Topic Options
#2382053 - 10/04/17 06:47 PM Out of state car buyers. Gotta question for you
mopararmy Offline
super stock

Loc: Missourah
Found a car about 700 miles from me and everything seems legit except the title. Car has a title but the bank has a lien on it. Not that I don't trust the person to mail it to me once the dmv sends it to him, but I don't trust it and I'm not into driving another 1400 miles for it or hoping it gets put in the mail.
Anyone have any advice on how they dealt with it, if they have?
Would a contract notarized at the bank that holds it hold any weight if it had to go to court?

#2382056 - 10/04/17 07:09 PM Re: Out of state car buyers. Gotta question for you [Re: mopararmy]
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

Loc: On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
In this case it's all on HIM, so, tell him to fix the problem, then mail the title so you KNOW it's clear, BEFORE you send him any money. If he wants to sell it bad enough, he'll fix the problem, send you the title to prove it's clear, and trust you to send the money.

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

#2382288 - 10/05/17 06:06 AM Re: Out of state car buyers. Gotta question for you [Re: mopararmy]
MI_Custumz Offline
master

Loc: Port Huron, Michigan
If the lien holder is a local bank, drive there and you pay it off and get the bank to sign off on the title right there.

#2382399 - 10/05/17 11:48 AM Re: Out of state car buyers. Gotta question for you [Re: mopararmy]
a12rag Offline
top fuel

Loc: Calgary, Alberta Canada
There is no way I would buy a car with a lien still on it . . . I had a deal "pending" with a used car dealer. Did my due diligence and went to our registry to do a lien search on the car, sure enough, there was one. The dealer advised that the lien would be removed 10 days after the car sale went through . . . . uhhhh, NO !!! I got TWO other versions after I said NO, to the lien being released. I walked . . . as was mentioned earlier, I would put it on the seller to have it cleared up prior to sale. If they need your $$$ to clear up the lien, then I would go with them to the bank and make sure the bank gets paid first and lien discharged in your presence.

Not to say I don't trust anyone, but heck, it is YOUR $$$$ . . . and you need to protect yourself !!

Good luck !!

Mark

#2382841 - 10/06/17 02:58 AM Re: Out of state car buyers. Gotta question for you [Re: mopararmy]
BigMoneyLewis Offline
master

Loc: Alabama
The seller needs to get his title straight BEFORE he ever lists the car for sale.

Greg

#2383262 - 10/06/17 11:29 PM Re: Out of state car buyers. Gotta question for you [Re: mopararmy]
jaque Offline
pro stock

Loc: chicago,il
just did it with hellcat, went to bank, guy payed off balance, chase gave him waiver of lien and sent title to him in 2 days,, simple.. shruggy

#2383567 - 10/07/17 06:33 PM Re: Out of state car buyers. Gotta question for you [Re: a12rag]
mopararmy Offline
super stock

Originally Posted By a12rag
There is no way I would buy a car with a lien still on it . . . I had a deal "pending" with a used car dealer. Did my due diligence and went to our registry to do a lien search on the car, sure enough, there was one. The dealer advised that the lien would be removed 10 days after the car sale went through . . . . uhhhh, NO !!! I got TWO other versions after I said NO, to the lien being released. I walked . . . as was mentioned earlier, I would put it on the seller to have it cleared up prior to sale. If they need your $$$ to clear up the lien, then I would go with them to the bank and make sure the bank gets paid first and lien discharged in your presence.

Not to say I don't trust anyone, but heck, it is YOUR $$$$ . . . and you need to protect yourself !!

Good luck !!

Mark

I asked the guy to get a hold of his bank and see if they would do all the paperwork if I met him there. Haven't heard from him so...
Still don't know if I trust him to mail the title after he gets it but that's just me.
Back to searching I guess

#2383662 - 10/07/17 10:43 PM Re: Out of state car buyers. Gotta question for you [Re: mopararmy]
Sunroofcuda Offline
master

Loc: Highland, MI.
A little off from this same scenario, BUT as far as trusting the bank to sort it all out & make things official, listen to this one. A guy in my golf (Mike) league 2 years ago lists his 2012 Chrysler 300 for sale in the Detroit area. Guy from Chicago calls him, listens to the details & looks at all the photos & says he'll buy it for $19,000. He says he's sending a couple guys to get it the following week & they meet at the local bank where the loan needs to be paid off, & the title signed over. Two guys arrive & have a cashier's check, present it to the bank, bank OK's the check, sign off on the lien, the title is signed over, Mike hands them the keys, & away the guys go. The deal is done.

Two days later, Mike's bank calls him & says the check was counterfeit. The bank tells Mike he owes the $$ to them. Long story short, Mike calls the police & several days later, incredibly, they find the car in Wisconsin in the hands of the new owner - he had no idea the car was hot. The guy in WI. bought the car for $9900.00 cash, so they are out the $$ now. (notice how it was sold for under $10,000 so there was no report made with the bank?). Anyway, Mike had called his insurance company to report that the car had basically been "stolen" - but they asked him if he had handed them the keys (which he did), so they would not cover the loss. It was just damn lucky the car was recovered in good shape! The couple in WI. got screwed.
“Bear in mind that brains and learning, like muscle and physical skill, are articles of commerce. They are bought and sold. You can hire them by the year or by the hour. The only thing in the world not for sale is character.” (Antonin Scalia)

#2384129 - 10/08/17 08:01 PM Re: Out of state car buyers. Gotta question for you [Re: MI_Custumz]
ahy Offline
master

Loc: IN
Originally Posted By MI_Custumz
If the lien holder is a local bank, drive there and you pay it off and get the bank to sign off on the title right there.

I think this is best. Yes it takes a road trip and bunch of 100 $ bills but is most likely to have a happy ending. You get to see the car first which is really worth it also... . If the seller is honest and car correctly advertised just verification.

If otherwise, you may avoid a big unpleasant issue.

#2384134 - 10/08/17 08:21 PM Re: Out of state car buyers. Gotta question for you [Re: ahy]
mopararmy Offline
super stock

Originally Posted By ahy
Originally Posted By MI_Custumz

I think this is best. Yes it takes a road trip and bunch of 100 $ bills but is most likely to have a happy ending. You get to see the car first which is really worth it also... . If the seller is honest and car correctly advertised just verification.

If otherwise, you may avoid a big unpleasant issue.

That, I could work with. However, he says his bank would release the title to the dmv and get it a week later. About the only scenario I would try and if he were to agree to would be I go look at the car, pay only what it takes to release the title, take the car and when he mails the title with confirmation I would wire the rest of the money.

#2384164 - 10/08/17 08:49 PM Re: Out of state car buyers. Gotta question for you [Re: Sunroofcuda]
MuscleMopars Offline
master

Loc: North Central USA (MN-WI area)
Originally Posted By Sunroofcuda
A little off from this same scenario, BUT as far as trusting the bank to sort it all out & make things official, listen to this one. A guy in my golf (Mike) league 2 years ago lists his 2012 Chrysler 300 for sale in the Detroit area. Guy from Chicago calls him, listens to the details & looks at all the photos & says he'll buy it for $19,000. He says he's sending a couple guys to get it the following week & they meet at the local bank where the loan needs to be paid off, & the title signed over. Two guys arrive & have a cashier's check, present it to the bank, bank OK's the check, sign off on the lien, the title is signed over, Mike hands them the keys, & away the guys go. The deal is done.

Two days later, Mike's bank calls him & says the check was counterfeit. The bank tells Mike he owes the $$ to them. Long story short, Mike calls the police & several days later, incredibly, they find the car in Wisconsin in the hands of the new owner - he had no idea the car was hot. The guy in WI. bought the car for $9900.00 cash, so they are out the $$ now. (notice how it was sold for under $10,000 so there was no report made with the bank?). Anyway, Mike had called his insurance company to report that the car had basically been "stolen" - but they asked him if he had handed them the keys (which he did), so they would not cover the loss. It was just damn lucky the car was recovered in good shape! The couple in WI. got screwed.

Insurance should cover that, it's called theft by fraud. Did the new buyer give the car back without incident? He probably transferred the title before it was reported stolen so it appeared to be a clear title. What a mess...
715-426-HEMI
612-669-CARS

Go to my Moparts "Profile" to see my web site

#2384192 - 10/08/17 09:48 PM Re: Out of state car buyers. Gotta question for you [Re: MuscleMopars]
Sunroofcuda Offline
master

Loc: Highland, MI.
Originally Posted By MuscleMopars
[quote=Sunroofcuda]

Insurance should cover that, it's called theft by fraud. Did the new buyer give the car back without incident? He probably transferred the title before it was reported stolen so it appeared to be a clear title. What a mess...

The couple in WI. that were caught with the car had just gotten it a day or two before the police found it & they even had it detailed. I believe there was no incident. I think the Chicago dude was probably well insulated from the end sale cash transaction, so I don't know if their "contact" on the car led to finding the mastermind of the ring. Mike said his insurance company would NOT cover it as stolen because he had handed the keys over - apparently there is a catch there. It all sounded so wrong to me - namely his bank accepted & verified the CC, then stamped & signed off on the title. I would think his bank made the screwup when they OK'd the check, so they should stand behind their part. But no - not how it works! Anyway, he was LUCKY the car was found & in good shape.

Word to wise: sell a car nowadays, take CASH only, & have your bank verify the cash is legit. In the case of this transaction, if the buyer can bring a cashiers check, they can just as easily bring cash. Technology is too good these days & can even fool your bank.
“Bear in mind that brains and learning, like muscle and physical skill, are articles of commerce. They are bought and sold. You can hire them by the year or by the hour. The only thing in the world not for sale is character.” (Antonin Scalia)

#2384235 - 10/08/17 11:23 PM Re: Out of state car buyers. Gotta question for you [Re: mopararmy]
Trulyvintage Offline
Freighter

Loc: Direct Enclosed Transporter
You have no interest in the ownership in the eyes of the bank.

If you are paying off a lien - you are doing it indirectly - the lien release go to the person who has the loan - not you.

Actual lien releases are usually processed in banking facilities not usually visited by the public.

It can take weeks to process & mail a lien release.

I would not buy any vehicle that had a lien or encumbrance.

Jim drive

#2384262 - 10/09/17 12:32 AM Re: Out of state car buyers. Gotta question for you [Re: mopararmy]
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Fresno, CA
We bought a car that still showed a lien on the title (original owner said they couldn't find the title). I never checked the registration, but it was a $200 '86 Shelby Charger that did not run. This all occurred in the summer of '03. My son got it fixed and running. Then we discovered that Chrysler credit was still listed as a lien holder. The car had been paid off in 1990 and Chrysler just never bothered to send the title to the owner. They had pulled the same thing on me when I paid off my '86 in late 1989 (we had moved, the owner of the Charger had not).

Chrysler credit confirmed that it had been paid off, but it was a royal pain to get a notarized letter from them as every time we called we got a different person who had no idea how to put us in touch with the last person...

#2384267 - 10/09/17 01:05 AM Re: Out of state car buyers. Gotta question for you [Re: mopararmy]
EV2Bird Offline
On Vacation

Loc: Kansas Roads Between 0 and 140...
Not all ends poorly, five years ago I bought a car for 72,500 knowing there was a lien and the seller asked for a week to get the paperwork squared away after giving her the check, but did have a written contract, ect.

Actually it was a "Little old lady" hubby passed and she borrowed against the car, it was in her name and there three children so there was alot of paperwork to do.

Thinking more about it, I might of got lucky.

The only close catch was with all the notarized paperwork it almost looked like I paid each one 72,500 vs a single 72,500. I think a bigger city/dmv would of gave me grief.

But not an issue.

#2385857 - 10/11/17 06:15 PM Re: Out of state car buyers. Gotta question for you [Re: mopararmy]
mopararmy Offline
super stock

Anyone in Lincoln Nebraska got a few minutes to spare looking at a car?

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Forum Stats
24,902 Registered Members
32 Forums
184,345 Topics
2,135,929 Posts

Most users ever online: 882 @ 03/05/17 10:15 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Harper's Ferry, WV bound - any car events this weekend?
by MI_Custumz
10/23/17 02:00 AM
A body 18 spline 4 speed
by Genuinejed
10/23/17 12:39 AM
Neutral safety switch
by RAY1969CARS
10/22/17 11:20 PM
Love Machine (non-Mopar)
by FM3_1970
10/22/17 10:57 PM