Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2399238 - 11/06/17 07:45 AM Taking family to NYC...questions for local members...
NewbombTurkk Offline
master

Loc: West Virginia
I plan on taking my family (4 total) to NYC for a 4 day weekend in Dec. They have always wanted to see the sights. I am in WV and will be driving. I was planning on maybe staying in NJ, then driving to Staten Island and taking the free ferry to Manhatten.....any other suggestions or tips? Places to stay or eat or see? thanks.......

Now 1972 El Camino, original 402

#2399264 - 11/06/17 08:22 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
RMCHRGR Offline
pro stock

Loc: Spahn Ranch
Why not stay in Manhattan? Unless you have relatives or friends there, you will regret staying in NJ. Park the car in a lot and leave it there.

The Staten Island ferry from lower Manhattan to S.I. is fun but doing what you are proposing sounds like more work than it's worth.

#2399272 - 11/06/17 08:56 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
DirectSubjection Online   penguin-006
Tacohead

Loc: Middlesex County, New Jersey
Staying in the city will save you a lot of time commuting each day, giving you more time to see the city and get the full experience. I just had friends fly in so I took us all to the midtown Hilton for a few nights, they were very happy I did. Either way - things to do:

Circle Line boat tour - a great way to spend a few hours, book the morning tour leaving the afternoon free

Wander thru Central Park

Take a trip to the top of either the Empire State building or the World Trade Center. I prefer the WTC, much more room up top and better viewing.

Stroll down 5th ave from Central Park to Rockefeller Center

Visit Saks 5ht Ave and Grand Central if you are near them

There are great museums like the Moma, the Met, and the museum of natural history if you all like that stuff

There are 5 pieces of the Berlin Wall in a lobby on Madison

Walk the High Line

If you all are old enough, take The Beast - really high speed boat docked next to the Circle Line

Visit the Statue Of Liberty

Have lunch at BarBacon on 9th or one of any of the hundred cool spots in the area

Edited by DirectSubjection (11/06/17 08:58 AM)

#2399368 - 11/06/17 11:31 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
NewbombTurkk Offline
master

Thanks! I just figured that a hotel in manhatten would be too pricey??

#2399389 - 11/06/17 11:58 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
RMCHRGR Offline
pro stock

Loc: Spahn Ranch
The whole place is expensive. However, staying in Manhattan will be money well spent as far as less wasted time and a better overall experience.

The city is a zoo on December weekends - just about every single resident of New Jersey and Staten Island will be cramming their way into Manhattan, you don't want to be caught up in that! Much better to walk out your hotel and be right where you want to be in minutes!

#2399401 - 11/06/17 12:32 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
Diego (not Ted) Offline

Loc: Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
Why not stay in Brooklyn? If you scope out a good location, you may be near some delightful neighborhoods yet be several subway stops from Manhattan.

My friend used to live near the Holiday Inn on Union by 4th Avenue. The 'hood is called Gowanus, and it ain't anything special, but it's literally 3 min by foot to Park Slope (very family-oriented), close to Prospect Park, and well connected by subway.

#2399454 - 11/06/17 02:24 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
jeff968 Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Walk the Brooklyn bridge, very cool and free!!! Check out Tkts in time square for discount theater tickets. Anywhere from 30 - 75% off. The museums are all great. Central park is awesome. Food is fantastic. Enjoy.

#2399588 - 11/06/17 05:56 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: jeff968]
massdaytona Offline
enthusiast

Loc: boston mass-moving to long isl...
wherever u decide to stay/go/eat/visit/etc, make sure u bring your wallet,,,,

#2399721 - 11/06/17 09:15 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
Tacohead

Originally Posted By NewbombTurkk
Thanks! I just figured that a hotel in manhatten would be too pricey??

It could be but it depends on your budget and when you are going, worth looking into. Sometimes the Omni berkshire isn't too bad for a great location

#2399733 - 11/06/17 09:30 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
new bee Offline
Richard Cranium

Loc: portland or
Don't overlook airbnb. We stayed in a really, really nice one in Victoria, Canada, paying $82 / night. Safe, clean and in a perfect location. I suspect you could find a similarly good deal in Manhattan.
*2004 VW Passat Wagon
*2004 Mini Cooper S
*1967 Jaguar E-Type FHC

A mall cop is in our midst.

#2399740 - 11/06/17 09:38 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
Dcuda69 Offline
master

Loc: WI
I'm not from NY but have traveled there twice now.I agree on staying in Manhatten. We stayed off Times Square both trips and wouldn't have it any different. It's nice to walk out of your hotel and be right there and not have to hassle with commutes/traffic,etc.The WTC and the memorial are must see places!! We also did those hop-on/hop-off buses. They might not be the cheapest way around but it worked for us....got us around to the spots we wanted to get to, we learned a bunch in the process and one of the guides even handed out a list of restaurants...we tried 3 on his list and they were great!

#2399746 - 11/06/17 09:57 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: massdaytona]
fullmetaljacket Offline
master

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
On the light side of the NY force, you are about to be inundated by New Yorkerz racing to the rescue to make you feel at home. That's the sweet side of us that no one ever gives credit.

On the dark side of the 24 hour NY play, we are all in a hurry to make that $$$, and then make make the next connection, so don't get in our way or the Lion will not sleep in the jungle tonight. LOL

Here's my Chef-boy-R-Lee two cents as far as food goes.

* IL Posto Accanto 192 East 2nd street. Italian food like no other. See Julio after 7pm and He'll take care of you like a brother. Tell him Lee sent you and the Fam.

* Graziella in Brooklyn. 232 Vanderbilt Avenue. Great family experience over Italian food and wood burning Pizza. See Vito there and he'll also treat you like a Brother. tell him Lee sent you and the Fam.

* Ice cream? Yes! even in Winter we have it all here and we splurge in the cold stuff cause we cold blooded. LOL. Go no further than Ample Hills creamery on 623 Vanderbilt Ave in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn. Try the "Sweet cream and Cookies" It's crack in a pint.

* Murder Burger anyone? there's a Burger cold war ongoing now in New York. Everyone has the best burger and the places are everywhere, but one of my haunts is "The Henry St. Ale House" 62 Henry st.in Brooklyn Heights.

* You want any other foods, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Thai, Greek, Brazillian, French, Japanese that strike your culinary fancy, reach out and I'll try and steer you and the fam to the right kitchen.

#2399750 - 11/06/17 10:05 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: fullmetaljacket]
Diego (not Ted) Offline

I'd have to suggest Ample Hill's Ooey Gooey Cake is the one to get. boogie

#2399755 - 11/06/17 10:17 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: Diego (not Ted)]
fullmetaljacket Offline
master

That one is good as well.
Dark chocolate is magic.

oh, and there's a place called "Dough" where they make the best Donuts on the planet, where else? Brooklyn baby. These are just a few of thousands of places in Brooklyn alone.
Imagine Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, The Bronx.

The one unfortunate bump with this travel plan is that it is too short. Too much to see, hear, eat,and discover in this town. But teasers never hurt anyone except make you come back for more.

20 years back, you could have gone to some of the baddest street races on the planet and make $$ to spend it or lose $$ and end up hitch hiking back. LOL.

#2399757 - 11/06/17 10:21 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
Tacohead

Crack Pie from The Milk Bar on 56th is my fave tonguue

#2400153 - 11/07/17 05:51 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
Cudajon Offline
pro stock

Loc: Oklahoma City OK
I'm gonna dive in here. My wife saw this post and wants to see New York. I've never been outside the Airport. Plan on driving up. Do the Hotels have garages? Where do you park?

#2400158 - 11/07/17 05:55 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
savoy64 Offline
top fuel

Loc: colorado
my brother has a time share apartment there that prices out like any other resort unit------if he doesnt go there he trades out for other resorts in the caribbean.....

#2400165 - 11/07/17 06:07 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: Cudajon]
fullmetaljacket Offline
master

Hotels have garages but some have valet parking that's a small fortune.
Once, you get here, you need no car to get around. Depending on how long you are here for, I can link you up with long term parking in the city.
If on foot, (the best way) just be ready to either ring it with 6 million plus strap hangers on the Subways or walk it. Spring or Fall is a great time for walking. Lots of street life in affect. Summer it is a scorcher and Winter can be nippy, but not as razor cold as Detroit or Chicago.
There are lots of deals in Brooklyn and parking is much more relaxed in most, but not all places.

#2400169 - 11/07/17 06:12 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: fullmetaljacket]
70plymA34 Offline
super stock

Loc: Long Island, NY
Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
That one is good as well.
Dark chocolate is magic.

oh, and there's a place called "Dough" where they make the best Donuts on the planet, where else? Brooklyn baby. These are just a few of thousands of places in Brooklyn alone.
Imagine Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, The Bronx.

The one unfortunate bump with this travel plan is that it is too short. Too much to see, hear, eat,and discover in this town. But teasers never hurt anyone except make you come back for more.

20 years back, you could have gone to some of the baddest street races on the planet and make $$ to spend it or lose $$ and end up hitch hiking back. LOL.

Agreed, street racing is done. I was thinking of fountain avenue the other day. every borough had its spot.
Dough is good but i prefer the variety at Peter Pan bakery in the Greenpoint section. PP is old school, smells like confectioners sugar when you walk in.
-on a side note should we even start on where to go for all the varieties of pizza that is made in the great city of NY. that could be a 50 page argument on this site or another vacation devoted to just that. Lol..

#2400172 - 11/07/17 06:16 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: Cudajon]
Dcuda69 Offline
master

Loc: WI
Originally Posted By Cudajon
I'm gonna dive in here. My wife saw this post and wants to see New York. I've never been outside the Airport. Plan on driving up. Do the Hotels have garages? Where do you park?

lol. I didn't take this pic but I took one very similar as we walked around Times Square. Parking can get silly expensive. Maybe check with the hotel?

#2400176 - 11/07/17 06:24 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
NewbombTurkk Offline
master

I'll look at airbnb and Brooklyn. Mainly want to see the big things this first time....

#2400177 - 11/07/17 06:26 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
topside Offline
I Live Here

Loc: So Near, Yet So Far
NuYawk is a hoot. Last time I was there we went up to the top of the old WTC, and as I also recall:
Get your sleep beforehand: the place runs essentially 24 hours a day, which is an advantage if you choose to pack a lot of activity into your visit.
I recall cars parking 2-wide, even 3-wide in some spots. In the street!
The pace is fast, spool up or get run over.
Museums, Chrysler Bldg & Rockefeller Center were fascinating.
But I still maintain that the best pizza is in Chicago!

#2400187 - 11/07/17 06:43 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: topside]
fullmetaljacket Offline
master

Here we go, The Pizza war round table. LOL.

#2400200 - 11/07/17 07:05 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
Diego (not Ted) Offline

Is Dough near Clinton Hill, perhaps closer to the Myrtle side? Right by a street that twists a bit after the intersection? They had a hibiscus doughnut as their signature thing?

One recommendation I can give is to check out the Xmas bazaar in Union Square. They have some others around the city (I recall one by Columbus Circle) but when it gets dark in Union Square, with all the lights on and people buzzing around and vendors selling hot cider, it's kinda like heaven.

#2400260 - 11/07/17 09:20 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: Diego (not Ted)]
Tacohead

Originally Posted By Diego (not Ted)

One recommendation I can give is to check out the Xmas bazaar in Union Square. They have some others around the city (I recall one by Columbus Circle) but when it gets dark in Union Square, with all the lights on and people buzzing around and vendors selling hot cider, it's kinda like heaven.

The one at Bryant park behind the library is awesome - whole row of food vendors too, and an ice skating rink is set up up

The hotels I've stayed at in Midtown all valet park but don't always offer in-out privileges, but taxis and such are much better for getting around the city anyway. Valet parking for a day can run $55 - $75

#2400311 - 11/07/17 11:12 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: DirectSubjection]
fullmetaljacket Offline
master

Man, forget about statues whether patriotic or not and tall buildings or short tempers, New York City is about dining out.

Yes, Dough is near the end of clinton hill on Lafayette Avenue and Franklin Ave where it's the cusp to Bedford Sty.

Totonno's pizza out in Coney island. Been there serving with attitude since the 20's and I mean the 1920's. Get there early or wait on line for as long as for Lucali's Pizza on Henry St in Carol Gardens, Brooklyn.

Slamming Cuban cuisine in the city, look no further than Cafe Cortadito off the corner of Avenue B and East 3rd St. in my old hood, the Lower East Side.

Great Puerto Rican cuisine with a little island laziness added to it, look no further than Casa Adela on Avenue C and 4th St. in the LES. Rotisserie Chicken is to have with a plate of wholesome red beans and rice. Don't get the stewed salted Cod. It can be a bit oily with all the achiote.
or get on the IRT (6) train and go uptown to Spanish Harlem and dine at La Fonda Boricua on 106th St and 3rd Avenue.

No more info after this, if so, break out the check book please. LOL.
Just acting as a classic Zoo Yorker doing the hustle bustle. LOL.

Edited by fullmetaljacket (11/07/17 11:24 PM)

#2400333 - 11/08/17 12:01 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: fullmetaljacket]
Diego (not Ted) Offline

Totonno's pizza out in Coney island. Been there serving with attitude since the 20's and I mean the 1920's. Get there early or wait on line for as long as for Lucali's Pizza on Henry St in Carol Gardens, Brooklyn.

Prefer Grimali's or Lombardi's (my first true love), although DiFara's is the perennial favorite. Nonetheless, a slice off the street (as long as it's not Famous Ray's) is always best – like a good burger vs. filet mignon.

#2400390 - 11/08/17 08:41 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: Diego (not Ted)]
Nukechargerboy Offline
super stock

Loc: Ossining, New York
McSorleys, it is believed that Abraham Lincoln had a beer in this establishment. The place hasn't been cleaned since then. The dust on the wire and chicken wishbones date to the civil war.

#2400396 - 11/08/17 08:51 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: Diego (not Ted)]
70plymA34 Offline
super stock

Loc: Long Island, NY
Originally Posted By Diego (not Ted)

Prefer Grimali's or Lombardi's (my first true love), although DiFara's is the perennial favorite. Nonetheless, a slice off the street (as long as it's not Famous Ray's) is always best – like a good burger vs. filet mignon.

depends on what style slice you like
agreed on difaras (get there early, there is a line.)
new park in howard beach has a great neopolitan.
table 87- great coal fired oven slice
i know it is not what it use to be but i still like the upside down square slices at L&B Spumoni Gardens.
sicilian slice- not in the city but i have not had better, umbertos in new hyde park.
bar pie- i know there are many but lees tavern in staten island is very good.

i don't know of one that stands out in midtown. the dime a dozen dollar slice places all over times square and midtown are ok. the one across from the farley post office is not bad. forgot the name.

#2400400 - 11/08/17 09:00 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
p d'ro Offline
pro stock

Loc: MD
My son liked the aircraft carrier parked on the river I think east side? Can't recall, but lots of great planes on board and cool stuff to see. Lines at WTC were huge but to go up Rockefeller was no wait and had perfect view. Definitely walk around Rockefeller Center, go ice skating, shopping (Lego store is pretty awesome) and just people watch. Uber everywhere. If you can find cheap show tickets online, do it.. We took boat tour to Ellis Island and Liberty in summer, but if cold not sure I would.
Definitely hit Central Park. Not sure what happens in Fall/Winter there.
The subway is super easy. You can buy one card and pass back to each family member. Last year was about $2.50 for a ride to anywhere you get off, unlike here in DC where they charge by distance.

#2400412 - 11/08/17 09:21 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: p d'ro]
fullmetaljacket Offline
master

The many, many dollar slice places are disgusting oily with the fake generic cheese and over the top dough. You can change the oil in your car with that stuff and it will last for years. Must be synthetic. LOL.

#2400424 - 11/08/17 09:40 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: p d'ro]
Tacohead

Originally Posted By p d'ro
My son liked the aircraft carrier parked on the river I think east side? Can't recall, but lots of great planes on board and cool stuff to see. Lines at WTC were huge but to go up Rockefeller was no wait and had perfect view. Definitely walk around Rockefeller Center, go ice skating, shopping (Lego store is pretty awesome) and just people watch. Uber everywhere. If you can find cheap show tickets online, do it.. We took boat tour to Ellis Island and Liberty in summer, but if cold not sure I would.

the Intrepid - way cool and they have a space shuttle!

Spend the money and get the skip-the-line tickets to the World Trade Center deck, much easier. They also offer any-time tickets so you can go right up whenever convenient

#2400427 - 11/08/17 09:49 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: fullmetaljacket]
Diego (not Ted) Offline

The many, many dollar slice places are disgusting oily with the fake generic cheese and over the top dough. You can change the oil in your car with that stuff and it will last for years. Must be synthetic. LOL.

Still beats Papa Johns any day.

#2400502 - 11/08/17 11:34 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: DirectSubjection]
jeff968 Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Originally Posted By DirectSubjection

And an SST jet! This is on the west side, Hudson river.

#2400503 - 11/08/17 11:37 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: jeff968]
Tacohead

Originally Posted By jeff968

Yes, right next to the Circle Line's pier - do the morning CL cruise then hop on the Intrepid up

#2400504 - 11/08/17 11:38 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
krautrock Offline
pro stock

Loc: central texas
i keep reading a place called "roberta's" in nyc is a good pizza...

#2400526 - 11/08/17 12:21 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: krautrock]
fullmetaljacket Offline
master

A little over rated, but decent brick oven. It's in Bushwick, Brooklyn.

#2400687 - 11/08/17 05:59 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
Blusmbl Offline

Loc: Plymouth, MI
I liked Denino's on Staten Island. Haven't sampled anywhere near enough in Brooklyn though.

#2400699 - 11/08/17 06:13 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: DirectSubjection]
Nukechargerboy Offline
super stock

Loc: Ossining, New York

Yes, right next to the Circle Line's pier - do the morning CL cruise then hop on the Intrepid up

The Concorde was closed the last time I visited the Intrepid. They have opened up some more spaces after the overhaul, you can get to some spaces not available before. The Enterprise never flew in space, it was the test mule for NASA, but it did fly. There is a guided missile submarine there also.

If you look online sometimes you can get tickets at a deep discount from your library, if you're a veteran you get a discount. Active Duty is free.

#2400702 - 11/08/17 06:35 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Fresno, CA
We're planning a trip one of these days, but we're taking the train and walking to a hotel near Penn Station. That's about all the planning we have done at this time. We might try to have dinner with an old friend who lives in NJ, but works at Columbia, and her husband. I had already figured out that it was as much about the food as anything else...

#2400727 - 11/08/17 07:21 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: jeff968]
StukaJU87 Offline
top fuel

Loc: Northern NJ

AND an SR71 Blackbird on the deck!!

#2401210 - 11/09/17 09:45 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: new bee]
RO23dave Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Staten Island, NY
You can check out china town & little italy, lower Manhattan, one on each side of canal street. The museum of natural history with the Hayden planetarium. For pizza, john’s in Times Square, another place to just stroll around Times Square. Rockefeller center for the Christmas tree, and surrounding avenues for just browsing. Greenwich village in the afternoon into the night tons to see there. Top of the Empire State Building and World Trade Center. Dave ss/ea #1355 fury

#2401449 - 11/10/17 01:34 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: fullmetaljacket]
massdaytona Offline
enthusiast

Loc: boston mass-moving to long isl...
Here we go, The Pizza war round table. LOL.

the war was fought, its over, and joe and pats on staten island kicked butt.... the best pizza on the planet...end of story...

#2401469 - 11/10/17 02:07 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
Diego (not Ted) Offline

The only thing good from Staten Island is GZA.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Forum Stats
24,958 Registered Members
32 Forums
185,323 Topics
2,147,525 Posts

Most users ever online: 882 @ 03/05/17 10:15 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Construction Experts! James Hardie, Yea or Nay?
by Orange_Crush
11/20/17 10:21 PM
Teuton/ Helms Stocker and SuperStocker for sale
by Stewart
11/20/17 09:55 PM
DIESEL OIL IN A GAS ENGINE
by Magnumguy
11/20/17 09:55 PM
Front Drive Distributor
by LA360
11/20/17 09:34 PM