Superfreak
Unregistered
Superfreak
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By Superfreak
Originally Posted By AndyF
Got a reply from Ohio Crank today and they said the billet can only be made with Chrysler journals.

That doesn't seem to make sense. I can understand a forged crank only available in a certain journal size but billet is billet. It is all being machined anyway so all they have to do is punch a few buttons and then instant presto you have 2.200 rod journals.

If I got an answer like that from a place claiming to make billet cranks I'd move on down the line. I'm pretty sure if you call Winberg or Bryant or some other place that makes billet cranks and ask them if they can make the cranks with different rod journals they'll tell you sure. They can probably make each journal a different size if you want to pay for it. Someone at Ohio Crank either doesn't know what they are talking about or else they aren't really billet cranks. Or perhaps the cranks are made by someone else and Ohio Crank just sells them......

I was very surprised when I read their email and they suggested their forged piece. The price of $3024 from Bryant works but it would be nice if they could be at a $2000 mark.

So I questioned Ohio on the reasoning of this and was told "Because we buy the billets already roughed to size. We have to buy minimum quantities."

Stan

Re: Cost vs benefits of a counterweighted crankshaft [Re: ] #2390553
10/20/17 10:46 PM
10/20/17 10:46 PM
Thigh-Gap Junction
@
@#$%&*! Offline
New user name, Same old jerk!
@#$%&*!  Offline
New user name, Same old jerk!
@

Thigh-Gap Junction

So I questioned Ohio on the reasoning of this and was told "Because we buy the billets already roughed to size. We have to buy minimum quantities."

Stan

And it's impossible to take off a little more material.
whistling

Re: Cost vs benefits of a counterweighted crankshaft [Re: sgcuda] #2390576
10/20/17 11:20 PM
10/20/17 11:20 PM
Charlotte, North Carolina
sgcuda Offline OP
master
sgcuda  Offline OP
master

Charlotte, North Carolina
I'm sure for the right money, I could get Ohio crank to grind BBC journals on it, maybe even add an indexing ring for a flywheel. Still should only be around $2,000 total.

[image][/image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3