Topic Options
#2390685 - 10/21/17 02:16 AM RIP Gord
ChryCoGuy Offline
master

Loc: Canada
An important part of the Canadian music world passed on this week. Most Americans might wonder who Gord Downie was, but that's not surprising as they never made much headway in the States. It was a different story north of the border.

Sadly, he is now gone. Not much to say, but here's an article for those who don't know but might care.

http://nationalpost.com/news/gord-downie-of-the-tragically-hip-dies-at-53

I first saw the Hip as a relatively unknown band in 1988 - thought there was something special about them.

Saw them again a few years back, 14 albums later, and they were still at the top of their game.

Will always have the memories and the music, and feel fortunate to have experienced it. For those who haven't, check it out on youtube and it may resonate with you. It's worth a look, and you have nothing to lose other than a few minutes of your time.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tragically+hip

Didn't see it posted here, so I figured I should. That's all. Good night.

#2390791 - 10/21/17 11:18 AM Re: RIP Gord [Re: ChryCoGuy]
Superfreak Offline
master

Loc: the great white north
I was never into their music. He was a very down to earth person.

#2391039 - 10/21/17 11:08 PM Re: RIP Gord [Re: Superfreak]
Genuinejed Offline
mopar

Loc: Spokane,WA
Saw them live twice in Spokane, they were amazing. Condolences to Canada.

#2391045 - 10/21/17 11:46 PM Re: RIP Gord [Re: ChryCoGuy]
restoman Offline
super stock

Loc: Sarnia, Ontario
Gordie and The Hip were responsible for a lot of really good music for a pretty long time.
I thought they were a darned good band. They had a sound that no one else had.
The Hip played here in Sarnia at least two times, but I never made it to either show. Wish I had... frown

#2391053 - 10/22/17 12:16 AM Re: RIP Gord [Re: ChryCoGuy]
DoctorDiff Offline
master

Loc: Polson, MT
I have been a fan since the late '80s.

#2391102 - 10/22/17 08:39 AM Re: RIP Gord [Re: ChryCoGuy]
Not_A_Duster Offline
master

Loc: SK. Canada
53 is too young to lose one's life to a disease that IMO should have been beaten years ago given the hundreds of millions of dollars poured into cancer research every year. Sucks for Downie, sucks for his family, sucks for his friends and band-mates. I have a young associate/friend who is currently losing his wife to exactly the same type of cancer. It sucks for them and their children. Cancer sucks - anyway you look at it...unless you are earning a living "looking for a cure."

As far as the Tragically Hip was concerned, I always thought they were just okay. Plenty of other Canadian talent that was more worthy of the attention at the time they were emerging, particularly from Western Canada. Working in the industry at the time I got to experience a lot of bands that I found vastly superior to the Hip in every way. Every time I worked at a Hip show I was underwhelmed by a band with just above average musical chops and what to me was average songwriting. I was also put off by Downie's social justice warrior rants from the stage - even back then. I've always been of the opinion that people pay good money for tickets to see entertainers entertain, and that they should should shut up and sing.

Rest in peace Mr. Downie. That disease should not have taken you so young.

#2391111 - 10/22/17 08:58 AM Re: RIP Gord [Re: ChryCoGuy]
Soopernaut Offline
top fuel

Loc: Des Moines IA
It seems the Tragically Hip aren't well known outside of Canada. All of the posters so far in this thread are from Canada or states bordering it.

Another "youngish" person gone from cancer recently is Grant Hart at 56.

#2391268 - 10/22/17 01:10 PM Re: RIP Gord [Re: ChryCoGuy]
lilcuda Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Northern California
It is sad that he is gone. I was a fan from their first hit "New Orleans is Sinking". That first album, "Up To Here" is one my favorites to have on when I'm working in the garage. Their follow-up album "Road Apples" is great, too. After that, their music got too dark for me and had no groove. I don't like anything after Road Apples.

I always thought they were an American band from the south due to the sound of those first two albums. Later on, I was surprised to hear that they were from Canada.

#2391680 - 10/23/17 08:57 AM Re: RIP Gord [Re: ChryCoGuy]
DaytonaTurbo Offline

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
53 is far to young an age to go. I feel for his family.

As far as his music and the Hip's status as this major Canadian icon, I don't agree with it. To me they were always just a radio band. With the exception of their hits the rest of their music barely qualifies as mediocre. I was ok with their music but not Downie's politics. However I could say the same about any entertainer who ruins it by opening his or her mouth on political issues.

#2391771 - 10/23/17 11:27 AM Re: RIP Gord [Re: ChryCoGuy]
ChryCoGuy Offline
master

It was just meant to be an RIP post for a lost musician who had many many fans.

But since the topic was brought up, FWIW, I always appreciate when somebody who comes from the arts community brings issues that they are concerned about to the attention of their fans. I find that they tend to have a different perspective than the rest of us, and I always try listen to what they are saying with an open mind.

Sometimes I don't agree, but many times it inspires me to look further into the point they are trying to make, and often I learn something I didn't know, or really think about something that I hadn't given attention to in the past. Can't speak for the rest of you, but for me I feel it improves my outlook on life, as I don't know everything there is to know, and realize that I never will.

I will never look at musicians solely as people who manufacture music for my enjoyment, although some do place themselves in that role. For some, I feel they have a deeper function in helping us understand a little more about ourselves, and personally I feel that we as a society are richer because of it.

Just my twocents, take it for what it's worth.

#2391798 - 10/23/17 12:10 PM Re: RIP Gord [Re: ChryCoGuy]
69_SIX_PACK Offline
master

Loc: Brantford Ontario
I am not a huge fan either but I can appreciate some of their music and I know lots of people who that band really touched. In Canada their music is always on the radio. Maybe it is an acquired taste?

This is a good tune, not sure what the heck it is about but sounds great cranked up and has a Mopar in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-WBZMRFFkU

Another song that speaks to me is this one as what Canadian kid didn't collect hockey cards and use to read all the stats and the little stories that went along with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_1j4xRDDV4

RIP

Dave

#2391931 - 10/23/17 03:26 PM Re: RIP Gord [Re: ChryCoGuy]
DaytonaTurbo Offline

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted By ChryCoGuy

But since the topic was brought up, FWIW, I always appreciate when somebody who comes from the arts community brings issues that they are concerned about to the attention of their fans. I find that they tend to have a different perspective than the rest of us, and I always try listen to what they are saying with an open mind.

Sometimes I don't agree, but many times it inspires me to look further into the point they are trying to make, and often I learn something I didn't know, or really think about something that I hadn't given attention to in the past. Can't speak for the rest of you, but for me I feel it improves my outlook on life, as I don't know everything there is to know, and realize that I never will.

I will never look at musicians solely as people who manufacture music for my enjoyment, although some do place themselves in that role. For some, I feel they have a deeper function in helping us understand a little more about ourselves, and personally I feel that we as a society are richer because of it.

Personally I find the world views of wealthy entertainers to generally be completely out of touch with the common masses they perform for. However I suspect my views would be equally out of touch if I was a millionaire who made it big enough that I no longer have to really work or every worry about the struggle to pay the bills or put food on the table.

#2391984 - 10/23/17 05:06 PM Re: RIP Gord [Re: DaytonaTurbo]
ChryCoGuy Offline
master

Originally Posted By DaytonaTurbo
Originally Posted By ChryCoGuy

Personally I find the world views of wealthy entertainers to generally be completely out of touch with the common masses they perform for. However I suspect my views would be equally out of touch if I was a millionaire who made it big enough that I no longer have to really work or every worry about the struggle to pay the bills or put food on the table.

I guess that's where keeping an open mind and thinking for yourself comes in handy.

That's all I'm saying about it.

#2392135 - 10/23/17 10:45 PM Re: RIP Gord [Re: ChryCoGuy]
DoctorDiff Offline
master

Loc: Polson, MT
I love the sound of their first 4 albums. The later songs started to lose their punch after "Day for Night", however.

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Forum Stats
24,969 Registered Members
32 Forums
185,450 Topics
2,149,402 Posts

Most users ever online: 882 @ 03/05/17 10:15 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Well, I did it. '17 Challenger.
by 68SportFury
11/24/17 10:23 PM