10/09/17 10:32 PM
10/09/17 10:32 PM
SE Wisconsin, USA
RP's R/T's Offline OP
super stock
RP's R/T's  Offline OP
super stock

SE Wisconsin, USA
It appears that the LH and RH parts have wrinkle black on them.
Has anyone repainted these?
Do you need to completely strip off the old paint? Sand it?
Anything special about painting these with wrinkle black?

Re: E-Body Radio and Heater control Panel Resto [Re: RP's R/T's] #2385080
10/10/17 02:00 PM
10/10/17 02:00 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
I repainted mine. I think they turned out nice. I sanded off the original paint as best I could on the heater controls. I'm trying to remember my exact process...it's been about 5 years.

I think I sprayed the entire heater control panel with SEM Trim Black first. Then I masked off the center before spraying the wrinkle paint. I used VHT brand since that's what the local parts store carried. I sprayed it per the instructions on the can. I think they say to spray a medium coat followed by two wet coats 90 degrees from each other.(read the can) I put my panels out in the sun to help them dry/wrinkle. You can also use a heat gun on a low setting to speed up the process.

I let the wrinkle paint dry for a long time. I think I left it in the basement for 3 weeks before continuing. Next, I used a paint pen to redo the white letters. I had a steady hand so this was pretty easy. I did have to go over them twice to get the white really white.(let it completely dry between coats) The last thing I did was mask it for the "chrome" border. I misted a couple coats of chrome spray paint. That chrome paint does weird things if you spray it too heavy.

The radio bezel was easy. The wrinkle was still in good shape and wasn't flaking off so I just sprayed on top of the original stuff.

before

after

Re: E-Body Radio and Heater control Panel Resto [Re: RP's R/T's] #2385136
10/10/17 03:56 PM
10/10/17 03:56 PM
Ashland City, Tennessee
A
Aar1064 Offline
enthusiast
Aar1064  Offline
enthusiast
A

Ashland City, Tennessee
I used VHT wrinkle plus on mine. This stuff was really hard for me to get perfect because humidity and temperature play a huge roll in outcome.

Heater control panel turned out great the first time but it took three times to get it right on the radio bezel. One spot about the size of a quarter would not wrinkle so I ended up putting some spray can clear primer before wrinkle and then it took.

Yes you have to wet sand smooth with 400 grit. Then spray 2 medium coats and let cure naturally not using a heat gun. Takes about two hours depending on temperature to cure and wrinkle up.

Option: use primer mentioned above under wrinkle.