Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2400176 - 11/07/17 06:24 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
NewbombTurkk Offline
master

Loc: West Virginia
I'll look at airbnb and Brooklyn. Mainly want to see the big things this first time....

Now 1972 El Camino, original 402

#2400177 - 11/07/17 06:26 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
topside Offline
I Live Here

Loc: So Near, Yet So Far
NuYawk is a hoot. Last time I was there we went up to the top of the old WTC, and as I also recall:
Get your sleep beforehand: the place runs essentially 24 hours a day, which is an advantage if you choose to pack a lot of activity into your visit.
I recall cars parking 2-wide, even 3-wide in some spots. In the street!
The pace is fast, spool up or get run over.
Museums, Chrysler Bldg & Rockefeller Center were fascinating.
But I still maintain that the best pizza is in Chicago!

#2400187 - 11/07/17 06:43 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: topside]
fullmetaljacket Offline
master

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Here we go, The Pizza war round table. LOL.

#2400200 - 11/07/17 07:05 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
Diego (not Ted) Offline

Loc: Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
Is Dough near Clinton Hill, perhaps closer to the Myrtle side? Right by a street that twists a bit after the intersection? They had a hibiscus doughnut as their signature thing?

One recommendation I can give is to check out the Xmas bazaar in Union Square. They have some others around the city (I recall one by Columbus Circle) but when it gets dark in Union Square, with all the lights on and people buzzing around and vendors selling hot cider, it's kinda like heaven.

#2400260 - 11/07/17 09:20 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: Diego (not Ted)]
DirectSubjection Offline
Tacohead

Loc: Middlesex County, New Jersey
Originally Posted By Diego (not Ted)

One recommendation I can give is to check out the Xmas bazaar in Union Square. They have some others around the city (I recall one by Columbus Circle) but when it gets dark in Union Square, with all the lights on and people buzzing around and vendors selling hot cider, it's kinda like heaven.

The one at Bryant park behind the library is awesome - whole row of food vendors too, and an ice skating rink is set up up

The hotels I've stayed at in Midtown all valet park but don't always offer in-out privileges, but taxis and such are much better for getting around the city anyway. Valet parking for a day can run $55 - $75

#2400311 - 11/07/17 11:12 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: DirectSubjection]
fullmetaljacket Offline
master

Man, forget about statues whether patriotic or not and tall buildings or short tempers, New York City is about dining out.

Yes, Dough is near the end of clinton hill on Lafayette Avenue and Franklin Ave where it's the cusp to Bedford Sty.

Totonno's pizza out in Coney island. Been there serving with attitude since the 20's and I mean the 1920's. Get there early or wait on line for as long as for Lucali's Pizza on Henry St in Carol Gardens, Brooklyn.

Slamming Cuban cuisine in the city, look no further than Cafe Cortadito off the corner of Avenue B and East 3rd St. in my old hood, the Lower East Side.

Great Puerto Rican cuisine with a little island laziness added to it, look no further than Casa Adela on Avenue C and 4th St. in the LES. Rotisserie Chicken is to have with a plate of wholesome red beans and rice. Don't get the stewed salted Cod. It can be a bit oily with all the achiote.
or get on the IRT (6) train and go uptown to Spanish Harlem and dine at La Fonda Boricua on 106th St and 3rd Avenue.

No more info after this, if so, break out the check book please. LOL.
Just acting as a classic Zoo Yorker doing the hustle bustle. LOL.

Edited by fullmetaljacket (11/07/17 11:24 PM)

#2400333 - 11/08/17 12:01 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: fullmetaljacket]
Diego (not Ted) Offline

Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket

Totonno's pizza out in Coney island. Been there serving with attitude since the 20's and I mean the 1920's. Get there early or wait on line for as long as for Lucali's Pizza on Henry St in Carol Gardens, Brooklyn.

Prefer Grimali's or Lombardi's (my first true love), although DiFara's is the perennial favorite. Nonetheless, a slice off the street (as long as it's not Famous Ray's) is always best – like a good burger vs. filet mignon.

#2400390 - 11/08/17 08:41 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: Diego (not Ted)]
Nukechargerboy Offline
super stock

Loc: Ossining, New York
McSorleys, it is believed that Abraham Lincoln had a beer in this establishment. The place hasn't been cleaned since then. The dust on the wire and chicken wishbones date to the civil war.

#2400396 - 11/08/17 08:51 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: Diego (not Ted)]
70plymA34 Offline
super stock

Loc: Long Island, NY
Originally Posted By Diego (not Ted)

Prefer Grimali's or Lombardi's (my first true love), although DiFara's is the perennial favorite. Nonetheless, a slice off the street (as long as it's not Famous Ray's) is always best – like a good burger vs. filet mignon.

depends on what style slice you like
agreed on difaras (get there early, there is a line.)
new park in howard beach has a great neopolitan.
table 87- great coal fired oven slice
i know it is not what it use to be but i still like the upside down square slices at L&B Spumoni Gardens.
sicilian slice- not in the city but i have not had better, umbertos in new hyde park.
bar pie- i know there are many but lees tavern in staten island is very good.

i don't know of one that stands out in midtown. the dime a dozen dollar slice places all over times square and midtown are ok. the one across from the farley post office is not bad. forgot the name.

#2400400 - 11/08/17 09:00 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
p d'ro Offline
pro stock

Loc: MD
My son liked the aircraft carrier parked on the river I think east side? Can't recall, but lots of great planes on board and cool stuff to see. Lines at WTC were huge but to go up Rockefeller was no wait and had perfect view. Definitely walk around Rockefeller Center, go ice skating, shopping (Lego store is pretty awesome) and just people watch. Uber everywhere. If you can find cheap show tickets online, do it.. We took boat tour to Ellis Island and Liberty in summer, but if cold not sure I would.
Definitely hit Central Park. Not sure what happens in Fall/Winter there.
The subway is super easy. You can buy one card and pass back to each family member. Last year was about $2.50 for a ride to anywhere you get off, unlike here in DC where they charge by distance.

#2400412 - 11/08/17 09:21 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: p d'ro]
fullmetaljacket Offline
master

The many, many dollar slice places are disgusting oily with the fake generic cheese and over the top dough. You can change the oil in your car with that stuff and it will last for years. Must be synthetic. LOL.

#2400424 - 11/08/17 09:40 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: p d'ro]
DirectSubjection Offline
Tacohead

Originally Posted By p d'ro
My son liked the aircraft carrier parked on the river I think east side? Can't recall, but lots of great planes on board and cool stuff to see. Lines at WTC were huge but to go up Rockefeller was no wait and had perfect view. Definitely walk around Rockefeller Center, go ice skating, shopping (Lego store is pretty awesome) and just people watch. Uber everywhere. If you can find cheap show tickets online, do it.. We took boat tour to Ellis Island and Liberty in summer, but if cold not sure I would.

the Intrepid - way cool and they have a space shuttle!

Spend the money and get the skip-the-line tickets to the World Trade Center deck, much easier. They also offer any-time tickets so you can go right up whenever convenient

#2400427 - 11/08/17 09:49 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: fullmetaljacket]
Diego (not Ted) Offline

The many, many dollar slice places are disgusting oily with the fake generic cheese and over the top dough. You can change the oil in your car with that stuff and it will last for years. Must be synthetic. LOL.

Still beats Papa Johns any day.

#2400502 - 11/08/17 11:34 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: DirectSubjection]
jeff968 Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Originally Posted By DirectSubjection

And an SST jet! This is on the west side, Hudson river.

#2400503 - 11/08/17 11:37 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: jeff968]
DirectSubjection Offline
Tacohead

Originally Posted By jeff968

Yes, right next to the Circle Line's pier - do the morning CL cruise then hop on the Intrepid up

#2400504 - 11/08/17 11:38 AM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
krautrock Offline
pro stock

Loc: central texas
i keep reading a place called "roberta's" in nyc is a good pizza...

#2400526 - 11/08/17 12:21 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: krautrock]
fullmetaljacket Offline
master

A little over rated, but decent brick oven. It's in Bushwick, Brooklyn.

#2400687 - 11/08/17 05:59 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
Blusmbl Offline

Loc: Plymouth, MI
I liked Denino's on Staten Island. Haven't sampled anywhere near enough in Brooklyn though.

#2400699 - 11/08/17 06:13 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: DirectSubjection]
Nukechargerboy Offline
super stock

Loc: Ossining, New York
Originally Posted By jeff968

Yes, right next to the Circle Line's pier - do the morning CL cruise then hop on the Intrepid up

The Concorde was closed the last time I visited the Intrepid. They have opened up some more spaces after the overhaul, you can get to some spaces not available before. The Enterprise never flew in space, it was the test mule for NASA, but it did fly. There is a guided missile submarine there also.

If you look online sometimes you can get tickets at a deep discount from your library, if you're a veteran you get a discount. Active Duty is free.

#2400702 - 11/08/17 06:35 PM Re: Taking family to NYC...questions for local members... [Re: NewbombTurkk]
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Fresno, CA
We're planning a trip one of these days, but we're taking the train and walking to a hotel near Penn Station. That's about all the planning we have done at this time. We might try to have dinner with an old friend who lives in NJ, but works at Columbia, and her husband. I had already figured out that it was as much about the food as anything else...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Forum Stats
24,963 Registered Members
32 Forums
185,381 Topics
2,148,443 Posts

Most users ever online: 882 @ 03/05/17 10:15 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Windshield Gaskets- Who Makes the best one
by 65pacecar