03/01/09 01:48 AM
03/01/09 01:48 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Well today I set out to try and get the car dialed in and ready to race. First let me say thank god for all the rain. At least I am not missing any races due to an uncooperative car.

My day started with a nice 1 hour drive to the track. We, my son and I were listening to the local car scene radio show and having a good conversation on the way to Sac raceway. So far it was looking like a good day looks like the new shocks I put on the truck definitely help the ride, that was a plus. Well we unload the car and get ready for the day. Plug in the charger check the engine fasteners clean the car up etc. We get it up on stands for a little warm up so far so good. Well once the kill switch was pulled my day started getting ugly. My son pulls the switch and poof, we got smoke. We had a wire that shorted out and made a smoke show for us, great. Look in the toolbox and trailer and guess what, no wire. Keep in mind I am usually the guy handing stuff out at the track, well I remember giving a chunk of wire to a guy a few weeks back, looks like I forgot to replace that. Well no big deal, unhook the truck and head to the parts store. I get to the parts store and find what I need, go up front and guess what computer is down and I stand there for 15 minutes waiting to get wrung up. Starting to wonder if I shoudl have stayed home and rode the Harley instead. Well anyway I get the needed stuff to repair it, my crew chief(son)handled the repair.

So we proceed to warm it up and all goes well. Mind you at this point we are about 1 hour behind schedule. Well thats ok not many folks at the track today so no problem. So off to tech I went. Well being late I waited for about 15 minutes or so. Finally I go up to the starter and say are we gonna be able to get teched or what. He says just give the card to the new guy running the lanes, we know you are good. No problem I proceed to walk back to the car and hand the guy my card, on my walk back to my car I got pelted with a 6 inch piece of rubber in the back of my head, beginning to wonder who I made mad this morning at this point. But undeterred I proceed to get in the car and return to my pit spot to watch LilDemon make his first pass. So I leisurely proceed to make my way back to the trailer. Wanting to warm the trans up a bit more I decide to take the access road and proceed to the first turn out and come down the return road. Well all thing are going great, getting a few thumbs up from some of the spectators there, yes we had some as there was a birthday party at the track today before we raced, complete with bicycle drags, so I wave back at the youngsters as they are waving and giving me the thumbs up. Makes me fell a bit better about the patch of rubber deal. Well anyway as I am approaching the first turn off from the track on the access road it happens..The car just shuts off. WHAT THE HECK just happened! I look at the volt meter, still got voltage. Everything else is working fine. Then I dont hear the tell tale buzzing, looks like my fuel pump quits. Hmmmm, I am thinking to myself at this point, the Harley is sounding better and better. I give it a quick once over, remember the fried wire. So I look the wiring over and see no issue. I pulled a fuse, which turns out was the wrong one after all and it was fine. So I sit there for a minute or three and finally my son and LilDemon come to my rescue with the golf cart. We tow it back to the pits and look it over, mean time LilDemon takes off to make a run. My crew chief is also his videographer. So we hop in the cart rush to the line only to see his car fading in the distance. We missed filming it. Well we come back to the pit and start looking things over. My crew chief finds the correct fuse for the fuel pump and it is blown, my old eyes are not what they used to be apparently. So we put in a new fuse and fire it up, viola all better. Well almost. While it was running we began to wonder why the fuse blew, still not entirely sure at this point but we found one very hot really and replaced it as well. So all looks and sounds good.

So finally at what is now 1:30 or so I head to the line for my first pass of the day. Hopeful that the new 4 link settings, yes we finally found a better number than 84 out at midnight Friday night and proceeded to change the bars around. Oh yeah this was also the cause of the fragged wire as apparently in my semi comatose state after being at the shop for 14+ hours I pinched it in a nut on the 4 link. Anyway enough about the lite. So I am now very hopeful that we found the "magic" spot in the 4 link and I can quit doing 200+ wheelstands finally. So I do my burn out, car sounds and feels great. I clean out the throttle a couple of times as it sounded a little fat. Now it is nice a crisp sounding. So I proceed to stage. I go slow as I always do and I stage very shallow. Works bets for me on the tree. Anyway I bring the car into the beams, feeling great and anticipating a good leave. Stage the car, mat the pedal, on the chip at 5400rpm, let go of the button 1.105 seconds later(give or take)the car comes off the stop and BOOM!!!!! I loose a transmission......

So in my never ending quest to find every weak link in my car we can ad another victim to the pile. For those playing at home we have so far, one converter, two relays, one fuse, one fuel pump, one trans brake solenoid, one wheelie bar clevis, some wiring, and one transmission. Not bad for four outings to the track and 9 passes

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: Al_Alguire] #239524
03/01/09 01:55 AM
03/01/09 01:55 AM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Damn, sorry to hear of the mishaps..........sure am glad I`m slow and not breaking stuff(yet). You`ll get it Al and when you do it will be sweet.

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: Al_Alguire] #239525
03/01/09 01:58 AM
03/01/09 01:58 AM
ohio
H
HEMIDARTS Offline
master
HEMIDARTS  Offline
master
H

ohio
Wow i am really sorry to hear about that Al.
If i didnt know any better i would swear that you
were telling a story about my trips to the dragstrip.
You are not the only one who has had those problems.
I wish you luck, and im sure it will get better!

Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: Al_Alguire] #239526
03/01/09 02:02 AM
03/01/09 02:02 AM
Central Ohio, USA
Bigbeep Offline
super stock
Bigbeep  Offline
super stock

Central Ohio, USA
Al, first off, your car is beautiful. Second, isn't that what we do? Build the car, want to go faster. So we build again and see what gives. Unfortunatly you are finding them. And as for riding the Harley today, I think with the way your day went, the Harley would've been a bad choice. Can you imagine that chunk of rubber being a rock from between the duals of a semi. The car and you both came home unscaved. Sorry the trans took a dump, but you will prevail. Beep

Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: Bigbeep] #239527
03/01/09 02:15 AM
03/01/09 02:15 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
No worries here guys. I am not upset at all. Just one of those days and I felt like sharing my story with some folks who might like to hear about it.

The tranny deal is not biggie. It does not owe me anything at this point. We were talking about it on the way home. It has had it's fair share of abuse. Not a total failure either. I have high gear so I think the low band just let go. Besides there is a brand new on in the trailer, just have to stab it is place. Bet we are not going back to the track without adding more weight to it. Funny today when I was getting pushed back by the track guys, they commented on how heavy the car is and it needs to go on a diet. Told one of them later well we are actually going to ad some weight to it before our next outing.

Hey all the broken stuff is giving me something to do while the wife is in Iraq anyway

Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: Al_Alguire] #239528
03/01/09 03:05 AM
03/01/09 03:05 AM
communist bloc of new jersey
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

communist bloc of new jersey
Quote:

I am thinking to myself at this point, the Harley is sounding better and better.

i'm with ya there Al, been riding the dirtbike or street bike just about every chance i get. climb on, push the button and have fun...no broken nothing, no zillion dollar parts or fuel. racing is a demanding, expensive hobby that's sure taking it's toll on me. been starting to get back at it in the shop but the bikes sitting there calling my name sure make it tough.

Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: jamesc] #239529
03/01/09 03:26 AM
03/01/09 03:26 AM
Las Vegas
A
afxcoronet Offline
super stock
afxcoronet  Offline
super stock
A

Las Vegas
Dang Al, that sucks...you'll get her squared away...good luck...
Curtis

Taking over the World one win light at a time.
Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: Al_Alguire] #239530
03/01/09 03:53 AM
03/01/09 03:53 AM
Western Michigan
68Fastback Offline
master
68Fastback  Offline
master

Western Michigan
Al you have better patience than I, today I lost a trans which is the second car in a week, hate the smell of burnt fluid. Wish I knew trannys better. Your new motor is stout for sure.

Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: Al_Alguire] #239531
03/01/09 06:28 AM
03/01/09 06:28 AM
sweden
1Fast340 Offline
master
1Fast340  Offline
master

sweden
sometimes its just not meant to turn out well, but now you have found some week links and if repairs are just done right they wont come back for you again in alot of time

Quote:

Al you have better patience than I, today I lost a trans which is the second car in a week, hate the smell of burnt fluid. Wish I knew trannys better. Your new motor is stout for sure.

there you have a good reason to know your trannys better just take apart have alook and put back togheter with fresh parts

Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: 1Fast340] #239532
03/01/09 07:44 AM
03/01/09 07:44 AM
Woodstock , Georgia
Mopar_racer_99 Offline
super stock
Mopar_racer_99  Offline
super stock

Woodstock , Georgia
hey Al,
I can understand all to well, its days like that , you just ask yourself can I please go back to bed and start over ... and remember as long as the car wasnt destroyed on the way back home by a stray meteor, you still have next time. John

8.72 @ 154.6 ,68 Charger 578ci 440-1s, 3000# w/drvr, 2150 den/alt NA
Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: Mopar_racer_99] #239533
03/01/09 07:55 AM
03/01/09 07:55 AM
St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
D
David_in_St_Croi Offline
top fuel
David_in_St_Croi  Offline
top fuel
D

St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
I must say your list of accomplishments is definitely one I hope NOT to exceed!

I am glad to hear no injuries to people (other than the piece of rubber) and it sounds as if you had a good day with your son, which you would not have had on the Harley (unless he rides with you).

Good luck to your wife and wishing for her safe return.

https://www.facebook.com/THENEWCDRA

Proud member of the liberal scientific elite
Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: David_in_St_Croi] #239534
03/01/09 08:13 AM
03/01/09 08:13 AM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

days like that makes you wonder why you do it. but a few good days and a few trips to the winners circle will make up for it. hang in there Al.

Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: Al_Alguire] #239535
03/01/09 10:33 AM
03/01/09 10:33 AM
NC
440Jim Offline
I Live Here
440Jim  Offline
I Live Here

NC
Quote:

The tranny deal is not biggie. It does not owe me anything at this point. We were talking about it on the way home. It has had it's fair share of abuse. Not a total failure either. I have high gear so I think the low band just let go.

Holy cow, that is a bad day on top of bad luck up to now. You are keeping a better atitude than most. I would be talking about going back to a ten second car, but then just fix it like you said.

I don't understand what you are saying about the trans. Is that a 727 or a Powerglide?

I wish you good luck for the rest of the year, you earned it. Hopefully this is the last "issue".

1993 Daytona, 5.50 at 130mph (1/8) 1.19 sixty ft (PG). Link to 572 B1 - Part 1
Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: Al_Alguire] #239536
03/01/09 10:37 AM
03/01/09 10:37 AM
somwhere
S
smokinwoody Offline
I Live Here
smokinwoody  Offline
I Live Here
S

somwhere
I realy cant laugh at what you went thru...I do know the thoughts of riding with the wind blowing at your face throttling a big V twin HARLEY...

at least you found your weak links...so far...AL

better days are a coming ..anyways you had a day with your crew chief and friends...I know thats how you like to spend your time..

Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: 440Jim] #239537
03/01/09 10:48 AM
03/01/09 10:48 AM
Upstate NY
Bigcube Offline
I Live Here
Bigcube  Offline
I Live Here

Upstate NY
Sorry to hear about the carnage. Good you have a spare. If it was me I would have quit after the smoke show.

Jim

Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: Bigcube] #239538
03/01/09 01:06 PM
03/01/09 01:06 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
No quitting here. Oh yeah my second trans in a week to, last Friday we were at it til 10 or so putting a new trans in the boys Honda.

Just part of the game I suppose. It has just been a couple of bad months trying to run the car all tuned up at full power and making it work. Little stuff dont bother me, the trans does not either, I have a spare and it has a fair amount of runs on it anyway. It has all good stuff in it so I will go through it and rebuild it and fix what ever needs to be done.

Yes it is a Glide, was hoping it just broke the input shaft but I still have high gear so that is ok. I am actually thinking the plantaries have given up the ghost. But a guy can hope cant he. I will get the new trans in and we are adding 20-30 lbs on the nose of the car in hopes of getting to leave under full power.

Seems to me another famous or infamous former member here had his share of issues trying to run a 7 as well. We will keep at it. It's my hobby what else do I have to spend time and money on anyway

Oh yeah feel free to laugh away at my follies, I do. And yes a mid 10 street car sounds like fun sometimes. But I already have one of those too

Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: Al_Alguire] #239539
03/01/09 01:13 PM
03/01/09 01:13 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Al, I do feel for you, I had a SPECIAL day at Norwalk
last fall as some of the members remember... oh well
its just another day of racing... or trying too

Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: MR_P_BODY] #239540
03/01/09 01:41 PM
03/01/09 01:41 PM
Diego-Town, CA
Diego_Ted Offline
master
Diego_Ted  Offline
master

Diego-Town, CA
Al, The Putita and I feel your pain!! That's all I am going to say!! At least you have 9 passes, I have yet to make a run!!

Diego

Last edited by Diego_Ted; 03/01/09 01:45 PM.
Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: Diego_Ted] #239541
03/01/09 02:20 PM
03/01/09 02:20 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
All my buddies are at the Divisional, (Well not all, only 38 SST cars). It's sunny, and low 80's, and I've spent the last two mornings running with my wife (5K race Sat, 7.2 long run Sun.), and riding the V-Star, and feeling sorry for myself because I'm not out there.
Then I read Al's post, and suddenly feel all better!! Thank's Al!!!!

BTW, My money's on a broken planetary!

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: Al_Alguire] #239542
03/06/09 11:38 PM
03/06/09 11:38 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Well I hope to not ad anything else to this growing pile of wasted dollars. I totally destroyed my planetaries in the transmission, wish I had the camera but the wife took it to Iraq with her. Pretty much wiped a few gears clean.

So we spent today installing the new trans in the car, adding some more weight to itand will go at it again tomorrow. I sure am glad I enjoy this stuff, cause if I did not I think I might be headed for a padded room at this point. So wish us some good luck and hopefully we can have something positive to report this time tomorrow

As for the breakage. Well I just dont give up that easy, was just born that way I suppose.

Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: Al_Alguire] #239543
03/07/09 12:07 AM
03/07/09 12:07 AM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Go give em He11 Al..

And give em some from me too..

Chris..

Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #239544
03/07/09 10:25 AM
03/07/09 10:25 AM
Houston, Texas
F
FastOrange Offline
mopar
FastOrange  Offline
mopar
F

Houston, Texas
OUCH!!!

Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: FastOrange] #239545
03/07/09 08:12 PM
03/07/09 08:12 PM
Hot Rod Ridge
FastmOp Offline
master
FastmOp  Offline
master

Hot Rod Ridge
AL I admire your determination and dedication to the sport

Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: Al_Alguire] #239546
03/08/09 09:13 AM
03/08/09 09:13 AM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

Well I hope to not ad anything else to this growing pile of wasted dollars. I totally destroyed my planetaries in the transmission, wish I had the camera but the wife took it to Iraq with her. Pretty much wiped a few gears clean.

So we spent today installing the new trans in the car, adding some more weight to itand will go at it again tomorrow. I sure am glad I enjoy this stuff, cause if I did not I think I might be headed for a padded room at this point. So wish us some good luck and hopefully we can have something positive to report this time tomorrow

As for the breakage. Well I just dont give up that easy, was just born that way I suppose.

Chris..

Re: In my never ending quest to find the weak link..LONG! [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #239547
03/08/09 11:51 AM
03/08/09 11:51 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Sorry nothing exciting to report this time. Made a few decent runs, still a turd out of the whole 60' wise. Best was only 1.24, with carrying the fronts only 12-18"off the tarmac past the 60' clock. I had a few issues at the top of first gear as well with the car getting loose, there were tons of street cars at the track and prep was about as bad as I have seen it.

Gonna put some new shoes on the old gal for the MATS. We lost the old log book and frankly I am unsure of how many passes are on them right now, we know it is at least 100. They are 18 months old as well so I am just gonna throw some new Goodyears on it.

Oh yeah 164MPHand I think we can squeeze maybe another 1 out of it. Might be able to run 10.90 at 160 yet. That is next on my plate after some post MATS upgrades.

Page 1 of 2 1 2