Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2386714 - 10/13/17 07:58 AM "Platoon" of three or more 18 wheelers on interstates
360view Offline
master

Loc: USA
https://www.trucknews.com/transportation...rch/1003080209/

Sample quote

In 2016, the same team successfully conducted Fuel Economy Testing of a Three-Vehicle Truck Platooning System. This year, the group is focusing on the real world performance and reliability of CTPS using a range of tractor-trailer configurations, speeds, separation distances and weights in various traffic conditions.

Through reductions in aerodynamic drag and vehicle spacing, CTPS offers the potential to improve fuel economy, emissions, traffic flow, and road capacity by employing wireless communications and automation to create a convoy or “platoon” of multiple trucks following in close succession. The technologies employed by CTPS also have potential benefits for drivers and for increasing road safety.

End quote

It is already dangerous to try to enter Interstate I-75 traffic flow and unexpectantly encounter three UPS double trailer rigs travelling platoon style in the right lane, and my experience is very often all three UPS drivers are female.

#2386717 - 10/13/17 08:02 AM Re: "Platoon" of three or more 18 wheelers on interstates [Re: 360view]
360view Offline
master

Another sample quote

The confidence report found that with a following distance of 40-50 feet, fleets could save a significant amount of fuel in a two-truck platoon.

“The fuel economy benefits are real,” Roberts stressed. “When you talk to vehicle design engineers, there’s just nothing more they can do to squeeze another 6-10% fuel economy out of these trucks. And yet simply by linking up these vehicles together electronically, and driving down the road in a coordinated fashion you can easily get
3% fuel economy increase in the front vehicle,
second vehicle generally sees around 7%, and
third vehicle is the sweet spot where we’ve seen a saving of 10-15%.
We think this is going to be an attractive enough opportunity for the fleets to save some real money.”

End quote

From

https://www.trucknews.com/transportation...uel/1003074667/

#2386730 - 10/13/17 08:52 AM Re: "Platoon" of three or more 18 wheelers on interstates [Re: 360view]
Supercuda Offline
I Live Here

Loc: West Texas
Oh those f'ers love to run line abreast going uphill 15 mph below the speed limit.

Once traffic get's all backed up they'll finally move over and let you by.

Do I get in front, take my foot off the pedal and drop their dumbasses to 10 mph.

PBMF.

#2386738 - 10/13/17 09:09 AM Re: "Platoon" of three or more 18 wheelers on interstates [Re: Supercuda]
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master

Loc: jersey
Originally Posted By Supercuda
Oh those f'ers love to run line abreast going uphill 15 mph below the speed limit.

Do I get in front, take my foot off the pedal and drop their dumbasses to 10 mph.

PBMF.

You think a loaded rig can climb a hill, just like a car can?

#2386739 - 10/13/17 09:13 AM Re: "Platoon" of three or more 18 wheelers on interstates [Re: Supercuda]
DaveRS23 Offline
master

Loc: Benton, IL.
Yeah, when one of those guys clog up the passing lane for an eternity, I wait in front of him until I can slow him to a crawl. Maybe the next time he will think about his impact on other drivers. Maybe.

When we get start getting numbers of those autonomous trucks on the road, I'm afraid they'll stack up in both lanes and there won't be a thing we can do about it.

#2386744 - 10/13/17 09:15 AM Re: "Platoon" of three or more 18 wheelers on interstates [Re: Spaceman Spiff]
Supercuda Offline
I Live Here

Loc: West Texas
Originally Posted By Spaceman Spiff

PBMF.

Nope, I know they can't and the asses shouldn't be trying to pass going uphill either. But they do it deliberately so I get back at them. Used to be they were professionals, now they aren't.

#2386750 - 10/13/17 09:21 AM Re: "Platoon" of three or more 18 wheelers on interstates [Re: Supercuda]
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck

Loc: Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy

Edited by Rhinodart (10/13/17 09:25 AM)

JB Rhinehart, Realist

2018 Carlisle All-Chrysler Nationals July 13-14
Hurst Nationals held in conjunction includes
1968 Dodge Dart and Barracuda Hemi Super Stock Reunion!
Expo Center across from the main gate, register online!

#2386769 - 10/13/17 09:43 AM Re: "Platoon" of three or more 18 wheelers on interstates [Re: Supercuda]
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master

Loc: jersey

PBMF.

Nope, I know they can't and the asses shouldn't be trying to pass going uphill either. But they do it deliberately so I get back at them. Used to be they were professionals, now they aren't.

Makes you feel pretty good, don’t it? You really showed them!
If you weren’t in such a hurry, petty thing like this wouldn’t matter.

#2386776 - 10/13/17 09:56 AM Re: "Platoon" of three or more 18 wheelers on interstates [Re: 360view]
Stanton Offline
master

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Autonomous trucks likely won't try to pass each other but I dread getting behind a convoy if they do decide to pass a slower vehicle. I also think anyone running the autonomous vehicles will be smart enough to run the bulk of them at night when traffic is minimal.

#2386781 - 10/13/17 10:02 AM Re: "Platoon" of three or more 18 wheelers on interstates [Re: Spaceman Spiff]
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

PBMF.

Makes you feel pretty good, don’t it? You really showed them!
If you weren’t in such a hurry, petty thing like this wouldn’t matter.

I agree, No reason to be such a AZZ supercuda.

There are still plenty of professional drivers out there.

#2386787 - 10/13/17 10:10 AM Re: "Platoon" of three or more 18 wheelers on interstates [Re: Challenger 1]
71birdJ68 Offline
master

Loc: Morristown Tn.
I agree with supercuta, they do it all the time down here in hill country. One truck will pull out, and try to pass another truck knowing full well it will take 5 to 10 miles to get around the other truck, and then sometimes he will just pull back behind the first one after he has 20-30 cars pilled up behind him. They know they don't have enough motor to pass, so why do they do it?

#2386794 - 10/13/17 10:15 AM Re: "Platoon" of three or more 18 wheelers on interstates [Re: 360view]
Sunroofcuda Offline
master

Loc: Highland, MI.
I don't think the autonomous thing is really going to catch on here anyway - too many potential problems & inability to handle variables. Mark my words.

Save fuel? We are still on this kick? Seriously - after we keep uncovering more & more oil? Is someone afraid we are going to run out???
“Bear in mind that brains and learning, like muscle and physical skill, are articles of commerce. They are bought and sold. You can hire them by the year or by the hour. The only thing in the world not for sale is character.” (Antonin Scalia)

#2386820 - 10/13/17 10:46 AM Re: "Platoon" of three or more 18 wheelers on interstates [Re: 360view]
srt Offline

Loc: Over a Barrel
I believe they will use it on wide open stretches only. I also believe it will work only if the platoon stays in line. What I regularly see on I-5 is a pack of 2 to 5 trucks cruising along at 60-62mph (55 is the speed limit) and the rear truck passes 1 to 4 trucks . Of course this means he has to increase speed to close to 70 as cars stack up behind him and the other trucks slightly increase their pack speed. The stacked cars are allowed to pass and then the rear truck pulls out and repeats the process that continues over and over. It gains the trucks time and average speed while affecting all other drivers.

#2386826 - 10/13/17 10:59 AM Re: "Platoon" of three or more 18 wheelers on interstates [Re: srt]
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck

Loc: Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Quite a few national fleets are governor limited on speeds. I think Swift is governored to 62 and OD to 68 and these are for interstates that have a speed limit of 70. Some companies limit the speeds to even less than that to save fuel. Having driven large vehicles all over the country I can tell you that real "professional" drivers are more the exception than the norm nowadays. tsk There are so many openings for CDL drivers that they will pretty much take anybody, one reason I quit driving... runaway

JB Rhinehart, Realist

2018 Carlisle All-Chrysler Nationals July 13-14
Hurst Nationals held in conjunction includes
1968 Dodge Dart and Barracuda Hemi Super Stock Reunion!
Expo Center across from the main gate, register online!

#2386827 - 10/13/17 11:00 AM Re: "Platoon" of three or more 18 wheelers on interstates [Re: 360view]
McCandlessboy Offline
super stock

The rig I tow for my cars is big. I have more than enough power to pull around almost anyone, even when fully loaded. That doesn't change Aholes who don't want to get passed. We've all experienced this in a car. You get behind someone, you get a chance to pass and they magically speed up 10mph. The first time my girlfriend rode with me taking the hauler, she was shocked at how awful people were and the lack of respect for being such a huge rig. People have no concept of what is going on around them. While I'm sure there are a hole drivers who pull out to block traffic, there are just as many, if not more, a hole drivers trying to screw with the big rigs. It's why I have dashboard cameras to document whatever dumb crap someone does.

#2386833 - 10/13/17 11:06 AM Re: "Platoon" of three or more 18 wheelers on interstates [Re: srt]
Mastershake340 Online   content

Loc: Crook County, ILL
Not that it justifies the passing on hills situation, but many OTR tractor trailers are speed limited these days. And the limit is specified by the trucking company when they order the tractors for their fleet. So a trucker is on the highway doing 62 in a truck that's got a 63 mph speed limiter, comes across another rig doing 60. He's got to either slow down, or take a while to pass the slower rig as he can't go faster than 63.
As far as autonomous trucks, one of the goals is to keep the rigs on the road more hours, maybe even close to 24/7, rather than be limited by drivers mandated rest periods. So don't hold out too much hope they will only be doing that at night!

#2386837 - 10/13/17 11:15 AM Re: "Platoon" of three or more 18 wheelers on interstates [Re: Mastershake340]
BSharp Offline
master

Loc: Virginia
Looks like the days of truck drivers may be numbered anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb0Kzb3haK8

#2386861 - 10/13/17 12:00 PM Re: "Platoon" of three or more 18 wheelers on interstates [Re: DaveRS23]
ChryCoGuy Offline
master

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By DaveRS23
When we get start getting numbers of those autonomous trucks on the road, I'm afraid they'll stack up in both lanes and there won't be a thing we can do about it.

Don't worry, your autonomous car (that will be mandated for you to 'drive') will know what to do... laugh2

#2386864 - 10/13/17 12:02 PM Re: "Platoon" of three or more 18 wheelers on interstates [Re: 360view]
360view Offline
master

Dash cameras front and rear are a good investment. If we are honest they also have an effect on our own behavior, for the better.

#2386866 - 10/13/17 12:05 PM Re: "Platoon" of three or more 18 wheelers on interstates [Re: 360view]
Iowan Offline
mopar

Loc: Lost in Time
Trucks are limited. 67 65 62 71 who knows.
But they are goini as fast as possible. I know it's on the mat..........

"obsolete is neat"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Forum Stats
25,002 Registered Members
32 Forums
185,304 Topics
2,146,912 Posts

Most users ever online: 882 @ 03/05/17 10:15 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Can anyone Identify this old Tach?