckets that got lost overseas, I don’t want to deal with that crap. But since it was sent through the global shipping program, I wasn’t out any money.
If I ship it for less than what I have listed for. I always return unused money and definitely do the same for overseas people bc I do know it is expensive to get it shipped to them. If someone messaged me from Canada, I entertain the idea to see what shipping would be. But anywhere else, I don’t. Shipping stuff to Australia is ridiculous, really feel sorry for those guys. Last guy just had me ship it to a container in California earlier this year for a steering column.

Families rides: 68 Super Bee, 68 GTX 'vert, 73 Charger, (2) 2010 Challenger r/t's. All 3 pedal equipped. 70 AAR. 71 b'cuda

#2403936 - 11/15/17 10:05 AM Re: Selling on eBay--Shipping out of country?? [Re: SlickRS23]
DaytonaTurbo Offline

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
With ebay and their global shipping program, the shipping fees and import taxes are all pre calculated so there's no real surprises for the buyer. I usually have stuff shipped to a parcel service just south of the border and drive over but some stuff I have shipped direct if it's cheap enough or I don't have time to make a trip. If you ship anything outside of ebay, use USPS as any of the other courier companies will kill the buyer with brokerage fees.

#2403939 - 11/15/17 10:09 AM Re: Selling on eBay--Shipping out of country?? [Re: SlickRS23]
therocks Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Niles , Ohio
ragtop i dont know I shipped lots of stuff USPS and never a problem.My brother also shiped probally hundreds of packages overseas also and never a problem.but if you want to pay the insane prices UPS etc charge go for it.Rocky

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Forum Stats
24,963 Registered Members
32 Forums
185,395 Topics
2,148,639 Posts

Most users ever online: 882 @ 03/05/17 10:15 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Fall Cleanup, Anyone?!
by 19swinger70
11/23/17 07:53 AM
Anybody used this type of body repair tool.
by IMGTX
11/23/17 07:16 AM
Serious collectors only
by lilcuda
11/22/17 11:58 PM
Thoughts on this camshaft?
by EV2Bird
11/22/17 11:08 PM