10/16/17 12:07 PM
10/16/17 12:07 PM
Newburgh, NY
Old_Moparz Offline OP
master
Old_Moparz  Offline OP
master

Newburgh, NY
Does anyone know of a direct fit seat to replace the OEM seat?

The driver's seat in my 2004 Ram 1500 is slowly falling apart. I'm not a big person, only about 170 pounds, so it's not like I'm putting an enormous amount of stress on the seat. I know seats wear out but this one has worn out the quickest of any in all the vehicles that I've had or currently have.

The first thing to go was the Fisher-Price knob on the side to adjust the lumbar support. It just popped off in my hand one day & now resides in the storage compartment under the seat. I never used it that much & never grabbed it like the gorillas in the old Samsonite luggage commercials on TV. The next problem was the bottom cushion, it has strange lumps under the fabric that make the seat look like an unmade bed & you can feel it under your thigh.

Another issue is if I lean back, the right side of the backrest makes clicking & creaking noises like the ratcheting mechanism is about to let go. Lastly, I am getting a hole in the backrest near the bottom closest to the door. There's a sharp, metal piece inside that you can feel & I've seen many other trucks with a hole in the exact same spot.

I've looked online at used seats but they are not in much better shape or they are very expensive, or too far away & need to be shipped driving up the price further. I never bothered going to the dealer because if they have one I am sure it'll be more than the book value of the truck.

It runs great & I have to make this truck last a few more years because my kid is going into college next fall. Any ideas, links or info will be appreciated. up

Re: After Market Replacement Seat Recommendation? - 2004 Ram [Re: Old_Moparz] #2388387
10/16/17 09:18 PM
10/16/17 09:18 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
My 2004 seat was awesome, of course it was the leather heated seat. You should be able to get a used seat, I see them in junkyards all the time around me and most are in good shape. Is your truck a regular can, quad cab, SLT, Laramie or what? shruggy

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: After Market Replacement Seat Recommendation? - 2004 Ram [Re: Rhinodart] #2388517
10/17/17 01:03 AM
10/17/17 01:03 AM
Newburgh, NY
Old_Moparz Offline OP
master
Old_Moparz  Offline OP
master

Newburgh, NY
SLT Quad Cab.

I've been looking online for something local but nothing in better shape than mine yet. If I weren't hanging off my scaffold on the weekends I'd have probably tried a junkyard by now. There was one on ebay I spotted, it was near Syracuse but it just sold less than an hour ago for $360.

Re: After Market Replacement Seat Recommendation? - 2004 Ram [Re: Old_Moparz] #2388859
10/17/17 05:30 PM
10/17/17 05:30 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

It's buckets only, but Procar by Scat has some nice looking seats. On the last page of the catalog there are replacement seat tilt adjusters.
R.

Re: After Market Replacement Seat Recommendation? - 2004 Ram [Re: dogdays] #2388888
10/17/17 06:34 PM
10/17/17 06:34 PM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
I replaced my 3rd driver side foam bun this past summer on my 07. Also replaced several panels with OE materials. I got the bun through Rock Auto. Had a local shop do the work. One thing that has to be done is bolster the side support foam facing the door. As you get out that part of the foam collapses cutting into the frame. Eventually the foam cuts completely in half. What I did was take some vinyl and glue it over that portion of the frame. Now the frame wont cut into the foam.

“So if it’s on the internet it must be true”

Abe Lincoln
Re: After Market Replacement Seat Recommendation? - 2004 Ram [Re: Old_Moparz] #2388923
10/17/17 07:51 PM
10/17/17 07:51 PM
Plymouth, MI
Blusmbl Offline
master
Blusmbl  Offline
master

Plymouth, MI
My truck had a hole in the seatcover exactly where you're describing by 15,000 miles. I took it in and the dealer replaced the upper seat cover, and it didn't happen again. I believe they put some material over the sharp edge so it wouldn't rip again.

'18 Ford Raptor, random motorcycles, 1968 Plymouth Fury III - 11.37 @ 118
Re: After Market Replacement Seat Recommendation? - 2004 Ram [Re: Blusmbl] #2389458
10/18/17 07:11 PM
10/18/17 07:11 PM
Newburgh, NY
Old_Moparz Offline OP
master
Old_Moparz  Offline OP
master

Newburgh, NY
Originally Posted By dogdays
It's buckets only, but Procar by Scat has some nice looking seats. On the last page of the catalog there are replacement seat tilt adjusters.
R.

Just looked at their website, they have some decent looking seats so I will send them an email about the pricing.

Originally Posted By dart4forte
I replaced my 3rd driver side foam bun this past summer on my 07. Also replaced several panels with OE materials. I got the bun through Rock Auto. Had a local shop do the work. One thing that has to be done is bolster the side support foam facing the door. As you get out that part of the foam collapses cutting into the frame. Eventually the foam cuts completely in half. What I did was take some vinyl and glue it over that portion of the frame. Now the frame wont cut into the foam.

Good idea. I have a hunch that if I find a used seat, whatever seat I get will need this.

Originally Posted By Blusmbl
My truck had a hole in the seatcover exactly where you're describing by 15,000 miles. I took it in and the dealer replaced the upper seat cover, and it didn't happen again. I believe they put some material over the sharp edge so it wouldn't rip again.

Funny, if you look on craigslist or ebay all the seats are showing wear in that spot.

On a truck forum I saw someone recommend this company.....

https://corbeau.com/reclining-seats/sport-seat.html

They have a dealer in Danbury, CT that's not too far from me & may have seats I can go look at. The $598 is not too bad for a pair of seats.

sport-seat-group-02.jpg