Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
With the hood done, we were looking for another project. So Glade, Boone, Rachael, Michelle and I decided to install the freshly painted, new to the car grille and headlight surrounds. It seemed like a fairly straightforward thing to do but we quickly came to realize it was anything but. The Gremlin front clip is all metal, but the inner fenders and radiator support are long gone, and the flimsy fabricated metal tree designed to hold everything in place had been on the car for fifteen years, three Drag Weeks and a wreck! In short, everything moved around, and we were trying to bolt up these nice forty year old plastic pieces which didn't remotely fit, with a bunch of irregular and mismatched screws thrown in a box. Michelle and Boone put about two hours into it, Rachael was on it for three, while Glade and I wrestled the sheet metal around for four! We had the headlight brackets out twice, slotted some of the mounting holes, swapped them side to side, and finally had to do some metal messaging to get everything in place, all very nerve wracking on fresh stuff!

The end product was significantly stiffer and easier to slide on the car afterwards, and that worried me that the plastic would get broken up at the mounting points by the end of the week, but so far,so good. It was around midnight when we finished it up, so Rachael, Boone and I decided to call it a night. It was pretty clear Dale was going to still be out there when we arrived Saturday morning, and we didn't want any of that!

IMG_0067 - Copy.JPGIMG_0076 - Copy.JPG

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2389845
10/19/17 02:47 PM
10/19/17 02:47 PM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline
I Live Here
J

MN
drinking

69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2390261
10/20/17 12:40 PM
10/20/17 12:40 PM
Metro Detroit
OUTLAWD Offline
top fuel
OUTLAWD  Offline
top fuel

Metro Detroit
"Gizmo X"? what happened to "Spike?

Great story as always!

Faster, Faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...

71 Swinger - slowly collecting dust/parts
66 Belv. II - just a streetcar
88 Mustang - turbo LS beater
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2390384
10/20/17 06:12 PM
10/20/17 06:12 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
This is definitely one of the gem threads/themes that I've come across on the Internet car hobby sites.

Always a good read.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2390728
10/21/17 10:59 AM
10/21/17 10:59 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
"I was surprised to see Michelle and Will here at Dale's tonight, I figured they still had work to do on the purple Duster", I commented when the three of us got in Boone's truck.
"She posted pics on Facebook showing it being worked on at Pinnacle Performance", Rachael added.
"Mike Mayopoulos' shop", Boone nodded, "So she let a bunch of Ford guys work on it". He looked over at me as we eased out of Dale's drive, "I thought she was going to have you tow it up to Cordova behind the Valiant?"
"I asked her tonight and she said they had borrowed a trailer from Glade and were going to tow it themselves, and I guess Derek borrowed his mom's truck, so they are set", I explained.
"Did they ask you what time we were leaving tomorrow?"
"Yeah", I laughed, "I told them around noon...or four pm!"
"They seem to be struggling with the whole lack of a concrete timetable", Boone added.
"They'll get used to it", Rachael concluded, "Or they'll learn to leave us behind...one or the other".

21369327_1931427657180865_1339003653583129519_n.jpg21369104_1931427647180866_3278282946382994117_n.jpg21462263_1931427660514198_8508146938588940617_n.jpg

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2391024
10/22/17 12:16 AM
10/22/17 12:16 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Saturday 9/9 Moving day!

We arrived at Dale's the next morning, and found him and Kelton still plugging away on the Gremlin. We learned from talking to Jacque that they had slept about three hours each. They were getting help from Dylan Samaroo, of DS Race Cars, who had been working on Beehler's car. When Beehler pulled the plug on his effort, Dylan had been fully invested and was planning to ride shotgun. Since Dale didn't have a co-pilot, he invited Dylan to ride with him.
The frustrating thing for me was that the biggest problem they were fighting was making the tunnel ran linkage and fuel delivery system work with his two 4500 big shot plates mounted and plumbed. Dale is the only brother that has yet to win a plaque for top three in his class, despite usually bringing our fastest car. When we looked at the 2017 entry list we were encouraged that a couple of the guys who have dominated Modified NA weren't going to compete in that class this year, so we had all agreed this would be Dale's best shot. So if he was on board with running NA, why all the extra work to mount the nitrous when we were clearly running out of time.
"Why are you putting in so much time to make the nitrous functional when you already agreed to run NA?"
"Well", he gave me a dead eye stare, "I'm certainly going to spray it when I get home, and I don't want to do all this twice!"
"Monte made it quite clear to you that plates under the carbs was a bad idea with a tunnel ram, you should've just waited until you had time to do a proper fogger!"
"This is what I've got, and this is what I'm going to use", he shook his head.
"What about the 3.73 gears?"
"They are going in, I can't make another trip on the 4.10s."
"This is about the same time last year that you decided we didn't have time to put them in. All year you've whined about needing parts to fix the engine and needing parts to fix the front sheet metal and I've told you over and over to put the gears in and here we are right back in the same predicament!"
"It is what it is", he shrugged, "load your stuff and head that way."

I did exactly that, so Rachael and I had everything secure and ready to roll in about two hours. It was already noon, which was the time we had agreed upon leaving. I was helping Boone load the Duster on his trailer when he brought up something I'd been trying to avoid.
"You know Mom and Grand Mother are in the Motor Home over at Darren's, you better swing by there and at least tell them goodbye".
"You know that will take every bit of two hours to escape them", I complained.
"But it gives you a good excuse to get out of here", Boone smiled.

We went over to Darren's, listened to him fire his up for the first time, Mom fed us, we visited with Grand Mother, and were just getting ready to leave for Illinois when Boone called.
"The little trailer won't fit behind my trailer with the Duster on it, so we need to load the trailer on your two car!"
"You've pulled it behind there before", I protested.
"With the Gremlin...the Duster overhangs too much and the trailer hits the Duster bumper before the tongue makes it to the ball", he explained.
"Then load the Gremlin on your trailer!"
"That would mean I would have to wait for the Gremlin to be finished, and I'm driving by myself, so I need to leave just as bad as you do!"

IMG_0075.JPGIMG_0078.JPGIMG_0081.JPG

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2392194
10/24/17 03:24 AM
10/24/17 03:24 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
On the way back over to Dale's, we happened to run into Will, Michelle, and Derek, who were loaded up and leaving for Illinois. I explained what we had to do, and discouraged them from waiting for us.
"We'll be a couple of hours behind you so stay in touch with Rachael and let us know where you are", I implored them.

Boone was busy loading and re-arranging things in the small trailer when I arrived at Dale's so I walked over to see if I could do anything to help Dale.
"Are you going to run these M/T 31X10.5W slicks again?" I asked pointing at the tires laying in the grass.
"Crud! No, they won't pass tech for the Modified class, they're too wide, I need to switch back to the ET Streets", He explained.
"When did you plan to do that?"
"Here in a minute...Robertson's will close in about two hours!"
I had Rachael bring me an electric drill with a 7/16 socket and I started removing all the rim screws so he could take them to the tire shop. When I flipped the second wheel over to remove the screws from the backside, I noticed it was soaked with gear lube.
"Is one of your sealed axle bearings shot?" I asked him, tipping up the wheel so he could see it from where he was working under the Gremlin.
"Both of the axles are over on the table have a look", he pointed.
Sure enough, one of them was very bad, with the outside bearing race cracked in several places, and for some strange reason, the press on retaining ring was backed up the axle an inch or more. He made a quick call to O'Reilly and they had one, but it didn't have the groove and o-ring on the outside. I handed him a Dana 60 axle seal a few minutes later and explained that would keep the lube from leaking, even if he broke the bearing again.
"Where'd you get that?" He laughed.
"Bag of stuff that was still in the truck, I bought them for the Dana that still hasn't made it into the Belvedere."

Dale left in his truck to get the tires mounted and pick up the new axle bearing, so I turned my attention to loading the small trailer. Boone and I unloaded the Valiant, then pushed the small trailer over to the back of the two car open trailer. With the help of nearly everyone left in the yard, we managed to push it up the ramps, all he way to the front position on my trailer and secured. We had the Valiant loaded again and were ready to leave when Dale returned, so Rachael and I put his rims screws back into the other tires before we pulled out and headed for Cordova.

I headed for Joplin up I-44 and fueled up just after we crossed into Missouri. The ole 12 valve was running good, and with the lighter load than the usual two cars it was making good work of the Ozark foothills as we were counting down the miles to St. Louis.

The first exchange of texts were with Will and Michelle. When we told them where we were, they asked why we stayed on I-44, explaining that they had turned off in Miami OK, and headed due north on US69 to Kansas City. Then they were taking I-35 to Des Moines IA, where they would catch I-80 East over to Cordova.

The second to tell us we were idiots was Boone, who explained that he was going straight north up US169 to Kansas City, then I-35 to Des Moines, basically avoiding all the hills completely.

Next was Dad, who reminded me that there was nothing wrong with my choice to take I-44, but I should have taken US54 through Jefferson City. "You're going too far east, now you will have to drive up through Peoria Ill. and actually head back west on I-74 to get there!"

Rachael asked me several times why I chose this route and finally I explained to her, "I didn't...I just started driving!"

20170909_211705 - Copy.jpg

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2392268
10/24/17 12:03 PM
10/24/17 12:03 PM
Lost in Time
Iowan Offline
super stock
Iowan  Offline
super stock

Lost in Time
This Thread is the best reality show on the internet or television!

Have a great day
Iowan

"obsolete is neat"

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2392346
10/24/17 02:34 PM
10/24/17 02:34 PM
lancaster,california
johnnycuda Offline
super stock
johnnycuda  Offline
super stock

lancaster,california
I look forward to reading Billy's tales every year, because of his tales makes me want to run DW at least once.

1970 'Cuda,Lime Light,499 Indy S/R's 10.70's @125,street driven ALOT!
1966 Barracuda 360,now a 5spd,Hemi Orange,Hot Rod Air,
New daily driver-2003 Ram 2500 Cummins 5.9
'69 Valiant 2-dr, sleeper!
New project---1938 Dodge truck, plan is a 360 with a A500, AC, Calvert rear susp., rack and pinion front with coils.
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: johnnycuda] #2392370
10/24/17 03:08 PM
10/24/17 03:08 PM
Lost in Time
Iowan Offline
super stock
Iowan  Offline
super stock

Lost in Time
Originally Posted By johnnycuda
I look forward to reading Billy's tales every year, because of his tales makes me want to run DW at least once.

I agree 100 % per cent, if you can't drive it you can't race it.

That's what DW is!

Have a great day
Iowan

"obsolete is neat"

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2392393
10/24/17 03:54 PM
10/24/17 03:54 PM
lancaster,california
johnnycuda Offline
super stock
johnnycuda  Offline
super stock

lancaster,california
Yep, I ran the Drag Weekend in Arizona in 2015, had a blast, may try the Rocky Mountain race next year.

1970 'Cuda,Lime Light,499 Indy S/R's 10.70's @125,street driven ALOT!
1966 Barracuda 360,now a 5spd,Hemi Orange,Hot Rod Air,
New daily driver-2003 Ram 2500 Cummins 5.9
'69 Valiant 2-dr, sleeper!
New project---1938 Dodge truck, plan is a 360 with a A500, AC, Calvert rear susp., rack and pinion front with coils.
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2392738
10/25/17 02:35 AM
10/25/17 02:35 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Just for kicks, Rachael kept texting everyone about their locations, and then she would check that against our route. Despite the fact that we were taking the long and slow route, it was fairly clear we would be the first to arrive at Cordova. At roughly 1AM she received a text from Michelle that Derek had blown the front transmission seal out of his mom's pick-up and they were pulled over at a station about 100 miles from Davenport Iowa.
"They can't be that close Rachael, we've been tracking their progress and they couldn't have made it that far since you last updated it!"
"I'm just going by what they said", Rachael shrugged at me.
"Get a location and send it to Boone, maybe he can stop and check on them", I suggested.
She was furiously texting back and forth between all the parties involved, but she was so tired by that point that she was literally drifting off between each reply.
Finally the phone quit going off and she fell asleep. I drove about another thirty minutes before the curiosity got the better of me.
I bumped her shoulder and questioned her, "what did they all decide to do."
It took a moment for her to focus, then she answered. "Will, Derek, and Michelle are going to sleep, and they will weigh their options in the morning. Boone says he can't make it to where they are, so he's going to stop and get a motel. He figures Dale and Dylan will stop with him later, at least to just get a shower." With that, she jammed her pillow between the door and the seat, then fell back asleep. At this point I was driving by braille, using the rumble strips far more than I was comfortable with.
Last year I had driven all the way to Columbus, then sat in line to get in, so I basically got no sleep Saturday night, and it didn't get us through tech a bit sooner, so I knew I wanted to pull over short of Cordova and get some rest before the morning sun popped out. The next thing I knew I had went completely over the rumble strips, and didn't jerk awake until the passenger's side front tire dipped off the shoulder. Ordinarily a fatigued driver in that circumstance would jerk the wheel and over-correct to disastrous results, embarrassingly though I've put myself in this situation more times than I care to admit, so I deftly pulled the rig back on the pavement, narrowly missing the huge blue state highway sign that said "REST AREA 1 MILE AHEAD".
"A sign from God, I think", I told Rachael who was staring at me wide eyed with her arms both straight out in front of her.

We parked and she confirmed we were 72 miles from the track. By the time I got settled in the back it was 4AM. The sun, and the trucker beside us pulling out woke me at 7:30AM. I went into the rest area bathroom and washed my face and hands, then rousted Rachael and told her to get in touch with everyone else and let them know we were on our way. It was a good twenty minutes before she received a response, and when she read it she sucked in a quick breath.
"What?" I asked, somewhat alarmed.
"Michelle says they are throwing in the towel!"
"Why?
"She says Will and Derek are so worried about their Momma's truck that they can't focus on anything else. They are trying to rent a U-haul so they can tow it home!"
"Tell her we have all next weekend to worry about getting the truck fixed, he just needs to unload his and get it to the track! They can even go back and get it tonight after tech if they want to!"
She texted away for a while longer, then looked at me and smiled, "They won't listen to her, so she just gave me Derek's number so I can call him direct!
"Hey, Listen to Me!" I heard her say into the phone, "Tape up your [censored], put on your big boy pants, unload your truck and drive it to Cordova!" "This is Drag Week. Stuff breaks, and we all say 'Aw,Crap!', then we put our heads together and we find a solution to keep going! You can't just quit every time you have a problem!"
A couple of minutes later she sat the phone down and laughed.
"Well?" I asked.
"They are in front of a shop right now, and they are going to ask the owner if they can park the truck and trailer there until next weekend!"
"You were pretty rough on the little guy".
"Sometimes you just have to crack the whip Dad, c-mon, I learned that one straight from you!"

21371316_1767729816589836_231523458867353229_n.jpg21430219_1932244130432551_4581850015203602574_n.jpg

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2395058
10/29/17 09:45 PM
10/29/17 09:45 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Sunday 9/10 Registration Day
Cordova Dragway sits within shouting distance of the Mississippi River, and appears to be a grass covered, rolling hills, State Park that just happens to have a drag strip on it. We attended our first Hot Rod Drag Week there in 2006. At that event there were 119 entries, and when we rolled in around noon, the tech line had four cars in front of us. We spent four of our six days at Cordova Dragway during "Rain Week" 2006, and came to love the place for it's rustic charm. We returned to the facility on Thursday of Drag Week 2015, with 248 cars seeing the track that day, and easily ten times the number of spectators. Threat of rain had many of those leaving after the first run, so when we arrived, we pulled into a prime spot on the grass next to the track, unloaded, and had a great time.

When they announced Cordova as the starting track for 2017...we had reservations, the host track needs to be a little larger these days than the other three because you have to have room to impound all the rigs, room to tech all the cars, and this would be the first year the entry list was raised to 400 cars. Another thing to consider, that's 400 cars broken down into only two groups for lane calls, so it's not like a typical big race where they call each group to the lanes independently, and might have ten different classes.

Rachael and I drove up to the gate at 8:45 AM, we were greeted by a smiling face, who had us sign the waiver sheet then instructed us to turn left at the end of this road and enter the pits. At that moment we realized that the people who had arrived before us had turned our peaceful little State Park into a full on, urban downtown, rush hour traffic gridlock. Through lack of planning by the the organizers, selfish inconsiderate parking by the participants, and a place teeming with spectators, we had no way to reach the pits in the back of the property, and park.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I'll try an illustration. Below is Cordova Dragway, The red area was the promised land, where everyone on the property could have pitted. The yellow encircled area is where they were teching cars and the yellow line is where the cars were lining up for tech, two abreast, completely blocking any ingress or egress to the outer pit areas. Now, I can be just as nice and polite as the next fellow, but when put in situations where I'm dealing with inept, inconsiderate people on a large scale, I tend to boil things down to a common denominator, which usually involves proving I can be a bigger jerk than they are. It makes me very angry when I succumb to that side of my personality, so at that point I'm a disgruntled, fired up jerk. The orange line represents the path I chose to get to my pit spot. Were we driving through other people's pit spots? Yes, yes we were. Were there confrontations and words exchanged? Yes, there was. When we came up to the road where everyone had their cars in line for tech, I motioned that I needed to get through, but I was met with shrugs to indicate the line wasn't moving. When I gunned the diesel engine and pulled up to within a few inches of the nearest cars quarter, and the car behind that one's front fender, then jumped out and yelled that we needed to get to a pit spot, I thought I was going to have a fight on my hands. The nearest participants sprang into action and pushed enough cars forward and backward to allow us to get through, and I thought "I must've put the fear into them", but when I turned to get back into the truck I realized 5 other rigs had followed my improbable path through the grass.

Cordova dragway.jpgIMG_0093.JPGIMG_0092.JPG

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2395080
10/29/17 10:28 PM
10/29/17 10:28 PM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline
I Live Here
J

MN
As Billy said the tech line was horrible... worst place/routing possible to get through. In this photo tech is at the back of the staging lanes, goes around the main pit roads, and almost ends up back at the staging lanes... to say it was a cluster F#%$ is an understatement.

IMG_6398.JPG
Last edited by JERICOGTX; 10/29/17 10:33 PM.

69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2395820
10/31/17 01:16 AM
10/31/17 01:16 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
As if we were playing a game of where's Waldo, I quickly picked out our pits in Jeff's picture. It was taken in the short time between when we pitted and starting unloading and before the brothers started to arrive. We spread things out to reserve spots for them between us and the Gould Brothers,(one of them lives in Dad's home town) and their 60 Chevy Biscayne.

IMG_6398 - Copy.JPGIMG_0088.JPG

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2395836
10/31/17 01:46 AM
10/31/17 01:46 AM
AZ
squirrel Offline
squirrel  Offline

AZ
Where's Waldo? Look for the PentaStar. smile

Yeah, I got there early and watched the line grow and grow. It was a mess, but it was fun to talk to old friends, and meet new ones.

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: squirrel] #2398591
11/04/17 11:18 PM
11/04/17 11:18 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Like much of Drag Week, Sunday Registration finds many of the participants on different planes, some are completely relaxed and well rested, simply hanging out with their gleaming machines, passing the time as Squirrel put it, "talking to old friends, and meeting new ones". The opposite end of that spectrum features guys like our own Flying Finn, who was pushing his wounded C-body through the lanes sans one cylinder head, or HOTROD.com contributor PJ Nadeau, whose 60 falcon had turbo parts scattered everywhere in front of it. Perhaps the extreme of that group battling, scratching, and clawing to make every single second count was Nick Plewniak, who has cemented himself into Drag Week infamy with his previous efforts in his mid engined twin turbo'd BBC powered S-10 called the "Stretchy Truck". This year we had all watched the internet with horror as he converted a derelict 30 Plymouth Sedan into the newest home for his TT BBC, on the strength of his own fabricating skills, and imagination. He wasn't going to make it, it was clear to all of us watching, but he refused to give up on the car, and we refused to give up on him, cheering him on as he battled sleep deprivation and parts hang-ups while exchanging internet barbs with Harry Haig and his Aussie Chevelle. Nick made the trek from western New York to Cordova Dragway despite having a car only about 80 percent done and never fired or driven!

I had been in contact with the rest of our entourage, and they were getting close, but I made my way to the end of the line with the Valiant before they arrived.

IMG_0104.JPG234-2017_Drag_Week_Wrenching_Engines_Working.jpgIMG_0253.JPG255-2017_Drag_Week_Wrenching_Engines_Working.jpg

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2398788
11/05/17 01:13 PM
11/05/17 01:13 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
When I first walked back to our pit space, it appeared to me that our group was just going to wrench on their cars until the 1 pm deadline to get in the tech line. To everyone's credit however, they had all the vehicles in line less than an hour after arrival. The trailer Boone had pulled in prior years behind the Barnyard Viper, looked positively huge when perched upon the hitch of the Ruster.
"You think it can handle it?" I asked him as we walked around in the line.
"I think these are heavier Super Stock springs under this than what is under the Barnyard", Boone shrugged, "so it shouldn't be a problem!"
"What are you going to do for a bumper to be legal for the class?"
"We'll install the fiberglass one that we never had time to put on last year", Boone smiled. "Once we decided we weren't bringing the trailer last year, it was just easier to bolt the stock one back on, but the receiver actually sticks through the bumper so we will get the 'glass one on tonight."
"Why did you guys have to push Michelle's Duster away from the trailer earlier?"
"When they were loading it on the trailer to leave yesterday, they said it made a popping sound and lost reverse", Boone shook his head, "I brought enough stuff to drop the pan and have a look, but I'm not pulling it out, so...we will see."

IMG_0091.JPGIMG_0141.JPGIMG_0145 - Copy.JPGIMG_0173.JPG

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2399130
11/06/17 12:16 AM
11/06/17 12:16 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
"Drag Week is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!"

Paraphrasing this famous movie line is very appropriate on many levels. The entry list information is released two weeks before the event, but it is based upon racer supplied documents that they hastily filled out to preregister in six minutes back in March. Throw in the fact that there is almost always a twenty percent no-show rate, and truly, you have no idea what cars are going to line up Monday morning for the first official runs of the event. Then you have the "wait list" crowd, who bravely showed up ready to participate, despite not having a guaranteed entry. In the twelve previous editions of Drag Week, not one entry has been turned away, but many of us thought this might be the year.

Another level at which the quote rings true is Tech. Every year brings new challenges and different nuances to the all day affair. Race director Lonnie Grimm had taken to the "Drag Weekers" Facebook page to tell us it was going to be "awesome" this time, and he thought it would go much better. I didn't know whether to feel good or bad with that revelation.

I was slowly moving up in the line, lost in my own thoughts when the guys in and around the big Impala next to me started talking about stack injected cars.
"I think the red Nova is the only one this year", the driver commented.
"Well I saw that Gremlin come in...", one of the guys standing between our cars started.
"Yeah, he had something sticking way out of the hood, it may have been injected", the passenger agreed.
"No, that idiot went from a single four to twin Dominators on a tunnel ram", I jumped in before I even realized I hadn't been part of the conversation. "So they stuck out of the hood quite far already, then he added velocity stacks with breathers above that...and on Dominators they don't neck down so it just looks like two periscopes sticking out of the hood, looks stupid if you ask me!"
The five of them looked at me with mouths open in stunned silence for a second before the passenger asked the money question. "Do you know the guy?"
"Yeah, he's my little brother," I replied
That response was met with a wall of raucous, uncontrollable laughter from the entire group. Finally when they had almost regained composure, one of the group repeated the line, "He's my little brother", and the laughter burst out again. I laughed along with them, but the humor was lost on me...sometimes you just don't know what material is going to work!

IMG_0133.JPGIMG_0144.JPGIMG_0171.JPGIMG_0167.JPG

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2399231
11/06/17 10:29 AM
11/06/17 10:29 AM
IL
D
Dart451 Offline
mopar
Dart451  Offline
mopar
D